Author Topic: Court: FCC has no power to regulate Net neutrality  (Read 3914 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Court: FCC has no power to regulate Net neutrality
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
April 6, 2010 8:15 AM PDT
Court: FCC has no power to regulate Net neutrality
by Declan McCullagh

Font sizePrintE-mailShare4 comments Yahoo! Buzz

The Federal Communications Commission does not have the legal authority to impose strict Net neutrality regulations on Internet providers, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

A three-judge panel in Washington, D.C. unanimously tossed out the FCC's August 2008 cease and desist order against Comcast, which had taken measures to slow BitTorrent transfers and had voluntarily ended them earlier in the year.

Because the FCC "has failed to tie its assertion" of regulatory authority to any actual law enacted by Congress, the agency does not have the authority to regulate an Internet provider's network management practices, wrote Judge David Tatel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

Tuesday's decision could doom one of the signature initiatives of current FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, a Democrat. Last October, Genachowski announced plans to begin drafting a formal set of Net neutrality rules -- even though Congress has not given the agency permission to begin. (Verizon Communications CEO Ivan Seidenberg, for instance, has said that new regulations would stifle innovative technologies like telemedicine.)

Even though liberal advocacy groups had urged the FCC to take action against Comcast, the agency's vote to proceed was a narrow 3-2, with the dissenting commissioners predicting at the time that it would not hold up in court. FCC Commissioner Robert McDowell, a Republican, said at the time that the FCC's ruling was unlawful and the lack of legal authority "is sure to doom this order on appeal."

The ruling also is likely to shift the debate to whether Congress will choose to explicitly grant the FCC the authority to regulate companies' network management practices, and revive lobbying coalitions that have been defunct for the last few years.

In 2006, Congress rejected five different bills, backed by groups including Google, Amazon.com, Free Press, and Public Knowledge, that would have handed the FCC the power to police Net neutrality violations. Even though the Democrats have enjoyed a majority on Capitol Hill since 2007, however, the leadership has shown little interest in resuscitating those proposals.

"We must decide whether the Federal Communications Commission has authority to regulate an Internet service provider's network management practices," Tatel wrote in his 36-page opinion. "The Commission may exercise this 'ancillary' authority only if it demonstrates that its action -- here barring Comcast from interfering with its customers' use of peer-to-peer networking applications -- is 'reasonably ancillary to the ... effective performance of its statutorily mandated responsibilities.'"

More to come...

________________________ ________________________ ____

how about we get rid of the FCC altogether? 

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: Court: FCC has no power to regulate Net neutrality
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:53 AM »
Do you really want a tiered internet service where you have to pay per website or pay for bandwidth access?

The internet needs to remain free and open.

Here is what it would look like if the Corporations had their way:

Is THAT what you want?
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »
IS THIS what you want?

I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:14 AM »
Of course, because the evil corporations are so much far worse than the govt regulating the web.   ::)  ::)

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »
Of course, because the evil corporations are so much far worse than the govt regulating the web.   ::)  ::)
The Government ensures that it is not PAY PER WEBSITE and open to all.

Tell me, what benefit is it to you to PAY MORE for your Internet by Paying first for an internet service and THEN having to PAY PER Website you can visit?

What benefit is it to you at all?

Do you just like wasting money?
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »
Right, because govt regulation always keeps proces low.    ::)  ::)

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
Right, because govt regulation always keeps proces low.    ::)  ::)
So you don`t mind paying Per Website and being RESTRICTED to ONLY websites that your Internet Service Provider allows?

Right now, the government ENSURES that you can visit any Website that you want, no matter what.

You don`t want that ability?  You want to pay more AND be Restricted?
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
So you don`t mind paying more Per Website and being RESTRICTED to ONLY websites that your Internet Service Provider allows?

Right now, the government ENSURES that you can visit any Website that you want, no matter what.

You don`t want that ability?  You want to pay more AND be Restricted?

Why do you assume that is what is going to happen?

