Author Topic: Out of curiousity, how much could I make from writing a book?  (Read 1076 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
I won't give too many details with the exception of saying it's non-fiction.
Who all gets a cut? 

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: Out of curiousity, how much could I make from writing a book?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:22:44 PM »
I remember years ago I found out how little musicians make from selling CDs. Are books that bad?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »
Wiggs, Borders or one of the major book stores has a computer program that walks you through the process and might even get it published for you and offered for sale in their shop.

Check it out.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:59 PM »
depends on how well it sells, you will probably get a tiny percentage in royalties or something. for you to make lots of money it has to sell a shitload

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
I won't give too many details with the exception of saying it's non-fiction.
Who all gets a cut?  
Oh brother. It would depend on so many factors. The industry is in the shitter, right now. The subject/object would a huge factor. Do you have an imprint, would be another issue? If you are a top-of-the-line author, you might get around 30% of cover price (superstars may negotiate a few points northward), but these days, even with a fleshed-out manuscript you'd be lucky to get an advance.

/i'm transposing from what i know of the fiction market

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »
Wiggs, Borders or one of the major book stores has a computer program that walks you through the process and might even get it published for you and offered for sale in their shop.

Check it out.

Thanks I'm going to check it out right now.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »
Self publish and do your own marketing.  As long as it doesn't look like you wrote it with crayon, you can get Barnes and Noble to carry it without too much effort.  Amazon will pretty much carry anything with an ISBN, which costs about $50 if you self publish. 

If you sell your book for $29.00, with a retail of $9.99-14.99 depending on volume, you don't even need to be a best seller to make solid money.  If you can sell 5,000 books a year through all the various online sites, bookstores, etc., you're looking at $75,000 a year just in book sales for that book. 
Bang out another piece of shit every year or so and that number will continue to climb as distributers re-up old books and your new book count increases. 

Unless you pop out 8 kids and find a way to be on TV while your marriage turns into a train wreck, there's no money in books.  Publishers will take all the "good" rights.  They might let you keep the book rights, but they'll take over everything else, especially the movie rights.  So, if your shitpile of papers actually ends up a best seller, you get to watch your publisher make all the money. 
Y

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
I guess it all depends on how interesting it is...

in the long run.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
Dolson, interesting comment. Thanks.

Do you have an idea of what it would cost to publish/print 5.000 copies of a 400 page hard cover or paperback?

And if a writer does it himself, what would be the difference between the act of 'publishing; and the act of 'printing'?

I am uneducated in this publishing business.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
Dolson, interesting comment. Thanks.

Do you have an idea of what it would cost to publish/print 5.000 copies of a 400 page hard cover or paperback?

And if a writer does it himself, what would be the difference between the act of 'publishing; and the act of 'printing'?

I am uneducated in this publishing business.

I'm guessing ISBN # and so on, I used to deal with record contracts I know to legitimately register something as yours it has to be sent to the library of congress with an early date.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
Shite! I was looking at an infographic about this very thing the other day. If I can remember where I saw it, I'll post a link.
Almost always, yes.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »
This might help

http://www.lulu.com/

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »