2 (8.3%)
J.R. should move beyond pro-wrestling
0 (0%)
J.R. should just retire and "enjoy life"
4 (16.7%)
J.R. should do whatever J.R. wants to do
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Jim Ross News:  (Read 17384 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Jim Ross News:
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »
Discuss:

The following is an excerpt from the latest online blog of WWE Hall Of Famer Jim Ross, updating his status with WWE and his future plans:

Credit: JrsBarBQ.com

There is rampant speculation on the internet about my future.
This is understandable as I've talked a great deal about it here on my blogs.
Plus, it's provided various wrestling sites, etc with some nice cannon fodder over the past few weeks.

This matter is much more simple than many perceive.
My WWE 'talent contract' has ended after a 17+ year run with the company.
However, I am still a WWE employee handling the same talent relations functions that I have executed for the company for the past few years including since moving to Oklahoma.
I simply do not have a 'talent contract' as WWE has no plans to utilize me as an on air talent at this time.

The WWE engaged in talks with me on Thursday of this week to discuss a new job description that would include what I am now doing along with other talent relations oriented matters.
I am considering this offer and I trust that a decision will be made soon regarding this opportunity.
In the meantime, I am still interested in a variety of projects and opportunities.

While some may feel that it is in their best interest that I not remain in broadcasting, I do not share in that belief at this time.
Somewhat like the recently estranged Halle Berry, I don't think that I will be lacking for 'suitors,' so to speak, if broadcastings the road that I decide to travel.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Will/Should Jim Ross go to TNA?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
Discuss:

Facts:

JR knows all kinds of influental people in the wrestling business
JR has made his money and then some
JR doesn't need WWE or TNA for that matter
JR has many other business ventures that he is involved in that don't require travel
JR holds all the cards, bottom line

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »
I suspect that Ross will make a decision based on personal happiness.
He no longer has to worry about career status or making the most money.

As per the last line in your above post, J.R. is in a most fortunate position.
He strikes me as a decent human being who's worked extremely hard & eaten a lot of shit to achieve the success he has.
Forget Dusty; JIM ROSS is the REAL "American Dream."

I sincerely hope Ross spends his remaining years doing AND ENJOYING them however he pleases.
He deserves it!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I suspect that Ross will make a decision based on personal happiness.
He no longer has to worry about career status or making the most money.

As per the last line in your above post, J.R. is in a most fortunate position.
He strikes me as a decent human being who's worked extremely hard & eaten a lot of shit to achieve the success he has.
Forget Dusty; JIM ROSS is the REAL "American Dream."

I sincerely hope Ross spends his remaining years doing AND ENJOYING them however he pleases.
He deserves it!

He would definately be an asset wherever he goes. People forget, he's been around for years.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »
I don't think he'll go to TNA.  Regardless of how he's been treated at times with WWE, I think he's got a lot of loyalty to the company, and wouldn't want to go and work for an unproven company like TNA.  He'd be more likely to switch sports and start commentating on football somewhere.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:30:45 AM »
I don't think he'll go to TNA.  Regardless of how he's been treated at times with WWE, I think he's got a lot of loyalty to the company, and wouldn't want to go and work for an unproven company like TNA.  He'd be more likely to switch sports and start commentating on football somewhere.
That's another possibility. He was a commentator for the Atlanta Falcons a few years ago. But don't think for one minute that he wouldn't go to TNA. If the price is right and the schedule is light. He's at a stage now in his life where he has made a good name for himself and he doesn't need anyone. JR is smart because whoever wants him will start a bidding war.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:40:11 AM »
As a business man, JR gets an A+.

I know I'm going to get blasted for saying this, but oh well.  i have never been a fan of JR as a play by play guy.  I was an NWA fan when they brought him over from the UWF back in the day.  He was half-decent at that point, but his work in WWE has always made me want to choke somebody.....whole career of "Gooooood laaaaards !!!!!!"  And trying to sneak in psuedo-curse words like an 8yr old.  No thanks.

