Author Topic: Moves I wish people would quit selling.  (Read 4158 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Moves I wish people would quit selling.
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »
Cena's FU or whatever he calls it.  No more impressive than a back drop.

Abdominal stretches.

Various lame nerve holds.

"Double" anything.  Dropkicks, suplexs, DDTs, etc...  Mirrored moves are stupid.

Head into the steel post.  Used to be this was a match ending move if you did it and the ref didn't see.  Blood everywhere.  Unconsciousness.  Babyfaces rushing out to aid.  Stretcher to the back.  Now it happens 50x each match.

Chair shots.  (used to death)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Moves I wish people would quit selling.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
Cena's FU or whatever he calls it.  No more impressive than a back drop.

Abdominal stretches.

Various lame nerve holds.

"Double" anything.  Dropkicks, suplexs, DDTs, etc...  Mirrored moves are stupid.

Head into the steel post.  Used to be this was a match ending move if you did it and the ref didn't see.  Blood everywhere.  Unconsciousness.  Babyfaces rushing out to aid.  Stretcher to the back.  Now it happens 50x each match.

Chair shots.  (used to death)
If pro wrestling went by your standards, they would be out of business quicker then I can blink an eye.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
Gotta agree that Cena's finisher is seriously lame. It's just a body slam off the top of his shoulders.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:32:47 PM »
the undertaker tombstone is a very lame move...
 >:(

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
A lot of moves suck.
It’s the guy who does them & the poor bastard who has to sell them that makes them mean something.

The “Rock Bottom” was basically a shove.
The “People’s Elbow” was an ordinary elbow preceded by some ridiculous back & forth horseshit off the ropes.
If anyone else did that, the audience would laugh at how stupid it looks and the match would continue.
But, when Rock does it, it’s “electrifying,” as Rock managed to turn an elbow into a finisher.

When Jake Roberts did a DDT, it signaled the end of the match.
Then, guys started doing them during their matches and kept on going.
Now, the standard way to sell a DDT is to take the move, do a somersault, and wrestle for 10 more minutes.
Same move in both instances, but each with very different meanings.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
The two worst moves for me have always been:

The Back Rake - Always ridiculous.

The Catapult - As if you could generate enough momentum!  It always looks stupid when the opponent gets vertical then quite obviously jumps into the turnbuckle.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 04:51:12 AM »
I really don't mind any of the above moves, as long as they are sold and performed properly.  In the context of ring psychology, they could all be used.  The problem is really the lack of ring psychology, as moves are just strung together, poorly performed with no context.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 06:26:30 AM »
I really don't mind any of the above moves, as long as they are sold and performed properly.  In the context of ring psychology, they could all be used.  The problem is really the lack of ring psychology, as moves are just strung together, poorly performed with no context.
Bullseye. Like I said, if WWE went by everyones standards here they would be out of business.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:43:39 AM »
Bullseye. Like I said, if WWE went by everyones standards here they would be out of business.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not a big high-spotfest kinda guy.  I think the occasional "tease finisher" should be used, but save the "piledriver from the balcony" stuff for a big ending, or better yet to put a guy out of action.  Seems like someone on here referred to not liking the jumping bean style of wrestling, where luchas just do high spot after high spot with no selling.

I can appreciate the athleticism, but I think fans are way too jaded as to what constitues a great match or move.  It's like dumbasses that say Flair couldn't work, or Race or Rhodes.....those guys told a story before, during and after a match.  They sucked you into suspending belief for awhile.  I miss it.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 07:48:09 AM »
Thank god no one does the Drag-Face-Along-Top-Rope to blind their opponent anymore.

Or the headlock and then the sneaky thumb to the throat behind the ref's back.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »
As well as Hogans Leg Drop. Machos Elbow. How's about that weak a$$ Warrior splash. Another seriously weak finisher is Big Shows KO punch. If that guy had an open face shot that he was able to step into? Few people on Earth could take that shot and live.

What? you're crazy. Macho man's flying elbow off the top rope was badass. Much different and much more effective as a finisher than Shawn Michael's elbow, which is just a set up for SCM.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »
I agree on Cena's finisher. The problem is that there's no direct downward force as opposed to a DDT or a Powerbomb.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »
What? you're crazy. Macho man's flying elbow off the top rope was badass. Much different and much more effective as a finisher than Shawn Michael's elbow, which is just a set up for SCM.
Randy Savage's flying elbow was major badass back in the day.
As was Jake Robert's DDT.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »

True on both accounts.  I also loved Snuka's Superfly.....but that wouldn't finish anybody in todays wrestling world.... :-\

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »

