Author Topic: Bethlehem hospital to stop hiring smokers  (Read 1484 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bethlehem hospital to stop hiring smokers
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
I'm o.k. with this.   

Bethlehem hospital to stop hiring smokers

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - St. Luke's Hospital and Health Network plans to stop hiring people who are smokers, saying it hopes to improve the health of its 7,000 employees and reduce health costs.

Beginning May 1, all prospective employees will be screened for nicotine and will be ineligible for a job if they test positive. Anyone rejected may take the test again in six months. Current employees will not be affected.

Bob Zimmel, senior vice president of human resources, said the policy will be good for business as well as health, since it will reduce health insurance claims. - AP

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100331_Bethlehem_hospital_to_stop_hiring_smokers.html

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: Bethlehem hospital to stop hiring smokers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »
I can't wait until the ACLU moves to make smokers a protected class.

If gays and other behaviors can be considered special, why not smokers? I ike beer, so what the hell, I should be able to drink on the job. ACLU protect me! It's my right to get drunk at work!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »
The ACLU might be tied up with NAMBLA, Planned Parenthood, and paranoid anti-religious extremists.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »
It should be easy for people to beat these drug tests..the elimination half-life of nicotine averages 2 hours...

No one that smokes should have an excuse for failing this test

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
It should be easy for people to beat these drug tests..the elimination half-life of nicotine averages 2 hours...

No one that smokes should have an excuse for failing this test

I'm sure you have great experience beating drug tests with your record. 

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
smokers stink to high hell !!!!

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
i hate when i go to a decent place to eat and the waiter stinks of smoke , and you can smell it as they walk by.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »
smokers stink to high hell !!!!
agreed I used to have a cigarette or two every now and again generally when blitzed and this is one of the reasons I stopped I hated the way it smelled.

While I applaud them for making an effort to make their staff healthier and lower costs I have never thought that what an employee did outside of work as long as it was legal was any of the employers business.

I think this is crap, how long before they start limiting the amount of drinks you can have or what kind of foods you can eat?

what about how much sun exposure your skin gets?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:42 PM »
agreed I used to have a cigarette or two every now and again generally when blitzed and this is one of the reasons I stopped I hated the way it smelled.

While I applaud them for making an effort to make their staff healthier and lower costs I have never thought that what an employee did outside of work as long as it was legal was any of the employers business.

I think this is crap, how long before they start limiting the amount of drinks you can have or what kind of foods you can eat?

It should be an incentive like you get a small bonus or something...they shouldnt bar somebody from work simply b/c they smoke especially if its outside of work.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
I can't wait until the ACLU moves to make smokers a protected class.

If gays and other behaviors can be considered special, why not smokers? I ike beer, so what the hell, I should be able to drink on the job. ACLU protect me! It's my right to get drunk at work!!
Don't be shocked if they do.  I've watched them over the years and they do indeed take up causes like this.  The drinking thing you mentioned, it's always been ok to drink at work, as long as you're an executive/ceo.  Just not so cool for the slave class working for them.  ironic huh...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »

Why shouldn't employers, especially hospitals, be concerned about the health of their employees? 

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
I'm sure you have great experience beating drug tests with your record. 

I actually beat a 10 panel drug test..While i was under the influence of narcotics...You just need creatine, a Multi vitamin,lot's of water and your all set..

If you ever need to pass a drug test give me buzz...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 02:15:21 PM »
I was in the hospital in February and very very sick.  A visitor came in and reeked of smoke.  I was nauseous anyway and it became much worse for a few moments.  I'm grateful none of my nurses or techs or docs smelled like smoke but even so, smoking is legal and it seems like the workers should be able to smoke if they want on their own time.

Maybe they could wave a Stinkometer over the smoker and if they are at an acceptable level of stink they can finish their shift.

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
Navy nixes smoking on submarines

Smoking and submarines don't mix. That's the message the U.S. Navy is sending after announcing that smoking will no longer be permitted below decks on its submarines effective December 31.

"This policy was initiated for the health of the sailors who choose not to smoke," said Lt. Commander Mark Jones, spokesman for the Commander Naval Submarine Forces in Norfolk, Virginia.

"It is unfair for them to be exposed to the unhealthy side effects of secondhand smoke."

Jones said the submarine force conducted a study in 2009 on nine
different submarines covering the four different classes of subs. In that testing, it found nonsmokers were being exposed to the effects of secondhand smoke.

There are currently 57 submarines serving in the U.S. Navy, and about 13,000 sailors on submarine active duty, according to Jones. Of those sailors, recent polling indicates 35 to 40 percent are smokers, he said.

Jones conceded there will likely be complaints. However, he said the Navy has very aggressive smoking cessation programs. There will also be nicotine replacement therapy widely available on the submarines, such as Nicorette gum and nicotine patches.

"We're going to work as hard as we can to make this an easy transition," said Jones.

In the past, smoking had been confined to certain areas on the submarine. Individual submarine commanders will still be allowed to decide if crew members are permitted to smoke on deck.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/08/navy-nixes-smoking-on-submarines/?hpt=T2

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »
I'm fine with this as long as they eliminate fat people, test cholesterol, screen for recreational drugs, do a family history and test anything else  employees might keel over from.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
Why shouldn't employers, especially hospitals, be concerned about the health of their employees? 
They should be concerned and I applaud them for that but its none of their business what employees do outside of work so long as its legal...This is in effect barring you from a legal action...what if they said you cant eat mexican food anymore b/c of its high fat content? you cant have more than 2 drinks at any given time?

whats the difference beach?

I agree they should be concerned but there should be incentives to not smoke, I believe they should be able to say there is no smoking while on duty but not when their off duty...way to far reaching if you ask me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
They should be concerned and I applaud them for that but its none of their business what employees do outside of work so long as its legal...This is in effect barring you from a legal action...what if they said you cant eat mexican food anymore b/c of its high fat content? you cant have more than 2 drinks at any given time?

whats the difference beach?

I agree they should be concerned but there should be incentives to not smoke, I believe they should be able to say there is no smoking while on duty but not when their off duty...way to far reaching if you ask me.

No difference.  It's very intrusive.  But what kind of protection does a smoker, drinker, or Mexican food eater have?  Sure you can do those things because they are legal, but the issue is does a private employer have to hire someone who does those things?  Personally, I think an employer should be given pretty wide latitude to hire the kinds of employees who live a certain lifestyle.  If the employee has a problem with that, they should go work someplace else.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »
the issue is does a private employer have to hire someone who does those things?  Personally, I think an employer should be given pretty wide latitude to hire the kinds of employees who live a certain lifestyle.  If the employee has a problem with that, they should go work someplace else.
of course they dont have to hire them but this isnt saying they will get less considereation this is saying they will absolutely not hire ppl who do not smoke.

employers private or otherwise should not have the right to regulate what a person does outside of work as long as its legal. If you start allowing this where does it end? you cant have sex b/c ppl who abstain from sex make better workers? you cant drive a truck b/c its not eco friendly? you cant own animals b/c they cause alergies and increase doctor visits and hikeup insurance?

I feel they have the right to regulate actions at work, not outside of work that is private life and should remain so.

what of the workers who already work there but are smokers? can you make them stop?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
of course they dont have to hire them but this isnt saying they will get less considereation this is saying they will absolutely not hire ppl who do not smoke.

employers private or otherwise should not have the right to regulate what a person does outside of work as long as its legal. If you start allowing this where does it end? you cant have sex b/c ppl who abstain from sex make better workers? you cant drive a truck b/c its not eco friendly? you cant own animals b/c they cause alergies and increase doctor visits and hikeup insurance?

I feel they have the right to regulate actions at work, not outside of work that is private life and should remain so.

what of the workers who already work there but are smokers? can you make them stop?

It ends wherever the law says it ends, which is currently race, gender, religion, national origin, etc.  There are employers who already (at least on paper) regulate things like sex.  For example, a church doesn't have to hire a pastor who lives with his girlfriend.  A Christian school doesn't have to hire a woman who lives with her boyfriend. 

I know it is pretty invasive, but it's a free country and that applies to both the boss and the worker.  If the company has a policy the employee believes invades his or her privacy, then quit.  Nobody is a slave.  That's pretty much my viewpoint. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:53:20 PM »
It ends wherever the law says it ends, which is currently race, gender, religion, national origin, etc.  There are employers who already (at least on paper) regulate things like sex.  For example, a church doesn't have to hire a pastor who lives with his girlfriend.  A Christian school doesn't have to hire a woman who lives with her boyfriend. 

I know it is pretty invasive, but it's a free country and that applies to both the boss and the worker.  If the company has a policy the employee believes invades his or her privacy, then quit.  Nobody is a slave.  That's pretty much my viewpoint. 
I pretty much agree but would you be ok with a employer lets say mandating that employees must smoke 2 packs a day? and one must be outside of work?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
I pretty much agree but would you be ok with a employer lets say mandating that employees must smoke 2 packs a day? and one must be outside of work?

I guess so.  I doubt they would have many employees.  At least not healthy ones.   :)  The marketplace often takes care of itself.  For the most part, you can't have stupid policies and bad management and stay competitive.   

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
The slippery slope.

I hate the way smokers smell...clothes, hair breathe.

On the other hand, I am sure there are smokers who dislike me for my personal choices.

Private industry can hire or not hire anyone they choose withing the realms of Equal opportunity and company rules.
Sandra

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »
I guess so.  I doubt they would have many employees.  At least not healthy ones.   :)  The marketplace often takes care of itself.  For the most part, you can't have stupid policies and bad management and stay competitive.   
LOL I agree just a hypothetical, I mean if they can regulate what you cant do then they can regulate what you must do outside of work as well...not right if you ask me

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »
The slippery slope.

I hate the way smokers smell...clothes, hair breathe.

On the other hand, I am sure there are smokers who dislike me for my personal choices.

Private industry can hire or not hire anyone they choose withing the realms of Equal opportunity and company rules.
Sandra
agreed but all this is going to do is produce a push for smokers to be a protected class...sooner or later we all will be protected classes and nobody will be able to fire anybody  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »
agreed but all this is going to do is produce a push for smokers to be a protected class...sooner or later we all will be protected classes and nobody will be able to fire anybody  ;D

Dude.  You have no idea how true that is.  They tried to make pet ownership a protected class here recently.  Not people with service animals who are already protected, but anyone who owns a pet.  We recently added credit history.  They're about to add domestic violence victims.  We already include "arrest and court record" here.