Author Topic: Allegations of spitting and slurs at Capitol protest merit more reporting  (Read 3123 times)

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
Demonstrators at the Capitol were loud and angry on March 20 as they jeered House Democrats preparing to approve landmark health-care legislation. Before the day ended, The Post and other news organizations had reported a series of incidents so ugly they were denounced by congressional leaders of both parties.

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II, a black Democrat from Missouri, said a protester spit on him. Rep. Barney Frank, the openly gay Democrat from Massachusetts, was heckled with anti-gay slurs. Two black Democrats, Reps. André Carson of Indiana and John Lewis of Georgia, said protesters subjected them to racial epithets. The episodes were recounted for days in Post stories and columns. Much blame was directed at Tea Party activists.

But many readers, echoing conservative broadcasters and bloggers, insist the reports were exaggerated or that the events simply never took place.

Post reports were "based on no proof at all and without even offering any evidence," District reader Clarice Feldman charged in an e-mail.

Conservative commentator and blogger Andrew Breitbart has accused Lewis and Carson of fabricating claims of racial epithets to "create the impression that the 'tea party' movement is racist." He initially offered $10,000 to the United Negro College Fund for video evidence of the slurs. It's now $100,000. "They didn't expect someone would challenge them on this," Breitbart told me. "What idiot would challenge John Lewis," a civil rights movement icon? "Well, I'm that idiot."

Let's take them in order

YouTube videos show the spitting incident took place as Cleaver and other black lawmakers passed through a gantlet of rowdy protesters on the steps outside the Cannon House Office Building. Amid booing and chants of "kill the bill," Cleaver is seen reacting as he passes screaming protesters. He turns, points an accusing finger and appears to chastise one, who is shouting nonstop. As he continues up the steps, Cleaver uses his hand to wipe a protester's saliva from his face.

Cleaver was hit with spit, but whether it was deliberate is very much in question. The video suggests he was unintentionally sprayed by the screaming protester. The distinction is significant because it fundamentally changes widespread media characterizations of what occurred. The Post and other news organizations left the impression of a despicable, premeditated assault. With videos of the incident so prevalent on liberal and conservative Web sites, and with the question being so widely raised in the blogosphere and on cable channels, The Post was remiss in not providing clarity by quickly dissecting what happened. (Cleaver's office did not return repeated calls seeking comment for this column.)

The episode involving Barney Frank is more clear-cut. Many readers have told me there is no evidence to support The Post's report that Frank was subjected to anti-gay slurs. They're wrong. An ABC News video recorded the incident inside a House office building. When ABC aired its video, the epithets were bleeped. A review of the unaltered footage, made by ABC at my request, clearly captures a protester shouting, "Barney, you homo." Case closed.

If there is video or audio evidence of the racial slurs against Lewis and Carson, it has yet to emerge. Breitbart insists they "made it up." If so, they're good actors.

Roxana Tiron, a reporter for the Hill newspaper, said she was talking with a congressional staffer inside a House entrance to the Capitol when a "trembling" and "agitated" Carson said he and Lewis had just been called the N-word by protesters outside. "He literally grabbed me by the arm and . . . said 'You need to come out with me,' " imploring her to step back outside to listen to the taunts. Post reporter Paul Kane was nearby and witnessed Carson's reaction. "It was real. It was raw. It was angry. It was emotional. And he wanted it documented," recalled Kane, who said U.S. Capitol Police prevented them from going outside. Carson later told the Associated Press the protesters had chanted the N-word "15 times." Breitbart told me the "phantom 15 words" is "beyond absurd."

Through spokesman Justin Ohlemiller, Carson stands by his assertion. The spokeswoman for Lewis, Brenda Jones, insists he and his chief of staff heard repeated uses of the N-word. They are declining interviews, she said, because they don't want to "fan the flames of destructive language."

Breitbart's $100,000 challenge may be publicity-seeking theater. But it's part of widespread conservative claims that mainstream media, including The Post, swallowed a huge fabrication. The incidents are weeks old, but it's worth assigning Post reporters to find the truth. After all, a civil rights legend is being called a liar. That aside, there's serious money at stake.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/09/AR2010040903716.html
RIP Bob Probert

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
In the footage of Cleaver its obvious HE WAS NOT SPIT AT.The guy has his hands around his mouth.Show me ONE human being on earth who spits like that so they end up with spit on their own hands.Its a lie!!

