Author Topic: Supreme Court rules government must pay for welfare recipient's marijuana  (Read 655 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
N.S. must pay for woman's medical marijuana
By CBC News, cbc.ca,
Updated: March 31, 2010 10:46 PM

The provincial Department of Community Services has been ordered to pay for the medical marijuana used by a woman on income assistance.

The Supreme Court of Nova Scotia ruling was released Wednesday.

Sally Campbell of Halifax has Health Canada's blessing to smoke pot to deal with the symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic Hepatitis C.

She receives income assistance from the Department of Community Services and asked for an increase in her allowance to cover the cost of medicinal marijuana as a special need.

The department declined.

"We follow the Department of Health list of allowed drugs," said community services spokesperson Linda Laffin. "To the best of my knowledge, medical marijuana is not covered."

Campbell's doctor told the department's assistance appeal board it was essential for her health and was refused again.

The board said it didn't believe the benefits of medical marijuana have been scientifically proven.

A justice of the Nova Scotia Supreme Court ruled that whether the benefits have been proven is not for the Department of Community Services to decide and ordered it to start paying for Campbell's marijuana.

Legal aid lawyer Donna Franey said it's an important victory. "[It's] recognition that this is a legitimate medication that actually does improve the quality of life for some people," she said. "It's essential and it should be covered by community services."

Minister of Community Services Denise Peterson-Rafuse said the department's lawyers are still reviewing the decision and have not decided whether to appeal.
w

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
"essential for her health...." hahaha  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
"essential for her health...." hahaha  ;D

Why do people find that so humourous?

Would you feel the same way about dispensing morphine to someone undergoing surgery?
Just because some people get high off it, doesn't mean there aren't true medicinal benefits to be derived.

I've seen some people testify about the effects of certain prescription drugs and the toxity levels and side effects they endure... not to mention the cost, ...and all that toxity and those side effects are mitigated when medicinal marijuana is used. For some, the prescription pharmaceutical meds knocks them on their tush, and have such unpleaant side effects they can't hold down a job and have to go on disability. for many of these same people who ditch the prescription meds and instead opt for medical marijuana, it's the first time they're able to even hold down a job & function normally, ...and are able to come off disability.

What they need to do is to get the marijuana into pharmacies or other dispensaries rather than forcing people to get it from the neighbourhood drug dealer. there was a huge class action lawsuit over that very thing. medical marijuana patients claimed the government was forcing them to put their lives at risk by having to buy their marijuana from street drug dealers; marijuana that could be laced with PCP or god knows what. i'm not sure how it turned out tho
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
We pay for methadone so pot really shouldn't be a big deal. I'm pro medical weed prescribing and would do it if legal.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Nothing against medical marijuana, but to say its "essential" for her health is pure hyperbole. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
Another welfare ripping off the taxpayers.   >:(

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Welfare funds have been used to pay for many recipients' marijuana long before this bill was passed.

24KT

• Getbig V
Nothing against medical marijuana, but to say its "essential" for her health is pure hyperbole. 

You wouldn't say that if you saw the difference it made in some users lives. the problem is marijuana and it's users have been so stimatized for years that people have a hard time accepting it does have very real  medicinal value in the lives of many.

The side effects from the meds are horrific in some cases, resulting in severe liver toxicity and in some cases tremors, without any meaningful impact on the underlying illness or symptoms. Then to see the difference after they've smoked a few joints... it would be impossible to not conclude medical marijuana is "essential" to someone's health.  mind you, I'm not refering to the con artists who have somehow managed to get themselves approval for a medical marijuana card or a prescription, ...I'm refering to the legitimate users for whom medical marijuana laws have been passed. What's so sad is that for so many years people have had to risk jail & arrest for nothing more than trying to maintain their health. Think about it for a moment... it's like having having diabetes, and having to endure arrest & incarceration for buying or using insulin.

Just because it's not 'essential' in your life, and for you would be nothing more than a tool for getting high, doesn't mean it's not 'essential' for someone else. I have no need for morphine at present. If i were to take it, it would be nothing more than a high and certainly not essential. However, ...for the cancer patient undergoing surgery, ...it's essential!.
w

Hereford

• Getbig V
Welfare funds have been used to pay for many recipients' marijuana long before this bill was passed.

An excellent point.