Author Topic: Stud or Dud, BMW 's Mercedes CLS Competitor...  (Read 4827 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Stud or Dud, BMW 's Mercedes CLS Competitor...
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
Here is BMW's Mercedes CLS competitor. It's called the Gran Coupe, and it was just unveiled at the Beijing Auto Show...Getbig millionaires, roll call!
http://www.autospies.com/news/STUD-or-DUD-Is-BMW-s-CLS-Fighter-The-Real-Deal-53670/

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: Stud or Dud, BMW 's Mercedes CLS Competitor...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:33:55 AM »
I'm a merc fan and I like it on first take. which is pretty amazing. but wtf is bmw doing to their nomenclature? i like the 3 5 6 7 names instead of the gran whatever.

later

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/beijing-2010-bmw-concept-grand-coupe/

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:36:26 AM »
I'm a merc fan and I like on first take. which is pretty amazing. but wtf is bmw to their nomenclature? i like the 3 5 6 7 names instead of the gran whatever.

later

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/beijing-2010-bmw-concept-grand-coupe/
Well BMW is the purveyor of niches, and the Gran Coupe is either  based on the  5 series or the 7 series. Like the Audi A7 is in between the A6 and A8..Would like to see what engine is in the BMW.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
I like it.  How does it compare the regular 5 in terms of interior space?
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
What's not to like?  8)

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
a beamer is a beamer..will always be second class to a benz
JM

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
Here is BMW's Mercedes CLS competitor. It's called the Gran Coupe, and it was just unveiled at the Beijing Auto Show...Getbig millionaires, roll call!
http://www.autospies.com/news/STUD-or-DUD-Is-BMW-s-CLS-Fighter-The-Real-Deal-53670/

It's a STUD !! I like it.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
I like it.  How does it compare the regular 5 in terms of interior space?
Probably cramped and seats 4, my guess. The rear passenger head space gets sacrificed because of the "coupe" shape C pillar.

Money Man

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »
I had a Mercedes 2004 S500, nice car, but really nothing great for $86,000.
You look like big money in that car and feel like a big shot in it, but really it is a
waste of money.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
I had a Mercedes 2004 S500, nice car, but really nothing great for $86,000.
You look like big money in that car and feel like a big shot in it, but really it is a
waste of money.
The current S63/65 AMGs are Dah Shit!!!! They have the right look, and presence.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 02:44:50 AM »
Would be nice if they made a M version of this...it's been said that this might be the new 8 series...Can you say M8?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 06:54:28 AM »
a beamer is a beamer..will always be second class to a benz

Maybe in certain aspects, but very few Mercedes that I would take over a BMW. I'm biased, sure. But something about the reputation of a Mercedes breaking down, and having little to no maintenance plans, so you're constantly paying up the ass. I've known several dozen people that say this, and have experienced it too.

I like both cars, but when I weigh out all the pros & cons of both, I'll take a BMW.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 07:41:05 AM »
Maybe in certain aspects, but very few Mercedes that I would take over a BMW. I'm biased, sure. But something about the reputation of a Mercedes breaking down, and having little to no maintenance plans, so you're constantly paying up the ass. I've known several dozen people that say this, and have experienced it too.

I like both cars, but when I weigh out all the pros & cons of both, I'll take a BMW.

x2

With money/cost being taken out the equation, I would always choose a BMW over a Merc.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 07:51:05 AM »
I owned a 745i...the single worst car I have ever owned.  Tons of electronics problems (tow kind of funny problems--one was the rear head rests, was driving and they just started going up and down like they were possessed; second was rear trunk lid just popped open at random times), the iDrive system was awful (cumbersome and counter intuitive), had a total engine failure.  So, I will never buy another BMW again.  I'll stick with my CLS...

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
The current S63/65 AMGs are Dah Shit!!!! They have the right look, and presence.

this.
b

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 09:06:42 AM »
I owned a 745i...the single worst car I have ever owned.  Tons of electronics problems (tow kind of funny problems--one was the rear head rests, was driving and they just started going up and down like they were possessed; second was rear trunk lid just popped open at random times), the iDrive system was awful (cumbersome and counter intuitive), had a total engine failure.  So, I will never buy another BMW again.  I'll stick with my CLS...

I know what you're talking about. My friend owns a 745, 2003. He's had his fair share of issues with the car, far more than I've ever had with my 2001 540. But all the problems were fixed by BMW FREE of charge, including the rental cars he was given each time.

His 745 is a good car, a better choice than many on the market, but the early I-drive cars had issues, and overall I don't care for the I-drive, but admittedly my only experience is with my friends '03 745.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
i'd rather buy me one of these..you have to have ridden one to understand

carpe` vaginum!

