Author Topic: Pro Bodybuilding and conflict of interests  (Read 6168 times)

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
Re: Pro Bodybuilding and conflict of interests
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 06:27:13 AM »
It's clearly time for chick to step down and get lost.  The "sport" has become a farce.  Now the weider cabal, who chick is a punk for, is pushing the creepy grapefruit fucker as the Next Big Thing.  What a travesty.
(

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 06:52:59 AM »
Wasn't there some hooha at last years Atlantic City Pro where Rich Gaspari was supposedly on the judging panel of the 202's and one of his sponsored athletes, Flex Lewis won?

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
It doesnt happen, as sponsors of shows that happen to be judges do not judge the class in which one of their own may be competing...

That said, for those who dont know how the judging is run....the head judge just compiles the scores and takes in the requests from the panel as to who to compare....thinking they somehow "dictate" the callouts is simply untrue. They also do not cast a vote...

It happens in the NPC ALL THE TIME.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »
I had no idea that sponsors and or anyone connected with a show are being used as judges.  This is 100% wrong and absolutely proves the IFBB and NPC is crooked in placings.  Definitely not all the time but definitely sometimes.  Chic this is something honestly has to be changed.  If you or anyone else doesn't think a sponsor in a show who is also judging the same show they sponsoring does not have any influence on the placings then something is hugely wrong.  Man I honestly did not know this was happening.  

The sad thing though is it won't be changed because the IFBB needs those sponsors and the sponsors won't come in and sponsor a show unless they can get something out of it.  Having a champion as a spokesperson is far better than someone who has not won a major show.  Without these "planted" judges the IFBB would lose sponsorships. Simple as that.  If company "A" calls the IFBB and tells them they want to sponsor a major IFBB event but they need one of their athletes to win.  That company will soon have a champion.
No Worries 4 me

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
This isn't bodybuilding but obviously something political happened here (Yes, this is the girl from the last Bachelor, Gia Allemand.) She just jumped on stage, no tan, skinny, and won  :D

she got tag teamed by the judges table, this is the reward  :D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »
I had no idea that sponsors and or anyone connected with a show are being used as judges.  This is 100% wrong and absolutely proves the IFBB and NPC is crooked in placings.  Definitely not all the time but definitely sometimes.  Chic this is something honestly has to be changed.  If you or anyone else doesn't think a sponsor in a show who is also judging the same show they sponsoring does not have any influence on the placings then something is hugely wrong.  Man I honestly did not know this was happening.  

The sad thing though is it won't be changed because the IFBB needs those sponsors and the sponsors won't come in and sponsor a show unless they can get something out of it.  Having a champion as a spokesperson is far better than someone who has not won a major show.  Without these "planted" judges the IFBB would lose sponsorships. Simple as that.  If company "A" calls the IFBB and tells them they want to sponsor a major IFBB event but they need one of their athletes to win.  That company will soon have a champion.

It is not that simple or some "fixed" result. I am NOT an IFBB pro judge but have been an NPC and AAU America judge for many years.
Most of the judges today work within the fitness/supplement industry and tend to be a close knit group at the pro level.
The contest isn't fixed but some amount of "group think" does exist now more than yrs past.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:46 AM »
It is not that simple or some "fixed" result. I am NOT an IFBB pro judge but have been an NPC and AAU America judge for many years.
Most of the judges today work within the fitness/supplement industry and tend to be a close knit group at the pro level.
The contest isn't fixed but some amount of "group think" does exist now more than yrs past.

So when a judge the night before is applying pro tan to one of the figure contestants that's an example of "group think"?  Idiot.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »
So when a judge the night before is applying pro tan to one of the figure contestants that's an example of "group think"?  Idiot.

