Author Topic: Was School Strip-Search Legal?  (Read 2220 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Was School Strip-Search Legal?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 08:53:41 PM »
well Ive seen doc post enough to think he was just trying to make a point...and I cant see that in certain instances how the parents wouldnt necissarily make a great decision but i still dont understand how ppl feel its ok for them to decide to have an elective procedure like abortion withoout parental consent but not any other surgery...or why they think it should be against the law for them to date men older than 18.
I'm not telling you to side against him.  If you agree with him most of the time that's cool.  But one of the points he clearly made in that thread was against the parents, pretty much calling them to stupid to be trusted.

Sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I don't.  It's just what it is.  I'm not going to back you on everything because I agree with you on some stuff.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
"If my kid can be strip searched on the word of another student, I'm not enrolling my kid in that school."

Every school i've taught in... has been exactly like that. if safety is an issue, they let the cop search the kid.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
I'm not telling you to side against him.  If you agree with him most of the time that's cool.  But one of the points he clearly made in that thread was against the parents, pretty much calling them to stupid to be trusted.

Sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I don't.  It's just what it is.  I'm not going to back you on everything because I agree with you on some stuff.
oh no I totally agree with you on that point...I think thats one of the reasons we have the legal age of consent b/c kids under that age generally cant make a informed decision based on all the relevant information and circumstances...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »
"If my kid can be strip searched on the word of another student, I'm not enrolling my kid in that school."

Every school i've taught in... has been exactly like that. if safety is an issue, they let the cop search the kid.

I never remember hearing about kids being strip searched at school ever growing up in Wyoming.  If that's the way the do it in Florida whatfuckingever.  I don't live down there and you don't live up here.  Here is what I would want to happen.  On the sole word of another student, fucking nothing.  Any student could be covering their own ass or that of a friend.  If there must be a search, the child held in the nurses office until a parent arrives to be witness since the child is underage PERIOD. I'm not even sure I agree with any of that.  If there is something illegal going on, the school should not take it into their own hands.  They should contact the police and report what they know and let an actual investigation into the matter take place.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »
the prob is that if you're lucky, you'll get 1 tip from a kid about the drug, gun, whatever.

if the administration doesn't act - and that kid sells drugs to a kid that dies... then everybody gets shitcanned, lawsuits, etc.

if they do act and the kid is guilty, nobody sues cause the kid is in deep shit.

if they search and find nothing, it's a case by case and they're better safe than sorry.

In the school I was at, they'd find a gun per month on kids - grade 6 to 8.  As a teacher who had to leave my own piece locked in trunk - I was damn happy the police were searching and expelling kids.  I was more worried about one of their immature, emotional 12 year old minds going blank and starting shooting, than I was about their rights. 

Wrong, yes.  But it is what it is.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
the prob is that if you're lucky, you'll get 1 tip from a kid about the drug, gun, whatever.

if the administration doesn't act - and that kid sells drugs to a kid that dies... then everybody gets shitcanned, lawsuits, etc.

if they do act and the kid is guilty, nobody sues cause the kid is in deep shit.

if they search and find nothing, it's a case by case and they're better safe than sorry.

In the school I was at, they'd find a gun per month on kids - grade 6 to 8.  As a teacher who had to leave my own piece locked in trunk - I was damn happy the police were searching and expelling kids.  I was more worried about one of their immature, emotional 12 year old minds going blank and starting shooting, than I was about their rights.  

Wrong, yes.  But it is what it is.
actually you're just wrong on this point.

If the school was tipped off to illegal activity, their only duty is to report it to the authorities.  I don't think they should have the right to launch their own investigation into accusations of illegal activity.  If this had been reported to authorities, chances are they could have come down and questioned everyone and got to the bottom of it before stipping a student was needed.  I would absolutely take my kid out of a school that made these choices.  Would you be as comfortable with your children being stripped on the word of another student?  Would you at least want to be there?

Interesting, the principle asked the student if she would consent to a search?  How do you think she would have answered if the principle asked if she would consent to being strip searched?  From what you're saying, the principle didn't even have to ask for her consent.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »
actually you're just wrong on this point.

If the school was tipped off to illegal activity, their only duty is to report it to the authorities.  I don't think they should have the right to launch their own investigation into accusations of illegal activity.  If this had been reported to authorities, chances are they could have come down and questioned everyone and got to the bottom of it before stipping a student was needed.  I would absolutely take my kid out of a school that made these choices.  Would you be as comfortable with your children being stripped on the word of another student?  Would you at least want to be there?
I agree with this, this is how my high school worked...we had drug sniffing dogs come in from time to time and they hit on my car one time and while the assistant principle was the one who informed me and communicated with me it was the police who conducted the investigation...which found nothing by the way

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
yeah - you are right there - the secretary shuldn't have done it - the school SRO should have done it - all legal then.

