Author Topic: Divorce: Larry King & Shawn King  (Read 8239 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Divorce: Larry King & Shawn King
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:26 AM »
CNN host Larry King, 7th wife file for divorce
(04-14) 18:27 PDT LOS ANGELES, (AP) --

Larry King filed for divorce on Wednesday shortly before his seventh wife also sought to end the couple's nearly 13-year-old marriage. The 76-year-old host of CNN's "Larry King Live" filed hours before Shawn King filed her own petition. Both cited "irreconcilable differences."

The couple were married in a hospital room in 1997 three days before Larry King underwent surgery to clear a clogged blood vessel. They have two sons, ages 11 and 9. The petitions differ in that Larry King is seeking joint custody, while his 50-year-old wife wants physical custody.

Larry King is also asking a judge not to award his wife any spousal support and to invalidate an agreement in which he transferred property to her, court records show.

Shawn King's petition seeks spousal support from her husband, along with ownership of the couple's home in Beverly Hills, Calif., and two properties in Utah.

"His major concern is the welfare of his children," said Howard Rubenstein, a spokesman for Larry King, adding that the talk-show host would not comment further on the divorce.

King's nightly news and interview show has been a CNN mainstay for nearly 25 years. He has three children from previous relationships.

The couple started house-hunting in California shortly after their marriage and lived in Beverly Hills. He is a Los Angeles Dodgers season ticket-holder and announced the start of the team's home opener to fans Tuesday.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Divorce: Larry King & Shawn King
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:19:21 AM »
Does anyone in his right mind think this marriage was built on love?  Hell, I’d probably marry Larry too--three days before he had surgery for a clogged blood vessel!  We know what she was thinking, but what the hell was he thinking?  Now, at 76 he is seeking joint custody.  How much attention can he give those children?  How much longer will he be around for them?  

Seventh wife?  SEVENTH?!?!?  Sigh.  And they say gays and lesbians are trivializing marriage. ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
Seventh wife?  SEVENTH?!?!?  Sigh.  And they say gays and lesbians are trivializing marriage. ::)

So this is the reason why you post so much about divorce.   :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:23:24 AM »
Does anyone in his right mind think this marriage was built on love?  Hell, I’d probably marry Larry too--three days before he had surgery for a clogged blood vessel!  We know what she was thinking, but what the hell was he thinking?  Now, at 76 he is seeking joint custody.  How much attention can he give those children?  How much longer will he be around for them?  

LOL when you start fighting for equality for me maybe Ill start fighting for equality for you  ;)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:28:39 AM »
Tom Shales on TV: Is Larry King's CNN reign nearing its end?
By Tom Shales

"Respected U.S. newsman Larry King has filed for divorce from his country-singer wife, Shawn Southwick," the wire service story says dryly. It seems simple enough until you stop to wonder: Is "respected U.S. newsman Larry King" any relation to that guy who has a weeknight talk show on CNN?

That Larry King is known for eyeglasses with thick lenses and large frames; his alarmingly concave posture; his goofy suspenders and insistence on appearing without a suit coat; his gravely gravelly voice; the fact that he gets a haircut every day, or so Larry lore has it; and, of course, his second career as a kind of professional husband -- an apparently incurable romantic who's had one more wife than Henry VIII and is currently in the process of separating awkwardly from No. 7, Shawn Southwick.

King married the much-younger Southwick, according to published accounts, "in a hospital room in 1997 shortly before surgery to clear a clogged blood vessel." There's our Larry in a capsule -- spirit willing, flesh being patched up and sort of digitally remastered, like an old classic movie.

Larry is a romantic; like Elizabeth Taylor, he doesn't have affairs with the objects of his affection, he marries 'em. It's kind of sweet in its way, really, and a nod to traditional morality -- although one departure from morality in this latest marriage is that Southwick charged Larry with romancing her younger sister, Shannon.

That old heart of Larry's is 76, like the rest of him, and anyone who has watched American television for more than 12 minutes at a sitting lately knows that Larry's age, as well as his playboy antics, are keeping our stand-up comics busy. Though hardly a comedian, Reba McEntire began the Academy of Country Music Awards on Sunday night with the kind of joke currently inescapable on the air: "Our show is going green this year," she said. "All our scripts are made from recycled Larry King divorce papers."

