Author Topic: Puerto Rico the 51st State? Even Rep. Guitirez says this thing smells BAD.  (Read 3908 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez.Congressman
Posted: April 28, 2010 11:50 PM BIO Become a Fan Get Email Alerts Bloggers' Index .  
www.huffingtonpost.com

Why the Rush on the Puerto Rico Statehood Bill? Something Doesn't Add Up

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Comments H.R. 2499, the Puerto Rico statehood bill was brought to the House this week after a surprise announcement last Thursday. Debate on this bill has been severely limited by the way Democratic Leaders are managing the process. Democratic Puerto Rican Members of Congress are being shut out of the process and will be severely limited in their ability to debate the bill and offer amendments. Under the current Democratic Leadership, there will be less opportunity for Members and for the people of Puerto Rico to gain a better understanding of the bill.

So, what is up with this Puerto Rico statehood bill?

In my opinion, this bill is the political equivalent of a shady Goldman Sachs derivative: It's secretive. It lacks transparency. It's likely to blow up down the road and cause systemic risk to out democracy. And those who put this political derivative together don't really tell you what this is really about and will play dumb when it explodes.

I get more time to debate renaming a Post Office than I will get to debate a bill that could make Puerto Rico the fifty-first state.

Two Puerto Rican U.S. Senators? Six or seven new Puerto Rican House Members? Really? I can understand why some people would like that idea...but shouldn't we discuss it first?

When a similar Puerto Rico bill came up under Speaker Newt Gingrich's Republican controlled Congress a decade ago, it was the product of lengthy and thorough hearings and an open and fair process. Now, under Democratic Leadership, we get one hearing, no forewarning, no companion Senate bill, and a debate only a few seconds longer than a NASCAR pit-stop.

Then, I was given time to offer seven amendments. Then I was able to clarify the bill for the Puerto Rican people. Then, each of my seven amendments got 30 minutes of floor time for debate. Flash forward to now. Now a Democratic Majority Congress is only allowing me two of the 16 amendments I offered in the Rules Committee on Wednesday. Now I only have 10 minutes to debate each one.

Then was then this is now.

This means Speaker Gingrich, not a Speaker I voted for, not MY Speaker, allowed me 210 minutes of debate on my amendments alone, and under Democratic Leadership I get two amendments at ten-minutes each.

What's the rush? Something is wrong with this picture. It just does not add up.

I am a senior Democratic Member of Congress, whose parents were born in Puerto Rico, and for whom Puerto Rico self-determination has been - and remains - a central issue of my congressional career. This statehood bill is the opposite of self-determination.

It is designed to craft an artificial majority for statehood where none exists now. Every time the people of Puerto Rico have been consulted on this issue through a plebiscite they've said NO to Statehood. NO to Statehood in 1967. NO to Statehood in 1993. NO to Statehood in 1998. This should be called the "Don't you dare say NO to Statehood Bill".

Why is it that the when the people of the District of Columbia repeatedly and overwhelmingly ask for Statehood, Congress ignores them, and when the people of Puerto Rico, who have never asked for statehood and who have actually said 'no' to statehood three times get this statehood bill pushed on them in a rush...with little or no debate?

For the first time I can remember, I am planning to vote against the rule crafted by my party to govern the floor debate of this bill (H.R. 2499). It is a vote I did not expect to have to cast and is a deep disappointment. But I'm left with no choice.

Follow Rep. Luis Gutierrez on Twitter: www.twitter.com/RepGutierrez

________________________ _______________________

Wow!  Something is seriously FUCKED up if this guy is saying this.  

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Another step in Obamas plan for the TOTAL destruction of the United States.And the dummies here say its not on purpose.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Honestly, if even Guitirez is saying this, he knows there is something SERIOUSLY fucked up.

I have a really bad feeling about this thing now that even this guy is saying this. 

James

Honestly, if even Guitirez is saying this, he knows there is something SERIOUSLY fucked up.