Of courtse I wouldn't want my kid to go thru that.  And I'd like to be there if so - with my lawyer - and the school did screw up there.

I went off on the tangent of a cop doing it - and I'm okay with it.  However, if nothing is found, the informant deserves a boot in the ass.

I dont know the law... I just know that in my old rough school, they'd call the cop, say they had suspicion, then they'd find a way to get to the bottom of it.  Most kids would crack in the room and just give up the pot, knife, whatever.  But some needed them to bring in a second officer and yea, they would sometimes have a .32 on them or whatever.  99% of the time it was in their backpack, which they can toss without permission.

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 09:34:05 PM »
hey in todays society kids wana act more and more like adults, and be treated more like adults at younger ages  so   being searched is just part of being treated as an adult,  life isnt fair  ,  learn it young and get over it

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
I was searched in high school by the principal, but she just did the ole empty your pockets, not a strip search.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
I was searched in high school by the principal, but she just did the ole empty your pockets, not a strip search.
hahah I got that a couple times too, I had a tongue ring in high school and the AP would make me stick out my tongue whenever she saw me to make sure i didnt have it in.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »
hahah I got that a couple times too, I had a tongue ring in high school and the AP would make me stick out my tongue whenever she saw me to make sure i didnt have it in.
LOL.  you had a tongue ring?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
This bitch searched me because she claimed I smelled like weed. ::)

Searched a couple of other times too, but hey, I never had to take off my clothes.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 09:46:55 PM »
This bitch searched me because she claimed I smelled like weed. ::)

Searched a couple of other times too, but hey, I never had to take off my clothes.
hahaha had a buddy who got his locker searched b/c they said he smelled like alcohol...didnt find anything but if i remember correctly they sent him home...he was drunk though

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
LOL.  you had a tongue ring?
LOL I did actually I still have the piercing even though I dont wear a stud anymore...I streched it down to a 2 gauge which is about the size of a pen but a tad smaller. I havent worn a stud in years so im starting to think it may never close...

I also had my labret pierced I think thats how you spell it...iono but I never streched that one

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
hahaha had a buddy who got his locker searched b/c they said he smelled like alcohol...didnt find anything but if i remember correctly they sent him home...he was drunk though
I was drunk off my ass and chuked in Algebra and the teacher didn't even send me to the nurse, she just gave me some gum and asked if I was OK. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
I was drunk off my ass and chuked in Algebra and the teacher didn't even send me to the nurse, she just gave me some gum and asked if I was OK. ;D
hahahhahaa  ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »
LOL I did actually I still have the piercing even though I dont wear a stud anymore...I streched it down to a 2 gauge which is about the size of a pen but a tad smaller. I havent worn a stud in years so im starting to think it may never close...

I also had my labret pierced I think thats how you spell it...iono but I never streched that one
Just never figured you for the type.  It's cool, not judging.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »

It won't.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »
Just never figured you for the type.  It's cool, not judging.
LOL thats ok you can judge me...now looking back I think it was pretty dumb myself I must have looked like an idiot to some ppl but ive never cared.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
It won't.
actually I kinda like the idea that it wont but its just kinda wierd that its been so long and its still there but then again i have a small divot in my chin from the labret piercing too hahahahha

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
LOL thats ok you can judge me...now looking back I think it was pretty dumb myself I must have looked like an idiot to some ppl but ive never cared.

naaa, I'm not going to call you out on it.  We all do shit in our teens that we wouldn't later, even if you had them in now I wouldn't judge.  It's not any of that, for some reason I just had you pictured as the strict traditional conservative type Texan, that's all.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
naaa, I'm not going to call you out on it.  We all do shit in our teens that we wouldn't later, even if you had them in now I wouldn't judge.  It's not any of that, for some reason I just had you pictured as the strict traditional conservative type Texan, that's all.
LOL well I am pretty conservative in terms of family values and society but I probably dont really look the part  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 02:51:03 AM »
lol what did chris rock say about tongue rings?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »
Was School Strip-Search Legal?
Case Pits Students' Privacy Rights vs. Need to Keep Drugs, Weapons Out of Schools

By REYNOLDS HOLDING
ABC News Law & Justice Unit

March 28, 2008

This article is two years old?  What's newsworthy about it now?  Did something happen with the case?