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »
I know what you're talking about. My friend owns a 745, 2003. He's had his fair share of issues with the car, far more than I've ever had with my 2001 540. But all the problems were fixed by BMW FREE of charge, including the rental cars he was given each time.

His 745 is a good car, a better choice than many on the market, but the early I-drive cars had issues, and overall I don't care for the I-drive, but admittedly my only experience is with my friends '03 745.

Yeah, BMW did pay for all the repairs, but it was a real hassel.  The first year I had the car it was in the dealership at least once or twice a month.  When I had enuf, the dealer wouldn't take it back.  And I did get a loaner car but usually it was a 3 series.  So, I paid for a 7 but had to drive a 3?????

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »
BMW and Merc were BOTH having quality issues, especially wit the top models. Both companies were trying be the first in he market with diff technologies. Like the idrive (I distract, I crash). They put electronics without really testing or fixing the bugs, but let the consumers be the guinea pigs. There was boatload of electronic issues with the 745i, especially the 1st 2-3 yrs. And Merc had such dismal quality issues that they said it would fixed by 2006, coincidently it was the CLS that led the way...the E, S and The ML Classes, with the ML being the worse, were the ones with issues. I mean there was a big press conference about it, and Merc did a complete 180....

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
BMW and Merc were BOTH having quality issues, especially wit the top models. Both companies were trying be the first in he market with diff technologies. Like the idrive (I distract, I crash). They put electronics without really testing or fixing the bugs, but let the consumers be the guinea pigs. There was boatload of electronic issues with the 745i, especially the 1st 2-3 yrs. And Merc had such dismal quality issues that they said it would fixed by 2006, coincidently it was the CLS that led the way...the E, S and The ML Classes, with the ML being the worse, were the ones with issues. I mean there was a big press conference about it, and Merc did a complete 180....

i've been following this thread...and...where the heck do you guys learn all this crap???  do u like go to dealerships and do reasearch  ???
carpe` vaginum!

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »

yup...both companies did have electronics issues...however, it was the way in which BMW dealt with me and my car's problems that has forever turned me off to their line.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
i've been following this thread...and...where the heck do you guys learn all this crap???  do u like go to dealerships and do reasearch  ???
Yeah, it's a combo of things. Mags, websites, dealers, talking to owners. I've stopped people at redlights, in the parking lot or getting tires on my car. I'll engage people in convos on what they like, don't like about their car, truck, etc. Also racetracks and car shows as well. Truth be told, if one is willing to learn, engaging and inquisitive you can learn a lot...half the shit I know is because I've asked, the other half is from forums and mags, more so the forums...
I've been in the customer service industry for most of my working career, and it helps immensely to ask the consumer questions about their likes, wants and desires, and ask for good feedback. Also like GI Joe, knowing is half the battle. When I used to work at Footlocker during the summer in college I learned that knowing about the product (I didn't understand why the DC area liked New Balances) and having a smooth and friendly demeanor helped me better than trying to smooth talk people. I soon learned every about the shoes--technology, price, colorways, the sizing, cut, what clothes to match it up with for women, etc...
And I approach that with the car thing as well.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:58 AM »
yup...both companies did have electronics issues...however, it was the way in which BMW dealt with me and my car's problems that has forever turned me off to their line.
Yeah, some dealerships are like that. The one near me was kinda like that...I actually went to a BMW dealership near me and told him of situation I noticed on a Sunday. Someone left a lot of cars unlocked and there was a guy opening the doors, he wasn't trying to steal the cars, but just trying to see how many were unlocked, and there were a shitload. I went to the dealership on Monday, I was dressed in a shirt and tie, and they ignored me for 5-8 minutes---too fucking long. I finally had to ask and then told them the issues. I should have spoken to their manager. I kinda felt like, they thought, "oh here is his youg black guy looking at M5s, he can't afford it..."
Another friend of mine who had a E36 M3 wanted to look at M3s at a dealership near Toxie, he was brushed off, and he is cool guy. Same dealership I went too, a State's Attorney was brushed off, and he owned a M3 and a old 2002---

Toxie, another thing, you never know who you talk to, I met a attorney who gets private tours of the Porsche factory and got inside scoops on upcoming cars, I knew when the Cayenne and Cayman were coming to market before the websites and mags did. And also rare variants. I also met and talk to a guy whose neighbor owned a Porschd 917 racecar, and those today are worth millions...

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »
what's the hp going to be?  

I would consider it after my 3 year 750ix lease is up

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 10:49:54 AM »
what's the hp going to be?  

I would consider it after my 3 year 750ix lease is up
Who knows, chances are it will use the standard engines in the lineup..N55 I6, TT V8, and V12. Chances are this will be in the 6er fold, not as a 8 series as I speculated...word is from a inside source that this will be a 6er Gran Coupe---like the CLS is a E Class but in a Victoria's Secret nightie--curves in the right spot.