Author Topic: FATHER TOUCHED BY WRESTLING TRAGEDY SPEAKS OUT AGAINST MCMAHON:  (Read 4812 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Watching from afar, I've observed with interest the U.S. Senate campaign in Connecticut because of my experiences with Linda McMahon and her business, World Wrestling Entertainment. While she spends millions of dollars earned through her professional wrestling empire to flood Connecticut's airwaves and mailboxes promoting her Republican candidacy, state voters should know there is another side to McMahon and the WWE.

My son, Chris Benoit, 40, was one of WWE's top superstars. In June 2007, our lives changed dramatically, when he tragically killed his wife, son and himself. The press jumped on steroids as the cause of his actions. But tests showed that brain damage in the form of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE, not steroids, was responsible for our loss. CTE, caused by repetitive trauma to the brain, can bring on serious disorders such as a loss of emotional control, addictions to drugs and alcohol, depression, aggressive and violent behavior.

Most people view wrestling as fake and the McMahon family pushed that theory to avoid regulation. But in its lust for higher ratings and dollars, WWE began demanding that performers use more weapons and dangerous stunts in wrestling matches. Although matches are rigged and scripted, the harsh physical abuse in the form of blunt force steel chair shots to the head and power bombs through tables onto cement floors are real. I believe that this change in the industry is responsible for the majority of deaths it experienced in the last 20 years.

Another WWE wrestler, Andrew Martin, was 33 when he died. What did Andrew Martin have in common with my son? He was one of many of McMahon's former wrestlers who died prematurely, and he was the second wrestler to have his brain examined for signs of CTE after death. Martin had the same shocking brain damage as my son. The human skull is not designed to withstand and protect the brain from the abuse the McMahon's insisted their wrestlers endure. Yet, since the late '80s, these are the matches into which the McMahon's have pushed their talent.

USA Today in 2004 published research stating that wrestlers are 20 times more likely to die before the age of 45 than are pro football players. What has the McMahon family done to make pro wrestling safer? They will spend up to $50 million to get Linda elected to a position where she could head off any effort to regulate their business.

The WWE and Linda McMahon evade any responsibility for the early deaths that their industry suffers at an astronomical rate. After the Martin tests were completed, I sought to educate the McMahons about the scientific findings on brain trauma and how their wrestling stunts could cause this serious and fatal health issue. They were having none of it. It was clear, the McMahons were more interested in making hundreds of millions of dollars at the expense of these wrestlers, whom they regard as little more than circus animals to be ridden until their value expires.

On CNN in 2007, Vince McMahon, Linda's husband, said they had stopped wrestlers from smashing each other's heads with chairs. That practice, however, was not ended until January of this year — scores of "head shots" later. There are still all sorts of weapons and stunts that the McMahons use to equally dangerous effect. For a sport that is "fake," there is an all too disturbing reality.

You might say that these young wrestlers make their own choices, and that is true. And the McMahons entice them with prospects for fame, wealth and glory that few achieve. If this were any other business or sport, there would be congressional hearings and laws passed to reform this dirty and dangerous enterprise. The McMahons have steadfastly held that wrestlers are just independent contractors and not entitled to health care benefits, pensions or unionization to represent their best interests.

This is how Linda McMahon made the money she uses for her Senate race. This is how she ran her business. This is the true character behind the fancy, Hollywood advertisements. I pray the people of Connecticut do not allow her to buy her way into the world's most distinguished legislative body.

•Michael Benoit lives in Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada.

credit: http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-hc-benoit-wwe-mcmahon-0519.artmay19,0,777313.story

Montague

• Getbig V
Re: FATHER TOUCHED BY WRESTLING TRAGEDY SPEAKS OUT AGAINST MCMAHON:
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
With all due respect to Mr. Benoit, there are a few points to which I’d like to respond - particularly the statements above that I’ve highlighted in red.

I have no doubt that the tests revealed the condition described.
And - as a medical student myself - I wholeheartedly believe that CTE trauma can cause the disorders mentioned.

For comparison purposes, we already know that - due to differences in individual biochemistry and personality types - different people respond in a variety of ways to anabolic steroids.
A popular belief among many experts now (that I also agree with) is that steroids are more "mood-enhancing" than "mood-altering" - meaning they intensify your natural tendencies.
If steroids had the same unconditional effect on everyone, then everyone who uses them would act the same way, and we know that this is simply not true.

I suspect a similar scenario pertains to CTE.
It’s highly unlikely, but, even if Chris Benoit and Andrew Martin were the only two case studies of CTE, we can clearly see a major difference: Benoit murdered 3 people; Martin murdered 0.