If a judge is training/ prepping a contestant, that is clearly impossible for that judge to be fully objective.
I was talking about the situation in general. Judges like me are a dinorsaur. I work as a physics teacher and don't make a dime in any BB , fitness, supplement business.
I once had to judge a state meet where I knew each class winner and had trained with every one of them at some point.
I knew I could only pick one and how hard each one had trained for show show. I did my best to be fair and objective but it was tough.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
If a judge is training/ prepping a contestant, that is clearly impossible for that judge to be fully objective.
I was talking about the situation in general. Judges like me are a dinorsaur. I work as a physics teacher and don't make a dime in any BB , fitness, supplement business.
I once had to judge a state meet where I knew each class winner and had trained with every one of them at some point.
I knew I could only pick one and how hard each one had trained for show show. I did my best to be fair and objective but it was tough.

It happens all the time in the NPC...what don't you understand about that?  Why do you insist on bringing your irrelevant experiences into every thread you post in.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
To piggyback on the independent athletes rep thread...

Contest Judges CANNOT be trainers/nutritionist or be related to the athletes competing.

Sponsors of contests CANNOT be judges of shows in which they have athletes that are employees.

Contest judges should be chosen randomly with a computer program. Only contest judges that have proven track record of fairness and impartiality (this actually can be done, although still subjective) will be considered for judging the Mr. Olympia i.e. the Superbowl of bodybuilding.

Continue this list...

I'm just going to watch ID tv and forget about it, complications are abundant with judging and shit.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »
To piggyback on the independent athletes rep thread...

Contest Judges CANNOT be trainers/nutritionist or be related to the athletes competing.

Sponsors of contests CANNOT be judges of shows in which they have athletes that are employees.

Contest judges should be chosen randomly with a computer program. Only contest judges that have proven track record of fairness and impartiality (this actually can be done, although still subjective) will be considered for judging the Mr. Olympia i.e. the Superbowl of bodybuilding.

Continue this list...

computer programs - that means manion and the top dogs would have to pull money from their non-profit orgs and out of their pockets.  nope...paper, pencils with erasers and my boy will do.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »
an easy call for any judge

lacking on trap development bigtime!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
Maybe the Feda need to step in. If this is pro atheletics and drug abuse is rampant, corruption in judging and unfair treatment of "atheletes", and as we all know the DEA does monitor these boards, why are the feds not intervening. After all the supp companies sell billions of dollars of whey,creatine and promises of muscles to young men each yr....

Answer is no one cares...

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »
Maybe the Feda need to step in. If this is pro atheletics and drug abuse is rampant, corruption in judging and unfair treatment of "atheletes", and as we all know the DEA does monitor these boards, why are the feds not intervening. After all the supp companies sell billions of dollars of whey,creatine and promises of muscles to young men each yr....

Answer is no one cares...

I guarentee if anyone wanted.  Say myself put enough bugs in peoples ears and turn straight RAT it could happen....very easy actually.  The key is the drugs as the drugs go so does bodybuilding.

I have no problems with the drugs though :D

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »

Wow.. complete bullshit. The legitimate competitors devoted a huge chunk of their lives to that contest prep. Life is hilarious. Lovely *sport*.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »

Gee Keith, you're not implying that for the last 5 or 6 years muscletech sponsored athletes have placed in the top 5 at the Olympia are you !?!?

Smanjh

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 12:43:20 AM »
I thought BBing was fake in the sense that wrestling is fake? :P

Seriously, if the guy they are promoting shows up and is close to the competition, then they give him the nod, right? If something happens they go with plan B I guess.

Just look at how the rules changed to accommodate freakyness in the 90's-00's. Plus, hardly anyone over 5'8 makes it anymore since the taller guys generally can not get that same look?

I really thought it was rigged in an effort to work people and thus create more interest in the athletes, like when Arnold won in 1980, or Yates that time he tore his arm, or even giving to Haney over Gaspari both times. All of these were great stories more so than realistic outcomes. Jay Cutler winning in 2007 and then Dexter conveniently winning the next year when Cutler was 'off' again only for Cutler to come back and be the only guy to regain the title is a little fishy, especially since there was that memo a few years ago that aesthetics were going to be part of the judging criteria again.