Barney Frank may have been called a homo,but he was called Barney Fag by another congressman on the floor of the congress.Nothing new,he calls himself a homo all the time.If its ok for Frank to call himself a homo ,its ok for everyone else.

NO ONE WAS CALLED THE N WORD.This is a lie made up by the race baiting John Lewis.The same John Lewis who said John McCain was like George Wallace.The same John Lewis who said Joe Scarborough was like BILL CONNER because Scarborough wanted to only increase school lunch programs by 4% instead of 6%.This man is a race baiter living in Selma.

All of these allegations are a lie,BUT if they were true the blame should go to Nancy Pelosi who insisted on walking through the crowd with a gavel to antagonise them.They could have used the tiunnels but Pelosi WANTED a confrontation and dragged he black congressman through the crowd like a slaveowner on a plantation.It was disgusting and disgracefull.They wanted a fight,didnt get one so they made up lies.Thats the liberal way,make up racial lies like they aleways do.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
So, these incidents are still stuck in the "allegation" phase?

I thought there was all sorts of video/audio that was to provide total and indeniable proof that these incidents did, in fact, occur?

Or are the videos still being kept hidden away or something?

I would think there would have to be proof of it somewhere for this "story" to have legs like it seems to have....

Strange.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
'say it don't spray it' was the case here.

yea, saliva hit him from a rude prick in the crowd.

It wasn't hocking a lugie, but the result was the same, he went home wearing the guy's mouthpiece.

so we're really arguing semantics on this one.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

It wasn't hocking a lugie, but the result was the same, he went home wearing the guy's mouthpiece.

Thaats the silliest thing Ive ever heard.So If I rear back and spit at you ,its the same as if Im like Chris Mathews and accidently do it.Great point.By the way,NO SPIT HIT CLEAVER AT ALL!Its a lie.If your spit on ,you whipe it off immeadiately.He didnt,he was startled at the guy yelling at him thats why he pulled away,no spit hit him at all.This is a typical case of black libs making up a racial incident.Its right out of the John Lewis book.ZERO PROOF!ALL LIES!TYPICAL LIB IDIOTS!

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman

That was my feeling too, either way , once you get somebody's bodily fluid on your face....I'd say that qualifies as spitting. Not pleasant by any means to fill stuff dripping off your face..yikes.
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Lewis pelosi sharpton jackson and most of these other jerks are always looking for some issue to claim outrage over to keep the race issue going. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
Oh, did someone finally release the tape that has all of the solid evidence that proves that these Congressmen were spat on and called racial slurs?

Or are we still waiting?

240 is Back

• Getbig V

I think most people would look at this and figure the guy got some spray on him

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
The media has a responsibility of absolutely verifying claims before reporting and creating negative & critical perceptions of a whole party.  Very irresponsible or very calculated with partisan intent.
The video clearly shows that the single angry protestor did not purposely spit on the congressman, he was yelling & likely sprayed some saliva.

If a single protester called Barney Frank a homo, this is not newsworthy and shouldn't reflect negatively on a whole movement.  That's ridiculous.
If a large group of people chanted something, that is newsworthy and legit for attack...we don't have good evidence of that.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

I think most people would look at this and figure the guy got some spray on him

I wouldnt,it looks to me like he was startled that he was getting screamed at.He didnt whipe off anything.By the way,if a guy accidently getting saliva on you while yelling or screaming,then every guest on Chris Mathews show should report that Mathews spit on him because that drooling idiot has saliva spewing out of his mouth everytime he speaks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
This is another liberal emotional hack job gone wrong.  AGAIN! 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
COPS AND SECURITY ALL AROUND HIM NOT ONE  STEPPED TO THE GUY,NOT ONE WARNED THE GUY,NO ARRESTS,NOTHING.A typical liberal lie,led by the king of all racial liars ,the disgraceful John Lewis,the king of the race baiters,who still thinks everyday is a march on Selma and the man who compared John McCain to George Wallace on the floor of the congress.Liberals exposed as the filthy,race baiting liars they are,nothing better then that.

