Author Topic: The liberal mindset on healthcare  (Read 5748 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: The liberal mindset on healthcare
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 08:07:58 AM »
how can you tell me it's unconstitutional in the the first paragraph and then in the second paragraph tell me your primary beef is "timing"

btw - if we've had a government takeover of health care then why did healthcare and related stocks go up the last two days. 
shouldn't investors be bailing out due to the imminent takover?

government takeover is a Frank Lunzt talking point

there is no takeover and I'm not going to wring my hands and worry over Republican predictions that the sky is falling

I'm willing to wait to see what happens (like I have a choice either way) and I guess we'll all know sooner or later who is correct and who is full of shit.....and more likely it will something in between to two

The provision which penalizes people for not purchasing healthcare is unconstitutitional in my opinion. The point that I am trying to make with respect to the legislation as a whole is that right now spending money irresponsibly when the country is in bad shape economically is in itself morally irresponsible. The left is trying to make this a moral issue, but in doing so they are ignoring the fact that their moral crusade is immoral and is going to hurt most Americans now and in the future.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »

The provision which penalizes people for not purchasing healthcare is unconstitutitional in my opinion. The point that I am trying to make with respect to the legislation as a whole is that right now spending money irresponsibly when the country is in bad shape economically is in itself morally irresponsible. The left is trying to make this a moral issue, but in doing so they are ignoring the fact that their moral crusade is immoral and is going to hurt most Americans now and in the future.

Apparently to most libs, bankrupting the nation is perfectly moral too. 

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 08:13:13 AM »
So unregulated lending caused people who couldn't afford houses to buy them?! When there was more regulation people cried tougher lending inherently standards were racist and and kept many minorities from the American dream. You can't have things both ways unless the taxpayer pays.

Problem is liberals will never take responsibility for their actions. They get their precious govt. to force the private sector to approve loans for their "right" to live in a house. Then big surprise they can't afford it, and of course it's the banks fault.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 08:14:46 AM »
Problem is liberals will never take responsibility for their actions. They get their precious govt. to force the private sector to approve loans for their "right" to live in a house. Then big surprise they can't afford it, and of course it's the banks fault.

The same thing is going to happen with health care now.  Whatever the govt takes over it destroys. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:32 AM »
 Right now it is--- thats forsure...This is one of the few situations where I actually hope I am wrong about everything. I'm not holding my breath though. I didn't like Obama but I wanted him to do well for the sake of the country and he has been a total disaster so far. I hope I am wrong about healthcare also-- but anyone looking at Obamacare objectively has to be worried.

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 08:21:24 AM »
The same thing is going to happen with health care now.  Whatever the govt takes over it destroys. 

Agree, I would like to know one program the federal govt. has run effectively.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »

Ask Straw - he thinks the post office is a massive success and works perfectly. 

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »
Well the post office lost 7 billion dollars last year. And continues to take more and more money from the reserve with absolutely no intention of paying any of it back. Unfortunately Lysander Spooner was shutdown by the govt many moons ago. If they wouldn't have forced him out, that is one less mess we would be in.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
This is a great way to combat the obesity crisis in America. :)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

What is the talk on this amongst you all in the legal profession?  Do most of you think it's unconstitutional?

I think the mandate's wrong, but to my mind, isn't social security a form of insurance?  (aside from being a huge scheme, of course).

Also, would it be more likely for the Supreme Court to grant cert if there were numerous different court rulings?  I suppose what I'm getting at is, would it be better for them to file suits separately, throughout the states, to get mixed rulings and increase the chance for the SC to hear it? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »
Ask Straw - he thinks the post office is a massive success and works perfectly. 

works fine for me

is it perfect?.....no....but what is

if you have a problem with it then stop using it

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »

Armed forces worked pretty well during World War II

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »
::)  ::)

The Federal Govt encouraged this behavior in the name of "fairness".  The Federal Reserve also made the money available for these crazy loans when the writing was on the wall.  The Govt created the home inflation and then allowed the subprime loans which were the only way people could afford the monthly payment to compensate for the inflated prices the govt itself caused. 

Perhaps they encouraged it but then they're not the only ones with gray matter between their ears. All those lenders saw the dollars mate, they didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts - and yes their actions were unregulated. Don't forget the subprime borrowers would have had to more stringent conditions on their loans as well. Still are you saying that wikipedia is lying?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 10:19:33 PM »
Obviously someone is reading it because you read it dumbass.

