Author Topic: A gigantic warning to all concerning whey protein powders  (Read 10072 times)

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
Re: A gigantic warning to all concerning whey protein powders
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
Well I agree that what is out there might not be the best grade, I find it hard to believe that it's complete useless junk, if it was all the Pro's and BBers out there wouldn't grow, 50% of their diets in many cases is supplemented with whey. Just my friendly 2 cents.
From my research over the past 8 years of following the sport, the majority of Pro BBers eat between 6-8 solid meals a day, and supplement only about 1 or 2 protein shakes a day. That being said, shakes really only make up about 20 percent of the pro's (that actually even use shakes) diet's. So drinking these good for nothing protein shakes wouldn't have too much of a detrimental effect on their growth. Believe it or not, half of Pros who endorse those shakes don't even use them at all. I think you're getting confused with the average "gym rat." Pro Body Builders are at a totally different caliber than even a well muscled gym rat at your local gym, and the difference is just that...their diet. Train as you may, but if you're not getting enough solid and correct nutrition you will only grow so much and be limited as to reaching your BBing goal.
CEA999

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 03:53:34 AM »
From my research over the past 8 years of following the sport, the majority of Pro BBers eat between 6-8 solid meals a day, and supplement only about 1 or 2 protein shakes a day. That being said, shakes really only make up about 20 percent of the pro's (that actually even use shakes) diet's. So drinking these good for nothing protein shakes wouldn't have too much of a detrimental effect on their growth. Believe it or not, half of Pros who endorse those shakes don't even use them at all. I think you're getting confused with the average "gym rat." Pro Body Builders are at a totally different caliber than even a well muscled gym rat at your local gym, and the difference is just that...their diet intake of enormous quantities of steroids, GH, Insulin and all the other crap that will kill them young. Train as you may, but if you're not getting enough solid and correct nutrition you will only grow so much and be limited as to reaching your BBing goal.

edited...

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »
Just read Franco columbu's "the bodybuilders nutrition book". He doesnt advocate protein powders at all!! Eat chicken and steak and fish!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 08:02:54 AM »
Just read Franco columbu's "the bodybuilders nutrition book". He doesnt advocate protein powders at all!! Eat chicken and steak and fish!!
that was back when protein powder=powder milk...

bench

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
Hey bench, I understand what you are saying. But isn't whey a powder made from milk???   I just saying that we won't  wither and experience "shrinkage" if we don't use whey protein powders. Even babies have to come off formula or mothers milk eventually.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
Hey bench, I understand what you are saying. But isn't whey a powder made from milk???   I just saying that we won't  wither and experience "shrinkage" if we don't use whey protein powders. Even babies have to come off formula or mothers milk eventually.
i used to think the same thing....until i replaced a lot of shakes with meals......i gladly went back to shakes...

bench

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 02:33:45 PM »
bench, chew your meat a little better, i bet whey works better for you because its easier to digest.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
bench, chew your meat a little better, i bet whey works better for you because its easier to digest.
or i can just drink shakes.....and still have better results....

bench

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
the source of your protein is not going to have any effect on the gains you experience from your workouts. protein is only a macronutrient, not a drug or training stimulus.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
the source of your protein is not going to have any effect on the gains you experience from your workouts. protein is only a macronutrient, not a drug or training stimulus.
i beg to differ....let say you take in more beef than chicken.....there is a difference there in protein/creatine and mineral sources.......and then there is fish that gives you all kind of insulin differences....differenc e in protein?..no....difference in protein source?...big time...

bench

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
very small differences. if two diets have equal calories, and equal macro's then the results will be identical, regardless of the source of those macros and calories.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »
very small differences. if two diets have equal calories, and equal macro's then the results will be identical, regardless of the source of those macros and calories.

Would you argue the same case for soy vs. beef (or whey)?

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 06:03:03 AM »
You can debate all day long over shakes vs food.  The deal with shakes, at least for me, is that they are convenient.  If I dont feel like eating that much food the shake provides a way to get some extra protein without having to eat.  Not to mention, at work I dont necessarily have time to eat multiple times so bringing a shake allows me to get some extra protein during my shifts that I otherwise would not get.

Bottom line, if you have time in the day to actually eat five or six full meals than go for it.  If youre busy then implementing a protein shake into your routine is a good idea.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 08:33:41 AM »

Would you argue the same case for soy vs. beef (or whey)?
well i think in a natural bodybuilder there may be a small difference in hormone levels between an all beef vs. all soy diet... but as long as total calories and macros were equal then the results will be nearly identical. (assuming equal genetics and equal training stimuli).

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:47 AM »
Lets put this in perspective. It is all about money. Nothing else but money!!! Look at all the different people selling whey protein now. Is our self esteem that low that we shell out big dollars so we can get a few more grams of protein in hopes "someday" being " mr. whatever" ?? I have been lifting since the seventies and supplement companies come and go. Take a look at Bill Phillips in the  "body of work" video. He has a beautiful home, private jet, lamborghini etc... You get my drift??? Unless you are a professional, save your $$$$ buy a home, take vacations. You still will be in better shape than most people and have hundreds if not thousands in more  you pocket. If you train hard, eat right, the muscles will grow. If you must take supplements just try some type of vitamin pack. All I take is vit-c, multi. Still going strong at 51 years young!!!

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
Back to the original post, it looks like this original 3 step plan by Gatorade has been somewhat of a failure..  GNC is already offering BOGO free on these products

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2010, 03:58:50 PM »
Back to the original post, it looks like this original 3 step plan by Gatorade has been somewhat of a failure..  GNC is already offering BOGO free on these products

if these drinks didn't have 100 grams of sugar and  grams of protein I would have tried them.  They really need to cut that sugar out to make it decent.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 08:07:57 PM »
You can debate all day long over shakes vs food.  The deal with shakes, at least for me, is that they are convenient.  If I dont feel like eating that much food the shake provides a way to get some extra protein without having to eat.  Not to mention, at work I dont necessarily have time to eat multiple times so bringing a shake allows me to get some extra protein during my shifts that I otherwise would not get.

Bottom line, if you have time in the day to actually eat five or six full meals than go for it.  If youre busy then implementing a protein shake into your routine is a good idea.

agreed

i can`t get 4 shakes with 40g of protein each in per day around 3 solid meals easily...

why carry tupperware when i can leave a 10lb jug of whey at work....

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »
agreed

i can`t get 4 shakes with 40g of protein each in per day around 3 solid meals easily...

why carry tupperware when i can leave a 10lb jug of whey at work....
or even a good RTD.....its just to convenient...

bench

Monermaje

• Getbig I
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 05:21:35 AM »
I'm guessing you have no idea how much protein you need and are giving in to the myth that vegetarians don't get enough. Hell, vegans get enough protein with a normal diet. If you're eating dairy and eggs, I don't know what you're worrying about.