Author Topic: Sonnen(R) Doubts Silva Will Fight Him  (Read 2041 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Sonnen(R) Doubts Silva Will Fight Him
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:15:27 PM »
Chael Sonnen Doubts Anderson Silva is Willing To Fight Him At UFC 117

Chael Sonnen is optimistic he'll get to fight middleweight champion Anderson Silva. But he also says he's a bit worried that it won't happen.

"I don't know if Anderson's going to accept," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmmajunkie.com).

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday told Jim Rome that Silva and Sonnen will face off in what would be the champions's seventh consecutive title defense. But there's a twist: after another lackluster fight against Demian Maia this past Saturday, Silva (26-4 MMA, 11-0 UFC) must deliver excitement or risk being cut from the organization.

Sonnen (24-10 MMA, 4-3 UFC) is happy to bait the champ – again – if it gets him the fight.

"The best I've seen, [Silva is] a man of his word," Sonnen said of the proposed matchup. "If I hear that he agreed, I'll feel a lot better."

The middleweight champion is clearly on the ropes after the Maia fight, which served as the main event of UFC 112. Silva spent the first two rounds dancing around the cage and the last three in a near-constant backward shuffle.

In now trademark fashion, Sonnen said it's nothing new for Silva.

"[Silva is] really good, he's really effective, and he's as unpleasing to watch as grass growing," Sonnen said. "That's why they called me to get rid of this cancer of the company."

Silva's camp declined to comment on the fight's possibility when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com.

Sonnen claims he's called out the middleweight champion for four years to no avail.

"Nobody has challenged Anderson Silva," Sonnen said. "Not one human being, not one interview. Go to what the kids call 'Google,' and prove me wrong. Show me one athlete in any weight class that's challenged this guy except me."

The West Linn, Ore., resident won a middleweight contender spot in February with a win over Nate Marquardt at UFC 109. He really perked up ears, though, when he went after Silva in the press and polarized fans with his no-nonsense talk.

"He won't even acknowledge the challenge," Sonnen said of the champion, who also holds a UFC record for most octagon wins with 11. "He just overlooks it like it's not happening. The first and only time he's ever acknowledged the challenge is on Feb. 7, 12 hours after I became the number one contender, he put out a press release stating seven different reasons he didn't think he should have to fight me."

White told Rome that Sonnen's wrestling-based style is the perfect antidote to the lackluster performances that ensue when Silva is paired with jiu-jitsu stylists.

Sonnen said it's more than that.

"What's different about me is that I acknowledge Anderson Silva's going to hit me and kick me," he said. "I acknowledge it's going to hurt a lot. But I don't care. I don't care if he hurts me. I'll go to the hospital later that night. But in that 25-minute period, he's going to be in a fight."

He said Silva's dance is just a ploy to get opponents to engage, and a ploy he's happy to follow.

"If he does it to me, it's going to work," Sonnen said. "It's going to make me angry, and I'm going to come after him. If he wants to throw those punches, by God throw them. But I'm going to walk straight through them."

A year ago, Sonnen was struggling to gain traction in the UFC after a unsuccessful run in the promotion between 2005 and 2006, but that position has changed with his recent performances.

If the fight materializes, Sonnen will work with his usual training partners at Team Quest as well as Xtreme Couture grappling coach Neil Melanson, who helped him prepare for Marquardt at UFC 109.

"He's one of those guys, you meet them very rarely but when you meet them, you hold onto them like a precious metal," Sonnen said. "He offered to help me. I don't have a lot of friends in this sport – he's one of them."

Meanwhile, Sonnen continues to campaign for the Oregon House of Representatives and is currently in a fundraising cycle. He remains no-nonsense about the biggest opportunity of his career.

"I guarantee you between now and Aug. 7, I'll get hurt," Sonnen said. "I'll get sick. I'm sure I'll get a staph infection that seems to be the new wave throughout MMA – oh, I have a staph infection, wah. When my music hits those speakers on Aug. 7, I will make that walk.

"That's a tremendous difference between me and the prima donnas who like to see their names on posters but are not real fighters."
!

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: Sonnen(R) Doubts Silva Will Fight Him
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »
Sonnen is correct...He has been calling out Silva for a while now. I do think he will get demolished by Silva, but at least he will try to put on a good fight.

Hard to dislike the guy really.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »
Unfortunatly I just don't see Chael taking him out...I do however see Vitor ending Silva's reign in the fall when he is healthy

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »
Incorrect. Sonnen should try google. Anawatazi has been trying to fight Silva for the last few years. Even said with an interview with Bas Rutten on HD net he'd do it for no purse whatsoever or even give Anderson his side of the purse as incentive to fight him.

