Author Topic: Dalai Lama  (Read 3488 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Dalai Lama
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »
I don't think good deeds create wisdom. They just create good Karma. Which is a seperate thing.

Before I got interesting in Buddhism I was really, really into Native American spirituality. And with most of these schools of thought, doing good deeds is not really emphasized. There are stories of Native American wisemen killing people if they must, etc.

Lot's a Buudha's teachings are misunderstood. And just like Christianity, they've been twisted and changed over the centuries.

Well, I disagree with that aspect of Native American spirituality. I do believe that good deeds can create wisdom. If the Native Americans don't think that, that is fine by me. That is their Truth. It is not mine.
X

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
Well, I disagree with that aspect of Native American spirituality. I do believe that good deeds can create wisdom. If the Native Americans don't think that, that is fine by me. That is their Truth. It is not mine.

Different Natives from different parts of the US have very, very different beliefs.

The one's I learned about were mostly from the Southwest US. i got into it through a friend I had when I was a teenager. He was a Navajo and he was really into his people's history of shamanism and spirituality. He turned me on to psychedelics and really unique types of meditation.

In different regions of America and South America, the shamans and wisemen have very different techniques and paths. If you compare the Eskimos, the Navajo's, the Mayans and the Mohawks they might as well be totally different races of people.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
Different Natives from different parts of the US have very, very different beliefs.

The one's I learned about were mostly from the Southwest US. i got into it through a friend I had when I was a teenager. He was a Navajo and he was really into his people's history of shamanism and spirituality. He turned me on to psychedelics and really unique types of meditation.

In different regions of America and South America, the shamans and wisemen have very different techniques and paths. If you compare the Eskimos, the Navajo's, the Mayans and the Mohawks they might as well be totally different races of people.

I would like to live with another culture for a short time (maybe 6 months - 1 year).
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
No shit huh?  How many dimes he banged out?

I assume you mean how much were the tickets?

They ranged from around $25 - $300 or $400. Something like that.
X

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »
I would like to live with another culture for a short time (maybe 6 months - 1 year).

I've been livingall around Asia for 3 years. The Buddhism out here is awesome.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »
Well, his political experience can be considered spiritual if he takes the political insight he has gained and turns it into something productive. Spirituality does not have to exist as purely introspective. I do not agree with this. Doing a good deed in the external world can be considered extremely spiritual and wisdom oriented.

But this brings us to another questions: does wisdom lead to good deeds, or does good deeds lead to wisdom?  :D

Imho, suffering yields wisdom and a good deed is a manifestation of compassion.

The Dalai Lama, Ghandi, etc, guys like this (and the non famous ones) show some of the best that humanity has to offer.  Enjoy, SF.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06:34 AM »
You can meditate and be conscious while hunting, or farming, or working or anything else. You can be conscious and turn anything into a meditation at any time.

But, 99.99% of the people out there simply don't do this unless they are on some kind of spiritual path guiding them to do so.

Many hunter-gatherers are very wise a spiritually evolved because they do not have the trappings of the modern materialistic world like we have. Internet, clubs, TV, Youtube, Ipods, neon signs, traffic, etc. etc. The are just living in a more quiet and natural world without overstimulation of the senses and it's more conducive to introspective spiritual endeavors.
Good post, being mindful and in the moment at all times.

big14

• Getbig III
  • Big muscles are so cool
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 03:57:58 AM »
Dalai Lama is a great man.
Very gifted, and he is doing a lot for humanity
by just existing.
it is now a bodybuilding related thread btw:
Nasser worshippers make me puke
B

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:40 AM »
I like that two guys are fighting in a Dalai Lama thread.  ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 05:05:05 AM »
I like that two guys are fighting in a Dalai Lama thread.  ;D
Kinda goes against his teachings if I understand correctly.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 05:21:35 AM »

There are lots of different schools of Buddhism. They emphasize different things.

I've been to many Buddhist temples, and it's common to see them debating and even argueing occasionally.

Not all schools of Buddhism are hardcore pacifist.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 05:28:14 AM »

Officially, yes.  But you should see that dude troll it up on facebook.  "Problem, John 3:16?"

