Author Topic: Farah Malhass, First Arab woman bodybuilder!  (Read 16011 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Farah Malhass, First Arab woman bodybuilder!
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100505/wl_mideast_afp/lifestylejordansocialwomenbodybuilding;_ylt=Aj7Rxyi1sQW4l6_4WeWsMKoLewgF;_ylu=X3oDMTNlNXNxcjAzBGFzc2V0A2FmcC8yMDEwMDUwNS9saWZlc3R5bGVqb3JkYW5zb2NpYWx3b21lbmJvZHlidWlsZGluZwRwb3MDMjcEc2VjA3luX3BhZ2luYXRlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDam9yZGFuaWFud29t

by Randa Habib Randa Habib – Wed May 5, 2:07 am ET
AMMAN (AFP) – Her highly muscled body is smothered in tattoos, she is constantly criticised by her fellow Jordanians and she suffers deep inner torment.

No matter what it takes, however, 26-year-old Farah Malhass is determined to become the first Arab woman to enter an international body-building competition.

"Everyone is against me. No one understands why I want to become an international star in figure body-building," she said.

Her pursuit comes at great personal cost; many Jordanian men have strict views on "correct" behaviour for women, as witnessed by the frequent so-called honour killings -- of female family members suspected of having sex before marriage.

Malhass is a sitting target for Jordan's hardliners, not least of all because her body is covered in tattoos: a bare-breasted angel is depicted on her upper thighs, angel wings cover her back, and edgy statements are branded across her arms.

"You are somebody when you stop being nobody," reads one. "Only the one who hurts you can heal your pain," reads another.

"The tattoo is vital for me. It reveals my identity and the path I want to follow," says Malhass, who travels regularly to Beirut to get her tattoos after receiving her first one at the age of 17.

"Yes, it hurts, but it is therapeutic at the same time because the pain allows me to overcome the inner suffering that eats away at me," she says.

Hailing from a well-off Jordanian family as one of two daughters, Malhass's parents are divorced. She has no contact with her businessman father and her mother is often away on travels.

"It was my grandfather who looked after us. He always spoiled me, but when I was 20 I wanted to live alone and achieve my dream."

A rebel from an early age, she has nurtured the dream since the age of 14, when she swore that one day it would be her pictures splashed out across the walls of the gym.

Malhass began training at 20, but soon came up against the disapproval of her family, who could not understand why she should chose to "deform my body and make myself look ugly."

So she enrolled at Saint Martins College in London to study fine art, but soon dropped out.

Back in Jordan, she joined the International Organisation for Migration in 2007 and worked with Iraqi immigrants, "an experience that scarred me with their stories of torture and abuse."

Malhass left the IOM last year and is now totally committed to her ambition of taking part in international body-building competitions.

Today, she is on the verge of seeing her dream come true.

She is to travel to Canada in September to take part in an amateur body-building competition in the "figure" category, for muscle men and women who do not aim to develop huge biceps.

"If I win first prize, I would then be able to participate in professional competitions," she says.

But in Amman her plans are met with scepticism and derision far more than encouragement.

The Jordanian body-building federation has difficulty accepting a woman into its ranks. "Aren't you ashamed of parading in front of the world in a bikini," she is asked.

So far only one Jordanian athlete, Zeid al-Far, has supported her. He is also competing in Toronto and they are sharing the cost of their training.

They are also seeking sponsorship together but this is proving elusive, with just one radio station manager in Amman and a nightclub owner in Beirut taking any interest.

"Preparations for the competition are expensive, with all the vitamins and other health supplements, gym membership, food ... I've even sold my car to meet the costs," she says.

She insists she wants to reach her goal by herself, without family help.

"Besides, my grandfather is ill and if he ever learned that I was taking part in this kind of competition, he would certainly never recover."

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Farah Malhass, First Arab woman bodybuilder!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:31:47 PM »
Dina Al Sabah is the first, and she's royalty.  :)
S

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
looking huge here...