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
Why do you assume that is what is going to happen?
Because ITS THE ISSUE at stake.  Corporations want more control over the internet.

Here this will Explain it better.  Anyone who is a little unclear of what Net Neutrality is, please, please take a moment and watch this Video:

I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
Because ITS THE ISSUE at stake.  Corporations want more control over the internet.

Here this will Explain it better.  Anyone who is a little unclear of what Net Neutrality is, please, please take a moment and watch this Video:

Ok. play devils advocate and tell me why we should end net neutraility

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:04:36 AM »
Ok. play devils advocate and tell me why we should end net neutraility

We NEED Net Neutrality.  I can`t see any positive in letting ISP`s control, restrict, block and charge PER Website which would happen with the elimination of Net Neutrality.

Last year, my city, (along with one in New York)  was to be a test market for Time-Warner`s Tiered Service.  Under that plan we would have been only able to download 10 GB worth a data a month and would pay for each GB over the limit.  About 30 dollars per GB.  Also, Websites were to be Packaged meaning you only get to visit the set of Websites with the package you buy.

Luckily Democratic Congressman Eric Massa (the other test market was in his District in NY) and Chuck Schumer stepped in and blocked this from happening.

I called Time-Warner irate.  A lot of people did, and they did not care.  You see, ISP`s have monopolies as you don`t have much choice how you get the internet.

Luckily Google is beginning their test markets for their Service soon and our city was named as a potential candidate. 
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
Look what nearly happened last year if it wasn`t for Massa, Schumer and Consumer Advocacy Groups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10221470-94.html
April 16, 2009 2:19 PM PDT
Time Warner halts metered billing tests

Time Warner Cable has put the brakes on a trial that was testing its new "consumption-based billing" system for its broadband service, the company said Thursday.
Chief Executive Glenn Britt said in a statement that there has been "a great deal of misunderstanding" by consumers and lawmakers who have criticized the plan.
Britt said that the company still believes that consumption-based billing may be the best way to handle rising network costs among its heaviest bandwidth users. But he conceded the company will not proceed with tests until it consults further with customers and interested parties.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) announced Time Warner's change of heart during a rally in Rochester, N.Y., the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reported earlier on Thursday.
Massa, who represents Rochester, was an early opponent of the plan and has promised to introduce legislation that he has said would protect consumers against companies introducing tiered services, such Time Warner's proposed billing plan.

Massa is still not giving up on his legislation that would ban metered billing.
Time Warner had quietly been testing its metered billing service in Beaumont, Texas, since last year. But last week, the nation's second largest cable provider said that it was planning to expand the test of the bandwidth caps to other cities, including Austin, San Antonio, Rochester, N.Y., and Greensboro, N.C.

The way the plan worked is that Time Warner would cap data downloads and uploads at 10 gigabytes to 60 gigabytes a month with prices ranging from $25 to $65 per month, depending on the region. The company also planned to introduce a new plan that would have offered 100GB of downloads for $75 a month. Additional downloads would be charged $1 a GB with a cap of $75 on the extra fee, essentially making an unlimited plan cost $150 per month.

Time Warner said that it was testing metered billing because some of its subscribers were using an inordinate amount of bandwidth. And as more video and peer-to-peer services come online, the company said that it needed a new business model to handle the rising cost of maintaining and managing its network.

But consumer advocates have argued that Time Warner is simply trying to protect its cable TV business by making it very expensive for users to watch competing video services online. Public Knowledge, one of the more vocal opponents to Time Warner's metering plans, was pleased with the company's decision to table the tests.

