Author Topic: Was School Strip-Search Legal?  (Read 2232 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Was School Strip-Search Legal?
« on: March 28, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »
Was School Strip-Search Legal?
Case Pits Students' Privacy Rights vs. Need to Keep Drugs, Weapons Out of Schools

By REYNOLDS HOLDING
ABC News Law & Justice Unit

March 28, 2008

A student strip-searched for drugs when she was in eighth grade took her case to a federal appeals court on Wednesday, arguing through a lawyer that school officials had violated her constitutional rights by overzealously enforcing a strict policy against alcohol, narcotics – and, in her case, Ibuprofen.

(PhotoDisc/iStockphoto)

Savana Redding says she was "confused" and "ashamed" after the officials in Safford, Ariz., suspected her in 2003 of giving other students prescription Ibuprofen pills and ordered her to expose her breasts and pelvic area during a search in the school nurse's office. She denied having any pills, and none were found. Her mother later filed on her behalf a federal lawsuit claiming the search was unreasonable and therefore illegal.

"A strip search, particularly of an adolescent, is a grave invasion of privacy and should be reserved for emergency situations," Andrew Petersen, one of Redding's lawyers, said in a written statement. "The misguided actions of these school officials must not become the status quo in our nation's schools."

But a lawyer for the school district insisted that there were ample grounds for the search.

"When it comes to drugs and weapons," Matthew Wright said, "school districts just can't take the chance of not going forward and being sure."

The case is one of dozens that have recently challenged public schools on where to draw the line between the privacy rights of students and the need to keep drugs and violence out of the classroom. Courts have generally upheld school strip searches only when they were necessary to avoid a severe health or safety threat. But laws banning or strictly limiting such searches exist in seven states: California, Iowa, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Virginia and Wisconsin, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

Wednesday's argument was the third round in a legal fight that has been going on since 2004. On March 15, 2005, a U.S. district judge ruled in favor of the school district without a trial. Last year, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals in San Francisco upheld that ruling by a vote of 2-1. In January, the full court of appeals agreed to review the case, and it heard oral arguments Wednesday. A decision is not expected for at least several months

According to court documents, the dispute started in October 2003, when a student at Safford Middle School in Safford, Ariz., told the vice principal that Redding, then 13, and her friends were bringing drugs to school. A week later, the student showed the vice principal a pill that he said was from Redding's friend. The pill turned out to be prescription-strength Ibuprofen.

A recently adopted school policy prohibited all drugs on school grounds, including any "prescription or over-the-counter drug" like Ibuprofen, except when specifically permitted by the school. The vice principal asked Redding's friend about the pill, and she said Redding had given it to her.

The vice principal then hauled Redding out of class for questioning. After she denied knowing anything about the pills, he asked if she would agree to be searched, and she said she would. The vice principal looked in her backpack, found nothing and then sent her to the nurse's office.

"I was just like, did I do something wrong?" Redding recalls. "I was thinking, if I don't do this [go to the nurse's office], they're going to think that I did do something wrong, and I'll get into more trouble."

While the nurse watched, a female secretary had Redding strip to her underwear, pull her bra to the side and her panties out at the crotch and expose her breasts and pelvic area. After no pills appeared, Redding got dressed.

Redding says she didn't return to class but sat in the vice principal's office and called her mother to pick her up. She was afraid to tell her mom on the phone what had happened, she recalls, because "the secretary was listening" and "I was like really ashamed, like it was my fault." A friend later spilled the beans about the search, and Redding says her mom "was more mad than I was. I felt really stupid."

The incident was so humiliating that Redding says she couldn't return to school for months. "Everyone knew what had happened, and they were talking about me," she recalls. "I got really nervous, developed ulcers and started puking."

Eventually, Redding transferred to another school, and today, at age 17, she is still trying to make up for lost time at what she describes as an alternative high school.

"I remember how much I enjoyed school," she says. "I won all kinds of certificates, I was on the honor roll, I was doing pretty good. And I had never been in trouble before."

"I would have felt better if they had called my mom" before doing the strip search, she says.

Wright, the lawyer for the school district, says the school's strict drug policy is still in effect. He is not aware of any specific rules on strip searches but stresses the duty of schools "to closely supervise students and provide a safe environment." As for the strip search of Redding, he says it was based on "reasonable grounds."

"Remember," he says, "this was prescription strength Ibuprofen."
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Was School Strip-Search Legal?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »
Yes and she shouldn't have been bringing drugs to school.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »
homeschool

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »
well if a school can advocate abortions without parental consent I guess you should be ok with this as well  ::)

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »
well if a school can advocate abortions without parental consent I guess you should be ok with this as well  ::)

So you're OK with the kid bringing drugs to school?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
So you're OK with the kid bringing drugs to school?
nope but in regards to strip searching...if your ok with schools advocating abortions without parental consent is strip searching that big a deal?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:51:18 PM »
nope but in regards to strip searching...if your ok with schools advocating abortions without parental consent is strip searching that big a deal?
I'm not ok with either.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 06:57:55 PM »

A. It was 2003, she should probably STFU and get over it.

B. She denied having drugs. Most of us wouldn't want our kids getting drugs in schools.

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
if a teen girl can go get an abortion without parental consent much less even being told about it,  she can dam sure be strip searched.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:01:46 PM »
A. It was 2003, she should probably STFU and get over it.

