Author Topic: A gigantic warning to all concerning whey protein powders  (Read 10073 times)

Markoni

• Getbig II
  • trueprotein discount code MOU110
A gigantic warning to all concerning whey protein powders
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
Dante posted this here http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=40818

****Remember 2 years ago when I warned you about the oncoming milk shortage and what it would do to whey protein prices? And across the board whey protein prices rose.....

This makes that look like a blip.

I am forewarning everyone. Two major soft drink company's (here I'll make it easy, they begin with C and P to narrow it down, thats all I'll say).....have pretty much shut down the whey protein industry for the rest of 2010. The one company is coming out with a RTD whey product and the other company and their "Alligatorade" drink (think about it) bought a half a billion pounds of whey protein in which they are going to launch their Ready To Drink protein product. Now to do this they bought up all the raw ingredients from all corners or the earth and even existing product out there to tweak into their product. The other company bought a tremendous amount of whey from Asia which in turn is making a huge shortage here in the United States with manufacturers trying to catch up.

This "Alligatorade" drink company acquisition is going to drive whey protein prices skyrocketing northward. The problem is whey is a byproduct of cheese/dairy and the dairies arent going to start manufacturing more cheese to get more byproduct=whey protein (and throw away the cheese).

So and im strongly warning you on this....STRONGLY...trust me that this is going to happen. They bought up a tremendous amount of raw ingredients of whey isolate to mix into their sugar water. 500 million pounds....The other company bought up a tremendous amount of whey protein concentrate.

Whats this mean to you?

We are going to try our best to hold the line but what we are being told is whey protein could very well go to 2 - 3 times the price per pound of what it currently is. And I mean this across the board from every single protein powder company out there.....and in any and every area of whey protein being sold out there.

We probably are in the process of getting rid of the recession whey protein pricing right today due to this but we are going to try to hold out on everything else as long as we can. You will see whey protein powder prices rise and rise and rise for the next month after month after month elsewhere in stores, in retails sites....everywhere.

Do you still want to "be like Mike"?

My prediction? That sugar water company will abandon this in early 2011 after it fails miserably but the tremendous damage will be done by then.

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Re: A gigantic warning to all concerning whey protein powders
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads up I believe you

newmom

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
holy shit...

Yea Dante, isn't the type to blow sunshine

lesaucer

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »
SDIFVNDSIOVNS GATORADE adfsgfgvdfsgvdfsgSDFDVF SUCKS SFdsgvdfsgfdsgb

lesaucer

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 12:35:13 AM »
its gonna be.. pea protein time babay!!!

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:46:22 AM »
Good post, OP! I'm just glad that whey isn't the only source of protein in the world. I'm sure marketing will either a. pump up the virtues of whey to defend the premium prices or b. start talking about the old ways are the best ways and we should use egg/beef/dog/cat protein for better bioavailability or some horseapples. :)
Almost always, yes.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 10:57:16 AM »
That Gatorade drink is shit.  It has 35 grams of cassein/whey and 60 grams of fucking sugar.  Horrible drink.  Just horrible. Why?  I wonder if musclemilk really has some of the market and they are scared.

As for Dante fear mongering.  Don't stress it.

Markoni

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 11:30:55 AM »
If price of whey goes up, same will be for micellar casein, calcium caseinate ...  possibly others two because supplement companies will look for other source of protein.

http://gatorade.elsstore.com/view/category/1297-new---recovery-shakes/

3$/can of 20g of whey + sugar and who knows what poison will they put in, if we compare to today price for 3$ we can buy almost 300g of WPC

I guess only option is to stock up with whey or other protein powder and hope that this sh.t wont last long

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »
OH FUCK!

just means I get to eat more red meat  8)

Markoni

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
More info :

This is from Bruce, VP at Gaspari Nutrition:

"Guys,

I am pretty well plugged into the global commodities market for dietary supplements and sports nutrition. Even folks who might not care too much for me will tell you that I am "juiced in" pretty deep in Asia as well as with the protein vendors in NZ, Australia, etc.