"The company properly listened to its subscribers, the public, and policymakers, all of whom were highly critical of the proposition in the first place," Gigi Sohn, president and co-founder of Public Knowledge, said in a statement. "It quickly became clear the plan had nothing to do with managing Time Warner's network, and everything to do with increasing profits at the expense of captive customers in an uncompetitive broadband market."
I Love The True Adon

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
Look what nearly happened last year if it wasn`t for Massa, Schumer and Consumer Advocacy Groups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10221470-94.html
April 16, 2009 2:19 PM PDT
Time Warner halts metered billing tests

Time Warner Cable has put the brakes on a trial that was testing its new "consumption-based billing" system for its broadband service, the company said Thursday.
Chief Executive Glenn Britt said in a statement that there has been "a great deal of misunderstanding" by consumers and lawmakers who have criticized the plan.
Britt said that the company still believes that consumption-based billing may be the best way to handle rising network costs among its heaviest bandwidth users. But he conceded the company will not proceed with tests until it consults further with customers and interested parties.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) announced Time Warner's change of heart during a rally in Rochester, N.Y., the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reported earlier on Thursday.
Massa, who represents Rochester, was an early opponent of the plan and has promised to introduce legislation that he has said would protect consumers against companies introducing tiered services, such Time Warner's proposed billing plan.

Massa is still not giving up on his legislation that would ban metered billing.
Time Warner had quietly been testing its metered billing service in Beaumont, Texas, since last year. But last week, the nation's second largest cable provider said that it was planning to expand the test of the bandwidth caps to other cities, including Austin, San Antonio, Rochester, N.Y., and Greensboro, N.C.

The way the plan worked is that Time Warner would cap data downloads and uploads at 10 gigabytes to 60 gigabytes a month with prices ranging from $25 to $65 per month, depending on the region. The company also planned to introduce a new plan that would have offered 100GB of downloads for $75 a month. Additional downloads would be charged $1 a GB with a cap of $75 on the extra fee, essentially making an unlimited plan cost $150 per month.

Time Warner said that it was testing metered billing because some of its subscribers were using an inordinate amount of bandwidth. And as more video and peer-to-peer services come online, the company said that it needed a new business model to handle the rising cost of maintaining and managing its network.

But consumer advocates have argued that Time Warner is simply trying to protect its cable TV business by making it very expensive for users to watch competing video services online. Public Knowledge, one of the more vocal opponents to Time Warner's metering plans, was pleased with the company's decision to table the tests.

"The company properly listened to its subscribers, the public, and policymakers, all of whom were highly critical of the proposition in the first place," Gigi Sohn, president and co-founder of Public Knowledge, said in a statement. "It quickly became clear the plan had nothing to do with managing Time Warner's network, and everything to do with increasing profits at the expense of captive customers in an uncompetitive broadband market."

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't your city part of that hoopla where the government has a partial stake as an internet service and Time Warner wanted to block it or something along those lines? 

I would like to see more about thsi as I can see paying tiered for faster speeds which is already what Time Warner does, but I don't like the idea of paying for cert websites and download limits.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't your city part of that hoopla where the government has a partial stake as an internet service and Time Warner wanted to block it or something along those lines?  

I would like to see more about thsi as I can see paying tiered for faster speeds which is already what Time Warner does, but I don't like the idea of paying for cert websites and download limits.
Nope. Not in my city. No government stake at all.  Time Warner totally stopped their efforts of a tiered service so they don`t do it.

There is one city in North Carolina, Wilson, who has what they call Greenlight Fiber Optic Internet, which is a Free internet service to all of its residents and it also happens to be the FASTEST internet in the State and one of the Fastest in the Country.

In order to fund the Greenlight project, the city of Wilson used funds from bonds, instead of taxpayer money.

I could only wish that would come to us.  Hopefully we will get the Google contract as we are a top city for the running.
I Love The True Adon

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »
I'm praying atlanta becomes a test market for google's isp.  Right now I'm hitting 30mbps down and 15 up, I want gigabit damnit.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »
I'm praying atlanta becomes a test market for google's isp.  Right now I'm hitting 30mbps down and 15 up, I want gigabit damnit.
We had a huge city-wide campaign for it.  Did you guys have a vote for it too?
I Love The True Adon

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
FCC loses key ruling on Internet `neutrality'
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
FCC loses key ruling on Internet `neutrality'

By JOELLE TESSLER, AP Technology Writer
 – Tue Apr 6, 5:39 pm ET

WASHINGTON – A federal court threw the future of Internet regulations into doubt Tuesday with a far-reaching decision that went against the Federal Communications Commission and could even hamper the government's plans to expand broadband access in the United States.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that the FCC lacks authority to require broadband providers to give equal treatment to all Internet traffic flowing over their networks. That was a big victory for Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company, which had challenged the FCC's authority to impose such "network neutrality" obligations on broadband providers.