That does not mean it was anything worth writing or that anyone gives a shit.

I am also older than you, which makes your constant references to my age hysterical.
How do you know you are older than me when you don't know how old I am, shithead?

Clearly reading isn't your strong suit.

I have read and forgotten more books than you have read. My vocabulary and wit would easily bear witness to this fact should I choose to waste my literary skill on your pathetic ass.

Finally, shouldn't you and the rest of the brothers be on a street corner right now celebrating and dancing the same way you guys did when OJ was acquitted and when the LA riots took place? 

Get off my cock you primate.
LAME
This where the butthurt white trash cave dweller attempts to get "ethnic."hahahaha
You gotta do better than this...just pathetic. "OJ"? "L.A. riots"? You could at least try to bring your lame racist act into the 21st century. Dumb ass, dog hair smelling, white trash, cave dweller.
You invariably would want me "on your cock" but I don't switch hit, f@ggot.
!

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
works fine for me

is it perfect?.....no....but what is

if you have a problem with it then stop using it

Amazing that a liberal would be so selfish. It works fine for "you."

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 09:21:52 AM »

That does not mean it was anything worth writing or that anyone gives a shit. ( Obviously you gave a shit enough to respond. Also, the thread is a few pages long and has been viewed a few hundred times. I know that numbers above 10 are complex math for you, but I can assure you, these are bigger numbers than 10.)

How do you know you are older than me when you don't know how old I am, shithead? (Hey retard why don't you use your own logic. How do you know that you are older than me, since you constantly stalk my posts and always respond by first saying that I am younger than you?)

I have read and forgotten more books than you have read. My vocabulary and wit would easily bear witness to this fact should I choose to waste my literary skill on your pathetic ass. ( Yeah, I'm sure. Back issues of The Source magazine, the paper back version of "How Stella Got her Groove Back" and Roots by Alex Haley hardly transforms you into Shakespeare. Only a complete and utter moron would try to make the case for their intelligence by referencing how many books they have read.)

LAME
This where the butthurt white trash cave dweller attempts to get "ethnic."hahahaha
You gotta do better than this...just pathetic. "OJ"? "L.A. riots"? You could at least try to bring your lame racist act into the 21st century. Dumb ass, dog hair smelling, white trash, cave dweller.
You invariably would want me "on your cock" but I don't switch hit, f@ggot.

(WOW great comeback. ::) Also, terrific grammar on your part. I'll tell you what Rerun- below I have a modified translation that you will be able to comprehend without a dictionary and 12 hours of time  on your hands to interpret., Ready?....

Ill put this in language you can understand-- Kind of like Ebonics and ape cave dweller speak-- OOGA BOOGA BOOGA  SON. GET OFF MY DICK SON. OOGA BOOGA BOOGA. Get it ?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »

haha, that was a while back.  I think he means what program is currently working.  And having served in the military, there is a shitload of fraud, waste and abuse.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:28 AM »
What is the talk on this amongst you all in the legal profession?  Do most of you think it's unconstitutional?

I think the mandate's wrong, but to my mind, isn't social security a form of insurance?  (aside from being a huge scheme, of course).

Also, would it be more likely for the Supreme Court to grant cert if there were numerous different court rulings?  I suppose what I'm getting at is, would it be better for them to file suits separately, throughout the states, to get mixed rulings and increase the chance for the SC to hear it? 