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
nobody cares...... you jacked this directly from an RX muscle thread...........what is it inside of you that thinks your need to be the one to report every bodybuilding morsel of info you come across, back to getbig
'
its soooooooooo fucking weird.....you really have no opinion, and do not talk much.....you just post bb news stories....are you a frustrated newspaper editor??? ::) ::)

meltdown.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
nobody cares...... you jacked this directly from an RX muscle thread...........what is it inside of you that thinks your need to be the one to report every bodybuilding morsel of info you come across, back to getbig
'
its soooooooooo fucking weird.....you really have no opinion, and do not talk much.....you just post bb news stories....are you a frustrated newspaper editor??? ::) ::)
musclecenter is the man, stfu

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:49:41 PM »

Was gonna say, Dina has been doing this for a longer time!  But that chick is bad ass!

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »
She is so asking to have her head chopped off. Remember the cleric a few days ago talking about cracking down on women who have sun tans? It's the women that are causing the earth quakes.

BTW, I'd hit it in the fatwa real hard.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »
meltdown.

you little fagg0t fuck.....you were one of the pussy cowards the other day.

making completely false accusatioins regarding white men and the tea party being responsible for the times square bombings

there is no one here that likes you......pleae die tonight :D :D

oh, and apologies to musclecenter......if he think its his duty to bring EVERY BB related news story he stumbles across on the internet... so be it

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »
you little fagg0t fuck.....you were one of the pussy cowards the other day.

making completely false accusatioins regarding white men and the tea party being responsible for the times square bombings

there is no one here that likes you......pleae die tonight :D :D

oh, and apologies to musclecenter......if he think its his duty to bring EVERY BB related news story he stumbles across on the internet... so be it

Is that true? Matrix, explain yourself!

MuscleCenter is GetBig family. Only MuscleCenter would risk his life saving a worthless cat and still give a thumbs up and single bicep shot from a hospital bed.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »
Is that true? Matrix, explain yourself!

MuscleCenter is GetBig family. Only MuscleCenter would risk his life saving a worthless cat and still give a thumbs up and single bicep shot from a hospital bed.
Thanks,bro
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=117526.475
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=117526.500

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »

Musclecenter is THE MAN!!!!!

Mr. Taiwan, I go to the far east for business, the next time I'm there, I'll swing by Taiwan and we will lift together, you gotta teach me your tricks!

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
Musclecenter is THE MAN!!!!!

Mr. Taiwan, I go to the far east for business, the next time I'm there, I'll swing by Taiwan and we will lift together, you gotta teach me your tricks!
No problem,bro
E-mail to me before your arrival.

Alex23

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
This is pretty awesome. Some solid genetics on the arab side; some say a consequence of the strongest saxons making it down there during the crusades and spreading their "seeds".

I say damn good people once you're (smart enough) to put every muslim in the same basket.

The key is global reach.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »
No problem,bro
E-mail to me before your arrival.

Will do for sure!  I doubt it will be anytime this year - but maybe 2011  !!!  I will let you know!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 07:23:41 AM »
She looks like a hot piece of ass. I hope that she isn't raped and murdered before she gets the chance to compete.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:48:10 AM »
Is she training for a suicide bombing mission?  Mongrel...

ksa_triceps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
Gorgeous!

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »
looking huge here...
I hope this woman starts a movement in the Arab world and ends the dark ages of woman required to be in bee keeper suits.
I also wish her a safe life and pray some idiot wacko doesn't put a death fatwa on her head.

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
Is she training for a suicide bombing mission?  Mongrel...

;)

ksa_triceps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 04:07:24 PM »
I hope this woman starts a movement in the Arab world and ends the dark ages of woman required to be in bee keeper suits.
I also wish her a safe life and pray some idiot wacko doesn't put a death fatwa on her head.

Women are not required to wear a bee keeper suit in any Arab country. They are allowed to wear them if they please.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »
Women are not required to wear a bee keeper suit in any Arab country. They are allowed to wear them if they please.

Most here are Americans so we don't know shit about anything outside our backyard. Doesn't Saudi Arabia require that you wear a burka?

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »
I'm sure she will be killed by some stupid Muslim extremist for exposing her skin..

I am a mini beast

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 04:28:01 PM »

Hmmmm I think ill wear an all black outfit which covers every last inch of skin while i walk thru the desert today....  ::)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »
Tongue in cheek about bee keeper suits?