Author Topic: 87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language  (Read 3954 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language
Rasmussen Reports ^ | 11 May 2010

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010
________________________ ______________________

Americans continue to overwhelmingly believe that English should be the official language of the United States and reject by sizable margins the idea that such a move is racist or a violation of free speech.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 87% of Adults favor making English the nation's official language. This is the highest level of support yet but in line with what voters have been saying for several years. Just nine percent (9%) disagree.

Eighty-three percent (83%) say a company doing business in this country should be allowed to require its employees to speak English. Eleven percent (11%) say companies should not be permitted to require their employees to speak English on the job. These views are unchanged from a year ago.

Only 10% of Americans say requiring people to speak English is a form of racism or bigotry. Eighty-four percent (84%) disagree and say that's not true.

Twelve percent (12%) believe that declaring English the official language would limit free speech in this country, but 78% feel otherwise and see no limits being placed on free speech.

(Excerpt) Read more at rasmussenreports.com ...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »
All racists.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »
I don't think it's racist at all for people to want to speak their native tongue, just as i don't think it's racist for hispanic people to have spanish radio, tv and newspapers in this country.  Language is important to all of us, so if english is the official language i still believe people should have every right to speak and learn which ever language they please. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
I don't think it's racist at all for people to want to speak their native tongue, just as i don't think it's racist for hispanic people to have spanish radio, tv and newspapers in this country.  Language is important to all of us, so if english is the official language i still believe people should have every right to speak and learn which ever language they please. 

What the hell does that have to do with anything? No one is saying they shouldn't be able to speak their native tongue.  ::)

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
What the hell does that have to do with anything? No one is saying they shouldn't be able to speak their native tongue.  ::)

It's a pretty slippery slope when you start mandating that everyone has to speak a certain language.  The great thing about our constitution is their never was anything put in there regarding this.  Perhaps because all languages are equal in this country and you have a right to communicate in whichever language you wish whether it be english or not. 
Abandon every hope...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »
It's a pretty slippery slope when you start mandating that everyone has to speak a certain language.  The great thing about our constitution is their never was anything put in there regarding this.  Perhaps because all languages are equal in this country and you have a right to communicate in whichever language you wish whether it be english or not. 

Everything is a slippery slope with you. Nothing but pure speculation and assumption.

Good thing you're in the minority on this issue.  :)

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »
Everything is a slippery slope with you. Nothing but pure speculation and assumption.

Good thing you're in the minority on this issue.  :)

Yep i am for now, but you'll see.  You start taking away freedom of language and giving it to the 'majority' and next thing you know we're all speaking mandarin in 20 years. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:56:52 AM »
Yet you have no problem infringing on my economic rights whatsoever.  Go figure. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
Yet you have no problem infringing on my economic rights whatsoever.  Go figure. 

how? by having you pay your share of taxes?   ::) yeah real infringement there.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 12:04:25 PM »
Please, you bend over backwards justifying every govt mandate, every got regulation, every govt infringement on my economic rights, yet you are crying over this?  GMAFB KC. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »
I've never really looked into this issue.  What would change if we made English the official language? 

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »
87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language.
13% Said "Que ?"

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »
87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language.
13% Said "Que ?"
hahhahaha  ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »

I believe people have every right to speak what ever language they want, but if they are to live in this country they should be required to speak passable English with no exceptions or be deported.

I have no problem with Spanish radio, tv, news papers etc..  What i have a problem with is the lack of respect immigrants, mainly Mexicans, who come to this country legally or illegally and do not learn the language.  As a result there are pubic school classes whose time is split in half to teach Spanish only speaking kids, Government agencies have to spend money on interpreters, Spanish documents, teachers etc..

It's complete fvcking bull shit.  You don't see Chinese, Russian, African immigrants not learning how to speak English.

Everyone gets 2 years to learn.  If you can't speak passable English by then, get the hell out of here.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »
I believe people have every right to speak what ever language they want, but if they are to live in this country they should be required to speak passable English with no exceptions or be deported.

I have no problem with Spanish radio, tv, news papers etc..  What i have a problem with is the lack of respect immigrants, mainly Mexicans, who come to this country legally or illegally and do not learn the language.  As a result there are pubic school classes whose time is split in half to teach Spanish only speaking kids, Government agencies have to spend money on interpreters, Spanish documents, teachers etc..

It's complete fvcking bull shit.  You don't see Chinese, Russian, African immigrants not learning how to speak English.

