Author Topic: Fitness Industry Scam Certifications REVEALED  (Read 16690 times)

HugeRipped

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Fitness Industry Scam Certifications REVEALED
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:20:39 PM »
Becoming a personal trainer and dedicating one's life to assisting others in attaining their health and fitness goals is a life-saving and noble career choice. Unfortunately, there are a few scam certifications out there with the sole purpose of making a quick buck and "certifying" unprofessional con artists. Below is a list of the most prominent scam certifications you are likely to encounter if you are looking for a personal trainer. Avoid anyone that has these certifications at all costs, as it is a huge red flag that they are simply a con artist.

SCAM CERTIFICATIONS:

ISSA
Can-Fit-Pro
ACE
AFPA
AFTA
NFPT

Beware, there are many more scam certifications out there and the common denominator to all of them is that they allow you to get certified online. A true fitness professional spends many years of his or her life dedicated to studying human physiology, nutrition and exercise science - it is a joke to believe that someone can simply claim to be qualified to assist others in their health and fitness goals by paying money to take an online test. A true personal trainer has earned his certification through hands on training and years of academics. Remember, no certification is a valid replacement for, AT MINIMUM, a B.S. in Exercise Science. Your fitness trainer should hold a degree in Exercise Science as well as a hands-on, textbook based certification. That said, here is a list of some valid certifications that, in addition to a degree in Exercise Science, qualify one to be a fitness professional.

Valid Certifications:

CSCS
NCSF
NPTI

If you have just started working with a trainer, ask him or her "What is your college degree in?" If they answer anything less than a Bachelors in Exercise Science or Nutrition, drop them immediately. It takes years of schooling to understand the human body's delicate and detailed physiology as it relates to exercise science. If they pass the first question ask them "With what organization are you certified?" You are looking for them to answer with CSCS, NCSF or NPTI, if they give you a name you have never heard of, go home and investigate it. If you find out thar organization offers "home study" programs it is a SCAM. Furthermore, if they answer with one of the above mentioned scam certifications, treat that as a major red flag and leave because they will only be wasting your time and stealing your money.

- HR

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: Fitness Industry Scam Certifications REVEALED
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
I had to squint at first to see it, but good job, I agree.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
Becoming a personal trainer and dedicating one's life to assisting others in attaining their health and fitness goals is a life-saving and noble career choice. Unfortunately, there are a few scam certifications out there with the sole purpose of making a quick buck and "certifying" unprofessional con artists. Below is a list of the most prominent scam certifications you are likely to encounter if you are looking for a personal trainer. Avoid anyone that has these certifications at all costs, as it is a huge red flag that they are simply a con artist.

SCAM CERTIFICATIONS:

ISSA
Can-Fit-Pro
ACE
AFPA
AFTA
NFPT

Beware, there are many more scam certifications out there and the common denominator to all of them is that they allow you to get certified online. A true fitness professional spends many years of his or her life dedicated to studying human physiology, nutrition and exercise science - it is a joke to believe that someone can simply claim to be qualified to assist others in their health and fitness goals by paying money to take an online test. A true personal trainer has earned his certification through hands on training and years of academics. Remember, no certification is a valid replacement for, AT MINIMUM, a B.S. in Exercise Science. Your fitness trainer should hold a degree in Exercise Science as well as a hands-on, textbook based certification. That said, here is a list of some valid certifications that, in addition to a degree in Exercise Science, qualify one to be a fitness professional.

Valid Certifications:

CSCS
NCSF
NPTI

If you have just started working with a trainer, ask him or her "What is your college degree in?" If they answer anything less than a Bachelors in Exercise Science or Nutrition, drop them immediately. It takes years of schooling to understand the human body's delicate and detailed physiology as it relates to exercise science. If they pass the first question ask them "With what organization are you certified?" You are looking for them to answer with CSCS, NCSF or NPTI, if they give you a name you have never heard of, go home and investigate it. If you find out thar organization offers "home study" programs it is a SCAM. Furthermore, if they answer with one of the above mentioned scam certifications, treat that as a major red flag and leave because they will only be wasting your time and stealing your money.

- HR

Whew..good thing I don't have any of those ::) But what I do have is results from my clients, protocols you can't figure out even I told you and I probably 10 times more than you doing it. Hahahahahaha!

