Author Topic: Petraeus Touted for President  (Read 4412 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Petraeus Touted for President
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
Interesting.  He has repeatedly said he's not interested, but he's an outside the box potential candidate. 

Sunday, 04 Apr 2010   
A newspaper columnist who says "Americans have never been so disgusted with their politicians" is offering up an alternative candidate for the 2012 presidental race: Gen. David Petraeus.

Toby Harnden, writing in his "American Way" column for the London Telegraph, says "Many voters yearn for an outsider, someone with authenticity, integrity and proven accomplishment. Someone who has not spent their life plotting how to ascend the greasy pole, adjusting every utterance for maximum political advantage."

Hardnen says the place to find such a candidate is in the military, and pinpoints Petraeus specifically.

"No one stands out like General David Petraeus, head of United States Central Command, leader of 230,000 troops and commander of United States forces in two wars. Having masterminded the Iraq surge, the stunning military gambit that seized victory from the jaws of defeat, he is now directing an equally daunting undertaking in Afghanistan."

To read the full Telegraph story -- Go Here Now.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/david-petraeus-president-2012/2010/04/04/id/354692

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Petraeus Touted for President
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
he'd need a VP like Romney with some serious math/economic skills.

Methinks its more likely he's an AWESOME VP pick for a Romney or Pawlenty or even a thune.  I don't know if he has the TV ability that a president needs.  He's very solid, but not star quality.  Same way Newt could be a solid VP but not president.

He brings military experience to a ticket that will need it.  Obama can claim experience advantage over every current GOP frontrunner - none of them have military or foreign crediential... I mean, what can Palin or Romney or pawlenty gloat about to obama over their abilty to deal with other nations? 

Patraeus = safe VP pick.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:56:37 PM »
The Repubs won`t like his Pro-Gay stance in the military and on other issues regarding gays,
I Love The True Adon

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
Interesting.  He has repeatedly said he's not interested, but he's an outside the box potential candidate. 

Sunday, 04 Apr 2010   
A newspaper columnist who says "Americans have never been so disgusted with their politicians" is offering up an alternative candidate for the 2012 presidental race: Gen. David Petraeus.

Toby Harnden, writing in his "American Way" column for the London Telegraph, says "Many voters yearn for an outsider, someone with authenticity, integrity and proven accomplishment. Someone who has not spent their life plotting how to ascend the greasy pole, adjusting every utterance for maximum political advantage."

Hardnen says the place to find such a candidate is in the military, and pinpoints Petraeus specifically.

"No one stands out like General David Petraeus, head of United States Central Command, leader of 230,000 troops and commander of United States forces in two wars. Having masterminded the Iraq surge, the stunning military gambit that seized victory from the jaws of defeat, he is now directing an equally daunting undertaking in Afghanistan."

To read the full Telegraph story -- Go Here Now.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/david-petraeus-president-2012/2010/04/04/id/354692

Newsmax actually provided a link in a story?

that's weird

I guess this one is a safe link so there's no danger that one of their uniformed readers will find out the source material directly contradicts the "story' weaved together by the un-named Newsmax author

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »
The Repubs won`t like his Pro-Gay stance in the military and on other issues regarding gays,

Yeah-- but on the bright side, if he's elected maybe you and jizzball will be able to get your civil union legally recognized as a marriage.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:10 PM »
Is he a Republican?

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »

The don't ask don't tell policy is out the window. Tune into Olbermann/Maddow tomorrow night for another talking point.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »
he'd need a VP like Romney with some serious math/economic skills.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Very impressive educational background:

Petraeus graduated from West Point in 1974. He earned the General George C. Marshall Award as the top graduate of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College Class of 1983 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. He subsequently earned a M.P.A. in 1985 and a Ph.D. in international relations in 1987 from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, then served as an Assistant Professor of International Relations at the U.S. Military Academy from 1985 to 1987. His doctoral dissertation, "The American Military and the Lessons of Vietnam: A Study of Military Influence and the Use of Force in the Post-Vietnam Era," dealt with the influence of the Vietnam War on military thinking regarding the use of force.  He also completed a military fellowship at the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service in 1994–1995, although he was called away early to serve in Haiti as the Chief of Operations for the UN force there in early 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Petraeus

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »
Bindare - I meant politically.   Patraeus would be attacked in the debates for his lack of perceived economic experience/skill.  Having a Romney - viewed as having more economic credibility - would help.

Any elected candidate will just do what his bosses tell him to.  I'm not saying Romney could solve a thing.  Only that his nam eon the ticket would give patraeus some economic credibility with swing voters concerned wiht economic issues.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »
Bindare - I meant politically.   Patraeus would be attacked in the debates for his lack of perceived economic experience/skill.  Having a Romney - viewed as having more economic credibility - would help.

