Author Topic: The CHIN-UP Thread  (Read 4885 times)

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: The CHIN-UP Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 05:12:40 AM »
I try and start every back workout with chins but I've always done weighted chins - usually about 30lbs. I was once up around 50 but was getting shoulder pain. I've no idea what my max number without weight would be - I tried once a few years ago and stopped around 22 or so. I don't really feel like I've had a back workout if I don't chin.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 06:04:24 AM »
I try and start every back workout with chins but I've always done weighted chins - usually about 30lbs. I was once up around 50 but was getting shoulder pain. I've no idea what my max number without weight would be - I tried once a few years ago and stopped around 22 or so. I don't really feel like I've had a back workout if I don't chin.

It isn't my shoulders that bother we with weighted chins, it's my elbows that start to bother the hell out of me. I can work up to a 70lb for 3-4 reps if I have been doing them for the last two-three workouts. Personal best was 5 reps with an 80lb after I had done weighted chins for about 2 months straight. Elbows started to hurt like hell so I swapped back to body weight chins. Problem went away. Also, I'm just a 180lb twink so that factors in a lot.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 06:26:10 AM »
80 added pounds for 5? Props man! That sure beats my 50 added pounds for 8 :> P.S. When I'm in top shape, I'm a 160 pound twink LOL

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 06:39:14 AM »
If you do your chins with rings instead of a straight bar, they don't hurt your elbows.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »
If you do your chins with rings instead of a straight bar, they don't hurt your elbows.

I've never had access to rings, but chins and dips do look like they could be a bit ninja on them. I've always fancied seeing whether or not if I could do a muscleup on them.

Ah, yes that vid. You failed to mention that he had a torn tricep and he had to do burpees as well. You also failed to mention he was doing a full training rep for him. Which means his mind was accustomed to the variation that puts more stress on the lats. Full reps or perfect form sometimes mean shit, look at Ronnie  Coleman or Bertil Fox (who was famous for bad form). Now imagine them in their prime and you walking up to them and chastising them for their "lack of full reps"

If we really want to question full reps, look at Phil Heath's first vid, he is training legs and it seems he is doing quarter reps on the leg press...now I can see someone WTFing on that.

Hahaha, Couldn't do a chin up because he had done some burpees!

He's gonna be fucked when the zombie armageddon happens.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
chin-ups are nice

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
I've never had access to rings, but chins and dips do look like they could be a bit ninja on them. I've always fancied seeing whether or not if I could do a muscleup on them.

Hahaha, Couldn't do a chin up because he had done some burpees!

He's gonna be fucked when the zombie armageddon happens.
He did like 8-10 good reps, but the rest were  :-\.
As I said, he had a torn tricep, so who knows why he there for try outs...the show didn't last that long anyway...

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »