Author Topic: Greg Deferro. Remember him?  (Read 26365 times)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Greg Deferro. Remember him?
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »
Respect to this 1980's competitor who tragically died in 2007 at the young age of 53. He was in GREAT condition in the early-mid 80's.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
Re: Greg Deferro. Remember him?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
Remember him from the old World's.  I very rarely saw him smile.  He was pretty big.  He always reminded me of a pissed off Dennis Tinnerino for some reason.  Never talked to him or anything cause he always looked mad.
No Worries 4 me

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »
they called him Rocky in Muscle Mag International due to a Stallone resemblance. i never saw it tho.

are those pics from George Snyder's 'Best in the World' competition?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
What did he die of?

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:14:45 AM »
they called him Rocky in Muscle Mag International due to a Stallone resemblance. i never saw it tho.

are those pics from George Snyder's 'Best in the World' competition?

Yep you are right they did call him Rocky.  You just reminded me of that.
No Worries 4 me

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 03:11:15 AM »
very good hamstring development for the time

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:45:48 AM »
Greg had a great year in 1983 and competed in great condition,i can`t understand why he never bothered with the olympia that year,unless the dieting for the early shows burnt him out.Imagine sitting at home though and hearing the results and knowing that the 3rd placed guy was someone you beat a few months previous. Greg placed 2nd and Haney 3rd in the World Pro at the start of the year behind Makkawy,so i wonder where he would have placed in the 83 Olympia.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:12:23 AM »
anyone else know the real reason he didn't make the 1983 olympia?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:39:19 AM »

He was also the guy that Arnold referred to when he said "He's so wide you could land an airplane on those deltoids" or something similar.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:43:04 AM »
What was the cause of his death?

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:00:36 AM »
heart attack

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:27 AM »
anyone else know the real reason he didn't make the 1983 olympia?

what was it??

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »
Looked great - big bicep

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »
IIRC he was disqualified during his Masters O comeback because he was taking a shit when his name was called out for comparisons. No shit.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 08:08:14 AM »
IIRC he was disqualified during his Masters O comeback because he was taking a shit when his name was called out for comparisons. No shit.

;D

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
what was it??
he prepared for the show - with the help of his wife who worked two jobs - then left for germany via london.

problem was he met some hottie in london and shacked up there with her for a week instead of competing.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:26 PM »
guy didn't get much respect and from above story i can see why typical  prick. he didn't get many covers during his career. i remember one issue of im they had an early lite steroid pic back in his mister new joizey days , you won't even know it was the same guy.
F

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
he prepared for the show - with the help of his wife who worked two jobs - then left for germany via london.

problem was he met some hottie in london and shacked up there with her for a week instead of competing.

some things never change

so this guy was one of the few that beat haney... never knew that

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
Yep you are right they did call him Rocky.  You just reminded me of that.

You oowe THE BEEF a $100 you fat slob.

THE BEEF

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
Somehow they're all in great condition... him, Don Youngblood, Mike Mentzer, all the dead wrestlers..etc.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
He had a lazy Nasser eye.

Old School Trainer

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »
When I sat through my first personal training class Greg was there.  It was back in 1991 I think?  I had no idea who he was, but he did have some big arms.  He sat there eating hard boiled eggs that stunk up the entire room on break.  He looked really old for a guy of his age at that time.  My friend who was also in the class told me who he was.  He wasn't very friendly at all.

A couple of years later he came over to the Cherry Hill Golds Gym in which I was the night time head trainer at the time and started prepping for the Master's O.  He had a gym at one point in which he sold discounted paid in full memberships right up until the night before the bank and landlord locked his front doors.  He took quite a few folks money and is real lucky he didn't get his ass beat.  Another friend worked the front desk at Greg's gym and went weeks without getting paid.  He got wind of what was about to happen and had "blue light" special on anything that he could carry out of the joint.

His training was kind of sloppy as far as technique and form goes.  He did look like Rocky a little in person.  More so in his younger days from certain angles.  Later he reminded more of a juiced up Mel the cook from the 70's sitcom Alice.  He had a side-kick that trained with him that was really a nice, but really lost guy.  He had zero genetics and his training was even worse than Greg's, plus he was already old and still hadn't competed in anything yet.  Greg milked him for all kinds of drugs and keep promising him that after he won the Master's O. that he would get him all set up with Uncle Joe Weider.  Well, that never happened and the guy was heart broken and just gave the hell up and we never saw him again.

My workout partner at the time and I went to the 94 Mr. O and Master's O.  We had a great time but wandered what happened to Greg as we also attended the pre-judging?  They never really said, but they did let him guest pose that night.  He didn't look very good at all.  Especially with the likes of Robby and Lou.  Well, a week later back at the Golds Gym in Cherry Hill, NJ things got really strange.  Greg was telling everyone that he placed 3rd right behind big Lou.  Me and my buddy couldn't stop laughing.  What an ass.

My friend then bought the gym and had to throw the loser out as he was violating a restraining order from his soon to be ex-wife, which was a state trooper.  I remember showing him the door........

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »
yeah, another BBer with heart disease... tell me another story about steroids having no long term effects... left ventrical damage = young heart attacks

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
You oowe THE BEEF a $100 you fat slob.

THE BEEF

Hey you owe me $200.  Take it out of that
No Worries 4 me