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:31:32 PM »
....................../΄―/)
....................,/―../
.................../..../
............./΄―/'...'/΄――`·Έ
........../'/.../..../......./¨―\
........('(...΄...΄.... ―~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·΄
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Nigerian scammers

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »
....................../΄―/)
....................,/―../
.................../..../
............./΄―/'...'/΄――`·Έ
........../'/.../..../......./¨―\
........('(...΄...΄.... ―~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·΄
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Nigerian scammers

WIN

Bodybuilding Related

• Getbig IV
  • We Are All Blessed To Be Here
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:34:10 PM »
OK that's it, I don't think this guy is a gimmick anymore!

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »
You need two degrees to count reps?!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »

SCAM CERTIFICATIONS:

ISSA
Can-Fit-Pro
ACE
AFPA
AFTA
NFPT

Valid Certifications:

CSCS
NCSF
NPTI

- HR

and keep moving!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 05:59:33 AM »

SCAM CERTIFICATIONS:

ISSA
Can-Fit-Pro
ACE
AFPA
AFTA
NFPT

Valid Certifications:

CSCS
NCSF
NPTI

- HR

::)
A

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 06:01:10 AM »
I wonder how many of the successful trainers, $75k plus a year I would say, have ANY degrees in excercise related fields?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 06:03:33 AM »
I wonder how many of the successful trainers, $75k plus a year I would say, have ANY degrees in excercise related fields?
Yep most have experience of training people for years not some twink with a internet paper degree.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »

that is awesome

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:35 AM »

You need two degrees to count reps--make no money and have to get a real job when you turn 30 (if you are smart).

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:41 AM »
Yep most have experience of training people for years not some twink with a internet paper degree.

The ones I dealt with, it was all about marketing/personality.  I knew some who were knowledgable, but not likable and they stuggled to find clients.  I knew some who would actually come to me for advise who had a huge client base.  Money making trainers, by and large, are more about being somebody a person feels comfortable with rather than a wealth of knowledge.

buffdnet

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • fuck the pope
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 07:01:15 AM »
The ones I dealt with, it was all about marketing/personality.  I knew some who were knowledgable, but not likable and they stuggled to find clients.  I knew some who would actually come to me for advise who had a huge client base.  Money making trainers, by and large, are more about being somebody a person feels comfortable with rather than a wealth of knowledge.
hence it's a sales job at that level. is why so many fail.
no salesmanship.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:15:29 AM »
hence it's a sales job at that level. is why so many fail.
no salesmanship.

Exactly.  I was selling them equipment (ie: making money off of them) , so if you couldn't make me like you, what chance did they have of making someone who is paying them like them enough to want to continue to use them?

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 07:19:17 AM »

lol!  ;D
carpe` vaginum!

PORKY

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »
This is like saying a NABBA  pro bodybuilder is not recognised under the IFBB flag. Who gives shit? No one certification is recognised in that case and should be considered a scam then cos who is the right org that one should follow?  ::)
P

Below Me

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 07:42:08 AM »
A degree, or any little piece of paper that someone hangs on a wall, only proves you can take a test and pass it. 

buffdnet

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • fuck the pope
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »
naw it only proves you have a little piece paper on your wall.

corrected

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
A degree, or any little piece of paper that someone hangs on a wall, only proves you can take a test and pass it. 
That's 100% correct.  NOTHING but NOTHING beat actual experience.  Some people are book smart but when it comes down to actually doing something they can't do shit.  You can read all the books on welding you want and be able to talk the talk about it.  But, go up against a guy like Jesse James and see who can weld. That is why I really don't admire book smart people as much as people who have actually "DONE IT".  People like Goodrum who gets online cerets but does not actually train or diet or practices what he preaches.  Not impressed at all.
No Worries 4 me

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 08:49:07 AM »

...and that you have studied the MINIMUM requirements it takes to pass that test. Nothing beats real world practical application.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 08:50:18 AM »
hahahahahahahahaha

on a side note, anyone is willing to pay if you look good and promise them you re going to get them looking as good as you do, certs , degrees or not.

NOW ON THE OTHER HAND A DEGREE IS VERY WELCOME WHEN YOU WANT TO BECOME A SURGEON DENTIST ETC it really validates a valuable experience.
A degree also allows you to earn more and quicker than those who dont have em.

Not having any diplomas is only OK if you are an entrepreneur and own your own business.Lets be honnest here you dont need any diploma to be a trainer, but you for sure need them for other types of jobs.

I wouldnt let goodcum talk to me/teach me anything even if he had all the most serious degrees and certs in the world.

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:21 AM »

and without that little piece of paper you will most likely be working at Mc Donalds for the rest of your life  ;D