There is a very big whey protein shortage brewing that will probably see the price of most protein supps (especially lower end stuff made from WPC 80 and caseinates) get really pricey in the next couple of months and soar through the winter. I am not sure how this will effect bigger companies that have contracts locked in for MT amounts per month but the smaller (and in many cases, the stupider) companies that spot buy WPC/caseinates are going to be pushed out of business. Ultimately, your choice as a consumer is going to be limited I would imagine unless you're just in it to buy REALLY high end stuff. Anyone who knows anything can tell you the price of WPC 80 and the caseinates went up about 30% since the start of the year. Yesterday I got a notice that for as of June 1st, a protein I buy for Gaspari is going up another 11%.

So what's going on? Two things.

First, the Chinese are buying up a motherload of the lower end whey for their own domestic market to make baby formula and "liquid food supplements" for sick people. With a bigger middle class, Chinese can now afford not to breast feed and they are buying baby formula at a monster rate. Since the melamine "issue" most Chinese who can afford to choose not to buy their own domestic whey - but they are gobbling up a ton of the stuff from India, Australia and New Zealand.

Second, two of the large soda companies (need I mention who?) are rumored to be coming out with their own RTD's that are WPC 37 and 80 based. The rumor is that between the two of them, they cornered much of the spot market buy buying HALF A BILLION KILOGRAMS of whey proteins of all sorts. That is an incomprehensible amount.

So what I have seen in the last few month is a large run on WPC's and caseinates and since the price of these up shifting upwards, I am seeing people who would not normally buy isolates go after them because the price differences between a lower end isolate and a medium concentrate or caseinate is becoming non-existent. And an isolate has a better margin/premium which allows for more profit/ability to discount than a concentrate where the mark up is (and I am not BS'ing you guys here) at best 30%-40% over cost. At some point it will become economically unviable for many smaller companies to put out WPC/caseinate products because they will not be able to make any money at all on it.

The larger protein companies should not be affected for another 6-9 months until their current supply contracts come up for renewal. You pay a little premium to "lock in" a price for 90-180 days and many times it turns out not to be needed this "protein insurance policy."

This time, those of us who were smart enough to play the "options game" with protein will be in good shape - these are the bigger companies. Most smaller companies can't buy 10 MT of protein at a whack (the minimum needed to lock in a contract typically). They are going to get bent over.

In the end, you will still be able to buy whey protein. You might see a huge increase in the price and "discounts end." Or you might see a sudden burst of isolate and hydrolysates on the market and concentrates/caseinates become scarce (with the excuse that companies want to sell a "better protein" which is indeed true - but not the real reason).

My sources tell me that they think the big beverage companies making RTD's are really overestimating the market for products like this (I think they have too) and are going to be stuck with a ton of expensive finished stuff nobody wants because it will be loaded with a ton of carbs to make it taste good for the masses.

Regardless, expect the remainder of 2010 and most of 2011 to be a bad stretch for people looking to purchase finished products that contain whey protein concentrate and caseinates for the most part (there will be exceptions of course - those of us who have contracts are good for at least another 90-180 on price).

Because of this, I am no longer giving out free samples of Intrapro or any other protein based product Gaspari Nutrition makes (Real Mass, Myofusion or Intrapro - I will still give out SizeOn samples because this uses a high end, expensive WPH that is pretty much predigested into di-tri peptides and not affected by the market spike in the price of other proteins).

If it were me and I liked a smaller companies cheap-o protein I would get it now while you can.

Good luck folks,

BK"

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
This is from Bruce, VP at Gaspari Nutrition:

...If it were me and I liked a smaller companies cheap-o protein I would get it now while you can...

Or seek different sources for protein supplementation. You'd think whey is the only protein on the planet with the way the thread is going. :)
Almost always, yes.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
yeah, in thinking about this i think that the growing middle class in developing countries like china and india will cause a far greater impact that coke ever could...

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
I think C and P have a lot to learn about the RTD sports drink market.  Sure they know how to market products.  But Most Body Builders are not too keen on Sugar.  I guess this is a product meant for the January Gym Rates.

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 03:30:57 AM »
   I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't first test market this product before investing so much.
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 05:14:45 AM »
There’s nothing to say they didn’t - just because we didn’t hear about it.
As far as the market, I doubt that bb’ers are their sole target demographic.
Coke & Pepsi have been selling high-sugar drinks for a lot of years and have done quite well doing so.

The addition of protein may likely be a marketing ploy devised to capitalize on existing customers who already use and like the colas, are accepting of the heaps of sugar content, and would probably spend a few dollars more for a “healthy” addition to their beloved drinks.

