Author Topic: nutrition question experts: the typical bb diet?  (Read 913 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
nutrition question experts: the typical bb diet?
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:42 AM »
hi everyone! i've always wondered when your a beginner to intermediate man who lifts weights should you automatically start eating what the mags say is the typical diet? you know 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, the same for carbs, unless your really trying to bulk up and then it's 1.5 to 2 grams of carbs per bodyweight?  the question i have is if that your someone like me whose only been lifting for less than a year, shouldn't i gradually build up to more and more protein and carbs and yes, calories as i get more experienced and my routines get more and more harder?

i'm just curious as when you know to start adding calories, protein grams, carb grams as you get more and more experienced and should been lifting heaver, routines harder, your should have gained weight/muscle,etcetera.

i.e. when do you know when to start doing instead of 1 gram of protein per bodyweight upping it to 1.25 to 1.5 grams and so on?

( i won't even get into the whole lean muscle, not just bodyweight issue)

right now, 45 years old, 220 to 225 pounds and bodyfat now around 18 to 20 %. and of course want to add muscle and lose bodyfat ( who doesn't? LOL)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Re: nutrition question experts: the typical bb diet?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
The thing about bodybuilding is that when you first get into it seriously it can be overwhelming. 

My advice is to err on the side of caution with lifting.  This is coming from someone with a torn rotator cuff and pretty bad tendenitis in one elbow, both of which could have been avoided if I had waited at least 4 months before getting into 1-5 rep range lifts on certain exercises.  In retrospect I had no business trying to ego the weights up that injured me.  If I had to do it again I would wait 6 months to a year of serious training before trying those rep ranges. 

In terms of nutrition, I see no reason not to go balls out on it.  Even if you think you are going balls out the truth is you will be half assing compared to a pro lifter.  Are you prepared to eat a meal of oatmeal with egg white omelet, tilapia with brown rice, then a meal of chicken breast with yams, then a meal of steak with steamed vegetables, then a post workout protein shake, then canned tuna with some beans?  I am still learning the ropes of nutrition.  My advice is to find a meal that you find palatable and can make in bulk and freeze in individual sized tupperware containers.  Then make enough for like 15 containers.  That will get you started.  After a couple of days of eating at least one of those a day, find another recipe you can do this with.  Also make a grocery list with all the standard BB foods.  Throw the crap out of your house and fill it with those foods. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: nutrition question experts: the typical bb diet?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
if you do a search you'll find a billion diet posts...

nutrition is the most important part of bodybuilding... then rest, then the actual lifting..... (gear comes first for the pros and for the deluded adonis complex guys)...