Author Topic: Salad on a Low Card Diet  (Read 2001 times)

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
Salad on a Low Card Diet
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
Do you count the carbs from lettuce since it's a negative calorie when on a low carb diet?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Re: Salad on a Low Card Diet
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »
I do not

Bodybuilding Related

• Getbig IV
  • We Are All Blessed To Be Here
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »
Yes at the end of the day subtract the 8 calories from the negative salad count and compute your weight loss for the day. 

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »
even though it has "calories" listed on the nutrition label, salad is a "free food"

eat as much as you want

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »
Yes - still counts.

Your body doesn't look at a food portion and say "free". It's the totality of the day's intake, and even moreso, what you eat over a week and month that determines weight loss. You add calories with salad, however miniscule. Those calories allow other macros you eat to do other things. Like store themselves as fat, glycogen, or muscle. Calories spare other calories. Carbs spare protein. Protein spares carbs. Fat spares all. And so it goes...

So yes, it counts. Doesn't count for much, but it counts. There are no "free" foods, though some are better than others. Salad being one of them. It's hard to over-eat calories on salad alone.

It doesn't count because you burn more calories from chewing it than they contain.
shotgun on the team

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
Yes - still counts.

Your body doesn't look at a food portion and say "free". It's the totality of the day's intake, and even moreso, what you eat over a week and month that determines weight loss. You add calories with salad, however miniscule. Those calories allow other macros you eat to do other things. Like store themselves as fat, glycogen, or muscle. Calories spare other calories. Carbs spare protein. Protein spares carbs. Fat spares all. And so it goes...

So yes, it counts. Doesn't count for much, but it counts. There are no "free" foods, though some are better than others. Salad being one of them. It's hard to over-eat calories on salad alone.

false, for numerous reasons, from thermic effect, to effect of short chain fatty acid liberation into the liver by intestinal bacteria, to the hydration and PH buffering effects... all the way down to possibility that fibers could bind with other dietary fat and push them out of the body without having been absrobed.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
Yes - still counts.

Don't listen to this douche. Totally wrong...just do some googling. You actually burn more calories digesting the actual salad than the energy it provides.

It only counts if you slather on a bunch of dressing or oil.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:39 PM »
Your response is false.

The caloric intake from salad spares other foods from the thermic effects of digestion.

It's the totality of what you eat, etc...

Like I said, it's not a stupendous food that adds up to a ton at the end of the day, but you're delusional if you don't count it.

Here's a thought exercise: if you gave someone enough protein to prevent Kwashiorkor syndrome, and enough vitamins and minerals to prevent disease. Then, give them the remainder of their maintenance calories in the form of salad. Then, add an extra 400 calories a day beyond maintenance in salad. Think that person will get fatter? I can guarantee you they will. Over the very long term, they will gain fat.

That's an extreme example, but it will happen, despite your comments above. You're right -- thermic effect, etc...it all takes away. But you're not seeing the forest for the trees and you're majoring in the minors. The body doesn't act in microcosms...it's a macrocosm.

I will say this, in that you're partially right. If in my thought exercise above, you were to substitute the exact same calories in the form of white bread instead of salad, you'd get a lot fatter, a lot faster. But in both scenarios, you do gain fat.

That's why you have to count it. I wouldn't sweat it, but the question was: does it count. It most certainly does.

you couldnt be more wrong about the person eating minimal protein and only 400 calories besides vegetables. they would get shredded extremely quickly, not put on any fat.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:29:03 PM »
Oh brother...whatever you say "pluck". Is that what you do to your eyebrows before you head out for a night on the town crusing for tops at the local watering hole?

Nice to see your primary source of education is google. Generation nothingness....

I do get my eyebrows waxed on occasion when I feel frisky...and I'm a top, not a bottom.

Let's put it this way. You don't even know about the nutritional value of goddamn lettuce and you're dishing out advice. Maybe instead of being a relic it's time to take that dust off your eyes and read some CURRENT information that's out there at your fingertips.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
Quote from: Lyle McDonald
Newsflash: Fiber Provides Calories to Humans

But there is another effect of fiber on energy balance that often goes unappreciated.  Backing up, it’s often stated that fiber provides no calories to the body since humans lack the enzymes necessary to digest it.  This has often been taken even further to claim that high-fiber vegetables are ‘negative calorie foods’, that is they take more calories to digest than they provide (assumed to be zero).

Here’s the thing: it’s not true.  Not entirely anyhow.

Above I discussed the issue of fermentation of some types of fiber to short-chain fatty acids which are then reabsorbed by the body.  Well, those fatty acids provide calories to the body.  While there is still some debate in the area, researchers have assigned a caloric value to fiber of 1.5-2 cal/gram (depending on the specific type).

Admittedly this is an average and will depend on the specifics of the diet and the type of fiber but, simply, the idea that fiber provides no calories to the body is not true. While the caloric value of fiber is still lower than starchy carbohydrates (4 cal/g), it is not zero.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
I don't think you'll agree with me, no matter what proof I provide.

What proof have you given? None.

Anyways, it's common sense. How many people get fat eating a salad?? Hmm...rocket science!
A cup of your regular iceberg lettuce has about 20 calories in it...without dressing. From the time you eat the salad to the time it gets chewed and digested in your stomach and intestines and eventually makes its exit...the digestive process has used up that energy and then some.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »

During pre-contest I have never counted the carbs from lettuce, broccolli, or green beans (I don't really eat any other veggies)

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »
 Low card diet?

Is that when you buy a deck of playing cards and eat all the 2's 3's and 4's?

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:41:35 PM »
even though it has "calories" listed on the nutrition label, salad is a "free food"

eat as much as you want

Agreed

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
How about some empirical data?

One of you homos get your salad tossed- and then see if it counts

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
dude, get 2 of these...1 with BBQ and the other with hot & spicy sauce..and a diet dr.pepper..then before bed masturbate to the college  chick thread or the over 18 thread that some stupid mod deleted :(

that my friend is a good day
I

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »
Wait a minute... all of this is on a low "CARD" diet? Maybe he's right...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
I don't think you'll agree with me, no matter what proof I provide. That's ok. You're a smart guy who's got some good ideas and knows more than most about nutrition. I've read your posts. You know your stuff. I just disagree with you. But it's too late at night to get into an argument.

I'll say this: if you're clean on your diet, and looking to go from 14% to 10%, you don't need to sweat salad or most veggies. If you're trying to go from 6% down to 4%, you'd better sweat every single thing that goes into your body.

We'll agree to disagree. Fine by me.

if a person ate enough vegetables to create a sum total of calories from said vegetables equivelent or over their maintanece calories.... the sheer volume of food and fiber being ingested would seriously block up the intestinal tract, and they would probably start to develop some mild malnutrition...     and those extra 400 calories on top would be like a huge breath of fresh air for the body, (that is... if the body even absorbed any of those 400 calories, with such a huge quantity of fiber being ingested)

did you notice in my previous posts where i refered to this already? short chain fatty acids..

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 06:32:21 AM »
fck salads --- eat asparagus

YOU ARE TALKING OF FOODS that have a high thermic effect, which are low in calorie density, high in nutrient density, high in fiber and which help suppress your appetite

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:08 AM »
I just love how you atkins fat asses think the sugar from fruits and vegetables is keeping you from being thin

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »
Do you count the carbs from lettuce since it's a negative calorie when on a low carb diet?
still waiting for your apology you little c0cksucking pu$sy......

you know, when you tried to pass of false information that white tea party member was responsible for the tims sq. bomb scare....