I have a really bad feeling about this thing now that even this guy is saying this.  

slowly but surely. even many democrats are starting to see Obama for what he really is.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
But who is backing this in the congress?  I mean if you have lost Guitiriezz on this? ?  ? ? ? ? ?

I'm really feeling that something horrific is on the way. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
This lib son of bitch does more damage each day to the US then if the screaming hordes of the Chicom army invaded. Please, I don't need to be civil to anybody who voted for this assmonkey. If I get banned, I get banned...fuck U.  U assholes can go die in a fire. Obama knows if he panders to minorities he gets a dependent voter base for decades to come or atleast through 2012. Barry could care less about this country, he cares about getting his lib ass back in power and pushing the far left agenda. Which begs the question, why ask or push for minority help, why push for statehood...why..because libs, deep down in their soul think you're stupid. They think ur lazy, they think u need a hand out. They want u people to be dependent on them. Fuck libs....
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I warned you people many times.   You morons REFUSED to listen and refused to see the reality as to what was coming. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
hh6 and 33, you guys have some valid points.

However, calling people morons, saying 'fuck you libs', etc, only makes people cling to the positions they don't believe in because, well, at least obama isn't calling them morons.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm sorry, that time is long over. 

Its time for people like yourself to wake the hell up and see the reality of what is occuring instead of spinning like a top to kneepad obama. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V

Its time for people like yourself to wake the hell up and see the reality of what is occuring instead of spinning like a top to kneepad obama. 

Echoing my boy here...its long past. Civility gets u nowhere, not that we're gonna change minds at all. My point and the rest is that those who voted for this guy are now responsible for him, man up and admit you're wrong or own this shit, revel in the destruction of ur country and its way of life.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
my point is that many people who are on the fence will vote for a lib that is nice to them, over an angry mob screaming insults at them.

i voted libertarian and will continue to do so.  You can call it kneepadding because I take unpopular positions here, that's fine.  I don't donate $ to dems, nor votes, so if anyone changes their vote based upon something I type, they're idiots to begin with.

The tea party movement, this whole awakening to the constitution by the 60% of the nation that was cool with the patriot act, torture... it's refreshing.  A little late.  It was this neglect of the constitution that let obama slip in anyway.  Bush writes the mil commissions acts, and people are surprised obama follows suit?  Bush borrows like a drunken sailor and taxes 98% of people MORE than obama... and suddenly they start marching when a dem is in office.

My point is that it's great that ppl are waking up to the violation of the consitution - I just wish they'd realize that BOTh parties did it.  Obama just doing what repubs endorsed Bush to do.  Oh yeah, and threatening CW2 and screaming about what morons people are, won't get them on your side.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
hh6 and 33, you guys have some valid points.

However, calling people morons, saying 'fuck you libs', etc, only makes people cling to the positions they don't believe in because, well, at least obama isn't calling them morons.

Huh?He is saying your greed runs a world in need.Your white right?His teacher and mentor says YOUR the problem in the world.He says he doesnt need you he needs blacks and hispanics to fight you.Wake up1The guy f'n hates whites and says it right to your face and legislates that way and your worried about nit wits on a board calling you a moron?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
billy,

race = stupid divisive issue.  we might as well be arguing about abortion or gay marriage.  wake up.  these issues are designed to get us to squabble, while the smart guys run out the back door while printing $ in our name.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
billy,

race = stupid divisive issue.  we might as well be arguing about abortion or gay marriage.  wake up.  these issues are designed to get us to squabble, while the smart guys run out the back door while printing $ in our name.

OBAMA IS THE ONE DOING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He did it last weekend and did it again yesterday!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
240 do you at leat acknowledge that something really stinks to high heaven w this?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
no, YOU are doing it.

he's putting the bait out there.  some will defend him vehemently over it, and some (like you) were gonna attack him anyway.

