Author Topic: Canadian Official Threatens to Prosecute Ann Coulter  (Read 4020 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Canadian Official Threatens to Prosecute Ann Coulter
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »
What in the world?  I'm not a Coulter fan, but this is absurd.

Monday, 22 Mar 2010   
By: David A. Patten

A Canadian university official is warning that best-selling conservative author Ann Coulter could be prosecuted -- for a speech she hasn’t even delivered yet.

The conservative firebrand, whose most recent best-seller is “Guilty: Liberal ‘Victims’ and Their Assault on America,” has received an invitation to address the university’s Campus Conservatives group.

Coulter frequently speaks to college conservatives and other organizations. But this is probably the first time she’s been threatened with criminal prosecution for a speech she hasn’t even delivered yet.

The apparent threat or warning came in an e-mail sent Friday afternoon by Francois Houle, the academic vice president and provost of the University of Ottawa.

Coulter’s response to the warning, provided in an e-mail to Newsmax: “The provost of the u. of Ottawa is threatening to criminally prosecute me for my speech there on Monday -- before I've even set foot in the country!”

According to the e-mail that Coulter forwarded to Newsmax, Houle says that while the university welcomes speakers and their free expression of ideas, “Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression.”

Houle then states: “For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges. Outside of the criminal realm, Canadian defamation laws also limit freedom of expression and may differ somewhat from those to which you are accustomed.

“I therefore ask you,” Houle continued, “while you are a guest on our campus, to weigh your words with respect and civility in mind. There is a strong tradition in Canada, including at this university, of restraint, respect and consideration in expressing even provocative and controversial opinions and urge you to respect that Canadian tradition while on our campus.”

In his parting shot, Houle remarked, “Hopefully, you will understand and agree that what may, at first glance, seem like unnecessary restrictions to freedom of expression do, in fact, lead not only to a more civilized discussion, but to a more meaningful, reasoned and intelligent one as well.”

The University of Ottawa Campus Conservatives’ Facebook page hardly sounds like the type of organization that would be promulgating hate speech. It describes its mission as promoting “universal Canadian value like freedom, democracy, and the rule of law, as well as question the size of and role that government should play in the life of Canadians.”

Newsmax contacted Houle’s office Sunday evening, and left an inquiry as to whether liberal speakers receive similar e-mails warning of possible criminal prosecution, prior to speaking on campus. There was no immediate response and the office was presumably closed for the weekend.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/ann-coulter-canada-speech/2010/03/22/id/353414

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Canadian Official Threatens to Prosecute Ann Coulter
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:50:40 PM »
How does a Canadian University Official = Canadian Official?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »
Sounds to me more like he did her a favour, and potentially saved her ass, ...although I would have much preferred she stepped in the poop and gotten herself arrested. She has made remarks in the past that would constitute illegal hate speech imo, which is an arrestable offense in this country. Had she repeated the same this side of the border and gotten arrested for it, she would probably be refused bail as constituting a flight risk... and officials would be debating whether to put her in a men's or women's prison (a confusion arising from the size of her Adam's apple)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
What in the world?  I'm not a Coulter fan, but this is absurd.

Monday, 22 Mar 2010   
By: David A. Patten

A Canadian university official is warning that best-selling conservative author Ann Coulter could be prosecuted -- for a speech she hasn’t even delivered yet.

The conservative firebrand, whose most recent best-seller is “Guilty: Liberal ‘Victims’ and Their Assault on America,” has received an invitation to address the university’s Campus Conservatives group.

Coulter frequently speaks to college conservatives and other organizations. But this is probably the first time she’s been threatened with criminal prosecution for a speech she hasn’t even delivered yet.

The apparent threat or warning came in an e-mail sent Friday afternoon by Francois Houle, the academic vice president and provost of the University of Ottawa.

Coulter’s response to the warning, provided in an e-mail to Newsmax: “The provost of the u. of Ottawa is threatening to criminally prosecute me for my speech there on Monday -- before I've even set foot in the country!”

According to the e-mail that Coulter forwarded to Newsmax, Houle says that while the university welcomes speakers and their free expression of ideas, “Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression.”

Houle then states: “For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges. Outside of the criminal realm, Canadian defamation laws also limit freedom of expression and may differ somewhat from those to which you are accustomed.

“I therefore ask you,” Houle continued, “while you are a guest on our campus, to weigh your words with respect and civility in mind. There is a strong tradition in Canada, including at this university, of restraint, respect and consideration in expressing even provocative and controversial opinions and urge you to respect that Canadian tradition while on our campus.”

In his parting shot, Houle remarked, “Hopefully, you will understand and agree that what may, at first glance, seem like unnecessary restrictions to freedom of expression do, in fact, lead not only to a more civilized discussion, but to a more meaningful, reasoned and intelligent one as well.”

The University of Ottawa Campus Conservatives’ Facebook page hardly sounds like the type of organization that would be promulgating hate speech. It describes its mission as promoting “universal Canadian value like freedom, democracy, and the rule of law, as well as question the size of and role that government should play in the life of Canadians.”

Newsmax contacted Houle’s office Sunday evening, and left an inquiry as to whether liberal speakers receive similar e-mails warning of possible criminal prosecution, prior to speaking on campus. There was no immediate response and the office was presumably closed for the weekend.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/ann-coulter-canada-speech/2010/03/22/id/353414

Oh brother... so the fact that his office is closed on a Sunday evening is suspicious how?  ::)
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:44:23 PM »
BB's title is misleading.