Skeeter

I wouldnt,it looks to me like he was startled that he was getting screamed at.He didnt whipe off anything.By the way,if a guy accidently getting saliva on you while yelling or screaming,then every guest on Chris Mathews show should report that Mathews spit on him because that drooling idiot has saliva spewing out of his mouth everytime he speaks.

0:30

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
0:30

Oh please,thats him whiping his own spit off his huge black lips.Once again,security EVERYWHERE.Any arrests,any warnings,anyone talk to the guy,step to the guy?NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!Liberal lies!!!!!!!!!!!!The lies have backfired as the poll I see says 60% of Americans say they are closer to the tea parties then Barack Hussein Obama.Thse filthy black congressman have been playing the race card for years,its now backfiring on them.NO ONE believes them.In fact Americans say THEY are to blame if there was any violence at these rallies.

Skeeter

Although you don't see the spit, by the congressman's reaction it looks a lot like a case of "Say it, don't spray it". This debate is familiar to me though...

;D

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Although you don't see the spit, by the congressman's reaction it looks a lot like a case of "Say it, don't spray it". This debate is familiar to me though...

;D

That must have been one magic lugee.It got through the spitters cupped hands,avoiding his hands in the process,got through security,and landed on the lips of Cleaver some 10 seonds later as he first yelled at the spitter and walked up 5 stairs.Pretty incredible indeed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I think if you showed the clip to 100 people, the majority would believe the congressman caught some inadvertant spittle from the screaming guy, much as spittle's guests on hardball wear it all the time.

Some people jut spit when they talk.  I know, unless you have DNA from this guy BILLY, youre going to give him the beenfit of the doubt, and that's cool.  Obviously it wasn't a big loogie, but the congressman (IMO) did catch saliva to the face.

Sure the media over-dramatized it.

Skeeter

;D

Apparently someone beat me to the punch on this.
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2010/03/emanuel_cleaver_spitting_incident_now_mirrors_seinfeld_parody.php

Oh well.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I think if you showed the clip to 100 people, the majority would believe the congressman caught some inadvertant spittle from the screaming guy, much as spittle's guests on hardball wear it all the time.

Some people jut spit when they talk.  I know, unless you have DNA from this guy BILLY, youre going to give him the beenfit of the doubt, and that's cool.  Obviously it wasn't a big loogie, but the congressman (IMO) did catch saliva to the face.

So you admit the guy DIDNT PURPOSELY spit at the congressman which is the allegation.The allegation wasnt that a guy was like Chris Mathews and spittle happened to hit the congressman.The allegation was tea party people spit at him.Those are two very very different things.Admit it,there was no spitting incident at all,there were no racial slurs used at all,it was made up by the left and NO ONE but the far left loons like Mathews believes it.Actually,even Mathews doesnt believe it,but like EVERYTHING the left does ,its all politics to make Obama look less guilty of PURPOSELY destroying the country.

GigantorX

• Getbig V

Don't play this little game like you always do.

The media went fool bore on this one. "They" stated over and over and over again that the Congressman was "SPAT ON" and was called a black among a bevy of other racial slurs. That was angle to stab at the Tea Party with. Again, "they" informed the world that these Congressmen were SPAT ON and called a host of racial slurs. The race baiter's in the media and the head race baiter's like Sharpton etc all said that they had it all on TAPE and it would show that the Congressmen were SPAT ON, on purpose, and called a inhuman racial slurs. Posters on this very board said the same.

I see none of that here. This is a video, is it not? I see none of that in this video.

If the best you can come up with is "Well, he caught some inadvertent spittle from a guy screaming" and use that lame ass video and the best you can do is "Well, I think most people would say he caught some spray...." than this whole thing is a bunch of nothing and a bunch of failed lies.

The media and the race baiter's pushed to hard. They have zero evidence and the mystery "Tell All" tape doesn't exist.

Story=False.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Has anyone taken Breitbart, RIP, up on this? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
So you admit the guy DIDNT PURPOSELY spit at the congressman which is the allegation.

of course i agree with that