Author Topic: What is wrong with privatizing space exploration?  (Read 3596 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
What is wrong with privatizing space exploration?
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:09:45 AM »
NASA has many programs years behind schedule and billions over budget.

With our economy so close to falling, what is wrong with Obama saying "let the private sector continue space exploration" and scrapping the very inefficient govt run NASA?

Yes, a few thousand people lose their job - but isn't part of "less spending, smaller govt" being able to slash bloated programs like this?  If Obama had just DOUBLED the size of NASA, people would be screaming that he's just blowing $ to watch plants grow in space and private industry can do it way cheaper.  Since he's slashing it, people are yelling too.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: What is wrong with privatizing space exploration?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:28:59 AM »
There's nothing wrong except that we need to be able to get our shit into low earth orbit and we need to ensure our defense capabilities don't suffer. Right now we have to ride Russian junk up to the space station. The next orbiter needs to be designed and preped.
L

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:29:32 AM »
I actually applaud Obama with this.  Richard Branson is already leading the way with private space exploration.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
I actually applaud Obama with this.  Richard Branson is already leading the way with private space exploration.

HUH,
There are lots of private companies already putting satellites in space.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Launch_Alliance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Sciences

Branson's plane will not even enter orbit.

Z

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »
HUH,
There are lots of private companies already putting satellites in space.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Launch_Alliance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Sciences

Branson's plane will not even enter orbit.

You're talking about satellites...I'm talking about space tourism.  I thought that is where this thread was going to head; I apologize for not clarifying.  He isn't working on a satellite that I know of, but has mentioned that a manned vehicle in orbit is his main goal. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
You're talking about satellites...I'm talking about space tourism.  I thought that is where this thread was going to head; I apologize for not clarifying.  He isn't working on a satellite that I know of, but has mentioned that a manned vehicle in orbit is his main goal. 

I have no problem at opeing space for commercial endeavors. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 01:43:54 PM »
I'm a huge fan of NASA and think our country should continue to lead the human race in space exploration
I also think it's quite likely that there is some kind of secret space program that we know nothing about.
Space is the ultimate "high ground" and I think there is no way we're going to let any other nation get ahead of us in that regard.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
I'm a huge fan of NASA and think our country should continue to lead the human race in space exploration
I also think it's quite likely that there is some kind of secret space program that we know nothing about.
Space is the ultimate "high ground" and I think there is no way we're going to let any other nation get ahead of us in that regard.

Where the hell do you think Waxman came from? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »
Where the hell do you think Waxman came from? 

another meaningless post but I'll give you credit for somehow forgetting to mention that Obama is a communist and intentionally destroying our country

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
another meaningless post but I'll give you credit for somehow forgetting to mention that Obama is a communist and intentionally destroying our country

Oh come on that pic is hysterical. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 01:56:40 PM »
"Hysterical" seems to be your little buzz word for this week.  You have over used a dozen times per day.

Like the palin pics and your pie charts, you need new material.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:00:22 PM »
"Hysterical" seems to be your little buzz word for this week.  You have over used a dozen times per day.

Like the palin pics and your pie charts, you need new material.

Like this one? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »
Oh come on that pic is hysterical. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »
Similar

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Damn Hugo, nice job picking that out.  Creepy resemblence.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »

With our economy so close to falling, what is wrong with Obama saying "let the private sector continue space exploration" and scrapping the very inefficient govt run NASA?

Yes, a few thousand people lose their job - but isn't part of "less spending, smaller govt" being able to slash bloated programs like this?  If Obama had just DOUBLED the size of NASA, people would be screaming that he's just blowing $ to watch plants grow in space and private industry can do it way cheaper.  Since he's slashing it, people are yelling too.

I think it's a great idea with one big exception.  I don't support these companies being able to patent shit in space.  For example, if they come across some unknown phenomena or mapping areas of space, or the information gathered studying Mars, etc.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 05:07:06 PM »
Skip,

we all know our govt would allow them to claim a patent and get rich, then they'd either steal the idea or just pay the company for its use.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »

There's nothing wrong with it.
Filthy rich people watch Briane Greene or Michio Kaku talk about string theory on the history channel and get all giddy about science just like poor people.  I'm sure there's more than a few theoretical physicists and astrophysicists that would love to drop their University gigs to get a privately funded research position for a privately owned company. 
People are scared of science....I don't know why, but they are. 
People are still freaking out about LHC, despite the fact that cosmic rays hit the earth with way more energy than the LHC will produce every single day...and have been hitting the earth every day since long before we were here. 

Hell, they had to rename NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) imaging to just MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) because no one would get an MRI when they heard the word "nuclear" in its name. 
As soon as "nuclear" is dropped, everyone is ready to climb on in and get their images. 

People are scared of what they don't know.  Add that fact to the incredible lack of required science education in America and you get what we have. 
If you tell someone from Europe that Physics isn't required in all American high schools, they won't believe you. 
There are grown adults all over the country that think a heavier person falls faster than a lighter person.....They'll even argue with you about it if you tell them that gravity affects all objects with the same acceleration. 

If the private sector was allowed to continue space exploration.....idiots across the country would be up in arms about it.  They wouldn't have any fucking idea why they're against it....but they would insist that it was bad. 
Eventually some quack would start a webpage with a bunch of gibberish (similar to 2012, reptilian crap, and fake moonlanding sites) that claims the world will end if we privatize space exploration.....and every idiot with a computer will believe every word the quack says. 
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 09:22:17 AM »
Personally, I love the idea of letting the private sector get in on this. 

It will result in more jobs, investment, innovation, tech, etc. 

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »
There used to be a wealthy guy in San Francisco that got interested in physics for some reason.  He'd set up conferences at his mansion, and pay top Physicists like Leonard Susskind, Stephen Hawking, Roger Penrose, etc to come and give talks on their research.  

I'm sure that guy would have loved to set up an astrophysics research group.  Being privately funded.....I have little doubt that the group would develop less costly space shuttles....that were also better than what NASA has.  They'd probably also do it much quicker without all the red tape and bureaucracy garbage NASA has to deal with.  
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »
There used to be a wealthy guy in San Francisco that got interested in physics for some reason.  He'd set up conferences at his mansion, and pay top Physicists like Leonard Susskind, Stephen Hawking, Roger Penrose, etc to come and give talks on their research.  

I'm sure that guy would have loved to set up an astrophysics research group.  Being privately funded.....I have little doubt that the group would develop less costly space shuttles....that were also better than what NASA has.  They'd probably also do it much quicker without all the red tape and bureaucracy garbage NASA has to deal with.  

This would lead to massive new jobs, exploration, innovation, etc. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
Skip,

we all know our govt would allow them to claim a patent and get rich, then they'd either steal the idea or just pay the company for its use.

That's what I'm cynical about.  Without guarantees that the information learned would be open (within reason), then there's no way I'd support private companies doing this.  If we get the guarantees, I'm all for it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »

That's what I'm cynical about.  Without guarantees that the information learned would be open (within reason), then there's no way I'd support private companies doing this.  If we get the guarantees, I'm all for it.

Don't worry Skip - I'm sure any agreement will be abided by!  

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
Don't worry Skip - I'm sure any agreement will be abided by! 

And that's one of the risk factors we have to weigh when deciding on privatizing the space program.