Author Topic: Obama to Deploy Up to 1,200 National Guard Troops to U.S.-Mexico Border  (Read 1251 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good decision.  About time. 

Obama to Deploy Up to 1,200 National Guard Troops to U.S.-Mexico Border
FOXNews.com

President Obama is planning to deploy up to 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border, heeding calls from border state lawmakers that security needs to be improved.

An administration official confirmed to Fox News that Obama plans to deploy the National Guard troops as needed and request $500 million for "enhanced border protection and law enforcement."

The official said the National Guard would be used to "provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support," as well as support "counternarcotics enforcement" and provide "training capacity" until the Border Patrol can bring more officers on board. The additional funding would be used to improve border security technology and increase the number of agents, investigators and prosecutors targeting drug, human and weapons traffickers.

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., said he's heard that "the 1,200 border patrol troops are, in effect, desk jobs."

"They aren't boots on the ground at the border," he said, adding that "they were not intended to be deployed to the border."

"Rather they'll be investigating, administrative support, maybe training," he said. "Now that's all fine...but the real value of the National Guard is to be seen."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said Obama's plan represents a "very significant and important shift in the president's immigration and border security policy."

"I am pleased that President Obama has now, apparently, agreed that our nation must secure the border to address rampant border violence and illegal immigration without other pre-conditions, such as passage of 'comprehensive immigration reform,'" she said.

"I am anxious to hear of the details that have not yet been disclosed of where, how, and for how long additional forces will be deployed," she added. "With the accountability of this election year, I am pleased and grateful that at long last there has been a partial response from the Obama administration to my demands that Washington do its job."

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., praised the administration for "finally" answering the calls for more troops, while another lawmaker said 1,200 troops is "simply not enough."

The announcement came as Senate Republicans began introducing several border security amendments to a $60 billion war spending bill under consideration on the floor. They showed no signs of halting that effort in light of the president's decision.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., proposed an amendment to send 6,000 National Guard troops to the border -- a move Republicans want to pay for with unspent stimulus money. McCain said on the floor that he appreciates Obama's decision to deploy up to 1,200 troops but asked for more.

"I think it is a recognition of the violence on the border which has been really beyond description in some respects," McCain said. "But it's simply not enough."

Senate Republicans confronted Obama on immigration and border security earlier in the day during a rare, private meeting on Capitol Hill. But Obama never mentioned he was sending troops to the border, Kyl said, even after he brought up the McCain amendment.

"I gather that some of our Democratic colleagues were informed," Kyl said. "Sen. McCain spoke to it...and then I stood up. One of the things I said was we were going to the floor in a few minutes to request additional money for sending troops to the border. But that was the end of the conversation."

Though top Obama Cabinet officials critical of Arizona's controversial new law have acknowledged they never read the bill, McCain said Obama told the senators he has read it and still believes it could allow for discrimination.

Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, who described the meeting as "testy," said the president "wasn't embracing" the call to secure the borders before pressing forward with a comprehensive immigration policy overhaul.

The administration official described Obama's announcement Tuesday as "part of his comprehensive plan to secure the southwest border."

Giffords, who was among several lawmakers who requested more border security after Arizona rancher Robert Krentz was killed by a suspected illegal immigrant at the end of March, praised Obama for the National Guard announcement.

"(Arizona residents) know that more boots on the ground means a safer and more secure border. Washington heard our message," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/25/obama-deploy-national-guard-troops-mexico-border/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Mccain immediately called for 6,000 more.

Sounds like they're getting on the same page.

And even if they are only in an investigative role... heck, they may keep more illegals out by investigating the safe houses, transit paths, busting the coyotes/smugglers, and busting employers. 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Curious to see how the National Guard will be utilized in effect. My guess is that if they are assigned actually border patrol duty, things will get very tough for illegals and rightfully so..
Maybe they should also re-evaluate the Border Patrol and see how many people are really needed for "desk jobs".