Of course I was raised on Gordon Solie.  And JR couldn't carry Gordon's jock...nobody can.   8)

Part of the issue is just the whole evolution of the product, I know, but back in the day Solie and Bob Caudle didn't actually know what was going to happen on set.....the idea was to capture their reaction to what was happening in real time.  Certainly gave the shows a more "real" feel.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:44:05 PM »
Ha!
Nobody's gonna blast you - that's just your opinion, and it's very astute.
Even more interesting is that so many people compare Ross to Solie.

It is unfair to make a direct comparison between the two.
As you pointed out, they are from two totally different generations - Solie didn't wear a headset to be fed lines from the production area, nor did they work from scripts written by former soap opera writers.

However, when I look at the limited pool of current talent, I would certainly take JR over many of today's contemporaries.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
Ha!

As you pointed out, they are from two totally different generations - Solie didn't wear a headset to be fed lines from the production area, nor did they work from scripts written by former soap opera writers.

However, when I look at the limited pool of current talent, I would certainly take JR over many of today's contemporaries.

modern day pro wrestling pales in comparison due to these points brought up here,scripted,in the know as it happens,thats what made the older announcers so great they suspended the imagination to make it seem real and realistic good  vs bad,character buildup.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 04:08:02 AM »
Ha!

Also what everyone seems to forget is that JR is not just soley a commentator. He was the VP of talent at one point and a talent scout for Vince McMahon. Who do you think found Cena & Orton for example? He is a well rounded person to have backstage on any wrestling program.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 05:16:22 AM »
Also what everyone seems to forget is that JR is not just soley a commentator. He was the VP of talent at one point and a talent scout for Vince McMahon. Who do you think found Cena & Orton for example? He is a well rounded person to have backstage on any wrestling program.

I was speaking strictly about his mic work.  Behind the scenes he is certainly an asset, although I don't think I would give him credit for "discovering" Randy Orton.

As Monty pointed out, the different generations thing is big.  I cringe thinking about if poor Gordon had to describe some of that over the top crap that Undertaker and Kane did......hahahahaha  "Austin has been crucified.....and brother, did he catch him with that one!"  In Gordon's trademark gravely voice.....hahaha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 05:56:59 AM »
"Austin has been crucified.....and brother, did he catch him with that one!" 

ROFLMFAO!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »
Credit: wrestlezone.com

The following are some highlights from the latest online Q&A session from WWE Hall Of Fame announcer Jim Ross:

When asked for yet another update on his WWE announcing situation, JR stated, "WWE simply wants to go in a different direction on air which is their call entirely.
I don't agree with it but that opinion, too, is a non issue."
JR continued, "Obviously, I feel that my work will compare favorably to anyone broadcasting pro wrestling today.

Time will tell as to how every thing works out but I stress to all that I don't have to stay in pro wrestling to continue broadcasting.
At the end of the day it's all about being happy and enjoying what I do for a living. I'm at the point in my life where that requirement is attainable."

When asked about TNA moving Impact from head-to-head with WWE RAW on Monday back to their regular Thursday timeslot, JR said, "Obviously Monday mights were not going to work for TNA and let's hope that Thursday nights help them build their brand."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 04:47:10 AM »
Credit: wrestlezone.com

The following are some highlights from the latest online Q&A session from WWE Hall Of Fame announcer Jim Ross:

When asked for yet another update on his WWE announcing situation, JR stated, "WWE simply wants to go in a different direction on air which is their call entirely.
I don't agree with it but that opinion, too, is a non issue."
JR continued, "Obviously, I feel that my work will compare favorably to anyone broadcasting pro wrestling today.

Time will tell as to how every thing works out but I stress to all that I don't have to stay in pro wrestling to continue broadcasting.
At the end of the day it's all about being happy and enjoying what I do for a living. I'm at the point in my life where that requirement is attainable."