Realistically, Chris Benoit & Andrew Martin were/are certainly not the only professional wrestlers to suffer from this condition.
If loss of emotional control and ultra-violent behavior were directly attributed to CTE trauma, then I believe we would see a lot more wrestlers who’ve taken as many (and more) head bumps engaging in seriously violent acts.
Rather, I hypothesize that (like steroids) the tendencies that CTE facilitate are ones that are already inherent in the individual - in which case, the hard reality is that, deep down, Chris Benoit was a murderer to begin with. CTE merely caused those repressed tendencies to manifest.

One final point I’d like to touch upon is the blame placed on WWE for “pushing their talent” into the kinds of matches that lead to CTE.
Again, this seems analogous to accusations Vince McMahon faced in the Zahorian trial - that McMahon forced his talent to use anabolic enhancement.
The most they could get Vince for was “implied encouragement” based on a perceived rewards system that saw primarily the physically bigger guys getting the biggest pushes.
The same scenario is quite believable as it pertains to higher-risk matches receiving larger paychecks.

Wrestlers have been employing an increasingly “extreme” style of performing well before now, and in places besides the WWE.
Chris Benoit spent a great deal of his pre-WWE career wrestling between the original WCW, ECW, and Japan - the latter two being notorious for their high impact styles.

Once again - regardless of what you think of the man - the surmounting evidence seems to indicate the unfairness in blaming Vince McMahon for the entirety of the Benoit tragedy, as Mike Benoit is so quick to do.

I’m not an expert.
I just read and think a lot.
These are my opinions; I could be wrong.

Montague

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »
Seems like a personal vendetta against Lindas run for office. His opinion really shouldn't matter since he's Canadian, but if he makes some noise, Americans will listen.

Will he achieve his goal?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
he wasnt forced to wrestle.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
Seems like a personal vendetta against Lindas run for office. His opinion really shouldn't matter since he's Canadian, but if he makes some noise, Americans will listen.

Will he achieve his goal?

My opinion?
That was 2007.
I think that most people had already formed their opinions (the majority of them inaccurate) concerning what happened within the first week, and the bottom line is that Vince came off looking like just as big a villain as Benoit - by all media accounts.

Even not knowing what did/didn’t/or may have caused Benoit to snap, they need only be reminded of that July night in 2007.
Mike Benoit’s letter did just that.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if Simmons’ camp was responsible for Benoit’s participation.
It probably would not have looked appropriate for Simmons (McMahon‘s opponent) to bring up the issue, so they found an easy and effective way around it.
Of course, that's pure speculation on my part.

I certainly wouldn’t put this kind of stunt past any politician running for a high-level position.
Linda is said to have spent an inordinate amount of money digging up dirt on Blumenthal - producing video evidence of his fabricated military background.
So, it's hard to say either way.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »

My opinion?

Are you Canadian?

If so, my condolences.

I meant Benoits dad. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Are you Canadian?

If so, my condolences.

I meant Benoits dad. ;)

No, no...
I meant, " if you're asking my opinion," or "in my opinion."
I didn't even make that connection until now.
 ;D

But, be careful - one of our best posters is Canadian, although, I think he's on vacation this week.
BTW - nice work with the "Bulking" thread upstairs.
 ;)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:07:48 PM »

No, no...
I meant, " if you're asking my opinion," or "in my opinion."
I didn't even make that connection until now.
 ;D

But, be careful - one of our best posters is Canadian, although, I think he's on vacation this week.
BTW - nice work with the "Bulking" thread upstairs.
 ;)

Who's teh crazy canuck?

Yeah, that thread will be gone soon, just having some fun.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »
This just comes across as a grieving father wanting to point the blame of a horrible tragedy away from his son.  Who can really blame him, in that respect.....nobody wants to think the son they raised would grow up to kill his wife, little boy and himself.....so they look to a "reason" and it's so easy to put the blame on McMahon.  I can't stand VKM for what he's done to the wrestling industry, but I don't blame him for this situation.  Look at the number of wrestlers who've died an early death/had health issues, who never even wrestled for Vince. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »
^^ Yep.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:29:36 AM »
This is so STUPID that it's not even funny.

It's PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING. Wrestling without chairshots is like peanut butter without jelly.

If Benoit was suffering head problems, he should have gone to Vince McMahon and asked to adapt his wrestling style, to diminish the head shots (i.e. cease with the flying headbutt).

Benoit worked for WCW and ECW, FOR YEARS. Why isn't he wailing against Eric Bischoff or Paul Heyman?