Supporters of network neutrality, including the FCC chairman, have argued that the policy is necessary to prevent broadband providers from favoring or discriminating against certain Web sites and online services, such as Internet phone programs or software that runs in a Web browser. Advocates contend there is precedent: Nondiscrimination rules have traditionally applied to so-called "common carrier" networks that serve the public, from roads and highways to electrical grids and telephone lines.

But broadband providers such as Comcast, AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. argue that after spending billions of dollars on their networks, they should be able to sell premium services and manage their systems to prevent certain applications from hogging capacity.

Tuesday's unanimous ruling by the three-judge panel was a setback for the FCC because it questioned the agency's authority to regulate broadband. That could cause problems beyond the FCC's effort to adopt official net neutrality regulations. It also has serious implications for the ambitious national broadband-expansion plan released by the FCC last month. The FCC needs the authority to regulate broadband so that it can push ahead with some of the plan's key recommendations. Among other things, the FCC proposes to expand broadband by tapping the federal fund that subsidizes telephone service in poor and rural communities.

In a statement, the FCC said it remains "firmly committed to promoting an open Internet and to policies that will bring the enormous benefits of broadband to all Americans" and "will rest these policies ... on a solid legal foundation."

Comcast welcomed the decision, saying "our primary goal was always to clear our name and reputation."

The case centers on Comcast's actions in 2007 when it interfered with an online file-sharing service called BitTorrent, which lets people swap movies and other big files over the Internet. The next year the FCC banned Comcast from blocking subscribers from using BitTorrent. The commission, at the time headed by Republican Kevin Martin, based its order on a set of net neutrality principles it had adopted in 2005.

But Comcast argued that the FCC order was illegal because the agency was seeking to enforce mere policy principles, which don't have the force of regulations or law. That's one reason that Martin's successor, Democratic FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, is trying to formalize those rules.

The cable company had also argued the FCC lacks authority to mandate net neutrality because it had deregulated broadband under the Bush administration, a decision upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005.

The FCC now defines broadband as a lightly regulated information service. That means it is not subject to the "common carrier" obligations that make traditional telecommunications services share their networks with competitors and treat all traffic equally. But the FCC maintains that existing law gives it authority to set rules for information services.

Tuesday's court decision rejected that reasoning, concluding that Congress has not given the FCC "untrammeled freedom" to regulate without explicit legal authority.

With so much at stake, the FCC now has several options. It could ask Congress to give it explicit authority to regulate broadband. Or it could appeal Tuesday's decision.

But both of those steps could take too long because the agency "has too many important things they have to do right away," said Ben Scott, policy director for the public interest group Free Press. Free Press was among the groups that alerted the FCC after The Associated Press ran tests and reported that Comcast was interfering with attempts by some subscribers to share files online.

Scott believes that the likeliest step by the FCC is that it will simply reclassify broadband as a more heavily regulated telecommunications service. That, ironically, could be the worst-case outcome from the perspective of the phone and cable companies.

"Comcast swung an ax at the FCC to protest the BitTorrent order," Scott said. "And they sliced right through the FCC's arm and plunged the ax into their own back."

The battle over the FCC's legal jurisdiction comes amid a larger policy dispute over the merits of net neutrality. Backed by Internet companies such as Google Inc. and the online calling service Skype, the FCC says rules are needed to prevent phone and cable companies from prioritizing some traffic or degrading or services that compete with their core businesses. Indeed, BitTorrent can be used to transfer large files such as online video, which could threaten Comcast's cable TV business.