The attorneys I know are pretty divided on this issue. Some believe that because the IRS is being put in place to monitor and direct that everyone purchase healthcare or be penalized, the issue (through technicality) becomes one of taxation, not the commerce clause. If that is indeed the case, then there is no way these lawsuits will be successful, at least on that particular section of the bill. Congress can tax and spend to death with pretty much zero judicial interference. I feel that this view is just a smokescreen for three reasons. First of all, from what I can tell, the provision at issue allows people to opt out by paying a onetime penalty ( Like 100 bucks or something). However, if that person becomes sick, they can simply jump back in and buy health insurance at the same rate as everyone else. That's not the way taxes in this country work. While the indigent don't pay taxes, the rest of us can't simply pay a onetime fee and then cease paying taxes until our house is on fire and we need the fire department to show up. Second of all, taxes are deducted from our income, capital gains, etc. However, taxes are not  supposed to be levied against individuals as penalties, they are not punitive in nature and they are not supposed to be issued against a particular group of individuals spanning across all 50 states simply because they don't want to purchase something. Finally, on commerce clause grounds, case law is very cut and dried—Congress can legislate over any activity that effects interstate commerce, including intra state commerce that when taken in the aggregate can have a measured effect on interstate commerce. However, never in the history of this country has one piece of legislation twisted and expanded the notion of interstate commerce into virtual omnipotence. If the government can now mandate every  American purchase health insurance or be penalized, what’s next? Will everyone have to drive a Prius or be penalized because lower emission vehicles reduce global warming ? Does everyone have to become a vegetarian or be penalized because people who eat meat are generally less healthy than vegetarians and therefore are more likely to cause a strain on the healthcare system? The commerce clause can’t be used as a hammer to flatten the individual’s personal liberty.  
There are also 10th amendment issues, 14th amendment issues and the biggest issue nobody seems to be bringing up is whether or not these lawsuits constitute a political question.

Having 100 different state rulings will probably force the Supremes to grant cert., but overall I think the best thing to do would be to roll the dice and just bring it all into the Supreme Court at once to get the issue settled.

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 06:54:30 PM »

I will concede the military is run much better than other govt. programs BTW...having to go back almost 70 years to prove a point is somewhat scary.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:54 AM »
In July, 1798, Congress passed, and President John Adams signed into law “An Act for the Relief of Sick and Disabled Seamen,” authorizing the creation of a marine hospital service, and mandating privately employed sailors to purchase healthcare insurance.

This legislation also created America’s first payroll tax, as a ship’s owner was required to deduct 20 cents from each sailor’s monthly pay and forward those receipts to the service, which in turn provided injured sailors hospital care. Failure to pay or account properly was discouraged by requiring a law violating owner or ship's captain to pay a 100 dollar fine.

This historical fact demolishes claims of “unprecedented” and "The Constitution nowhere authorizes the United States to mandate, either directly or under threat of penalty...”

Perhaps these somewhat incompetent attorneys general might wish to amend their lawsuits to conform to the 1798 precedent, and demand that the mandate and fines be linked to implementing a federal single payer healthcare insurance plan.

http://open.salon.com/blog/paul_j_orourke/2010/03/24/news_pres_signs_h-care_insurance_mandate-212_years_ago
Abandon every hope...

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »
In July, 1798, Congress passed, and President John Adams signed into law “An Act for the Relief of Sick and Disabled Seamen,” authorizing the creation of a marine hospital service, and mandating privately employed sailors to purchase healthcare insurance.

This legislation also created America’s first payroll tax, as a ship’s owner was required to deduct 20 cents from each sailor’s monthly pay and forward those receipts to the service, which in turn provided injured sailors hospital care. Failure to pay or account properly was discouraged by requiring a law violating owner or ship's captain to pay a 100 dollar fine.

This historical fact demolishes claims of “unprecedented” and "The Constitution nowhere authorizes the United States to mandate, either directly or under threat of penalty...”

Perhaps these somewhat incompetent attorneys general might wish to amend their lawsuits to conform to the 1798 precedent, and demand that the mandate and fines be linked to implementing a federal single payer healthcare insurance plan.

http://open.salon.com/blog/paul_j_orourke/2010/03/24/news_pres_signs_h-care_insurance_mandate-212_years_ago

You have a point, with the first part, the second not so.  Just because it was 1798 doesn't mean it wasn't unconstitutional.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:07 AM »
You have a point, with the first part, the second not so.  Just because it was 1798 doesn't mean it wasn't unconstitutional.

That did not apply to the entire population. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »

When a founding father who helped write the constitution passes into a law a mandate for private citizens to purchase insurance i can guess he figured it was constitutional.  Just as i figure Obama and his team believe it's constitutional now. 
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
That did not apply to the entire population. 

That is your argument in rebuttal?  really?  That's weak dude.
Abandon every hope...

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2010, 12:07:31 PM »
LOL @ KC

That's the only rebuttal that matters. Pulling up an obscure law from 200+ years ago to  rationalize the unconstitutional nature of Obamacare is really grasping for straws.  Obamacare is unconstitutional precisely because it applies to everybody. The law you described only applied to shipowners (with respect to penalties) and sailors. By posting this practically ancient law to support your argument, you unintentionally demonstrated how weak your argument is.