Author Topic: Ontario bishop resigns suddenly  (Read 1970 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Ontario bishop resigns suddenly
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Ontario bishop resigns suddenly
Wed Apr 7, 9:02 PM

CALGARY (CBC) - The bishop of a Roman Catholic diocese in southern Ontario has unexpectedly resigned from his post.

Bishop James Wingle, who led the Diocese of St. Catharines since 2002, submitted his resignation to Pope Benedict XVI. It was accepted Wednesday morning and was effective immediately. Wingle, 63, provided no specific reason for his resignation.

In a letter to parishioners, posted on the diocese website, Wingle wrote that he decided to resign after much prayer and reflection. He said it is not easy to leave the people he has come to "love and cherish."

"The duties of the office of a diocesan bishop call for vigorous stamina to meet the challenges of leadership," he wrote. "I am no longer able to maintain the necessary stamina to fulfill properly my duties.

"It has been a privilege and a blessing to have served with you," he added. "If my shortcomings and limitations have caused any disappointment, I ask for God's mercy and your understanding. I pray that the work we have accomplished in the service of the Lord and his church will bear much fruit, now and in the years to come. "

Wingle worked for the Ontario Attorney General's office for five years in the 1970s before becoming an ordained priest for the diocese of Pembroke in Eganville, Ont. in 1977.

In 1993, he was named bishop of Yarmouth, N.S., and he served in that province until he moved to St. Catharines on Jan. 24, 2002.

Those who knew Wingle said the resignation came as a shock.

"There was no mention This came as a surprise to us all," said Msgr. Wayne Kirkpatrick of the St. Catharines diocese. "We're surmising from that that it is a matter of illness, but we don't know.

Kirkpatrick said the next step for the diocese is to elect an administrator until a new bishop is appointed, which could take months or longer.

Hmmmm... was this really about his health?
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Ontario bishop resigns suddenly
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »
I'm sure there is a good reason

maybe he wants to spend more time with his family

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:32:21 AM »
I'm sure there is a good reason

maybe he wants to spend more time with his family

With a vow of celibacy, I don't think he has a family. he submits his resignation Wednesday to the Pope, effective immediately, and it is accepted the same day with no explanation given? My intuition says there's much more to it. I wouldn't be surprised if a new scandal is brewing, ...or one narrowly averted. Something about the wording of his letter to parishioners has my intuition working overtime.... 'sides, ...he is a Roman Catholic priest.  :-\

"If my shortcomings and limitations have caused any disappointment, I ask for God's mercy and your understanding. I pray that the work we have accomplished in the service of the Lord and his church will bear much fruit, now and in the years to come. "

This doesn't sound to me like someone resigning to spend time with family or to take care of one's health. It says to me, this is someone leaving in disgrace and asking forgiveness for wrongdoing.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:58:07 AM »
With a vow of celibacy, I don't think he has a family. he submits his resignation Wednesday to the Pope, effective immediately, and it is accepted the same day with no explanation given? My intuition says there's much more to it. I wouldn't be surprised if a new scandal is brewing, ...or one narrowly averted. Something about the wording of his letter to parishioners has my intuition working overtime.... 'sides, ...he is a Roman Catholic priest.  :-\

"If my shortcomings and limitations have caused any disappointment, I ask for God's mercy and your understanding. I pray that the work we have accomplished in the service of the Lord and his church will bear much fruit, now and in the years to come. "

This doesn't sound to me like someone resigning to spend time with family or to take care of one's health. It says to me, this is someone leaving in disgrace and asking forgiveness for wrongdoing.

no kidding?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »
How is this politics related?

beats me

then again - the Vatican is technically a  sovereign state embroiled in a multigenerational coverup of what appears to a worldwide ring of child molestors and the leader of that state seems to been directly involved in the coverup

that might have something to do with politics

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:13:48 AM »
I had threads about free speech and terrorism moved to the religious board because they involved Islam. Is it safe to assume every thread on here involving a religious group will be moved or is there just a double standard with regards to Christianity on here?

don't ask me

I'm not a mod

besides we have Mods on here who post about some ex politicians teenage daughters thoughts on pregnancy

wtf does that have to do with politics?