Mark Santos of "Fade To Black" said he had left numerous messages for Dana White about a fight.

Anawatazi wants him in a bad way from what Mark said......

Sonnen is second and has no chance IMHO.

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »
Who is Anawatazi?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
the fact that sonnen is next in line speaks volumes to the depth(or lack of I should say)...in this division in the UFC...
DAWG

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »
Who is Anawatazi?

Exactly why he is willing to fight Silva for free!

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
the fact that sonnen is next in line speaks volumes to the depth(or lack of I should say)...in this division in the UFC...

Belfort is injured and Silva has run through just about everyone else, inlcuding Hendo when he was with the UFC.

A better way of putting it is Silva has run through the 'who's who' of MMA MW's.

The division is decent...who has better? Or who would be a better fight then Chael or Belfort?

Not trying to argue....just curious? :)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »
Belfort is injured and Silva has run through just about everyone else, inlcuding Hendo when he was with the UFC.

A better way of putting it is Silva has run through the 'who's who' of MMA MW's.

The division is decent...who has better? Or who would be a better fight then Chael or Belfort?

Not trying to argue....just curious? :)

well first I wont believe the Belfort fight will happen until I see it...

and second I can think of numerous fighters that have a better chance of beating Silva than Maia or channel did or does...Nick Diaz,Robbie lawler,Matt lindland,cung Le,Melvin manhoef,all have a better chance than sonnen does beating Siva....
DAWG

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:55:55 PM »
Exactly why he is willing to fight Silva for free!

Lets see how good my history is......

Anawatazi was the Black List Fighting Champion (Chinese Mafia owned organization) from 1990-2003. Retired from competition I believe in early 2004 when the Black List closed down and if I remember correctly his wife was dying of cancer and he had to work for medical insurance for her. I remember hearing about that from Rorion.

Had a ridiculous run in those 13 years where no one beat him. He was one of the ones who publicly scoffed Frank Dux saying there was no Kumite in Jamaica. It never happened. He said the tournament was actually called the Kyiendashoto if I remember correctly and it was always held in China not Jamaica or Honk Kong, like in the movie.

He is a long time friend of Rickson Gracie and I believe that is the sole reason for him not entering the UFC in its early years. He tried entering Pride but had some issues with Pride management based on his affiliation to the Chinese. He is American and is around 38-40 I believe. Trains and teaches at Fade To Black in Northern California. FTB is a private club owned by Mark Santos. Last time I checked I think he has an 7th or 8th degree BJJ BB and started training BJJ and Muay Thai at the age of 4-7 or around there.

Fought and beat Anderson Silva in The El Diablo Tournament years ago right before retiring. The El Diablo was a small Invitation International Vale Tudo Tournament that wasn't around very long. Maybe 5-6 years? Someone else might be able to chime in about that.

Has sometimes been called The Hangman and doesn't appear to be very public. No wild claims or challenges just one of those fighters few ever heard about that kind of just slipped into obscurity. Although he is VERY adamant about fighting Anderson from what I hear and has been trying to fight him after a comment was made by Anderson about him. Don't know what it was but Bas Rutten said he talked to him and he would fight him for free in the 205 lb class.

I am sure there is more but he is a very private person. Not much on the internet about him and a few years ago there was alot more and then cant find any of the old pics or articles prior to 2007. Kinda weird. He goes to very few UFC's, I know, because I like to go to all of them, lol
I Saw him talking to Chuck Liddell a couple of UFC's ago in the crowd. Dont know much about his personal life other than at heavyweight many people said his conditioning was that of a lightweight. Scary looking dude. Doesn't smile very much.

I'd pray for that fight. I think Anderson would be lost fighting him. Just my opinion and you know how those are. Like assholes, everyone has one.....

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
Unfortunatly I just don't see Chael taking him out...I do however see Vitor ending Silva's reign in the fall when he is healthy
i would love to see that....vitor is my favorite fighter in the UFC.......i think he can still do it...

bench

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 04:28:27 AM »
Everyone's just pissed at Silva right now and and wants him to lose. But make no mistake, Sonnen and Belfort will both get demolished.

pugalist666

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »
i would love to see that....vitor is my favorite fighter in the UFC.......i think he can still do it...

bench

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 04:04:24 PM »

best flurry in MMA history right there...
DAWG

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »

watch his feet during that clip...

bench