Jag, can you give some examples of hate speech by Coulter that would be illegal in Canada?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:48:24 PM »

Jag, can you give some examples of hate speech by Coulter that would be illegal in Canada?

he just copied NewsMaxs misleading headline

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »
I can't stand Coulter so I'm interested in an answer to this.  She gets away with a lot here.  I'm just curious of what she has said here that would put her behind bars in Canada?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:00:56 AM »

That'd require my going over many of her past comments, ...and I'd prefer not to do that for obvious reasons. but if I happen to come across a statement from the past and it doesn't make me vomit all over my keyboard, or make my head explode, I'll seek out this thread and provide an example... if I remember.

I can't remember exactly who said it, but anyone who refers to any particular ethnic or religious group as vermin that need to be exterminated crosses the line and has committed an arrestable offense in Canada.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
If this is a state school, then the title is not misleading.  If it's a prviate school then yes.  In any event, first line of the story says "Canadian university official."  Big deal. 

But regarding the merits of the story, this is crazy.  Stories like these just reinforce what a great country we live in. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »
If this is a state school, then the title is not misleading.  If it's a prviate school then yes.  In any event, first line of the story says "Canadian university official."  Big deal. 

But regarding the merits of the story, this is crazy.  Stories like these just reinforce what a great country we live in. 

by that logic you can now call any state employee a "state official"

the intent of the title was to mislead but then thats the intent of every article on that propaganda site

only schmucks who like being lied to would get their news from that site

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »
Stories like these just reinforce what a great country we live in. 

Yep, but our worthless politicians are working on changing that...  >:(
S

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »

hahaha you know nothing about Canada, don't try to pretend you do.  As if he is some sort of spokesperson for Canada.  That would be like saying some tea party person who receives medicare or medicaid is a government spokesperson because well they are funded by the govt right?

Abandon every hope...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
Yep, but our worthless politicians are working on changing that...  >:(

Sad but true.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
hahaha you know nothing about Canada, don't try to pretend you do.  As if he is some sort of spokesperson for Canada.  That would be like saying some tea party person who receives medicare or medicaid is a government spokesperson because well they are funded by the govt right?

Who is pretending?  I don't know squat about Canada.  Well actually, I know they put out some very smart people (joker), some warped people (the twisted sister), and some very good singers (Michael Buble). 

In any event, I think "Canadian university official" is probably more accurate, but I have no problem calling one of the leaders of a state university (if that's what it is) a "state official."  They're no different than the head of any other state agency IMO.  For example, I think the president of the University of Hawaii is as much a "state official" as the director of the Department of Business and Economic Development. 

But of course none of this has anything to do with the story. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »
Sounds to me more like he did her a favour, and potentially saved her ass, ...although I would have much preferred she stepped in the poop and gotten herself arrested. She has made remarks in the past that would constitute illegal hate speech imo, which is an arrestable offense in this country. Had she repeated the same this side of the border and gotten arrested for it, she would probably be refused bail as constituting a flight risk... and officials would be debating whether to put her in a men's or women's prison (a confusion arising from the size of her Adam's apple)

This is typical of a Jag post.She is very offended at Coulters hate speech[of course cant give one freaking example of it,I guess she needs Maddow to point it out for her because she is too dumb to figure it out for herself]then ends her sensitivity to hate speech by questioning Coulters sexuality and using vicous hate speech.

This is typical of all libs,very offended at hate speech but use it anytime they want.This is why Id love to run into Jag sometime to see if she had the fucking balls[Im sure she does have balls no way a women could be that fucking ugly]to say insults to peoples faces.My bet, she and her uncut three inches would be pissing down her leg in a one on one confrontation.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
Actually, we have very strong speech laws here.

Some Universities are very upset that a controversial speaker/politician from the UK was not allowed onto Canada(George Galloway).
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/03/30/galloway.html

They think Ann Coulter should be held to the same level.
Z

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Actually, we have very strong speech laws here.

Some Universities are very upset that a controversial speaker/politician from the UK was not allowed onto Canada(George Galloway).
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/03/30/galloway.html

They think Ann Coulter should be held to the same level.

Sounds like Coulter should appear by video too.  Do they have anything similar to the First Amendment in Canada? 

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »
Sounds like Coulter should appear by video too.  Do they have anything similar to the First Amendment in Canada? 

Not quite.
Everything has to be pass a test for reasonableness.

However, she will be fine.
GWB was in Canada about 2 months ago and he wasn't arrested.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html#anchorbo-ga:l_I-gb:s_2
Rights and freedoms in Canada

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.
Fundamental Freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.
Z

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »

pssssst: there's no such thing as a "state school". We don't have states in Canada.  :-[
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »
Not quite.
Everything has to be pass a test for reasonableness.

However, she will be fine.
GWB was in Canada about 2 months ago and he wasn't arrested.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html#anchorbo-ga:l_I-gb:s_2
Rights and freedoms in Canada

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.
Fundamental Freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

Thanks.  Sounds just like the First Amendment, which also has a number of restrictions.  But the "reasonableness" standard does sound a bit lower than the standard used in the U.S.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »
pssssst: there's no such thing as a "state school". We don't have states in Canada.  :-[

Whatever the heck you call them.  Government controlled, whatever. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »

Main Entry: 1state
7 a : one of the constituent units of a nation having a federal government

S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
Main Entry: 1state
7 a : one of the constituent units of a nation having a federal government

:)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
If he doesn't have the authority to prosecute or start the process then the title is misleading.  What kind of university offical anywhere has that? lol...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 08:31:10 PM »
I could care less about Canada one way or the other.  But, she will have to respect their laws when visiting so it might behoove her to have her speech looked over by somebody knowledgeable.