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 05:30:50 AM »
There are lots of different schools of Buddhism. They emphasize different things.

I've been to many Buddhist temples, and it's common to see them debating and even argueing occasionally.

Not all schools of Buddhism are hardcore pacifist.
You got any close by Ship? I never been to one none around here studied Buddhism for awhile. Whats it like in the temples I have only seen them on tv. As I understand the monks only eat 2 meals a day and sometimes get the meals from the local people in the area true or false?

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 05:37:30 AM »
You got any close by Ship? I never been to one none around here studied Buddhism for awhile. Whats it like in the temples I have only seen them on tv. As I understand the monks only eat 2 meals a day and sometimes get the meals from the local people in the area true or false?

Yeah there's one that I go to about once a week. It's a 20 minute hike up a mountain and it's on the mountaintop in this really beautiful place.

It's great. It's just informal. There are statues of Buddha all over and you can just walk in and do anything you want. You don't even have to talk to anyone, you can just go in and do meditation or pray to a statue or do whatever you wanna do. Sometimes you see people doing kinda weird shit because they are going into a trance. Because of the language barrier it's sometimes hard for me to get too involved but I talk to some of them a little bit.

The tradition of monks begging for food and the people giving it to them is kinda fading out in some areas, especially the cities. Sometimes when the monks do it people treat them as beggers. So they grow their own food and get donations from people brought in instead. But you still see it, monks walking around with the bowl, hitting two pieces of wood together.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 05:45:38 AM »
Yeah there's one that I go to about once a week. It's a 20 minute hike up a mountain and it's on the mountaintop in this really beautiful place.

It's great. It's just informal. There are statues of Buddha all over and you can just walk in and do anything you want. You don't even have to talk to anyone, you can just go in and do meditation or pray to a statue or do whatever you wanna do. Sometimes you see people doing kinda weird shit because they are going into a trance. Because of the language barrier it's sometimes hard for me to get too involved but I talk to some of them a little bit.

The tradition of monks begging for food and the people giving it to them is kinda fading out in some areas, especially the cities. Sometimes when the monks do it people treat them as beggers. So they grow their own food and get donations from people brought in instead. But you still see it, monks walking around with the bowl, hitting two pieces of wood together.

Interesting stuff I was wondering if things had changed seems so a bit. What is your take on reicarnation? See most of the Buddists teachings I believe wholeheartedly some I'm on the fence.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 05:50:31 AM »
Interesting stuff I was wondering if things had changed seems so a bit. What is your take on reicarnation? See most of the Buddists teachings I believe wholeheartedly some I'm on the fence.

I feel the same way. I don;t really believe in reincarnation.

Most Buddhist teaching are very practical and logical and make sense. But the whole reincarnation thing is something that you just have to believe on faith. And I can't bring myself to just believe in it on blind faith.

Many Buddhist sects don't preach reincarnation though.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 05:54:50 AM »
I feel the same way. I don;t really believe in reincarnation.

Most Buddhist teaching are very practical and logical and make sense. But the whole reincarnation thing is something that you just have to believe on faith. And I can't bring myself to just believe in it on blind faith.

Many Buddhist sects don't preach reincarnation though.
The old school ones did I believe from reading on the subject, what are they teaching now on after life?

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »
The old school ones did I believe from reading on the subject, what are they teaching now on after life?

Yeah the traditional ones and many others still teach reincarnation. They have ths whole system of logic for why they think reincarnation is true and it makes pretty good sense, but there are some loopholes in the logic.

I don;t believe it or disbelieve it. I just think it's something unknowable.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:47 AM »
Yeah the traditional ones and many others still teach reincarnation. They have ths whole system of logic for why they think reincarnation is true and it makes pretty good sense, but there are some loopholes in the logic.

I don;t believe it or disbelieve it. I just think it's something unknowable.
Agreed.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2010, 07:09:57 AM »
Big hitter. The Lama.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 08:02:54 AM »
 I don't believe he is the reincarnation of Ghatama though. I think that's BS.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »
Just got back! It was good stuff. The lama is a pretty funny guy!  :D
X

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
Big hitter. The Lama.
.501 regularly