There's only one man responsible for what happened to Chris Benoit's family......CHRIS BENOIT, not Vince McMahon, Linda McMahon or anyone else in WWE. Put the blame where it belongs and cease with the denial, I say to Michael Benoit.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:32:26 AM »
This just comes across as a grieving father wanting to point the blame of a horrible tragedy away from his son.  Who can really blame him, in that respect.....nobody wants to think the son they raised would grow up to kill his wife, little boy and himself.....so they look to a "reason" and it's so easy to put the blame on McMahon.  I can't stand VKM for what he's done to the wrestling industry, but I don't blame him for this situation.  Look at the number of wrestlers who've died an early death/had health issues, who never even wrestled for Vince. 

What has McMahon done to the wrestling industry, that's so terrible?

He's filled football stadiums, make wrestlers household names, given them millions of dollars, launched movie careers.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 06:16:26 AM »
What has McMahon done to the wrestling industry, that's so terrible?

He's filled football stadiums, make wrestlers household names, given them millions of dollars, launched movie careers.

Killed territory wrestling years ago, which was the best option BY FAR for fans.  You had new talent rotating thru, not to mention being able to see live wrestling on a very regular basis in your area that was high-quality. 
Has he made money?  Sure.  For years promoters had "gentleman's agreements" to not step on each others toes, VKM squashed that and nothing but pure greed won out.  Sure, people will say "It's a business and he just did what he did for the money..."   not arguing that point, but I'm speaking from being strictly a wrestling fan.,,,he destroyed the wrestling I grew up on as a kid, and I will never forgive him for it.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »

Killed territory wrestling years ago, which was the best option BY FAR for fans.  You had new talent rotating thru, not to mention being able to see live wrestling on a very regular basis in your area that was high-quality. 
Has he made money?  Sure.  For years promoters had "gentleman's agreements" to not step on each others toes, VKM squashed that and nothing but pure greed won out.  Sure, people will say "It's a business and he just did what he did for the money..."   not arguing that point, but I'm speaking from being strictly a wrestling fan.,,,he destroyed the wrestling I grew up on as a kid, and I will never forgive him for it.
Sounds like you should sit down for a few sessions with Dr Phil. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »

Well, either Mike Benoit’s memoirs didn’t reach enough people, and/or they didn’t have enough of an effect on those they did reach.
Linda won the Connecticut GOP nod in the senate primary last week.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 08:42:57 AM »
Sounds like you should sit down for a few sessions with Dr Phil. ;D

I'd give ole Phil a couple of chops.....and then clamp on the figure-four....."Now, we go to school !!!!!!!  Whooooooooooooooo !!!"  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 05:59:24 AM »
Every generation of wrestling fans believe that they're generation was the best. My Dad didn't like Hulkamania. He was all about Bruno. I loved 80's wrestling because that was my generation. But ask the attitude era what they think about the 80's. Ask my nephews what they think about wrestling now compared to the 80's. Wouldn't work. VKM made it happen. The World is changing at such a rapid pace. It's amazing what this guy has done. Who cares about the indies. VKM is wrestlings greatest superstar.

Nope.  Like all the points I made in my origianal post, there is a reason almost every single person who is/was a fan talk about the product being stale and lame.  VKM being the only major player in town has ruined it.  Territories allowed guys to move around and not become stale.  Honestly, you admit to ONLY watching the WWF, so you really don't know enough about the territory wrestling to have an opinion on it.

You are such a WWF guy that you can't see the forest for the tree's....you would be watching it if VKM just came to the ring and wrestled a stuffed monkey.   ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
With all due respect to Mr. Benoit, there are a few points to which I’d like to respond - particularly the statements above that I’ve highlighted in red.

I have no doubt that the tests revealed the condition described.
And - as a medical student myself - I wholeheartedly believe that CTE trauma can cause the disorders mentioned.

For comparison purposes, we already know that - due to differences in individual biochemistry and personality types - different people respond in a variety of ways to anabolic steroids.
A popular belief among many experts now (that I also agree with) is that steroids are more "mood-enhancing" than "mood-altering" - meaning they intensify your natural tendencies.
If steroids had the same unconditional effect on everyone, then everyone who uses them would act the same way, and we know that this is simply not true.

I suspect a similar scenario pertains to CTE.
It’s highly unlikely, but, even if Chris Benoit and Andrew Martin were the only two case studies of CTE, we can clearly see a major difference: Benoit murdered 3 people; Martin murdered 0.