Simply put - it’s more of a gimmick than a nutritious RTD.
Much of the general public loves Pepsi.
If they can market it as "healthy," maybe people will want to drink more of it, or at least not feel so bad about drinking as much as they do.

The people who love & consume sugary sodas in mass quantities will not analyze a nutrition label with the same considerations we would.

Bones

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »
   Many of the schools are pulling sodas from their vending machines.. "P" and "C" probably are thinking that they going to look good by pulling their reg. products and introducing these "healthy" drinks in their place.
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »
You can say Coke and Pepsi.  Sheesh!

Bones

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
You can say Coke and Pepsi.  Sheesh!
  Just lazy ;D
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
This is not as calamitous as Markoni makes it appear. There'll always be plenty of sources of protein available.

You also don't have to take your protein in the form of a powder. Aren't you guys sick of messy shakes and blenders to wash?
w

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
Got any substitutes for sale, Jag? :)
Almost always, yes.

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »
One of the companies I buy whey from online just emailed me that Optimum Nutrition is facing a shortage of supply and as such, their products are back ordered. Now whether that has anything to do with the OP's info/theory I don't know, but it may (seems like it). However, then again, a 5lb bag of EAS at Sam's club actually came down in price (~ 50 cents or so) and even at its orig price it was a bargain. Comments/thoughts?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 03:23:39 PM »
My one supplier lists a lot of ON’s stuff as out of stock, including their casein and soy powders in addition to the wheys.
The other company  I deal with has no backorder listings for Optimum.

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »
Alright, let's just relax and think this through. I was gonna start a thread based on my findings as of late about whey products and commercial milk vs raw milk, but I may as well comment and address some issues here. Basically without going into too much detail, most (90th percentile) supp companies buy this so called "whey" protein at cheap prices and in high bulk to market, manufacture, and sell as something that is in tact, and works. I hate to burst your bubble but that same whey they sell to the public consumer is useless. Yeah that's right, useless. 1st off because all the good enzymes are being killed off in the pasteurizing process, and second (which should be 1st) the very cows they're getting this whey from are sick. They extend the natural time processing period of a cow by pumping them up with hormones and feeding them garbage to fatten them up. If you question what I'm saying, try to find out where exactly the source of the whey is coming from, from any manufacturer. The only one I found to get their source from healthy cows is Jay Robb's. I don't like wasting money, so if you do, then don't heed my advice. But if you do care, and you don't wanna waste your time or money, do a little research. Don't be fooled. These companies don't care about you. Only your money. Very few put out anything that's listed on the labels, or that work. The FDA is a joke in this country, so you as the consumer have to take your own precaution. Like I said, I don't wanna go into grave detail on this thread, because it's too much, but I wouldn't worry about a shortage of whey, if most of it isn't doing anything for you anyway.
CEA999

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
i have been having no problem at all getting as much ON as i need.....

bench

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
Alright, let's just relax and think this through. I was gonna start a thread based on my findings as of late about whey products and commercial milk vs raw milk, but I may as well comment and address some issues here. Basically without going into too much detail, most (90th percentile) supp companies buy this so called "whey" protein at cheap prices and in high bulk to market, manufacture, and sell as something that is in tact, and works. I hate to burst your bubble but that same whey they sell to the public consumer is useless. Yeah that's right, useless. 1st off because all the good enzymes are being killed off in the pasteurizing process, and second (which should be 1st) the very cows they're getting this whey from are sick. They extend the natural time processing period of a cow by pumping them up with hormones and feeding them garbage to fatten them up. If you question what I'm saying, try to find out where exactly the source of the whey is coming from, from any manufacturer. The only one I found to get their source from healthy cows is Jay Robb's. I don't like wasting money, so if you do, then don't heed my advice. But if you do care, and you don't wanna waste your time or money, do a little research. Don't be fooled. These companies don't care about you. Only your money. Very few put out anything that's listed on the labels, or that work. The FDA is a joke in this country, so you as the consumer have to take your own precaution. Like I said, I don't wanna go into grave detail on this thread, because it's too much, but I wouldn't worry about a shortage of whey, if most of it isn't doing anything for you anyway.

Well I agree that what is out there might not be the best grade, I find it hard to believe that it's complete useless junk, if it was all the Pro's and BBers out there wouldn't grow, 50% of their diets in many cases is supplemented with whey. Just my friendly 2 cents.