Everyone gets 2 years to learn.  If you can't speak passable English by then, get the hell out of here.
agreed...

you can speak any language you want but YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SPEAK ENGLISH...

its fuking idiotic that kids in Europe and Asia learn english but there are kids in the US that dont  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 09:58:51 PM »

It's an Ozmo sighting.   :)

Would adopting English as the official language require citizens to learn how to speak the language? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 10:09:02 PM »
It's an Ozmo sighting.   :)

Would adopting English as the official language require citizens to learn how to speak the language? 
I think it would be a step in the right direction, we could then justify requiring ppl to be able to speak and read english to be able to drive.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »
I think it would be a step in the right direction, we could then justify requiring ppl to be able to speak and read english to be able to drive.

Is that what adopting English as the official language would do?  I still don't understand whether this is something symbolic or whether it would allow the kinds of things you mentioned. 

Purge_WTF

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »
  Hell, if I had my way, even the ATM's would be english only in our country.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 01:22:14 AM »
Yep i am for now, but you'll see.  You start taking away freedom of language and giving it to the 'majority' and next thing you know we're all speaking mandarin in 20 years. 
This isn't TAKING anyone's freedom. It's GIVING everyone an opportunity to interact with all of their countrymen. People who don't want to speak English are raising kids who will not be able to converse with 87% of their fellow countrymen. In fact it should be considered child abuse to not teach your children the native tongue.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 02:27:29 AM »
And what percentage of the world is fluent in at least two languages?  Most native born Americans can't speak another language, many can barely speak English.    ;D

Yes, if you live in the US you should speak at least enough English to get by.  But you guys go from one extreme to the other.   Why force people to learn English?  Why make English the US official language?  That won't solve anything.

Wouldn't it be easier to just stop catering to Spanish speaking people?  Stop government forms in Spanish, stop ATMs in Spanish, stop phone assistance in Spanish, stop public schools in Spanish?  That's your real problem right there.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 02:31:48 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just stop catering to Spanish speaking people?  Stop government forms in Spanish, stop ATMs in Spanish, stop phone assistance in Spanish, stop public schools in Spanish?  That's your real problem right there.
You couldn't do this without getting sued for discrimination, which is why it needs to be mandated by law.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 03:58:23 AM »
You couldn't do this without getting sued for discrimination, which is why it needs to be mandated by law.
No, this is mandated by greed. They don't offer these services to Koreans, Chinese, etc. It 's a money thing, they don't want to help them, but take their money. And, what happens is that they get soo used to having it like that, that they expect everything that way. They will come in to certain and places and say in perfect English "Excuse me, you speak Spanish?", and if they are told "No", they then catch a hissy fit. And some places, you have to put things in writing in English, like filing charges, but they will ask, "Why can't I write it in Spanish?", because it's a legal document.
What you have now is huge pockets of people who are now incapable of communicating with the outside world, unless they "Speak Spanish". They can't read signs, many don't know how to get to their house, they don't know the address. All they know is "Down the street from the Popeyes". And then, many such as El Salvadorians, Hondorans,Guatamaleans are illiterate in their own language, and look at learning as for the birds.

SImply it would make way too much sense to have everything in one language, and far more green. Less ink used, less paper, less options to set for electronics,  and less excuses to be heard.       

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 05:25:41 AM »
No, this is mandated by greed. They don't offer these services to Koreans, Chinese, etc. It 's a money thing, they don't want to help them, but take their money. And, what happens is that they get soo used to having it like that, that they expect everything that way. They will come in to certain and places and say in perfect English "Excuse me, you speak Spanish?", and if they are told "No", they then catch a hissy fit. And some places, you have to put things in writing in English, like filing charges, but they will ask, "Why can't I write it in Spanish?", because it's a legal document.
What you have now is huge pockets of people who are now incapable of communicating with the outside world, unless they "Speak Spanish". They can't read signs, many don't know how to get to their house, they don't know the address. All they know is "Down the street from the Popeyes". And then, many such as El Salvadorians, Hondorans,Guatamaleans are illiterate in their own language, and look at learning as for the birds.

SImply it would make way too much sense to have everything in one language, and far more green. Less ink used, less paper, less options to set for electronics,  and less excuses to be heard.       

Exactly!

For the record, most of those El Salvadorians, Hondurans and Guatemalans are already fluent in two or more languages: Spanish, Garifuna, Miskito, and other indigenous languages.  But you are correct that though most of them can fluently speak these languages, they can neither read nor write in any language.