Author Topic: Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot  (Read 3561 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
So how will the board's resident potheads be voting on this? 

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot
Supporters of the initiative collected well more than the 433,971 signatures needed for it to go before voters in the fall, again putting the state at the forefront of the nation's drug debate.
By John Hoeffel

March 25, 2010

An initiative to legalize marijuana and allow it to be sold and taxed will appear on the November ballot, state election officials announced Wednesday, triggering what will probably be a much-watched campaign that once again puts California on the forefront of the nation's debate over whether to soften drug laws.

The number of valid signatures reported by Los Angeles County, submitted minutes before Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline, put the measure well beyond the 433,971 it needed to be certified. Supporters turned in 694,248 signatures, collecting them in every county except Alpine. County election officials estimated that 523,531 were valid.

The measure's main advocate, Richard Lee, an Oakland marijuana entrepreneur, savored the chance to press his case with voters that the state's decades-old ban on marijuana is a failed policy.

"We're one step closer to ending cannabis prohibition and the unjust laws that lock people up for cannabis while alcohol is not only sold openly but advertised on television to kids every day," he said.

Lee, tapping $1.3 million from his businesses, has put together a highly organized campaign that he emphasized Wednesday would be led by a team of experienced political consultants, including Chris Lehane, a veteran operative who has worked in the White House and on presidential campaigns.

"There's all kinds of big professional politicos who are coming on board now to take it to the next level," Lee said.

Opponents have also started to put together their campaign. "There's going to be a very broad coalition opposing this that will include law enforcement," said John Lovell, a Sacramento lobbyist who represents the California Police Chiefs Assn. and other law enforcement groups. "We'll educate people as to what this measure really entails."

The measure, like the medical marijuana initiative, could put California on a collision course with the federal government. The possession and sale of marijuana remain a federal crime.

This month, President Obama's drug czar, R. Gil Kerlikowske, decried legalization in a speech to police chiefs in San Jose.

The initiative would allow adults 21 or older to possess up to an ounce for personal use.

Possession of an ounce or less has been a misdemeanor with a $100 fine since 1975, when Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown, who was then governor, signed a law that reduced tough marijuana penalties that had allowed judges to impose 10-year sentences.

Legalization supporters note that misdemeanor arrests have risen dramatically in California in the last two decades. The initiative would also allow adults to grow up to 25 square feet of marijuana per residence or parcel.

But the measure, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, goes further, allowing cities and counties to adopt ordinances that would authorize the cultivation, transportation and sale of marijuana, which could be taxed to raise revenue.

Supporters hope this feature will win over voters watching local governments jettison employees and programs in the midst of a severe budget crisis.

Three other marijuana legalization initiatives have been floated this year but are not expected to qualify for the ballot. One failed, one was withdrawn and one remains active.

Lovell said that the initiative would lead to increased marijuana use, cause the same kind of social ills as alcohol and tobacco and put more demands on law enforcement. He said voters are distressed by the medical marijuana law. "Neighborhoods feel very uncomfortable with these locations that have a lot of dope and a lot of cash," he said.

Lee countered that the state's experience with medical marijuana shows "the sky didn't fall." He said the measure would allow police to focus on serious crime, undercut Mexican drug cartels and make it harder for teenagers to buy marijuana.

Underscoring the importance the backing of law enforcement will play, Lee's campaign on Wednesday highlighted the support of retired Orange County Superior Court Judge James P. Gray, a former L.A. County deputy sheriff and Torrance police officer.

With polls showing that a slim majority of voters support legalization, the legalization campaign will be trying to appeal to a slice of undecided voters who are mostly mothers. "It's always easier for people to say no than to say yes for an initiative," said Mark Baldassare, the pollster for the Public Policy Institute of California.

Lee hopes to raise as much as $20 million. He will probably be able to tap a handful of wealthy advocates who have supported efforts to relax drug laws, including multibillionaire investor George Soros and George Zimmer, founder of the Men's Wearhouse. Zimmer has donated at least $20,000.

Lovell said he expected to raise less than his opponents but would have enough to get his message out.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-marijuana-initiative25-2010mar25,0,4756689.story

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
So how will the board's resident potheads be voting on this? 

Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot
Supporters of the initiative collected well more than the 433,971 signatures needed for it to go before voters in the fall, again putting the state at the forefront of the nation's drug debate.
By John Hoeffel

March 25, 2010

An initiative to legalize marijuana and allow it to be sold and taxed will appear on the November ballot, state election officials announced Wednesday, triggering what will probably be a much-watched campaign that once again puts California on the forefront of the nation's debate over whether to soften drug laws.

The number of valid signatures reported by Los Angeles County, submitted minutes before Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline, put the measure well beyond the 433,971 it needed to be certified. Supporters turned in 694,248 signatures, collecting them in every county except Alpine. County election officials estimated that 523,531 were valid.

The measure's main advocate, Richard Lee, an Oakland marijuana entrepreneur, savored the chance to press his case with voters that the state's decades-old ban on marijuana is a failed policy.

"We're one step closer to ending cannabis prohibition and the unjust laws that lock people up for cannabis while alcohol is not only sold openly but advertised on television to kids every day," he said.

Lee, tapping $1.3 million from his businesses, has put together a highly organized campaign that he emphasized Wednesday would be led by a team of experienced political consultants, including Chris Lehane, a veteran operative who has worked in the White House and on presidential campaigns.

"There's all kinds of big professional politicos who are coming on board now to take it to the next level," Lee said.

Opponents have also started to put together their campaign. "There's going to be a very broad coalition opposing this that will include law enforcement," said John Lovell, a Sacramento lobbyist who represents the California Police Chiefs Assn. and other law enforcement groups. "We'll educate people as to what this measure really entails."

The measure, like the medical marijuana initiative, could put California on a collision course with the federal government. The possession and sale of marijuana remain a federal crime.

This month, President Obama's drug czar, R. Gil Kerlikowske, decried legalization in a speech to police chiefs in San Jose.

The initiative would allow adults 21 or older to possess up to an ounce for personal use.

Possession of an ounce or less has been a misdemeanor with a $100 fine since 1975, when Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown, who was then governor, signed a law that reduced tough marijuana penalties that had allowed judges to impose 10-year sentences.

Legalization supporters note that misdemeanor arrests have risen dramatically in California in the last two decades. The initiative would also allow adults to grow up to 25 square feet of marijuana per residence or parcel.

But the measure, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, goes further, allowing cities and counties to adopt ordinances that would authorize the cultivation, transportation and sale of marijuana, which could be taxed to raise revenue.

Supporters hope this feature will win over voters watching local governments jettison employees and programs in the midst of a severe budget crisis.

Three other marijuana legalization initiatives have been floated this year but are not expected to qualify for the ballot. One failed, one was withdrawn and one remains active.

Lovell said that the initiative would lead to increased marijuana use, cause the same kind of social ills as alcohol and tobacco and put more demands on law enforcement. He said voters are distressed by the medical marijuana law. "Neighborhoods feel very uncomfortable with these locations that have a lot of dope and a lot of cash," he said.

Lee countered that the state's experience with medical marijuana shows "the sky didn't fall." He said the measure would allow police to focus on serious crime, undercut Mexican drug cartels and make it harder for teenagers to buy marijuana.

Underscoring the importance the backing of law enforcement will play, Lee's campaign on Wednesday highlighted the support of retired Orange County Superior Court Judge James P. Gray, a former L.A. County deputy sheriff and Torrance police officer.

With polls showing that a slim majority of voters support legalization, the legalization campaign will be trying to appeal to a slice of undecided voters who are mostly mothers. "It's always easier for people to say no than to say yes for an initiative," said Mark Baldassare, the pollster for the Public Policy Institute of California.

Lee hopes to raise as much as $20 million. He will probably be able to tap a handful of wealthy advocates who have supported efforts to relax drug laws, including multibillionaire investor George Soros and George Zimmer, founder of the Men's Wearhouse. Zimmer has donated at least $20,000.

Lovell said he expected to raise less than his opponents but would have enough to get his message out.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-marijuana-initiative25-2010mar25,0,4756689.story

You don't need to smoke to want to legalise pot.
I hate the State.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:28:43 PM »
I dont smoke pot and I want ALL drugs made legal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »
You don't need to smoke to want to legalise pot.

True. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
ditto...and hookers...

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »
I don't smoke and I am ok with legalization as long as there is enforcement on the job, for driving and illegal to minors, similar to alcohol.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »
I don't smoke and I am ok with legalization as long as there is enforcement on the job, for driving and illegal to minors, similar to alcohol.

so what about the hookers?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
so what about the hookers?