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Good move for once. I was wondering what they would do after they were showing their displeasure with Arizona and then Arizona actually had the balls to request more reinforcement on the borders. They really should get the illegal immigrant thing under control ASAP and let people enter the country after following the legal process.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Also to all the people against the Arizona law, perhaps they should volunteer an alternative solution to deal with people that broke the law and taking jobs from US Citizens. After all it is the law and the USA prides itself on being a country and citizens that abide by the law. So please if the Arizona law is so bad then offer a solution. But don't ignore it and hope it will go away.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
This aint gonna do shit. 1200 is a drop in the bucket. Its just for show.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
YUP!!!

look for them to be called back and "comprehensive" immigration reform to be taken up after november

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

Bingo. His debacle, boot-licking and blasting of his own nation with President Calderon probably didn't poll to well with citizens of this nation.

This is most likely a response to that. And I'm not sure what their ROE's will be. Probably sit there, be in harms way, not be allowed to fight back and to pull back when anything dangerous happens. I remember hearing, I could be wrong, the same about the last time the N.G. was sent to the border.

Another cynical political stunt.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
What number do you guys think would solve the problem, and why?

1201?   1500 nat'l guard troops?  300,000 troops?

GigantorX

• Getbig V

The problem won't be stopped by sending in troops. It needs to be a plan on all levels.

It starts, hilariously enough, by enforcing the multitude of laws that are already on the books. Others such as checking for immigration status during a traffic stop or arrest would be nice. Punishing businesses that hire illegals. Not letting illegals back in to our nation over and over again only to have them commit rape, drug dealing, robbery, kidnapping. And of course...actually enforcing the physical border and shooting back.

And having politicians who refuse to cater to people who aren't actual citizens would also be nice.

What we have right now is total free for all. And it isn't working.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
This is why, personally, I like the idea of using the 1200 troops at desks - busting employers, taking tips, checking land and travel records, and nailing the support system.

I'd hate to see them just sitting in trailers using binoculars to try to catch the random vagrant walking across the border. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V

AGAIN simply locking down the border and thinking it will solve the problem is as ignorant as thinking that going after employers alone with solve the problem  ;)

the border needs to be well policed...how many police does it take to police a city well? your question is to broad...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Typical Obama,these wont be boots on the ground,they will be desk jockeys doing nothing.Thats what happens when you have a pencil pusher in the white house.
As noted in a story on FoxNews.com, Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) reacted by saying the 1,200 troops will mostly be occupying "desk jobs."

"They aren't boots on the ground at the border," he said, adding that "they were not intended to be deployed to the border."

"Rather they'll be investigating, administrative support, maybe training," he said. "Now that's all fine...but the real value of the National Guard is to be seen."

Read more: http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/2010/05/obamas-border-security-plan-more-desk-jobs.php#ixzz0p2g6Zusy

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
"Some law enforcement officials along the border said they worry that Obama will repeat Bush's mistake by limiting the troops to support roles, such as conducting surveillance and installing lighting, rather than letting them make arrests and confront smugglers. They also believe the scale of the force — one-fifth of the size of the one sent by Bush — is too small to make a difference along the length of the 2,000-mile border."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100526/ap_on_re_us/national_guard_border

GigantorX

• Getbig V
"Some law enforcement officials along the border said they worry that Obama will repeat Bush's mistake by limiting the troops to support roles, such as conducting surveillance and installing lighting, rather than letting them make arrests and confront smugglers. They also believe the scale of the force — one-fifth of the size of the one sent by Bush — is too small to make a difference along the length of the 2,000-mile border."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100526/ap_on_re_us/national_guard_border

It was never meant to have any effect. Purely for show.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I dont know how many treaties it would violate, but mining the borders might work well.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
So exactly what happens when armed illegals start shooting at our troops?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Hopefully drones fly in and cap these leeches. 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Good decision.  About time. 

Obama to Deploy Up to 1,200 National Guard Troops to U.S.-Mexico Border
FOXNews.com

President Obama is planning to deploy up to 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border, heeding calls from border state lawmakers that security needs to be improved.

An administration official confirmed to Fox News that Obama plans to deploy the National Guard troops as needed and request $500 million for "enhanced border protection and law enforcement."