When asked about TNA moving Impact from head-to-head with WWE RAW on Monday back to their regular Thursday timeslot, JR said, "Obviously Monday mights were not going to work for TNA and let's hope that Thursday nights help them build their brand."

And as of right now Shelton Benjimen & Charlie Haas are in talks with TNA and close to inking a deal once their WWE 90 no-compete claus is up. There are talks of them reforming a faction with Kurt Angle much like the team Angle of the WWE.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
And as of right now Shelton Benjimen & Charlie Haas are in talks with TNA and close to inking a deal once their WWE 90 no-compete claus is up. There are talks of them reforming a faction with Kurt Angle much like the team Angle of the WWE.

That would be solid.  Angle could handle their mic work and get them over, no problem.  And all 3 can wrestle their tales off.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 04:30:09 AM »
That would be solid.  Angle could handle their mic work and get them over, no problem.  And all 3 can wrestle their tales off.
I totally agree with you there.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
The following was the latest update by Jim Ross on his official J.R.'s BBQ website:

On whether he was upset over Ric Flair wrestling again:  "No...I do not have an issue with Ric Flair wrestling but I do think that Ric should be wrestling perhaps 2-3 times per year and likely never on free TV. That's just my opinion. Flair adds much more to any TV show when he is talking or at ringside. I do not have an issue with Ric performing after his ballyhooed retirement from WWE at WM24. Pro wrestling retirements rarely last...just do the math...and people need to earn a living"

On whether he thinks the PG rating is here to stay: "Yes...I do believe that WWE will be PG rated for the long haul. It is much more advertiser and family friendly which simply makes common and business sense. If fans complain about creative it rarely has any thing to do with the PG rating or whatever as it usually pertains to the creative itself being lame or poorly executed. Bad humor is bad humor. Bad acting is bad acting and matches that make no logical sense happening still won't make any sense no matter the TV rating."

On him predicting TNA would do well on Monday nights: "O.K....a fan pointed out that he predicted that TNA would not last on Monday night and that I thought that they had a fighting chance. I was assuming that TNA would produce a more compelling, TV product too so I assume I was wrong on two fronts. Shame on me. I remain for all wrestling companies on TV, WWE, TNA, and ROH to do well. Again, the putting someone out of business mantra is antiquated and essentially stupid."

On fans emailing WWE and protesting on his behalf: "I saw on line where some fans want to hit WWE with E-mails on my behalf. I implore fans to please NOT do such as it just becomes a nuisance and it will do no good whatsoever. I do not endorse such a protest and I have to say that I am happy, healthy, and doing great. I have nothing to bitch and moan about. My mindset to continue broadcasting hasn't changed but time will tell if that phase of my life is truly done or not. I always wanted to go out on my terms if possible and not have someone dictate when I was done. Perhaps that can still happen at a different place and in a another genre."

Montague

• Getbig V
Re: Jim Ross' Future:
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
From Jim Ross' official J.R.'s BBQ website:

"Got an advance copy of Mick Foley's newest book, release date TBD, entitled 'Countdown to Lockdown' and my friend Mick has penned another hit. I did not have the highest of expectations for this book considering what I perceived it to be about based on the title. I was wrong.

Mick covers a variety of wrestling topics including his days as a WWE broadcaster including his honest and candid thoughts on the experience. Mick also shares more than one compelling conversation that he had with Vince McMahon during those days. 'Mrs. Foley's Baby Boy' is an amazingly gifted writer and is always brutally honest with his innermost feelings and opinions on a variety of topics."