David Letterman can barely get through a monologue anymore without a Larry King age joke. "Saturday Night Live" often spoofs King and his persona, with cast member Fred Armisen playing the talk-show host: "Hello, I'm Larry King, and I am 90 percent shoulders," he said in a recent sketch. An update on the Iceland volcano concluded with, "An ancient pile of ash has been set adrift. But enough about my divorce."

The sad subtext is that the jokes reinforce the idea that Larry is over-the-hill or bordering on senility, when there's little if any evidence of that in his nightly performance... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/19/AR2010041904537.html?hpid=artslot&sid=ST2010041904834

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »
I saw something on TV that his wife is accusing Larry of sleeping w/her sister.
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »
I saw something on TV that his wife is accusing Larry of sleeping w/her sister.

I heard some reporter say this as well, but did you actually hear it uttered by his wife?  I haven't.  That is the kind of rumor and gossip reporters love to peddle because it sounds sensational, but unless I hear it from Larry, his wife, or her sister I decline to believe it. Did he have an affair?  Possibly.  With whom?  We do not yet know.

There were some differing accounts about how many times he has been married, 7 or 8?  He divorced and remarried one of his previous wives and that explains the confusion.   IMDB lists his spouse history as:

Shawn Southwick    (5 September 1997 - present) (filed for divorce) 2 children
Julie Alexander    (7 October 1989 - 1992) (divorced)
Sharon Lepore    (25 September 1976 - 1984) (divorced)
Alene Akins    (1967 - 1972) (re-married) (divorced); 1 daughter
Alene Akins    (19 April 1963 - 6 December 1966) (divorced) 1 child
Mickey Sutphin    (1963 - 1963) (divorced)
Freda Miller    (1952 - ?) (annulled)
Annette Kaye    (? - 1962) (divorced) 1 child

Watch out Liz Taylor!  ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »

It's not like gays and lesbians don't divorce too.    :)

Divorce dilemma: Texas says gays can't get divorce

DALLAS – After the joy of a wedding and the adoption of a baby came arguments that couldn't be resolved, leading Angelique Naylor to file for divorce. That left her fighting both the woman she married in Massachusetts and the state of Texas, which says a union granted in a state where same-sex marriage is legal can't be dissolved with a divorce in a state where it's not.

A judge in Austin granted the divorce, but Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott is appealing the decision. He also is appealing a divorce granted to a gay couple in Dallas, saying protecting the "traditional definition of marriage" means doing the same for divorce.

A state appeals court is scheduled to hear arguments in the Dallas case on Wednesday.

The Dallas men, who declined to be interviewed for this story and are known only as J.B. and H.B. in court filings, had an amicable separation, with no disputes on separation of property and no children involved, said attorney Peter Schulte, who represents J.B. The couple, who married in 2006 in Massachusetts and separated two years later, simply want an official divorce, Schulte said.

The drawn-out process has been frustrating for Naylor, who says she didn't file for divorce as an equal rights statement — she just wants to get on with her life.

"We didn't ask for a marriage; we simply asked for the courtesy of divorce," said Naylor, 39, of Austin, who married Sabina Daly in Massachusetts in 2004.

That year, Massachusetts became the first state to let same-sex couples tie the knot. Now, Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, Vermont and the District of Columbia also allow them.

Gay and lesbian couples who turn to the courts when they break up are getting mixed results across the nation. A Pennsylvania judge last month refused to divorce two women who married in Massachusetts, while New York grants such divorces even though the state doesn't allow same-sex marriage.

"The bottom line is that same-sex couples have families and their families have the same needs and problems, but often don't have the same rights," said Jennifer Pizer, a lawyer for Lambda Legal, a national legal organization that promotes equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

"It really is an unenviable position that the courts have put these couples in," said Karen Loewy, an attorney at the Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders.

Abbott, a Republican seeking re-election, declined to be interviewed for this story. He has argued in court filings that because the state doesn't recognize gay marriage there can be no divorce, but a gay or lesbian Texas couple may have a marriage voided. Attorneys representing such couples argue that voiding a marriage here could leave it intact in other states, creating problems for property divisions and other issues.

"OK, you're recommending voidance, but how does that work?" asked Jennifer Cochran, Naylor's attorney. "Is it only void in Texas and can you void a marriage that's valid in another state? The attorney general I feel didn't answer those questions."