I dont use them,but like POT I used to.I want all drugs legalised,prostitution legalised,gambling legalised.I dont want the government telling me I cant eat salt,not to smoke,how much to weigh,what to do,tell me to wear a seat belt.I want them to leave me the fuck alone.I dont need their help or advise.Protect the borders,keep the peace and pave the roads,thats it.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
I dont use them,but like POT I used to.I want all drugs legalised,prostitution legalised,gambling legalised.I dont want the government telling me I cant eat salt,not to smoke,how much to weigh,what to do,tell me to wear a seat belt.I want them to leave me the fuck alone.I dont need their help or advise.Protect the borders,keep the peace and pave the roads,thats it.

sounds good

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »
Bob right on point again. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
"Legalize it - don't criticize it
Legalize it and i will advertise it"

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »

SAME

No one has the right to tell others what they can put into their body!
S

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 03:32:04 PM »
whats any of this have to do with salt...
DAWG

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »
whats any of this have to do with salt...
Salt is dangerous and should be a controlled substance.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »
Salt is dangerous and should be a controlled substance.

;D
DAWG

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
;D

If the libs have their way in albany, it soon will be. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
Calif. pot vote isn't just hippies versus cops 
Posted 3/25/2010

By Lisa Leff And Marcus Wohlsen, Associated Press Writers
SAN FRANCISCO -- Now that a proposal to legalize pot is on the ballot in California, well-organized groups are lining up on both sides of the debate. And it's not just tie-dyed hippies versus anti-drug crusaders.
So far, the most outspoken groups on the issue are those affiliated with California's legal medical marijuana industry and law enforcement officials who vehemently oppose any loosening of drug laws.

But the campaign that unfolds before the November election could yield some unusual allies: free-market libertarians joining police officers frustrated by the drug war to support the measure, and pot growers worried about falling prices pairing with Democratic politicians to oppose it.

Others believe legalizing and taxing the drug could improve the state's flagging economy.

"We spend so much time, our police do, chasing around these nonviolent drug offenders, we don't have time anymore to protect our people from murders and child molesters," said Jack Cole, president of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, a group that plans to champion the California proposal between now and the election.

The initiative, also known as the "Tax Cannabis Act," received enough signatures this week to qualify for the November ballot. If it is approved, California would become the first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use by adults. The measure would also give local governments the authority to regulate and tax pot sales.

According to campaign finance records, nearly all of the more than $1.3 million spent on the campaign to qualify the question for the ballot came from businesses controlled by the proposal's main backer, Oakland medical marijuana entrepreneur Richard Lee.

Lee operates a medical marijuana dispensary and cafe in downtown Oakland and is the founder of Oaksterdam University, which trains people to run their own medical marijuana businesses. According to the school, more than 5,000 students have completed their programs.

The largest donations from an individual not connected to the marijuana business came from George Zimmer, founder and chief executive of the men's clothing chain Men's Wearhouse.

Television viewers know Zimmer as the Fremont-based company's longtime pitchman in commercials. But he is also known as a longtime supporter of efforts to liberalize the nation's drug laws.

Opponents contend that the legalization effort will pit a few wealthy individuals against regular Californians who will provide the groundswell needed to defeat the measure.

"You have rich dilettantes who want to legalize drugs and ordinary people who consider the ramifications of legalization on their communities and their families," said John Lovell, a lobbyist representing several law enforcement groups opposed to the initiative.

Lovell pointed to the lopsided defeat of a 2008 ballot issue that would have pushed treatment instead of prison for drug offenders as a sign of voters' leanings. Supporters of the measure heavily outspent opponents, but it was defeated 59 to 41 percent.

The anti-legalization campaign has not reported any contributions yet, but workers are reviewing what they believe are major flaws with the ballot initiative. They say the proposed law would allow pot to be grown in public parks and fail to prevent people with prior drug convictions from selling pot.

Meanwhile, some well-known liberals have come out against it, including the state's presumptive Democratic nominee for governor, Attorney General Jerry Brown.

Brown, who was seen in the 1970s as an icon of California's counterculture, told the San Francisco Chronicle earlier this month that he was "not going to jump on the legalization bandwagon."

"We're going to get a vote of the people soon on that, but I'm not going to support it," he said.

Legalized marijuana in California, the nation's most populous state, would represent a sea change in the nation's drug laws and put the state in direct conflict with the federal government because pot is still illegal in the eyes of federal officials.