The official said the National Guard would be used to "provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support," as well as support "counternarcotics enforcement" and provide "training capacity" until the Border Patrol can bring more officers on board. The additional funding would be used to improve border security technology and increase the number of agents, investigators and prosecutors targeting drug, human and weapons traffickers.

Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., said he's heard that "the 1,200 border patrol troops are, in effect, desk jobs."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said Obama's plan represents a "very significant and important shift in the president's immigration and border security policy."

"I am pleased that President Obama has now, apparently, agreed that our nation must secure the border to address rampant border violence and illegal immigration without other pre-conditions, such as passage of 'comprehensive immigration reform,'" she said.

"I am anxious to hear of the details that have not yet been disclosed of where, how, and for how long additional forces will be deployed," she added. "With the accountability of this election year, I am pleased and grateful that at long last there has been a partial response from the Obama administration to my demands that Washington do its job."

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., praised the administration for "finally" answering the calls for more troops, while another lawmaker said 1,200 troops is "simply not enough."

The announcement came as Senate Republicans began introducing several border security amendments to a $60 billion war spending bill under consideration on the floor. They showed no signs of halting that effort in light of the president's decision.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., proposed an amendment to send 6,000 National Guard troops to the border -- a move Republicans want to pay for with unspent stimulus money. McCain said on the floor that he appreciates Obama's decision to deploy up to 1,200 troops but asked for more.

"I think it is a recognition of the violence on the border which has been really beyond description in some respects," McCain said. "But it's simply not enough."

Senate Republicans confronted Obama on immigration and border security earlier in the day during a rare, private meeting on Capitol Hill. But Obama never mentioned he was sending troops to the border, Kyl said, even after he brought up the McCain amendment.

"I gather that some of our Democratic colleagues were informed," Kyl said. "Sen. McCain spoke to it...and then I stood up. One of the things I said was we were going to the floor in a few minutes to request additional money for sending troops to the border. But that was the end of the conversation."

Though top Obama Cabinet officials critical of Arizona's controversial new law have acknowledged they never read the bill, McCain said Obama told the senators he has read it and still believes it could allow for discrimination.

Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, who described the meeting as "testy," said the president "wasn't embracing" the call to secure the borders before pressing forward with a comprehensive immigration policy overhaul.

The administration official described Obama's announcement Tuesday as "part of his comprehensive plan to secure the southwest border."

Giffords, who was among several lawmakers who requested more border security after Arizona rancher Robert Krentz was killed by a suspected illegal immigrant at the end of March, praised Obama for the National Guard announcement.

"(Arizona residents) know that more boots on the ground means a safer and more secure border. Washington heard our message," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/25/obama-deploy-national-guard-troops-mexico-border/

HAHAAHAHAHAAHAAHAAH...Yo u can not possibly think that this is an attempt to slow a process that has been ordered by the very US government that now claims it is trying to slow it...C'mon guys don't be so dumb. Even pretending it was  true, the border of Mexico and america is over two thousand miles long. 1200 men equals one man per mile at best...think the Mexicans will not find a way around these guys???

500 million dollars for additional protection...yeah right..sounds like someone milking the US government again

LOLOLOLOL...
Anyway I say to you all, better learn to speak Spanish..and learn some Islam and get a Quran and make your president happy.....
C

240 is Back

• Getbig V
'So exactly what happens when armed illegals start shooting at our troops?"

I would have already kicked the dirtbags off my street long before it became an issue of them being armed on my street. 

Their very existence of "sitting on the corner chilling" would be something I wouldn't be cool with.  I'd have the police out there 24/7 until they moved on to another block.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
1200 just seems to be a political move more than anything else, but it is a step in the right direction.

And if armed illegals start shooting at out troops we should kill them with out compromise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
1200 just seems to be a political move more than anything else, but it is a step in the right direction.

And if armed illegals start shooting at out troops we should kill them with out compromise.

I agree.  It's definitely a step in the right direction. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

The armed illegals end up 6 feet underground. They shouldn't start a fight that they can't finish.