"Machida vs. Rua is the main event in a rematch of a fight that many thought Rua won but the judges felt other wise. Two things, bad outcomes can occur when fights go to the judges cards and even though I hope that Rua gets his just due I think that Machida will be very motivated to dispel the last match controversy and win conclusively. This one is hard to call but that's what makes in ring products of all types interesting. "

"No....I don't think that Hulk Hogan is a 'traitor' to WWE and to Vince McMahon because Hogan is working in TNA. Yes, McMahon did a great deal for Hogan back in the day but that was a reciprocal deal as Hulk certainly carried his share of the water in that relationship as well. Hogan is simply earning a living and it's as simple as that to me. "

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 04:09:15 AM »
From Jim Ross' official J.R.'s BBQ website:

"Got an advance copy of Mick Foley's newest book, release date TBD, entitled 'Countdown to Lockdown' and my friend Mick has penned another hit. I did not have the highest of expectations for this book considering what I perceived it to be about based on the title. I was wrong.

Mick covers a variety of wrestling topics including his days as a WWE broadcaster including his honest and candid thoughts on the experience. Mick also shares more than one compelling conversation that he had with Vince McMahon during those days. 'Mrs. Foley's Baby Boy' is an amazingly gifted writer and is always brutally honest with his innermost feelings and opinions on a variety of topics."

"Machida vs. Rua is the main event in a rematch of a fight that many thought Rua won but the judges felt other wise. Two things, bad outcomes can occur when fights go to the judges cards and even though I hope that Rua gets his just due I think that Machida will be very motivated to dispel the last match controversy and win conclusively. This one is hard to call but that's what makes in ring products of all types interesting. "

"No....I don't think that Hulk Hogan is a 'traitor' to WWE and to Vince McMahon because Hogan is working in TNA. Yes, McMahon did a great deal for Hogan back in the day but that was a reciprocal deal as Hulk certainly carried his share of the water in that relationship as well. Hogan is simply earning a living and it's as simple as that to me. "

Quoted for the truth.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 05:15:24 AM »
Absolutely.
I’ve always thought it kind of foolish to bicker about who did more for pro-wrestling during that time - Vince or Hulk.

Oddly enough, it seems to be Piper that yells the loudest.
In his mind, he was - at the very least - JUST AS responsible for drawing the War to Settle the Score, WM, etc.
 :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 05:17:14 AM »
Absolutely.
I’ve always thought it kind of foolish to bicker about who did more for pro-wrestling during that time - Vince or Hulk.

In his mind, he was - at the very least - JUST AS responsible for drawing the War to Settle the Score, WM, etc.

I respect Piper, but he is a bit delusional on his place in pro wrestling history. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »
Absolutely.

Piper was just a player in the game called Wrestlemania. Hogan was the main draw as he always was.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »
Facts:

JR knows all kinds of influental people in the wrestling business
JR has made his money and then some
JR doesn't need WWE or TNA for that matter
JR has many other business ventures that he is involved in that don't require travel
JR holds all the cards, bottom line

QFT

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »
Jim Ross has posted the following over at JRsBarBQ.com, noting that he will be closing his BBQ restaurant in Norman, OK:

"At the end of the day, our business plan could not handle the shift in the economy or the rising overhead that we encountered.
We make no excuses...In the upcoming weeks, my professional schedule is likely to change significantly.
I've realized that there is only so much that I can pile on my plate so perhaps this unfortunate turn of events is a blessing in disguise."
JR also noted that he intends to keep his online store open and continue selling his merchandise via the internet.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
credit: JRsBarBQ.com:

"I have worked out what we believe to be a win/win, employee agreement with WWE and will remain with the company that I have been with essentially since 1993 when I debuted at Wrestlemania 9 (To celebrate this occasion, as I'm writing this I'm wearing a toga.)

Going forward, I will be focusing on a variety of talent relations matters, essentially as a consultant, of which will not require weekly travel. I will be visiting FCW in Tampa on a regular basis to observe the development of the young men and women who, I hope, all want to headline Wrestlemania some day. This area of the company has always been of particular interest to me including when we opened developmental areas years ago in Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Southern California. Many of the WWE's biggest stars of this generation came from those areas."