But broadband providers point to the fact that applications such as BitTorrent use an outsized amount of network capacity.

For its part, the FCC offered no details on its next step, but stressed that it remains committed to the principle of net neutrality.

"Today's court decision invalidated the prior commission's approach to preserving an open Internet," the agency's statement said. "But the court in no way disagreed with the importance of preserving a free and open Internet; nor did it close the door to other methods for achieving this important end."

Welcome to Internet censorship worse than China's where websites and content providers are held hostage

This is just as bad as Al Capone's or Lucky Luciano's fire insurance. What a racket!
w

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 07:19:42 AM »
Nope. Not in my city. No government stake at all.  Time Warner totally stopped their efforts of a tiered service so they don`t do it.

There is one city in North Carolina, Wilson, who has what they call Greenlight Fiber Optic Internet, which is a Free internet service to all of its residents and it also happens to be the FASTEST internet in the State and one of the Fastest in the Country.

In order to fund the Greenlight project, the city of Wilson used funds from bonds, instead of taxpayer money.

I could only wish that would come to us.  Hopefully we will get the Google contract as we are a top city for the running.

Thank you, that's the story I was talking about.  I still would like to see what this net neutrality is all about though.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 07:35:38 AM »
Thank you, that's the story I was talking about.  I still would like to see what this net neutrality is all about though.
Just remember this:

Net Neutrality ensures that the ISP`s cannot restrict website access or charge per Website or bundle say 20 websites and any more you want to visit you have to pay more.  The Government wants to ensure that the Internet is accessible to all and that you won`t have to pay per website.  The "founders" of the internet also support this as do google and of course the overwhelming majority of the internet.

Cable companies and their Corporations DO NOT want Net Neutrality because this means they can Charge per Website, Charge for Tiered Service, Restrict Access to only sites they approve or have a contract with, Eliminate the ability to freely download and force you to have access to Websites that only they approve or have in their networks.  They also want to restrict Video Viewing as they want you to subscribe to their Television Cable service since that aspect is taking a giant hit, especially since High Definition Streaming is now widespread.

So a vote against Net Neutrality is a vote against your internet freedom and a vote for Corporations to do whatever they please when it comes to dictating what sites you get to visit and how much each site costs to visit.

The language of it can be confusing and I fear that the public cannot grasp what it is and they will unknowingly do the bidding for the Corporations, thinking that they are on their side.  They aren`t.  They just want to maximize profits by restricting access and making you pay MORE for content that you  do not have to pay for right now since you can visit any site you want without paying extra.
I Love The True Adon

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 08:14:17 AM »
I agree and disagree with what you're saying adam, its just such a fine line to walk.  Comcast used "sandvine" for a while to try and deter torrent users, but those in the know got around it.  Currently they have a cap of 250 gb/month on total internet usage.  Me being the nerd that I am have found a way around this.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 08:16:22 AM »
I agree and disagree with what you're saying adam, its just such a fine line to walk.  Comcast used "sandvine" for a while to try and deter torrent users, but those in the know got around it.  Currently they have a cap of 250 gb/month on total internet usage.  Me being the nerd that I am have found a way around this.
What happens if they find out and shut your service off?  Also, doesn`t it suck that you have to find ways around that cap limit?

Imagine how bad it can get if you have to pay per website or per website package.
I Love The True Adon

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »
What happens if they find out and shut your service off?  Also, doesn`t it suck that you have to find ways around that cap limit?

Imagine how bad it can get if you have to pay per website or per website package.

Honestly adam, it would take such a vast amount of resources to track what I'm doing. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 09:51:23 AM »
Why couldnt they have spent the damn stim bill money to creat a nationwide free wifi network of some sort?   

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »
Why couldnt they have spent the damn stim bill money to creat a nationwide free wifi network of some sort?   
Agreed.  That is something that is worth the money and a benefit to all. 
I Love The True Adon