Author Topic: Verifying 'wild caught' fish  (Read 1367 times)

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
Verifying 'wild caught' fish
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »
So I buy Salmon from this mom and pop meat market here in town.  They are frozen fillets and they say 'wild caught' on them, and they are imported from China.  How do you know that the fish really are wild caught and that the Chinese arent just lying and raising them in farms?  It seems very easy for people to just lie and say that the fish are wild caught so they can charge a higher price for them.
I dont like twinks.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Verifying 'wild caught' fish
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
actually wild caught fish are farm raised fish that are released into rivers and then caught once they are more mature.  Probably would try to get non-china seafood as they do tend to be more laden with heavy metals, etc.  Sometimes hard to do though.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 06:13:19 AM »
 Fresh fish smells like the body of water it came out of; less-than-fresh fish smells like, well, fish. I read that in Reader's Digest.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 06:45:37 AM »
I don’t know about Chinese fish, but our U.S. fish & wildlife commission – as Miggs noted – raise the fish on farms and then stock them in the local rivers, etc.
They even post some of the dates and locations of where they stock.

And Purge is correct about the smell.
Ideally, when you open the package, you should not smell “fish.”
The fresher the fish, the lower the odor.

One other test I know people have used successfully is to look at the fish’s eyes (provided it has its head). Clear eyes is a sign of freshness.
If the eyes appear cloudy or hazy, not so fresh.

Everything above pertains to identifying freshness.
I’m not aware of any methods to determine where a fish is harvested – particularly in China.
However, if their “raising & stocking” practices are anything like America’s, it may not make as big a difference as you think.

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:37 AM »
what the hell, so there are basically no fresh fish to buy now?

all of the wild caught fish really started out as farm raised?

need to start exterminating people across the world in 3rd world countries.  not enough resources for everyone.
I dont like twinks.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
No, not all of the fish caught in the wild are farm-raised, but it's difficult to distinguish the ones that are from those that aren’t - unless you take the label's word for it.

Ocean-caught fish are all likely wild – especially in waters a bit farther out from shore.
If buying domestic fish, look up the game commission’s site & browse the specific fish they stock in that area.
Any fish that doesn’t appear on that list is very likely wild.

Here’s an article you may like.
It pertains specifically to Alaskan salmon, but may give you some insight regardless:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Farm-Raised-Versus-Wild-Fish---How-to-Tell-the-Difference&id=3705903

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »
yeah these are pacific salmon, wild caught it says imported from china.

i prob wont buy some next week.
I dont like twinks.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »
The quality of food in the US is no better than the quality in China... Your FDA is as corrupt as as your banking system and your government.

Might as well eat the Chinese crap... It's what George Bush would tell you to do...