Realistically, Chris Benoit & Andrew Martin were/are certainly not the only professional wrestlers to suffer from this condition.
If loss of emotional control and ultra-violent behavior were directly attributed to CTE trauma, then I believe we would see a lot more wrestlers who’ve taken as many (and more) head bumps engaging in seriously violent acts.
Rather, I hypothesize that (like steroids) the tendencies that CTE facilitate are ones that are already inherent in the individual - in which case, the hard reality is that, deep down, Chris Benoit was a murderer to begin with. CTE merely caused those repressed tendencies to manifest.

One final point I’d like to touch upon is the blame placed on WWE for “pushing their talent” into the kinds of matches that lead to CTE.
Again, this seems analogous to accusations Vince McMahon faced in the Zahorian trial - that McMahon forced his talent to use anabolic enhancement.
The most they could get Vince for was “implied encouragement” based on a perceived rewards system that saw primarily the physically bigger guys getting the biggest pushes.
The same scenario is quite believable as it pertains to higher-risk matches receiving larger paychecks.

Wrestlers have been employing an increasingly “extreme” style of performing well before now, and in places besides the WWE.
Chris Benoit spent a great deal of his pre-WWE career wrestling between the original WCW, ECW, and Japan - the latter two being notorious for their high impact styles.

Once again - regardless of what you think of the man - the surmounting evidence seems to indicate the unfairness in blaming Vince McMahon for the entirety of the Benoit tragedy, as Mike Benoit is so quick to do.

I’m not an expert.
I just read and think a lot.
These are my opinions; I could be wrong.

Montague

I think your 100% spot on and I have to also add that how in the world is it supposed to be McMahon's fault that Benoit murdered??? The entire paparazzi and media frenzy point the finger at Vince. Vince is a CEO, not a babysitter. What his wrestlers do on their time is their responsability, not McMahon's. As fpr Linda, politics are very dirty and dirty points are always brought up to try and ruin another's campaigne. Look at how they brought up "steroids" when Arnold ran for california. Its a joke.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
Michael Benoit will be a guest on the ABC prime time special edition of Nightline.

The broadcast will air in a special timeslot of 10:00PM on Thursday night.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:08:52 PM »
Michael Benoit will be a guest on the ABC prime time special edition of Nightline.

The broadcast will air in a special timeslot of 10:00PM on Thursday night.

Oh ya...let the witch hunt begin.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
I believe this is simply another attempt to damage Linda's chances in November.

Benoit's letter from several months ago failed to prevent her from securing the Republican party nomination, but I'll bet they're clinging to the hope that they can appeal to enough of this Fall's voters to block her from taking that senate seat.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:37 AM »
I believe this is simply another attempt to damage Linda's chances in November.

Benoit's letter from several months ago failed to prevent her from securing the Republican party nomination, but I'll bet they're clinging to the hope that they can appeal to enough of this Fall's voters to block her from taking that senate seat.

That's exactly what it is. Just like when Arnold went for Governer...they brought up how he "used steroids".

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »
Here is a recap of Michael Benoit's interview on the ABC show "Nightline" courtesy of Terri Bey and F4WOnline.com ...

The subject of the show is about how brains in murderers may work.
Mike Benoit said Chris always wanted to be a wrestler. The show gives an overview of Chris Benoit's career. Michael Benoit said the Benoit we saw in the ring was not the Benoit he knew. He said he knew Chris as a devoted dad. The show goes over the June 2007 murder/suicide. The show reveals that Chris Benoit looked up the prophet Elijah on the internet.. One story from Elijah was about how a prophet could rise a child from the dead and lay him on his own bed. They reveal that Daniel was laying in his bed.
Michael Benoit then said he watched tv 24 hours a day waiting to hear someone say something nice about his son, and he said it wasn't happening. He said the event was a nightmare.
Dr. Julian Bailes wanted to examine Chris' brain, and he said that Chris Benoit's brain had a neurobehavioral change much like the athletes' brains Dr. Bailes studied. They went over Benoit's being hit with chairs, ladders, etc. Michael said his son told him that he had so many concussions, he stopped counting.
The show talks about the media coverage of the case focusing on "roid rage." Toxology reports revealed that Chris Benoit had steroids in his system. Dr. Bailes said since the murders happened over the course of three days, he didn't think that roid rage which is a snap judgement/emotions. He didn't think roid rage explained his behavior. Michael questioned the roid rage explanation, and wanted answers so he allowed his son's brain for research.
Michael Benoit then talked about his son's accomplishments and he said his son destroyed that image in three days.
When brain was examined, the examination revealed Benoit's brain was extensively damaged. They talked about how Pittsburgh Steeler center Mike Webster was a shell of himself when he retired. Webster died homeless. Webster's brain was examined. They talk about a condition called CTE, which the doctor wants to call "Mike Webster's Disease." Dr. Bailes said Webster's and Benoit's brains were similarly damaged.
Michael Benoit said the research gave him a good understanding of what happened to his son. He still gets emotional hearing that his son's brain was heavily damaged. He said he thought that is why Chris suffered from insomnia, mood swings, and drank heavily right before the tragedy happened. He said Chris was going downhill. He said Chris had become an extremely religious person who could quote Bible Scriptures and that is not how Chris was. Dr. Bailes said in some cases a person with this sort of brain damage can develop a religiosity and he thinks it is very likely the case with Chris Benoit.
Michael Benoit feels that if his son had not become a professional wrestler, Chris would still be alive.
The show revealed that WWE has questioned these medical findings and said that Michael Benoit's claim that head trauma cause his son's behaviour is impossible and said if Benoit had brain damage, he would not have been able to perform as a wrestler.
Michael Benoit , in response to those who say his son's brain damage is an excuse said, "What's their excuse?" and reiterated that his son's choice of profession was the reason his son committed the tragedy.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____________

