Author Topic: Because of your dad?  (Read 6221 times)

Nomad_Warrior

• Getbig II
Because of your dad?
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:15:47 PM »
Just curios, who here started bodybuilding because of their father? 

I mean directly, like he was a bodybuilder and he showed you the ropes, or inderectly like he was a big strong guy and you admired him and got into weightlifting to be like him.

Personally my grandpa was a powerlifter back in the 50's, he competed in the under 146 class.  He used to tell me stories about him hustling people at the local YMCA in Chicago, because he was so small but could easily bench and squat over 300.  He would bet bigger guys that he could lift more than them and the suckers would take it.  He used to use that money to buy gifts for my grandma to try and swoon her when they first started dating.

My Dad has been an ameture bodybuilder his whole life.  He showed me the ropes when I was young and to this day we still are competetive with one another about our workouts and our physiques. 

Bodybuilding is by the far the best thing my father ever taught me!

Please, share your stories.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Because of your dad?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
yeah,my dad was a great training partner ,and he still trains at 65 and can press 70's on dumbell for chest.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »
Never really trained with him, but he has always been fit.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:48:06 PM »
yup dad was a bodybuilder when he was younger, had a good sized gym in our garage

power rack that you could attach a leverage press to enabling you to do bench, shoulder presses and leg presses.
dipping bars
pull down machine
leg ext/leg curl machine
Curl machine
DB's and BB's

all hand made by my dad and my grandpa

my dad is still the best workout partner ive ever had

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 12:25:07 AM »
the ChemistV2  's   father was a pro golfer who was featured in a muscle mag in the early 80's for his weight training. i couldn't imagine that kind of inspiration.  later he was also featured in a mag.  lucky bugger!!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:03:08 AM »
As negative as it sounds, I think you'll find it's probably more likely that NOT having a father caused some people to take up bodybuilding.

Future bodybuilders whose fathers left home when they were children due to marital breakdown may have left these individuals deprived of a male role-model which therefore fostered feelings of inadequacy and the need to feel stronger and more powerful to make up for the lack of masculine authority in their lives. They then take up bodybuilding as a result. There have been several studies done on it, I'll try and find some.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 06:13:53 AM »
My dad does a little training because of me.he was always active,golf,softball and such but never into weights.

Nomad_Warrior

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
As negative as it sounds, I think you'll find it's probably more likely that NOT having a father caused some people to take up bodybuilding.

Future bodybuilders whose fathers left home when they were children due to marital breakdown may have left these individuals deprived of a male role-model which therefore fostered feelings of inadequacy and the need to feel stronger and more powerful to make up for the lack of masculine authority in their lives. They then take up bodybuilding as a result. There have been several studies done on it, I'll try and find some.

That is interesting and seems pretty logical, but I would like to see some statistics or research.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »
That is interesting and seems pretty logical, but I would like to see some statistics or research.

There's a section on it mentioned in the book "Little Big Men" by Alan Klein where it discusses authority figures, namely fathers in relation to bodybuilding. It on p124 onwards but I'm unable to copy and paste because I found it through Google Books and there's no option. The whole book is a good read actually - very interesting and makes you look at bodybuilding in a different perspective.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:04:24 PM »

my dad told me lifting weights were for poofs - and that real men use knives not muscles to win fights  ;D

175lbs by 31st July

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
My step dad was really into bodybuilding, but he never lifted. While my mum was at work he would often parade around the house in a thong and get me to help apply his posing oil.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »
My step dad was really into bodybuilding, but he never lifted. While my mum was at work he would often parade around the house in a thong and get me to help apply his posing oil.

sounds healthy

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
my step father told me lifting weights put a strain on your heart and wasn't good and he didn't understand why I did it.

He later died of heart attack due to his clogged arteries via poor his eating habits and zero fitness routines he developed in his lifetime.

the anabolic mon

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
my step father told me lifting weights put a strain on your heart and wasn't good and he didn't understand why I did it.

He later died of heart attack due to his clogged arteries via poor his eating habits and zero fitness routines he developed in his lifetime.

Same here. The "Old Man" had smoked since he was 12, and keeled over at 65 from COPD. One time he said benching 135 was nothing. He got under the bar, and couldn't move it off the uprights. He never said another word after that.  ;D

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
good thread
I

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 01:30:22 AM »
There's a section on it mentioned in the book "Little Big Men" by Alan Klein where it discusses authority figures, namely fathers in relation to bodybuilding. It on p124 onwards but I'm unable to copy and paste because I found it through Google Books and there's no option. The whole book is a good read actually - very interesting and makes you look at bodybuilding in a different perspective.

"alt+Prt Scr"

will screen capture and then you just paste into an image app or ms word.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
"alt+Prt Scr"

will screen capture and then you just paste into an image app or ms word.

Ah, good stuff - noted.

DSM18

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
my dad was a homo.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »

I don't put much cred in those studies, if only because sons without fathers (as role models or otherwise) will do just about anything to 'prove' their worth in one way or another.  Some decide to go to college, others become successful businessmen.  I'm not convinced of the current view espoused by books such as "Little Big Men" where most bodybuilders are lifting weights to somehow win 'daddy's love' or something like that.

lift 456

• Getbig III
  • Italian Stallion
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:53 AM »
no sugar daddy thread, please
I

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 04:59:24 AM »
my dad does alot of coke & fucks whores he passed that down to me...
DAWG

Campeon Del Mundo

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
  My dad was a career desk jockey in the Air Force.  He had no hobbies or any interests and spent his retirement years staring at tv...

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
My dad started lifting weights because of me .

Alexander D

• Getbig IV
  • Johnny Falcon for President
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
I started working out before of your mom.