Author Topic: This part of ebook 5/3/1 made me laugh hard  (Read 1642 times)

Stark

• Getbig V
This part of ebook 5/3/1 made me laugh hard
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »
I am searching for ways to still working out even after I believe my time will be very short due to my wife giving birth in 6 weeks.
So I am studying 5/3/1 powerlifting and subsequently bought his ebook.

There is a pasage that made me laugh, and only because the mental picture nearly killed me :D

Assistance Work #3: I’m Not Doing Jack Shit

This is my favorite. I don’t recommend it, but it’s useful for non-beginners who have limited time to train. The I’m Not Doing Jack Shit program entails walking into the weight room, doing the big lift for the day (bench, squat, military or deadlift), and then walking out. I’ve done this plenty of times, especially when I’ve trained in commercial gyms. There are some advantages to this. You’ll be supremely focused on one thing: getting your sets done and breaking a PR. You won’t be worried about your assistance work, whether a machine is going to be available, or how much good mornings suck. I’ve made this deal with myself many times before I’ve trained: If I do X weight for X amount of reps, I’m leaving. I do this fairly often, and I’m sure it seems odd.

I recently went to a commercial gym, warmed up, did my working sets and set a huge PR. I sat there for a little while, then decided to leave. As I was walking out, I looked around at the other people training, and I wondered whether anyone else had set a personal record that day. For my part, I know I walked out of there better than I did when I walked in.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: This part of ebook 5/3/1 made me laugh hard
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »
I am searching for ways to still working out even after I believe my time will be very short due to my wife giving birth in 6 weeks.

There is a pasage that made me laugh, and only because the mental picture nearly killed me :D

This is my favorite. I don’t recommend it, but it’s useful for non-beginners who have limited time to train. The I’m Not Doing Jack Shit program entails walking into the weight room, doing the big lift for the day (bench, squat, military or deadlift), and then walking out. I’ve done this plenty of times, especially when I’ve trained in commercial gyms. There are some advantages to this. You’ll be supremely focused on one thing: getting your sets done and breaking a PR. You won’t be worried about your assistance work, whether a machine is going to be available, or how much good mornings suck. I’ve made this deal with myself many times before I’ve trained: If I do X weight for X amount of reps, I’m leaving. I do this fairly often, and I’m sure it seems odd. I recently went to a commercial gym, warmed up, did my working sets and set a huge PR. I sat there for a little while, then decided to leave. As I was walking out, I looked around at the other people training, and I wondered whether anyone else had set a personal record that day. For my part, I know I walked out of there better than I did when I walked in.

WTF dude!  That's how 90% of getbiggers workout.  Minus the PR and actually going to the gym part.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:27 PM »
WTF dude!  That's how 90% of getbiggers workout.  Minus the PR and actually going to the gym part.

come on thats a little harsh, I think most people here bust their ass.... wait that came out wrong

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Haha - I actually did this on Monday for back training.

I went into the gym late and feeling tired and thought fuck it, I'm going to do some rack pull deadlifts and go heavier than I've gone all year and then call it a day.

I did about four sets (three warm ups then the heavy set) and then did a few lat pull downs to warm my upper back and then went home. Good stuff.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »
I've done this a few times actually and walked out in shame.

I was training chest and couldn't get a pump after 4 sets of DB bench. Felt sluggish. Left with a tail between my legs.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »
http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/starting_strength_series_--_jim_wendler/ .

You folks might like that, it's a Wendler interview with Rippetoe. Parts 3 and 4 are the best.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »
I do that from time to time if I only have 10-15 min.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »
I use 5/3/1. Love it.

Just today, decided to just focus on squats and get a new high and back off on assistance work. Logbook says I'm getting stronger each week...it's enough to keep me happy and motivated.

I'm no threat to Cutler or Mendelson...just doing what I can to get a little stronger and bigger each day. Keeps life fun.

Wendler is really on to something with this. He's probably not the type of businessman to make a ton of money with it. He could if that was his thing. He's probably just happy to do ok with it, and train for the rest of his life. I'd say thanks to him personally if I ever met him, and buy him dinner. His training really works for me...feel like I owe him at least that much.

Isn't being businessman about making money?
Why would anyone want to do "ok" as opposed to VERY GOOD?
If he didn't want to make alot of $ he wouldn't have created an ebook.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »
Big difference between being a businessman and making money, versus one who takes the same idea and makes "a ton of money" as I stated above. Frankly, he's a little too honest, forthright, and seems genuinely good...a lot of that doesn't jibe well with maximizing income.

If he wanted to make a lot of money, we would NOT have created an e-book. There are far better ways to make money. Also, it's now so widely available on the net, it's virtually impossible to track revenues. That's what I meant...he had a great idea, but just didn't market it properly to maximize his revenue.

Doesn't mean I don't respect the guy. He had a great idea, and shared it with the world. People like that are very special on this planet. Maybe not wealthy, but they're "rich" if you know what I mean.

?
from incomplete data

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »
Big difference between being a businessman and making money, versus one who takes the same idea and makes "a ton of money" as I stated above. Frankly, he's a little too honest, forthright, and seems genuinely good...a lot of that doesn't jibe well with maximizing income.

If he wanted to make a lot of money, we would NOT have created an e-book. There are far better ways to make money. Also, it's now so widely available on the net, it's virtually impossible to track revenues. That's what I meant...he had a great idea, but just didn't market it properly to maximize his revenue.

Doesn't mean I don't respect the guy. He had a great idea, and shared it with the world. People like that are very special on this planet. Maybe not wealthy, but they're "rich" if you know what I mean.

Wrong on all counts. You can make millions w/ an ebook.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »

This is my favorite. I don’t recommend it, but it’s useful for non-beginners who have limited time to train. The I’m Not Doing Jack Shit program entails walking into the weight room, doing the big lift for the day (bench, squat, military or deadlift), and then walking out. I’ve done this plenty of times, especially when I’ve trained in commercial gyms. There are some advantages to this. You’ll be supremely focused on one thing: getting your sets done and breaking a PR. You won’t be worried about your assistance work, whether a machine is going to be available, or how much good mornings suck. I’ve made this deal with myself many times before I’ve trained: If I do X weight for X amount of reps, I’m leaving. I do this fairly often, and I’m sure it seems odd.

I recently went to a commercial gym, warmed up, did my working sets and set a huge PR. I sat there for a little while, then decided to leave. As I was walking out, I looked around at the other people training, and I wondered whether anyone else had set a personal record that day. For my part, I know I walked out of there better than I did when I walked in.
nook, kindle or ipad?
A

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:58:59 AM »
you reproducing should be banned

your sperm is worth less than jtsumanis