Author Topic: An In-Depth Physiological Examination Regarding the Kinesiology of the "Squat"  (Read 6393 times)

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
Flexibility specific to the posterior chain and entire lower body combined with a synergy between proper ergonomics and individual physiology.

Obviously, it would be detrimental to reach proper depth in a squat if one has ongoing pain issues in their erector spinae or thoracolumbar fascia. Assuming all muscles related to obtaining proper depth in the squatting movement are intact then the next factor would be individual body type. Individual skeletal structure comes in varying sizes and thus bodily positioning for squat depth needs to be varied dependant on height and limb length. Generally speaking, those with longer legs and torsoes will want to obtain a wider squatting stance to avoid posterior chain stress caused by the plane of the back shifting during squats, which is common amongst taller weightlifters who squat with a stance that is too narrow.

Flexibility and Femur length YES!

APPROVED!

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
HR,

What is "sport specific training"?

HugeRipped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
HR,

What is "sport specific training"?

Sport specific training is a type of exercise regimen in which the individual performs specific movements that lend themselves toward enhanced performance in a given sport. An example of this would be a basketball player performing back squats with resistance bands in addition to normal weight plates as part of a resistance training training program since back squats have been conclusively proven in peer reviewed studies to increase one's vertical jump and resistance bands are a valuable tool in developing explosive power, a vital tool for any basketball player.

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
I've squatted for over a decade on and off. And when I'm not squatting, my legs lose some thickness indefinitely. If you can squat properly, ass to grass, always keep it as a staple in your routine. giving it a rest sometimes and alternating with a hack or power squat.

Most of what Hugeripped says it true except looking at his avatar would make you wonder  :D

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
I've squatted for over a decade on and off. And when I'm not squatting, my legs lose some thickness indefinitely. If you can squat properly, ass to grass, always keep it as a staple in your routine. giving it a rest sometimes and alternating with a hack or power squat.

Most of what Hugeripped says it true except looking at his avatar would make you wonder  :D
X2

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
The squat is one of the "bread and butter" movements of all times of weight training from powerlifters to bodybuilders and from NFL linemen to mixed martial artists. The massive full-body overload that the squat provides develops explosive power and strength, as well as great leg development. For the sake of high level intermediate and advanced bodybuilders whose goal is to develop each muscle to their genetic hypertrophic potential, one must understand the pros and cons to squatting.

Squats are a great exercise for a beginner and most intermediate bodybuilders since they are a great tool with which to cause progressive maximum overload to the quadriceps. As the weight gets heavier and the body starts to resist the easy and almost immediate hypertrophy that came as a beginner, the back squat begins to fade as a mass building tool. As the weight becomes increasingly heavier from years of training, the body naturally uses physiological points of leverage to get the load from point A to point B the simplest and easiest way possible. This means that back squats after some time, tend use the quadriceps as less and less and become glute, hamstring and hip flexor dominant. Furthermore, a more experienced bodybuilder requires direct and intense neuromuscular stimulation in addition to progressive maximum overload for optimal hypertrophy since the body has begun to adapt to resistance training. This means that for bigger quadriceps after a few years of bodybuilding, the glute, hamstring and hip flexor dominant back squat is no longer your best bet.

Enter the front squat. By simply stabilizing the bar over one's shoulders, inching the load forward over the body, the quadriceps get exponentially more stimulated than the back squat. Greater percentages of muscle fibers from the quadriceps are activated performing a front squat and thus the pivotal neuromuscular connection that is required in the training of a high intermediate to advanced bodybuilder is developed. Add these two factors to a once per 7 day progressive maximum overload training cycle and prepare for your quadriceps to grow!

- HR

I thought this was supposed to be an in depth examination? That was neither in dept, insightful or novel in the least.

Besides the only depth anyone should care about when talking about squats is ass to grass!