In 2005, Texas voters passed a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage by a 3-to-1 margin even though state law already prohibited it. Abbott has said he is appealing the Dallas divorce ruling for two men to "defend the traditional definition of marriage that was approved by Texas voters."

Abbott disagrees with the judge in that case, who ruled in October that the same-sex marriage ban violates equal rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Kelly Shackelford, chief counsel for the conservative Liberty Institute in Plano, called that decision "outrageous judicial activism." The institute has filed a friend of the court brief to the appeals court on behalf of the two Republican state lawmakers who co-sponsored the amendment banning gay marriage: state Rep. Warren Chisum and former state Sen. Todd Staples.

"It's a backdoor run at establishing same-sex so-called marriage against the people's vote," Shackelford said. "Once you grant the divorce, you are recognizing that there was a marriage."

Dallas divorce attorney Tom Greenwald said he's advising gay couples to wait and see how things play out in the courts.

"Getting the court of appeals to even accept the issue is a step in the right direction in getting some clarity on this," he said. "We just don't know how to treat it."

As for Naylor and Daly — the latter declined to comment — they've been trying to figure out what to do since separating in 2007 amid escalating arguments.

The couple, who had real estate-related businesses and renovated homes, toyed with the idea of one of them moving to a state where gay marriage is legal until a divorce is finalized, but that didn't seem practical.

Naylor said that eventually, she and Daly worked out a custody arrangement for their now 4 1/2-year-old son. Naylor said that when she heard about the Dallas divorce, she thought it was worth a try and filed for her own, even though several attorneys she spoke with weren't so sure.

"They said it's too up in the air, wait and see for appeals," Naylor said. "I didn't have a lot of time to wait and see."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100420/ap_on_re_us/us_gay_divorce_texas

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Baseball coach: 'I had an affair with Larry King's wife'
BJJ / WENN.com

A baseball coach who mentored Larry King's kids has revealed he's the reason for the newsman's marriage troubles - because he briefly romanced the TV personality's wife.

In a taped interview with news show Entertainment Tonight, which will air on Wednesday, Hector Penate reveals what started with a stolen kiss in a car became a full-blown affair.

And he insists King's wife Shawn Southwick talked to him about divorcing the CNN anchorman "all the time."

He adds, "(She said) Don't worry he's gonna die soon."

King and Southwick both filed divorce papers last week and they are currently in counseling trying to save their marriage.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »
i have never been divorced....nor married...

bench

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
Damn I thought Larry was up to 8 divorces he is not the man I thought he was

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
i have never been divorced....nor married...

bench

but i bet you are rich or well off.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:28:33 PM »
but i bet you are rich or well off.
i have been running away from marriage my whole life.....until i recently, accidentally got engaged...

bench

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:49 PM »
i have been running away from marriage my whole life.....until i recently, accidentally got engaged...

bench
That shit will sneak up on you if you dont watch it then you are toast.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
That shit will sneak up on you if you dont watch it then you are toast.
i dont really know how to explain it.....we were not dating, i didnt get her pregnant...it just happened........i am back off to my birthday party....talk to you douchbags in the morning...

bench

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
i dont really know how to explain it.....we were not dating, i didnt get her pregnant...it just happened........i am back off to my birthday party....talk to you douchbags in the morning...

bench
happy birthday bro

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
happy birthday bro
thasnks brokowski

bench

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »
lol @ accidentally got engaged.

welcome to the club of 'totally screwed', my friend :)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:17 AM »

bench's nightmare is just beginning.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

bench

Sorry about that.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »

it wont be so bad...

bench

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 04:28:44 PM »
it wont be so bad...

bench

Marriage can be wonderful and it can be horrible.  

Courtney sounds like a cool girl and a great friend.  You guys can have a lifetime of fun together if both work at it.

OK, old married lady advice over  :P

Oh one more thing..get this book
R

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
Marriage can be wonderful and it can be horrible.  

Courtney sounds like a cool girl and a great friend.  You guys can have a lifetime of fun together if both work at it.

OK, old married lady advice over  :P

Oh one more thing..get this book

i would never read a book that looked like that...

bench

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
i would never read a book that looked like that...

bench

Tear off the cover then :P
R

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
Tear off the cover then :P
its ok...i'll just wing it...

bench