Author Topic: Any restaurant owners here?  (Read 3232 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Any restaurant owners here?
« on: May 13, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »

If you're opening a restaurant, which do you complete first: the seating area? Or the kitchen?

I'm thinking the kitchen comes first, but maybe you experts see it differently. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: Any restaurant owners here?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
If you're opening a restaurant, which do you complete first: the seating area? Or the kitchen?

I'm thinking the kitchen comes first, but maybe you experts see it differently. 
The kitchen, has to be gas, and all commercial Eq.
A

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
The kitchen but I wouldn't recommended anyone getting in that business. all work, no play, no life...if the owner does not clock in 16 hours the buisness will not succeed. Managers and GM eat you alive. I have grown up in the restaurants since I was born and my family from father to uncles (we are Greek) own diners, restaurants to high class cabarets but never seen a weekend without working the week all the way through. It's a very lucrative CASH business but you definetly have to out your time and sacrifice alot in your life to make it successful....my 2 cents. hope this helps.
JM

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
I would think the kitchen area just because of all the electrical, plumbing and gas and fire stuff needed.  Plus it is the kitchen that makes or breaks a restaurant.  But, I am sure Goodrum and Apenis will chime in since they are experts ;D
No Worries 4 me

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:54:29 PM »
The kitchen but I wouldn't recommended anyone getting in that business. all work, no play, no life...if the owner does not clock in 16 hours the buisness will not succeed. Managers and GM eat you alive. I have grown up in the restaurants since I was born and my family from father to uncles (we are Greek) own diners, restaurants to high class cabarets but never seen a weekend without working the week all the way through. It's a very lucrative CASH business but you definetly have to out your time and sacrifice alot in your life to make it successful....my 2 cents. hope this helps.

Spot on advice right there!  Don't get into the biz if you think you are going to be an absentee owner.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »
You can have the best kitchen equ. in the world but without a dining room it is useless.  You need to really focus on both.  have enough room for your staff to cook and also try to arrange the seats in a way to maximize patrons without making them feel cramped in.  A nice decor will get the customers to come in, good food will get them to come back.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
Thanks, guys, and I totally agree.

Baby mama needs access to a commercial kitchen (she makes caramel apples) and today a guy offered her a 5-year deal, saying she'd have 'virtually unlimited' use of the kitchen for the next 5 years in exchange for $15K cash.  He told her he'd sunk almost $200K into this new bistro that's presently open just 3 days a week in the evenings, because he can't afford to finish the kitchen and needs 15k to put in the burners and ovens.  He says if he can't get the money soon, he may have to close altogether and file bankruptcy.  

Now, I haven't met the guy myself, but she wants me to front the money.  He told her that 'my money would be safe' if he did have to close down.  Uh, yeah.  ::)

But the issue for me is really simple - I know the restaurant business is tough, but seems to me that it would've been smarter to finish the kitchen first, because a business that can produce food can make sales.  And I'm just not keen on investing with people who make stupid business decisions.

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »
Find a catering kitchen and work a deal out with them. Much easier solutions and you won't need to dump 15k.
JM

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »
the question is...."is there NOT any restaurant owners here"

it is just one of the many ways the getbig billionaires club likes to diversify, and keep their assets working for them as they live international lives of leisure

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »
Thanks, guys, and I totally agree.

Baby mama needs access to a commercial kitchen (she makes caramel apples) and today a guy offered her a 5-year deal, saying she'd have 'virtually unlimited' use of the kitchen for the next 5 years in exchange for $15K cash.  He told her he'd sunk almost $200K into this new bistro that's presently open just 3 days a week in the evenings, because he can't afford to finish the kitchen and needs 15k to put in the burners and ovens.  He says if he can't get the money soon, he may have to close altogether and file bankruptcy.  

Now, I haven't met the guy myself, but she wants me to front the money.  He told her that 'my money would be safe' if he did have to close down.  Uh, yeah.  ::)

But the issue for me is really simple - I know the restaurant business is tough, but seems to me that it would've been smarter to finish the kitchen first, because a business that can produce food can make sales.  And I'm just not keen on investing with people who make stupid business decisions.

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 01:42:08 PM »
SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I'm saying.  How many potential investors has he sung this 'all I need is 15k' song to? 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »

Greek food?  One of my favorites.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
That's what I'm saying.  How many potential investors has he sung this 'all I need is 15k' song to? 

Seriously Tre...if you cough up that cash I'm coming to find you and personally beat sense into you...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
Tre, I have a business plan you should invest in....it's only $7500 start-up....wire me the money and I will get you the details on this can't miss opportunity.  :D

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
oh...and nude pics of the baby momma or she doesn't exist...sorry, had to throw that in...

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »
seating capacity is usually set by the fire marshall in this area.  are you near the projects? cause if you are you dont need alotta seating   lol

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »
seating capacity is usually set by the fire marshall in this area.  are you near the projects? cause if you are you dont need alotta seating   lol

Unless it's a Bojangles or KFC......

.man that was a cheap shot...... :-\

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 02:27:21 PM »
I'm not an owner but I finance a TON of restaurant equipment for startups. Over 60% of them fail, a very tough business.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
Unless it's a Bojangles or KFC......

.man that was a cheap shot...... :-\
the drive through is what's busy at the KFC, popeye's, tacobells around here.  too many homeless at the seats waiting for the shelter to open

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »
You can make money in the restaurant, believe me i know. The failure rate is high, something around 70% closes within the first year. And around 4-5 years for you to see any real profit.
A