On Thursday, a Department of Justice spokeswoman said it was too soon to speculate on whether federal authorities would sue to keep the measure from becoming law.

The administration relaxed its prosecution guidelines for medical marijuana last year, but President Barack Obama's drug czar has said the White House strongly opposes any efforts to legalize pot.

"Marijuana legalization, for any purpose, remains a non-starter in the Obama administration," Gil Kerlikowske, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, said last year. "It is not something that the president and I discuss. It isn't even on the agenda."

California in 1996 became the first of the 14 states that have legalized medicinal marijuana. Many jurisdictions around the country have also decriminalized marijuana to the point that low-level possession offenses are not prosecuted.

States such as California and Colorado have also been struggling to deal with an explosion in the number of medical marijuana dispensaries in recent years, a trend that has made pot readily available to the public.

A decision by California to legalize pot could lend momentum to the entire legalization movement, just like its historic 1996 law did for medical marijuana.

Legislators in Rhode Island are considering a plan to decriminalize pot, and a group in Nevada is pushing an initiative that marks the state's fourth attempt in a decade to legalize the drug.

Lawmakers in Washington state recently killed a plan to legalize the sale and use of marijuana, though lawmakers there did expand the pool of medical professionals who could prescribe the drug for medicinal use.

The ballot measure in California would allow people 21 years and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana, enough for dozens of joints. Residents also could grow their own crop of the plant in gardens measuring up to 25 square feet.

The proposal would ban users from using marijuana in public or smoking it while minors are present. It also would make it illegal to possess the drug on school grounds or drive while under its influence.

Proponents of the measure say legalizing marijuana could save the state $200 million a year by reducing public safety costs. At the same time, it could generate tax revenue for local governments.

Law enforcement officials are promising a vigorous fight to ensure that marijuana never becomes legal in California. They believe legalized marijuana would increase crime and violence, deepen the nation's drug culture and lead teenagers to abuse pot.

The California Police Chiefs Association, Mothers Against Drunk Driving and groups such as the youth-oriented Drug Abuse Resistance Education also plan to oppose the idea.

Not everyone in law enforcement is opposed to the measure, however.

"We believe by voting for that initiative you can actually save lives," Cole said.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=honoluluadvertiser&sParam=33121375.story

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
Legalize it.... But...

If you drive under the influence, the police get to beat the fck out of you.  Right then, right there.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 06:26:32 PM »
Legalize it.... But...

If you drive under the influence, the police get to beat the fck out of you.  Right then, right there.
Knowing the cops, it would be about 5 days until we are watching some guy on youtube beaten to death for smelling like patchouli.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »
maybe.  but anyone who is a big enough asshole to get in a vehicle fcked up at go 50+ mph is a POS who needs beaten.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »
maybe.  but anyone who is a big enough asshole to get in a vehicle fcked up at go 50+ mph is a POS who needs beaten.

I agree, but I'd rather keep the cops of out the judge, jury and executioner business as much as possible.  From the countless videos on the net of cops gone wild, they already do that enough.  I would hate to think were they would go with public approval.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
then have an awesome field sobriety test, saliva test, whatever.  get it all on video.

then kick the shit out of them.  cause the first innocent bystander that gets killed cause some 18-year old decided to bake for an hour then drive to his friends house...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
then have an awesome field sobriety test, saliva test, whatever.  get it all on video.

then kick the shit out of them.  cause the first innocent bystander that gets killed cause some 18-year old decided to bake for an hour then drive to his friends house...
Ok.  Trust me, I want people that drive under the influence to pay bigtime too.  It just sounds like you're making pot out to be the start of driving intoxicated/under the influence.  The problem has been around for ever.  I guess if legalizing it makes more of a problem on the road, then ok.  I'm not sure how it will be?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt people will run out and start driving after getting high BECAUSE pot is legal.  I even doubt people who don't smoke it now will run out to start it up.  The people who are smoking it now will probably be smoking it legal.  The ones that smoked it before and drove are probably the ones that will do it after it's legal too.  I just don't see the pot party going where some guy jumps up and says, "hey, let's go drive everybody!!!  Pot is legal!!!!"

But it's legal to drive on Salvia :D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
All drugs should be legalised.
I hate the State.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
This is the State and Feds way of dikking with the citizens. The supporters will not get anywhere near of what they voted for. Limitations is the word.
((-::