B. She denied having drugs. Most of us wouldn't want our kids getting drugs in schools.
most of us wouldnt want our kids having abortions without our consent never the less without our knowledge  ;)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »
WTF?

This isn't OK
S

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:49:49 PM »
if a teen girl can go get an abortion without parental consent much less even being told about it,  she can dam sure be strip searched.
The girl in question got an abortion without her parent's consent?  Or are you holding her accountable for others?  Maybe she's even against abortions for all we know.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
The girl in question got an abortion without her parent's consent?  Or are you holding her accountable for others?  Maybe she's even against abortions for all we know.
its in reference to another thread in which ppl defended the right of schoools to assist in abortions without parental consent or even informing the parent...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 08:00:57 PM »
its in reference to another thread in which ppl defended the right of schoools to assist in abortions without parental consent or even informing the parent...
I can understand that and it's a topic to itself.  I would also agree, parents should be fully informed.  I just don't know what this girl has to do with that?  Like I said, for all we know, she's against abortion and maybe thinks a child should have their parent's consent too.  I don't know what this has to do with her strip search.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »
I can understand that and it's a topic to itself.  I would also agree, parents should be fully informed.  I just don't know what this girl has to do with that?  Like I said, for all we know, she's against abortion and maybe thinks a child should have their parent's consent too.  I don't know what this has to do with her strip search.
just see the inconsistancy in some that feel its ok for the school to assist with abortions as well as the concealment of abortions and then get upset when the school strip searches a student...I agree with you the school is wrong on both accounts...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »
just see the inconsistancy in some that feel its ok for the school to assist with abortions as well as the concealment of abortions and then get upset when the school strip searches a student...I agree with you the school is wrong on both accounts...
I missed this thread you're talking about?  Do you remember who advocated for the parent's not being informed of their child's abortion?  Or link to the thread?  I just curious to see who here feels that way.  It sounds crazy to me.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
I missed this thread you're talking about?  Do you remember who advocated for the parent's not being informed of their child's abortion?  Or link to the thread?  I just curious to see who here feels that way.  It sounds crazy to me.
Ill see if i can find it...I wouldnt say that doc advocated it simply defended it b/c he said "it didnt break any laws"...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »
Ill see if i can find it...I wouldnt say that doc advocated it simply defended it b/c he said "it didnt break any laws"...

do you remember who advocated it here off hand?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
do you remember who advocated it here off hand?
Actually Dr. kaje did advocate for it...I dont think he was for it but more so in defense of his stance...heres the link

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=325342.25

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »
Another student admitted this girl was giving out pills at school.  

Hey, if a kid eats 10 ibuprofin, the kid dies, right?  It's serious, even if it is OTC medicine.  We don't konw if some other idiot kid is gonna put them in someone's food or just eat them because kids do stupid shit.

If your kid needs medicine, keep him/her home.  Don't be an idiot and send her to school and end up with a shitstorm like this.  Plus, WTF is an 8th grader doing passing out pills at school?  Kick that kid's ass.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »
Actually Dr. kaje did advocate for it...I dont think he was for it but more so in defense of his stance...heres the link

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=325342.25
After reading the thread, wow, it appears DrKaje argued that the parents are to stupid to make the right choice with their children.  Can't say I can follow with that.  I'm also pretty sure conservatives would not agree.

Thanks for looking up the thread tony.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
After reading the thread, wow, it appears DrKaje argued that the parents are to stupid to make the right choice with their children.  Can't say I can follow with that.  I'm also pretty sure conservatives would not agree.
well Ive seen doc post enough to think he was just trying to make a point...and I cant see that in certain instances how the parents wouldnt necissarily make a great decision but i still dont understand how ppl feel its ok for them to decide to have an elective procedure like abortion withoout parental consent but not any other surgery...or why they think it should be against the law for them to date men older than 18.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
it's a tough argument.   I was in cuffs this year "for the safety and good of all" so this weak looking rookie cop could get my gun from my pocket without being in danger.

It sucked for me, violated me for sure.  But it is what it is.

If someone told the principal this girl had a handgun, would it be cool to search her?  You bet your ass it would be cool to search her.  Cause if she denies it, walks into the hallway and shoots 5 kids...

I wouldn't want my kid getting searched by some d-bag perv office staff because of a tip.  But I wouldn't want my kids' classmates being able to smuggle drugs, guns, whatever because kids know nobody can search them.

I used to teach at a rough middle school, and the Student resource officer (a real cop) would search certain kids from time to time, it was just how things were.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »
Another student
  yea, important.  It came from another student.  You're sure she wasn't lying to cover her ass?  If my kid can be strip searched on the word of another student, I'm not enrolling my kid in that school.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »
it's a tough argument.   I was in cuffs this year "for the safety and good of all" so this weak looking rookie cop could get my gun from my pocket without being in danger.

It sucked for me, violated me for sure.  But it is what it is.

If someone told the principal this girl had a handgun, would it be cool to search her?  You bet your ass it would be cool to search her.  Cause if she denies it, walks into the hallway and shoots 5 kids...

I wouldn't want my kid getting searched by some d-bag perv office staff because of a tip.  But I wouldn't want my kids' classmates being able to smuggle drugs, guns, whatever because kids know nobody can search them.

I used to teach at a rough middle school, and the Student resource officer (a real cop) would search certain kids from time to time, it was just how things were.
good points