Author Topic: DOGS IN HOT CARS  (Read 3048 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
DOGS IN HOT CARS
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:26:26 AM »
Many people take their dogs w/them to run errands etc.  But leaving a dog in a car when the weather is warm/hot can seriously hurt/sicken and/or kill the dog!  What a horrible way to go.   :'(  

I recently had an "interaction" w/2 dog owners the other day who left their dog in the car w/the windows barely cracked in 86 degree heat and the car was in direct sun.

I found this chart and these printable fliers that you may consider leaving on a car if you see a dog in there on a warm/hot day and are not the "interacting" type.  Also if you are, you can HAND them the information during your calm "interaction."

(If anyone has better fliers or charts please post (the chart here is for SHADED cars....I would like a FULL SUN chart too if someone has one please).

The chart:
http://www.mydogiscool.com/x_car_study.php

The printable fliers:
http://www.mydogiscool.com/downloads/MDIC_flier-bw.pdf

Here is the home page:
http://www.mydogiscool.com/index.php

There is all kinds of good info on this site!

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: DOGS IN HOT CARS
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:39:25 AM »
More from that site regarding Heat Stroke:

http://www.mydogiscool.com/b_action.php

Signs of Heat Stroke

Signs of heat stroke are intense, rapid panting, wide eyes, salivating, staggering and weakness. Advanced heat stroke victims will collapse and become unconscious. The gums will appear pale and dry. If heat stroke is suspected and you can take the animal's temperature rectally, any temperature above 106 degrees is dangerous. The longer the temperature remains at or above 106 degrees the more serious the situation. If you return to your car or the area in which the animal was confined and find your pet seems to be highly agitated, wide-eyed and panting uncontrollably ... start for the nearest animal hospital right away with the air conditioning at full blast. Otherwise get the dog to a cool area and begin the treatment for heat stroke.

Treatment for Heat Stroke

Take the pet's temperature rectally if possible. A body temperature of about 105 degrees or higher is probable evidence for heat stroke. Place your pet in a tub of cool running water or spray with a hose being sure the cool water contacts the skin and doesn't simply run off the coat. Thoroughly wet the belly and inside the legs. Run the cool water over the tongue and mouth. Take a rectal temperature if possible to know when to stop cooling. A safe temperature is about 103 degrees. A small dog will cool down much faster than a large dog. Once the temperature gets to 103 or 104 degrees do not cool the pet any further because the cooling effects will continue to bring the temperature down even further. Seek veterinary attention as soon as possible.

If you are near an animal hospital, go there right away. At the animal hospital they may administer oxygen, cortisone and dextrose to help protect the traumatized cells. The staff can provide proper cooling measures and monitor the dog's temperature, heart rate and provide oxygen which some evidence indicates may help protect stressed body cells. Providing intravenous fluids and anticoagulants may be utilized as well.

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:41:24 AM »
Flower, does the treatment for Heat STroke sound right to you  ???
R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
 :-\  :'( shouldnt leave living things in hot cars

I thought this thread was going to be pics of Dogs in nice cars  :-[

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »
:-\  :'( shouldnt leave living things in hot cars

I thought this thread was going to be pics of Dogs in nice cars  :-[

Sorry tony!

And flower said the cool down treatment was good...just don't keep cooling the dog after it is already cooled down as it will cool further once it is out of harms way
R

TonyAlva

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:42 PM »
:-\  :'( shouldnt leave living things in hot cars

I thought this thread was going to be pics of Dogs in nice cars  :-[

lol me too, I was expecting to see a pittie in a lambo, something like that

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:59:46 AM »
ahhaha he looks happy

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »
personally i would take a tire iron to the window of there car.  then i would go into the store and have the clerk announce over the PA sytem that someone just saved their animal and is sorry that the window had to be broken.  I hate people. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »
personally i would take a tire iron to the window of there car.  then i would go into the store and have the clerk announce over the PA sytem that someone just saved their animal and is sorry that the window had to be broken.  I hate people. 
i did something like that before......i went into a restaurant and ate, and on my way in noticed a dog locked inside of a f250......2 hours later i came out, and the dog was still there......i took the receiver hitch off the trucks tow bar, and threw it through the drivers window.....went into the restaurant, found the owner, and had a heart to heart......i kept the dog too, gave it to my sister...

bench

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
i don't understand how people can do that crap

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:27:14 PM »