Author Topic: Bob Chick??? could/would the IFBB ever consider these judging rules/standards?  (Read 894 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Years ago, I wrote to NPC pres Jim Manion about adding a major drug tested national level NPC contest.
This was the early 90's and the NPC Ironman Natural contests were popular.
Many others wrote and felt as I did within the NPC, the Team Universe was started as a result.
The fitness, figure and now bikini classes were all added due to demand and interest.
Thus, I have seen small but key changes happen in BB.

Would the IFBB pro div ever consider the following:

1. Enforce the existing lighting intensity standards listed within the IFBB rules and contest guidelines.
* All it would take is a photography light meter used at any serious photo session. Consistant lighting would be a BIG help in helping keeps judging more consistant from contest to contest.

2. Have a set distance the judges  sit from the BB on stage at EVERY pro contest.

3.Display the judges scores after each round,similar to other judges sports.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
Years ago, I wrote to NPC pres Jim Manion about adding a major drug tested national level NPC contest.
Many others wrote and felt as I did within the NPC, the Team Universe was started as a result.
The fitness, figure and now bikini classes were all added due to demand and interest.

1. Enforce the existing lighting intensity standards listed within the IFBB rules and contest guidelines.
* All it would take is a photography light meter used at any serious photo session. Consistant lighting would be a BIG help in helping keeps judging more consistant from contest to contest.

2. Have a set distance the judges  sit from the BB on stage at EVERY pro contest.

please die......enough with your boring schmoe questions :o :o

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

please die......enough with your boring schmoe questions :o :o

LOL, wow great reply and thoughtful addition to the thread.
I can see you as a lawyer, you can really argue your case in such an effective manner.
FYI, I have been on these forums since they started in 90's and still post .
Guess what? I aint going anywhere pal hehehe. I have heard plenty of crap and am immune at this pt.
LOL, a boring schmoe is the best you can do. At least be clever and funny ok.
If you don't like my posts, don't read 'em ...or suck a fart out of my dogs ass....your call chief :-*

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft

Lighting is set up the best it can be by the promoters that are putting on the show...obviously, there are considerations with the venue, space, available equipment, etc...whatever the lighting, its generally the same for every competitor.  Believe me, no promoter WANTS sub-par lighting...

They are used...at every contest...along with input from the photographers...nighttim e is slightly more challenging as lighting for entertainment can be much difficult to also be good for assessing physiques

Again...all subject to the space available and set up...and again, I'm looking for it being equal for everyone competing

I have no quarrel with that...it's been done years ago, though.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Thanks for the reply Bob. I just think that we need to try to keep the judging criteria as consistant and transparent as possible.
They have the actual leumens of light intensity range listed in the IFBB rules. For the judging they need to stick with it at every show.
You are right that the night show can be more flexible for the crowd.
I also think that a hard look at what makes an ideal physique needs to be done and enforced .

On a serious note Bob, we may not agree on all aspcts of BB , but at least you take the time to interact with reg fans like me and others.
Thanks again and all the best to your lovely wife and new child.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Howard, great questions with a great response from Bob.

I've run many contests over the years and always gave the lighting prime consideration, but even then it sometimes did not turn out the way it was meant to.

First of all have you ever tried to reason with the light man in charge of a major venue who is a member of the union?  You tell him what you want and what you need and he does it his way anyway and once that light is set, he ain't gonna change it.

That was the real lighting world on many an occasion over the years when you only had one venue and the same light guy each and every year.

In a smaller facility, you could do it yourself and it was usually done correctly but someone would always complain ... the TV guys want it his way, the photographers want it their way, and the guys who place way down the line blame the lighting anyway.

Believe it or not but when we first started promoting bodybuilding events, they were held on a basketball court after the lifting trophies were presented and all the weights were removed so that we could bring the ladder out to hang a 100 watt light-bulb from the basketball hoop.

SO you do gotta admit that there has been some improvements in ligting over the years.

Next, I'd also love to see some sort of electronic bulletin board showing the judges' scores immediately, but I do think that would lead to more problems other than solving any.

It would be interesting to see how it really would work though. In the past we'd do our best to post the judges' scores immediately after the trophies were presented but even that caused numerous problems.

As for the distance between the judges and the contestants ... I think this only became a concern at the Olympia where the height of the stage made the judges move back a considerable distance.

And that concern, I have to leave entirely up to the judging officials who I'm sure would object if they were too far away to make an intelligent decision.

Thanks for listening.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Howard, great questions with a great response from Bob.

I've run many 'contests over the years and always gave the lighting prime consideration, but even then it sometimes did not turn out the way it was meant to.

First of all have you ever tried to reason with the light man in charge of a major venue who is a member of the union?  You tell him what you want and what you need and he does it his way anyway and once that light is set, he ain't gonna change it.

That was the real lighting world on many an occasion over the years when you only had one venue and the same light guy each and every year.

In a smaller facility, you could do it yourself and it was usually done correctly but someone would always complain ... the TV guys want it his way, the photographers want it their way, and the guys who place way down the line blame the lighting anyway.

Believe it or not but when we first started promoting bodybuilding events, they were helf after the lifting trophies were presented and all the weights were removed so that we could bring the ladder out to hang a 100 watt light-bulb from basketball hoop.

SO you do gotta admit that there has been some improvements in ligting over the years.

Next, I'd love to see some sort of electronic bulletin board showing the judges' scores immediately, but I do think that would lead to more problems other than solving any.

Would be interesting to see how it really would work though. We'd do our best to post the judges' scores immediately after the trophies were presented but even that caused numerous problems.

As for the distance between the judges and the contestants ... I think only became a concern at the Olympia where the heighth of the stage made the judges move back a considerable distance.

And that concern, I have to leave entirely up to the judging officials who I'm sure would object if it was too far away to make an intelligent decision.

Thanks for listening.

Great post, thanks for adding to the thread! Do you have more thoughts on this? Please share 'em

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
dude, the minute you install drug tests, the sport dies.  period.

i've never used steroids and my only entrance into that realm will be when I'm 50 and my Jimmy stops working.  But I don't care who uses and who doesn't.  Hell, i have more respect for the health-minded guy who uses small dose HRT from his doc, than I do the "supplement guru" in my gym who takes 8 Advil a day, along with whatever ten supplements are new this month.

Anyway, the moment people can see bigger bodybuilders in their local gym than they do in magazines, the magazines will stop selling.  Then the supps stop selling.  Then we don't have $ for shows anymore.  The sport dies.  if you're a fan of BBing, and you prefer naturals, go to a natural show.  Unless you wanna kill the sport, leave the drug testing alone.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
dude, the minute you install drug tests, the sport dies.  period.

i've never used steroids and my only entrance into that realm will be when I'm 50 and my Jimmy stops working.  But I don't care who uses and who doesn't.  Hell, i have more respect for the health-minded guy who uses small dose HRT from his doc, than I do the "supplement guru" in my gym who takes 8 Advil a day, along with whatever supplement is new this month.

Anyway, the moment people can see bigger bodybuilders in their local gym than they do in magazines, the magazines will stop selling.  Then the supps stop selling.  Then we don't have $ for shows anymore.  The sport dies.  if you're a fan of BBing, and you prefer naturals, go to a natural show.  Unless you wanna kill the sport, leave the drug testing alone.
If you don't get too bored and fall asleep doing it, read my original post. I never said anything about drug testing, ONLY about the rules, lighting and judging standards.