Any elected candidate will just do what his bosses tell him to.  I'm not saying Romney could solve a thing.  Only that his nam eon the ticket would give patraeus some economic credibility with swing voters concerned wiht economic issues.

I wasn't attacking your statement per se, I agree that most think Romney fits what you're describing and it's at that stupid fact that I'm utterly disappointed. We'll never run out of suckers that's for sure.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
I wasn't attacking your statement per se, I agree that most think Romney fits what you're describing and it's at that stupid fact that I'm utterly disappointed. We'll never run out of suckers that's for sure.
When is the last time the Republican Party ever had a politician worth a shit?  The Republican Party spoke loud and clear in the primaries with their rejection of Poop Paul.  Will they make it a two-fer if Poop tries to run again?
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »

Romeny effectively destroyed his chances winning the nod with the disaster that is RomneyCare in Mass.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
When is the last time the Republican Party ever had a politician worth a shit?  The Republican Party spoke loud and clear in the primaries with their rejection of Poop Paul.  Will they make it a two-fer if Poop tries to run again?

Right, cause Obama, Gore, Kerry, Clinton were all paragons of virture and examples of leadership.  ::)  ::)

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
Right, cause Obama, Gore, Kerry, Clinton were all paragons of virture and examples of leadership.  ::)  ::)
Hey, I voted for Mike Gravel in the Democratic primaries and supported him when he Switched to the Libertarian Party as he was locked out of the Democratic Debates by the media (didn`t meet fundraising goals).  When he dropped out, I had to vote for Obama to at least combat the kucklegraggers of Palin and McCain.  Mike Gravel said he voted for Obama as well even though he didn`t like him during the debates.

Kucinich was also a good choice.  There are a few bright lights in the Democratic Party but relatively none in the Republican Party.

Face it, Both parties could use a cleaning of the house. 
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
Romeny effectively destroyed his chances winning the nod with the disaster that is RomneyCare in Mass.  
Same as ObamaCare which is just more Insurance Care, the same as what we have always had, the same thing you had under Bush,Clinton, Bush, Reagan and so on, but just a fraction of a fraction better.  Christopher Hitchens made the point that Healthcare will never be any better in the United States because the people are too stupid to want it to get any better.  I agree.
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Hey, I voted for Mike Gravel in the Democratic primaries and supported him when he Switched to the Libertarian Party as he was locked out of the Democratic Debates by the media (didn`t meet fundraising goals).  When he dropped out, I had to vote for Obama to at least combat the kucklegraggers of Palin and McCain.  Mike Gravel said he voted for Obama as well even though he didn`t like him during the debates.

Kucinich was also a good choice.  There are a few bright lights in the Democratic Party but relatively none in the Republican Party.

Face it, Both parties could use a cleaning of the house. 

Both parties could use a firing squad. 

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
Both parties could use a firing squad. 
Mike Gravel wanted a National Initiative which would install a fourth branch of Government, THE PEOPLE.  This means that People can make laws and Vote on the same laws as Congress or Stop Laws from passing in Congress. And the Supreme Court functions the same.   Truly a Revolutionary Idea that I would LOVE to see.  We would finally get some fairness and true representation.

Watch this video 33333666 its only 2 minutes.  Tell me what you think

I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
And one more:

I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
I like that guy, but he was drowned out as a kook by the MSM, DLC, DNC, etc.  There is simply no room in the Dem party foor someone like him. 

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 04:48:39 PM »
I like that guy, but he was drowned out as a kook by the MSM, DLC, DNC, etc.  There is simply no room in the Dem party foor someone like him. 
I`d like to see a National Initiative.  All this bickering we do on the internet could then be put to direct use and finally something would get done.  :)

Plus it would bring the citizens into government and people would actually start to care and be a little more aware about their country I think.
I Love The True Adon

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
That "People" idea is intriguing... What if the people were able to veto unpopular things?

The people probably would have vetoed the Iraq Surge, however. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
They have the initiative process in California. 

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »
In the United States the initiative is in use at the level of state government, in 24 states, and the District of Columbia, and is also in common use at the local and city government level.  I`d like to see it on a National Level, at the Federal Level.
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »
Yeep.  Thats how the Legalization of Marijuana got on there.  I REALLY hope it passes, but I fear since Marijuana is federally classified as a Scheduled substance, it may prove to be futile.

I not only hope it passes as a personal freedom issue and a logical one which is Science based (marijuana being way less harmful than alcohol and completely harmless when eaten) but as a way to test Federal Power and non sensical and unscientific drug and substance laws.

It will be interesting.
I Love The True Adon