Smart viewers will ignore race - cause you're gonna lose on it.  Every time you scream about 'he needs blacks and hispanics '... you do nothing but make these groups want to rally to obama because they hear loud right-wing voices shitting on them.

it's better to say "Obama is using race where it doesn't belong - let's talk about the obnoxious spending, and how it will affect YOU".  Blacks and hispanic voters will realize "oh shit, once that beet red powerlifter stopped yelling about race - he had some good points about obama squandering my grandchildren's future - I'm gonna vote repub this time".

Or we could keep screaming about Rev wright, if you prefer.  Sure didn't work in 2008 though.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
33, I think the repubs have a VERY powerful voice - if every GOP member decided to take this issue on FOX news, the entire nation and world would understand it completely in no time.

instead, FOX is talking about asteroids and bears eating out of trash cans.  Please email them this story so it can get some decent coverage!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
I'll tell you one thing, this will all make sense once the wetbacks are given amnesty. It's a slimy way of trying to expand the democratic base. You can also forget about anybody in this country bothering to learn English anymore. Spanish is going to become the countries second language and the government is going to force non-spanish speakers to learn it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
This is also a way to pack the senate with more dem votes. 

I would not feel at all upset if a natural disaster hit this country and wiped out every democrat voter who voted for this pofs admn. 

James

i voted libertarian and will continue to do so.  You can call it kneepadding because I take unpopular positions here, that's fine.  I don't donate $ to dems, nor votes, so if anyone changes their vote based upon something I type, they're idiots to begin with.

240, You may not have voted for Obama, but the fact still remains, that day after day you come on here and regurgitate your MSNBC talking points. And every time we point out to you who and what Obama truly is,  and that the MSNBC's talking points are horse shit, you then just switch gears to saying all Politicians are bad, etc.....

You have invested allot of time (post) into promoting Obama and the Democrats on here for the last few years, but just like the people who invested in Enron stock, you have to sooner or later admit that you made a bad move, and the sooner the better.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Bears need to eat...and good press as well. Look Gibbs will dodge this and we'll get nothing from barry anyway.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
something is gravely wrong the way this has come up so fast and how it is going down. 

Also, the fact that Guitiriez has no clue about this leads me to believe that they are intentionally keeping him in the dark on a lot of stuff on purpose. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Some crazy shit is going on behind the scenes with this.  We need to find out who is pushing this insanity. 

________________________ ________________________ ______________

Dems vigilant on Puerto Rico bill [Hispanic Dems want to kill it]
Politico ^ | April 29, 2010 | Jake Sherman

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:08:50 PM by ConjunctionJunction

Dems vigilant on Puerto Rico bill

Two of the most prominent Hispanic Democrats in Congress are continuing their all-out offensive to kill a bill that would mandate a vote on Puerto Rico’s political status.

And they’re taking direct aim at their leadership.

Democratic Reps. Nydia Velazquez (N.Y.) and Luis Gutierrez (Ill.) sent out an e-mail to members of Congress Thursday morning urging them to vote no on the Puerto Rican Democracy Act, which would allow the island’s residents to vote yes or no on whether they want to continue their political status. If that vote garnered a majority who didn’t like the island’s status, Puerto Ricans would then decide whether they wanted statehood, independence or free association.

“This bill is not the product of consensus. It does not provide for true self-determination. The two-step process in the bill is designed to craft an artificial majority for statehood,” Velazquez and Gutierrez said in their e-mail. “The people of Puerto Rico deserve a truly fair, democratic and inclusive self-determination process that is the product of consensus. H.R. 2499 does not provide for such a process. It is divisive, unfair and undemocratic.”

Gutierrez is taking a particularly hard line, saying that when a similar bill was brought up and passed in 1998, he got 210 minutes for seven amendments. Now he has two amendments and 10 minutes apiece for each.

“I am telling you, this is going to blow up just like the Goldman Sachs derivatives blew up,” he said on the House floor Thursday morning.

It's a split for Democrats, although one that likely won't matter — almost 60 Republicans are co-sponsors of the bill.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

What reality? the reality of obama calling out the SWAT team on innocent grannies?   ;D
w