I'll never understand why Savage agreed to allow the Ultimate Warrior to kick out of a pinfall after 5 elbow drops in their Wrestlemania retirement match. Then the Warrior was allowed to put his foot on Savage's chest to pin him?? Vince must have paid Savage a shit load of $ to agree to that. Made Savage look weak for the rest of his career, IMO.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
I'll never understand why Savage agreed to allow the Ultimate Warrior to kick out of a pinfall after 5 elbow drops in their Wrestlemania retirement match. Then the Warrior was allowed to put his foot on Savage's chest to pin him?? Vince must have paid Savage a shit load of $ to agree to that. Made Savage look weak for the rest of his career, IMO.
Savage IMO was the best performer, hands down. He did what he believed was best for the business. He was a great entertainer and always put on a great show. A great heel and a good face, either way. Warrior was over at that point and time so Savage helped build him even more by allowing Warrior to win with a clean finish like that. Of caurse, the ungrateful selfish son of a bitch Warrior didn't appreciate that.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
I hear ya but a foot on the chest for the pinfall? Absolute bush league.

You won't find that happening in today's wrestling between two top established stars. Neither star's ego would allow it. Only in squash matches.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
I hear ya but a foot on the chest for the pinfall? Absolute bush league.

You won't find that happening in today's wrestling between two top established stars. Neither star's ego would allow it. Only in squash matches.
Ya, that was pretty silly. At best Warrior should have pinned him with a hooked leg.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 04:45:07 AM »
Savage was no doubt one of the greatest superstars ever. He mixed it up with everyone. Andre and $. The ring Bell incident. I wasn't fond of the Flair/Macho fued for Mania but Savage always brings his A game. I loved the Warrior/Slaughter match when he interfered. I saw Warrior/Savage cage match in MSG. Savage did his elbow from the top of the cage. When Savage climbed to the top and put his arms up like he always did right before he jumped. The crowd went sick! He nailed him and then Warrior kicked out of the pin. Stupid. That retirement match was disappointing as well. But not as much as seeing Warrior pin the Immortal One.
Chef, you didn't like the Flair / Savage fued? I thought they mixedit up really well. Even when it was rekindled in WCW. I hated the fact the Savage won the title at WM8. They should have kept the title on Flair till at least SS at Wembly.

When Hogan got pinned by Warrior, I was so disappointed. I hated that and it still bothers me to this day believe it or not.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 07:14:02 AM »
Warrior = $$$ That's why Vince kept bringing him back. He made the federation a ton of dough, despite how much of an asshole he was. Therefore, Warrior was allowed to no-sell anytime he wanted even against the best opponents.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 07:17:24 AM »
Warrior = $$$ That's why Vince kept bringing him back. He made the federation a ton of dough, despite how much of an asshole he was. Therefore, Warrior was allowed to no-sell anytime he wanted even against the best opponents.

It was also part of his charactor. That built Warrior-like babyface with the maniacal edge to him. His charactor was awesome. His attitude was what ruined it all. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »
Warrior is no doubt of high intelligence and undoubtedly was a shrewd negotiator during his wrestling days. After all, he won the licensing rights to his character by legally chaging his name to Warrior. Pretty smart. You can read his conservative viewpoints on his website and can't help but agree with some of the thing he writes depending on your political point of view. He does come off like a pompous asshole, though.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »
Warrior is no doubt of high intelligence and undoubtedly was a shrewd negotiator during his wrestling days. After all, he won the licensing rights to his character by legally chaging his name to Warrior. Pretty smart. You can read his conservative viewpoints on his website and can't help but agree with some of the thing he writes depending on your political point of view. He does come off like a pompous asshole, though.
I totally agree with you on the fact that Warrior was smart. Very intelligent. He was very well spoken at the Steroid trial and he basically is the only wrestler out there that actually gave it to Vince up the ass. He sued him and was awarded 6 mill after 1996 when he took over the rights to the Warrior name. Why do you think Vince hates him so much.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »
Chef, you didn't like the Flair / Savage fued? I thought they mixedit up really well. Even when it was rekindled in WCW. I hated the fact the Savage won the title at WM8. They should have kept the title on Flair till at least SS at Wembly.

When Hogan got pinned by Warrior, I was so disappointed. I hated that and it still bothers me to this day believe it or not.

Actually Flair should have wrestled Hogan at WM8!!

And about the Warrior pinning Hogan? I agree with you, it still hurts. Even cried when I was a kid watching it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »

Actually Flair should have wrestled Hogan at WM8!!

And about the Warrior pinning Hogan? I agree with you, it still hurts. Even cried when I was a kid watching it.
They were booing the shit out of Warrior at Sky DOme when Hogan lost. Not 50/50 as the WWE would lead you to believe.