Author Topic: Imam: Mosque near ground zero would prove American religious tolerance. WTF?  (Read 1715 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Robert Spencer: Why the assumption that we have something to prove? Meanwhile, we're expected to take Islam's claims of "tolerance" (which is according to its own definition and standards, not the Western tradition) as an article of politically correct faith. The tasteless positioning of a mosque near Ground Zero is also intended to foist another part of that dogma on New Yorkers -- namely, that Islam had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks, so a mosque in that location ought to be quite alright, right?

But there are two problems here: 1. Islamic jihad was the motivation behind those attacks, and 2. it is Islam that has a problem with tolerance, as is made clear by its own texts and teachings (one may start with Qur'an 9:29, 98:6), and the abundance of Islamic nations cited as "Countries of Particular Concern" in the annual report of the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom.

Lastly, the fact that this project is called the "Cordoba House" adds a certain level of insult to injury. In that vein, someone might ask Imam Rauf about the Hagia Sophia sometime.

"New Yorkers Wary Of Future Ground Zero Mosque," from CBS, May 6:

NEW YORK (CBS) ― In a building damaged by debris from the Sept. 11 airliners that brought down the World Trade Center and soon to become a 13-story mosque, some see the bridging of a cultural divide and an opportunity to serve a burgeoning, peaceful religious population. Others see a painful reminder of the religious extremism that killed their loved ones.

Anything having to do with that day, that place, carries enormous meaning. Now two Islamic organizations have partnered to build something that they say will bring some good from something very bad.

Organizers say the project will create a venue for mainstream Islam and a counterbalance to radicalism. It earned a key endorsement this week from influential community leaders.

"This is a community center, a community and cultural center, which would include certainly prayer space for Muslims and we hope for non-Muslims as well, to bring about a new discourse in the relationship between the United States, New York City, and the Muslim world," said Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf of the Cordoba Initiative.

He's hoping the 13-story, $100 million Islamic center will join the other buildings; the banks, offices, and apartments, going up at ground zero. It will serve a growing Muslim population in lower Manhattan.

The closest mosque to this area is a dozen blocks away and very over-crowded, but this site was also chosen for exactly what happened here on 9/11, and what America stands for, Rauf told CBS station WCBS-TV in New York City.

"Definitely, this is a victory of American tolerance over hatred," Rauf said.

But some 9/11 victims' families say the issue isn't tolerance.

It's sensitivity.

"I don't like it," said Evelyn Pettigano, who lost a sister in the attacks, during a phone interview on Thursday. "I'm not prejudiced. ... It's too close to the area where our family members were murdered."

"I lost my brother, Sean. He was a fireman," Rosaleen Tallon said.

"As an American I am so proud of our freedom of religion, but I also think we have to be historically sensitive to what happened in that area," Tallon said.
Tallon wants to teach her son, Paddy, to be tolerant of other religions. But she wonders if other religions, like Islam, are teaching their children to be tolerant of hers. There are other places in the city, she said, for another mosque.

"I don't think that they would build a German cultural center right near Auschwitz. Just because you're looking at what happened to the people that died there. That's all that should be focused on," Tallon said.

The organizations publicly unveiled the preliminary plan for the project, known as the Cordoba House, on Wednesday at a meeting of the finance committee of the local community board, which is composed of influential stakeholders in lower Manhattan. While the agency has no authority over what can be developed at the site, their support is viewed as key to gaining acceptance from residents....

http://kdka.com/national/ground.zero.mosque.2.1680415.html

This is fucking ridiculous. I don't know what's worse, that New York is apparently signing off on this or that Americans are once again being painted as the intolerant ones. I think these Imams should campaign for a Church near Mecca as a way of showing that their tolerant as well.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
BF - you wonder why I am pissed off? 

I live here!

Fury

• Getbig V
BF - you wonder why I am pissed off?  

I live here!

I believe Spencer hit the nail on the head with his assessment of this shit. "But there are two problems here: 1. Islamic jihad was the motivation behind those attacks, and 2. it is Islam that has a problem with tolerance, as is made clear by its own texts and teachings (one may start with Qur'an 9:29, 98:6), and the abundance of Islamic nations cited as "Countries of Particular Concern" in the annual report of the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom."

This is a slap in the face to anyone who lost a family member or friend in 9/11. Disgusting.

It's amazing that 10 of the 13 worst violators of religious freedoms are Islamic countries and yet WE'RE the intolerant ones? And the media and apologists will still claim that! Where's that fucktard Muslim Jag to parrot that shit?  ::)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
I hope the fucking thing gets burned to the ground before it is completed. Only in this country could something so obscene take place. Perhaps these muslim cockroaches would support several churches being built across sites in the middle east where the crusades occured to show that Christianity had nothing to do with the crusades. Maybe Japan will let America build some United States cultural centers in Hiroshima and Nagasaki to demonstrate that the nukes we dropped on them had nothing to do with America. What a sick, twisted, disgusting and suicidal project for my country and my city.

Amazing that 10 years after the fact there is still a gaping hole in the ground with nothing, but now we have to build a 15 story monnument to the bottom feeding filth that attacked us.

I can't stand Obama and the dems, but I can tolerate them being in power because it's a temporary thing. However, things like this make me hate my country.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
It makes me hate my fellow NY'ers who applaud this crap. 

GW - this clip needs listening to every day. 

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
When will Muslims prove their tolerance toward other religions?
RIP Bob Probert

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
When there are no others left. 

12secGT

• Getbig III
To me, this is as significant as flying the confederate flag in Harlem.

But no one is willing to stand up and say this mosque is not a good idea in fear they will be ridiculed.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
lol

Yes-- to prove that the confederacy had nothing to do with racism or slavery.

Anyone else have any other absurd monuments that could be imposed to insult the local population?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The local population in manhattan sucks! 

The real heart of the City is in the bouroughs. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
I'm sure the apologists are jerking off in their pants thinking about this nonsense.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
That's crazy talk, BF!

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
This is like spitting on the dead.

saopl

• Getbig III
they sure do have some balls to do this.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
Everyone was dissing on Bush and now you are licking the balls of the black guy that is going to deliver America to its enemies... what a fucking shit hole the USA has become...
S

Fury

• Getbig V
Everyone was dissing on Bush and now you are licking the balls of the black guy that is going to deliver America to its enemies... what a fucking shit hole the USA has become...

I'd still take it over Europe. Have fun with Sharia Law being implemented at some point within the next 2 decades.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Kids being sent home for wearing American flags on cinco de mayo islamists want a church near ground zero...The political correctness in this country needs to be stopped.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
I'd still take it over Europe. Have fun with Sharia Law being implemented at some point within the next 2 decades.
I can't deny your argument, especially if you are talking about Britain and France... :-\
Countries like Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands are trying to change that...
S

Fury

• Getbig V
I can't deny your argument, especially if you are talking about Britain and France... :-\
Countries like Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands are trying to change that...

Yup, lot of respect for them finally putting their foot down. Belgium has already started getting threats from the jihadists.