Author Topic: Black People Films-WHY do they ALWAYS Involve a Man Dressing up as a woman?  (Read 9705 times)

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
thats just silly
Don`t believe it?

Check out these Comments from this site: http://www.whataboutourdaughters.com/2008/11/black-male-comedians-obsessed-with-cross-dressing-david-allen-grier-as-maya-angelou-hosanna-obama/

#1 lovebabz on 11.07.08 at 7:52 am
Hey Sister,
Trying to catch up with you. YOu ar enot following me on Twitter so I couldn’t DM. Email me lovebabz(at)gmail(dot)com

Also, have been feeling like Black women have been ridiculed way too much by Black men comedians. I like Tyler Perry and I do not find his portrayal of Madeia terribly offensive…however I do think you are onto something with noticing this trend….hhhmmm.

La Belle Femme on 11.07.08 at 8:06 am
I have noticed this phenomenon. How strange! Maybe these comedians are secretly cross-dressers and are using their so-called comedy to display their true lifestyle. Hmmm….

The actress is very pretty and I’m slightly saddened she chose to participate in this skit. I really don’t think we should be enabling black males denigrate fellow black females even if it’s in the name of so-called comedy. It’s makes us, the black race look bad.

Pamela on 11.07.08 at 8:19 am
I did not watch this video clip. I knew I would get really angry.

I noticed this trend long ago. The Madeia character is the main reason I have not watched any movies of his. I saw one commercial for a movie with the Madeia character and vowed to never spend a penny seeing his stuff. I was judged as narrow-minded by a good friend that did not understand my problem with this. She feels I should support blacks that have ‘uplifting’ messages. Any portrayal of bm posing as bw is not uplifting when there are plenty of bw that can fit the bill.

In principle I find this trend deplorable. The minute I see this type of portrayal I absolutely refuse to partake of their entertainment ever again unless they stop the practice and renounce their previous work. All the mentioned comics have been on my boycott list for this reason alone (except for Eddie Murphy). I absolutely find these depictions disgusting.

Sidebar: I boycotted Eddie Murphy five minutes into Eddie Murphy Raw (I think that was the name of the HBO special–25 years ago or so). He grabbed his crotch and I was done with him. If Bill Cosby Himself could be absolutely hilarious with only one curse word (that fit the story BTW) within two hours, why do comics have to grab body parts, curse like sailors, insult and denigrate bw in order to be funny? There is more to this.
I Love The True Adon

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Why Did  I Get Married 2 just came out, there were no black men dressed as women, and Janet Jackson looks fine as hell.

Besides, Robin Williams did Mrs. Doubtfire...

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
#9 Womenfolktalk on 11.07.08 at 3:44 pm
Many years ago the actor Isaiah Washington wrote an article in Essence Magazine on this very issue. He said that when he first got started in Hollywood, he was always offered roles to dress up as a Black women or the “flaming” gay guy. He felt that this was due to whites feeling more comfortable with Black men in that capacity versus seeing their full humanity. It was the three-fourths human mentality that is somewhat plaguing Hollywood. He made sacrifices in his career at that time because he always turned down these types of roles. Also, Dave Chapelle mentioned this issue. This may have been one of the reasons why he left his show on the Comedy Channel. He felt that they wanted to “dumb” him down.

Last year or earlier this year another article was published in either Essence or Ebony on the same subject, especially the whole “Madea” factor. I believe it was written by Jill Nelson. She felt that it disrespected and stereotyped the image of Black women and emasculated Black men.

This is a good dialogue that needs to be continued and discussed openly in our community.
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
#11 JaliliMaster on 11.07.08 at 11:19 pm
If black men dressing up as women is ‘emasculating’ to black men, why should that be of any concern to black women? The fact that few if any black men complain about it should tell you that they don’t see it as an insult to themselves.

What black women should pay attention to is the way it denigrates black women. Why get a black woman when you can get a black guy to dress up. It is also to diminish our femininity.
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
#13 focusedpurpose on 11.08.08 at 12:04 pm
hi there-

someone said it here already. the trend is indeed a two-fer. it is insulting to both black women and men. i tend to agree with Jallimaster, we should focus on our interests as the reasons for wanting it to stop.

another observation. with the exception of the snl cross-dresser, i can say from personal experience that the other males seem to very much be at odds with their sexuality. there appears to be a conflict with image and reality. i for one am not interested in trying to sort it out. i just want the cross-dressing to cease because of the damage it does to black women. simple.

blessings all,
focusedpurpose
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
#15 focusedpurpose on 11.09.08 at 3:20 pm
Alienation-

i agree, there is no difference between black men cross dressing to ridicule black women for a laugh and blackface. no difference whatsoever. this is all the more reason black women must stand up, speak out, and work together diligently to shut down the (mis) behavior. accusations of hyper-sensitivity, being overly emotional, delusional, or any of the other darts offenders and their supporters will throw in an effort to silence us must be ignored. well behaved women do not make history.

if more black women would wake up and embrace the notion of reciprocity, we could save ourselves and daughters a lot of time and money to build our interests.

i, too, have noticed that most black men have no problem being depicted as over-sexed beasts. they will stand in silence knowing full well that over sized genitalia and great masculinity in all black men is a lie. it isn’t a myth, it is a bold lie. in fact, rather than just be truthful, large numbers of black homosexuals will remain closeted all of their lives (while cross dressing and ridiculing black women if an entertainer) just so they can maintain the lie(s) about black manhood.

i for one won’t play along. i am inspired and my resolve is strengthened by Gina and a few other bloggers that refuse to tow the line. i am eternally grateful.

blessings all,
focusedpurpose
I Love The True Adon

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
*jez*, are you open to an informational committee in your home?

please give us your address.   :)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Seperating your race from everyone else's is, initself, damaging to your race.

