Author Topic: Question about pyramiding sets.  (Read 2043 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Question about pyramiding sets.
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »
I was watching a few videos, and I have noticed that some people pyramid their weights in the opposite direction (if you choose to put it like this). So, instead of starting off light, then going heavy, they start off heavy, then go lighter as the sets increase.

Has anyone ever trained like this? Would this increase the chances of injury, since you're going heavier from the get-go? Would training like this have any benefit or drawbacks?

Is SF1900 making this too complicated?

Thank you.

Your friend,

SF1900.
X

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Re: Question about pyramiding sets.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »
I was watching a few videos, and I have noticed that some people pyramid their weights in the opposite direction (if you choose to put it like this). So, instead of starting off light, then going heavy, they start off heavy, then go lighter as the sets increase.

Has anyone ever trained like this? Would this increase the chances of injury, since you're going heavier from the get-go? Would training like this have any benefit or drawbacks?

Thank you.

Your friend,

SF1900.

waste of energy.
175lbs by 31st July

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:34:19 PM »
waste of energy.

So, going from heavier to lighter is a waste of energy? Is this what you're saying?
X

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 05:47:18 PM »
So, going from heavier to lighter is a waste of energy? Is this what you're saying?

the damage to the muscle fibers has already been achieved by the heavy sets - protein synthesis has been activated, and rest/recovery should start as soon as possible.

it may effect strength/neuro mechanical efficiency by doing descending pryamids but its useless for bodybuilders imo - in fact i believe it would hinder efforts.
175lbs by 31st July

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Answer: Diet, diet, diet.

Pyramiding up or down, super duper ultra sets, mega donkey sets, high reps, low rep...it's all diet.
N

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »

Thank you.

Your friend,

SF1900.
One or two sets to failure is all you need muscles do not know weight only resistance.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »
lol actually I agree with panda here. Strength wise pyramiding up is the only option... I allways did pyramiding down after my heavyest set and I have only got a good endurance base, but no more than that. Even my endurance is coming along better for not doing these super mega ultra sets, everything is coming better. To get ripped or toned it's all about diet as mentioned here.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »
descending sets feel like you're doing a lot for the muscles, but no added strength or size gains come from it

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
Answer: Diet, diet, diet.

Pyramiding up or down, super duper ultra sets, mega donkey sets, high reps, low rep...it's all diet.

Yup. You gotta train to a certain intensity to ensure maximum muscle fiber recruitment is achieved, but at the end of the day it's all about your diet.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
OKAY...HERES HOW ITS DONE.....load up 5 plates a side on flat bench...lay on the bench.....roll it off the forks.....report back...

bench

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »
OKAY...HERES HOW ITS DONE.....load up 5 plates a side on flat bench...lay on the bench.....roll it off the forks.....report back...

bench

Fuck you, asshole  :D
X

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »
The idea with going heavy to light is that you don't get burnt out with too much high rep work at the beginning. You then do a few back off sets at like 70-80% of max for hypertrophy.

Personally I always got more out of laddering or waving the weight, were you'd go: medium weight- light heavy -heavy, then next group of sets add a small amount of weight(say a kilo or so) and then do a second wave in the same style, then a third.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »
Hyperthropy ONLY comes about through progressive overload.

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
The idea with going heavy to light is that you don't get burnt out with too much high rep work at the beginning. You then do a few back off sets at like 70-80% of max for hypertrophy.

Personally I always got more out of laddering or waving the weight, were you'd go: medium weight- light heavy -heavy, then next group of sets add a small amount of weight(say a kilo or so) and then do a second wave in the same style, then a third.

x2

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
Hyperthropy ONLY comes about through progressive overload.

x2, hypertrophy too  :D
175lbs by 31st July

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
My spelling ain't worth a shit, dont know how I made it through school LOL