In response to the above, I can only say one thing...

GRAMMAR, MOTHER-FUKKER; LEARN IT!!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:53 AM »
Here is a recap of Michael Benoit's interview on the ABC show "Nightline" courtesy of Terri Bey and F4WOnline.com ...

The subject of the show is about how brains in murderers may work.
Mike Benoit said Chris always wanted to be a wrestler. The show gives an overview of Chris Benoit's career. Michael Benoit said the Benoit we saw in the ring was not the Benoit he knew. He said he knew Chris as a devoted dad. The show goes over the June 2007 murder/suicide. The show reveals that Chris Benoit looked up the prophet Elijah on the internet.. One story from Elijah was about how a prophet could rise a child from the dead and lay him on his own bed. They reveal that Daniel was laying in his bed.
Michael Benoit then said he watched tv 24 hours a day waiting to hear someone say something nice about his son, and he said it wasn't happening. He said the event was a nightmare.
Dr. Julian Bailes wanted to examine Chris' brain, and he said that Chris Benoit's brain had a neurobehavioral change much like the athletes' brains Dr. Bailes studied. They went over Benoit's being hit with chairs, ladders, etc. Michael said his son told him that he had so many concussions, he stopped counting.
The show talks about the media coverage of the case focusing on "roid rage." Toxology reports revealed that Chris Benoit had steroids in his system. Dr. Bailes said since the murders happened over the course of three days, he didn't think that roid rage which is a snap judgement/emotions. He didn't think roid rage explained his behavior. Michael questioned the roid rage explanation, and wanted answers so he allowed his son's brain for research.
Michael Benoit then talked about his son's accomplishments and he said his son destroyed that image in three days.
When brain was examined, the examination revealed Benoit's brain was extensively damaged. They talked about how Pittsburgh Steeler center Mike Webster was a shell of himself when he retired. Webster died homeless. Webster's brain was examined. They talk about a condition called CTE, which the doctor wants to call "Mike Webster's Disease." Dr. Bailes said Webster's and Benoit's brains were similarly damaged.
Michael Benoit said the research gave him a good understanding of what happened to his son. He still gets emotional hearing that his son's brain was heavily damaged. He said he thought that is why Chris suffered from insomnia, mood swings, and drank heavily right before the tragedy happened. He said Chris was going downhill. He said Chris had become an extremely religious person who could quote Bible Scriptures and that is not how Chris was. Dr. Bailes said in some cases a person with this sort of brain damage can develop a religiosity and he thinks it is very likely the case with Chris Benoit.
Michael Benoit feels that if his son had not become a professional wrestler, Chris would still be alive.
The show revealed that WWE has questioned these medical findings and said that Michael Benoit's claim that head trauma cause his son's behaviour is impossible and said if Benoit had brain damage, he would not have been able to perform as a wrestler.
Michael Benoit , in response to those who say his son's brain damage is an excuse said, "What's their excuse?" and reiterated that his son's choice of profession was the reason his son committed the tragedy.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____________

In response to the above, I can only say one thing...

GRAMMAR, MOTHER-FUKKER; LEARN IT!!!

I agree with WWE here. If head trama caused Chris Benoit to flip out, then what about Mick Foley??? He took over 1000 hard chair shots to the head but he didn't murder his family. I think the Benoit family is having a hard time accepting that their son was a murderer no better then anyone one else who murders.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
Absolutely.
I agreed with Vince when he said it the first time.
If Benoit honestly had the cognitive abilities of a 75 yr. old Alzheimer's patient, he would never have been able to keep up with the travel schedule - catching flights, arranging rental cars, finding towns, etc.