Thinking that Black men dressed up as women in movies is somehow going to negatively affect the black community or any black individual is malarkey.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
I actually liked Nutty professor..
O

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Seperating your race from everyone else's is, initself, damaging to your race.

Thinking that Black men dressed up as women in movies is somehow going to negatively affect the black community or any black individual is malarkey.
These are Black Women posting.  They are sick and tired of it.  They see it as a detriment so there definitely is something to this because they clearly feel this way.  Many Actors, Isiah Washington, Morgan Freeman, Bill Cosby, Dave Chapelle, Sidney Poitier have commented on it as well as it being Negative not only to Black Women and Men but to African Americans in general.

You can`t just make a blanket statement and say this does not affect Black Culture and the portrayal of African American men and women.

Afterall, this type of gimmick is clearly playing on Black Myths and Black Stereotypes and the recipients do have a right to be angry at such portrayals.
I Love The True Adon

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
These are Black Women posting.  They are sick and tired of it.  They see it as a detriment so there definitely is something to this because they clearly feel this way.  Many Actors, Isiah Washington, Morgan Freeman, Bill Cosby, Dave Chapelle, Sidney Poitier have commented on it as well as it being Negative not only to Black Women and Men but to African Americans in general.

You can`t just make a blanket statement and say this does not affect Black Culture and the portrayal of African American men and women.

Afterall, this type of gimmick is clearly playing on Black Myths and Black Stereotypes and the recipients do have a right to be angry at such portrayals.

lmao! these black women are taking themselves entirely too seriously, and drastically overestimating the power of a sketch in a comedy movie; especially one as innocent as a woman who is secretly a man in dressed in drab.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
lmao! these black women are taking themselves entirely too seriously, and drastically overestimating the power of a sketch in a comedy movie; especially one as innocent as a woman who is secretly a man in dressed in drab.

Welcome to the USA, where everyone takes race way too seriously.

Parker

• Getbig V

How much you wanna bet that they are "big girls" with no man? They always take things too seriously...although Tyler Perry did reveal that he had been molested as a child, so did that have any affect in him coming up with and portraying the Medea character

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
???
Big Momma`s House

Big Momma`s House 2

Juwanna Mann

Madea goes to Jail

Racist post reported.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
I was watching a show on TV and the guy say that the "white man" wants to see every manly black actor in drag as a way to emasculate the black man. They do this becuase the white man is jealous of the black man's dick. :-\ ???
I think is just the money tho. ;D
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
A

Parker

• Getbig V
Also black peoples films don't ALWAYS involve a man dress in like a woman. I named one, then there is The Best Man, The Color Purple, Waiting to exhale, etc.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Also black peoples films don't ALWAYS involve a man dress in like a woman. I named one, then there is The Best Man, The Color Purple, Waiting to exhale, etc.
true. But there are way more famous black actors cross dressing, on film ;D, then white actors. Why is this?
A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LOL I think they black community the black female community has many more problems that contribute to disrespecting women and painting women in a bad light...

you ever see a rap video? LOL

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
TA reading too much into something again trying to make himself seem more intelligent on this universe know as the internet.

I enjoy Tyler Perry's plays way more than the movies.  "Diary of a Mad Black Woman", was a mash up of several plays.  Anybody here also a fan of the plays?  They are funnier than any movie I have ever seen, especially when they play it up with the audience. 

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
Almost always, yes.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
That's funny!! Nobody seemed to have a problem with Dustin Hoffman's "Tootsie" or Robin Williams' "Mrs. Doubtfire".

We've seen white actors do that for decades in sitcom, as well. The bottom line is simple: It's a gag, nothing more or less. It's not about emasculating anyone.

As for Perry, he's stated that the Madea character is a hyper-hybrid of his mother and his aunt. It was supposed to be a one-time deal, in one of his plays, "I Can Do Bad All By My Self", released in 2000 (I think).

But, the character was a hit and the fans LOVED it. So, Perry kept it up. Considering that he went from living in his car to being a multi-millionaire, I'd say it was a good call (financially, at least).

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
That's funny!! Nobody seemed to have a problem with Dustin Hoffman's "Tootsie" or Robin Williams' "Mrs. Doubtfire".

We've seen white actors do that for decades in sitcom, as well. The bottom line is simple: It's a gag, nothing more or less. It's not about emasculating anyone.

As for Perry, he's stated that the Madea character is a hyper-hybrid of his mother and his aunt. It was supposed to be a one-time deal, in one of his plays, "I Can Do Bad All By My Self", released in 2000 (I think).

But, the character was a hit and the fans LOVED it. So, Perry kept it up. Considering that he went from living in his car to being a multi-millionaire, I'd say it was a good call (financially, at least).
CD black famous actors > CD famous white actors; by a landslide
explain.
A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
CD black famous actors > CD famous white actors; by a landslide
explain.

Who says it's by a landslide? In fact, there was a sitcom, starring Tom Hanks, in which he and his buddy (Bosom Buddies, I think was the title), get kicked out of their apartment and the only play they can afford to live is an apartment complex EXCLUSIVELY for women.

Rick Moranis may have been the other guy. Anyway, they dress AS WOMEN, in order to stay at that particular apartment.

It seems to me that white men do the cross-dressing thing more in sitcom and black men do it more in movies.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Who says it's by a landslide? In fact, there was a sitcom, starring Tom Hanks, in which he and his buddy (Bosom Buddies, I think was the title), get kicked out of their apartment and the only play they can afford to live is an apartment complex EXCLUSIVELY for women.

Rick Moranis may have been the other guy. Anyway, they dress AS WOMEN, in order to stay at that particular apartment.

It seems to me that white men do the cross-dressing thing more in sitcom and black men do it more in movies.
it is a landslide, those or the facts.
A