Author Topic: BP well stabilised, oil stopped  (Read 2501 times)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
BP well stabilised, oil stopped
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:20:39 AM »
BP well stabilised, oil stopped
2010-05-27 15:59

New Orleans - Energy giant BP's "top kill" effort to plug its leaking well in the Gulf of Mexico has stopped oil and gas from coming up and "stabilised the well head," Coast Guard commandant Thad Allen said on Thursday.

"They've been able to stabilise the well head, they're pumping mud down it. They've stopped the hydrocarbons from coming up," Allen told WWL First News radio.

Allen's was the first positive official statement on BP's attempt to plug a well that has spewed millions of gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico, devastating environmentally fragile coastline.

Allen said it was too early to declare success but his was the first positive official assessment of BP's latest attempt to plug a well that has spewed millions of litres of crude into the Gulf of Mexico, devastating environmentally fragile coastline.

BP officials earlier said the operation was proceeding as expected, but they would not be able to say for much of the day whether it was working.

Teams were pumping heavy drilling mud into the well to try to push back the flow of oil and gas gushing out of a broke riser pipe on the seabed nearly a mile below the surface of the Gulf.

Then they plan to seal it with cement.

Allen said BP teams were in process of monitoring the mud that has been pumped into the well so far.

"And they are in a period of kind of wait and see right now where they see how the well stabilises," he said.

"But it is at this point where they have had some success overnight and they are prepared to put more mud down the wellboard if they need to. So everybody is cautiously optimistic but there is no reason to declare victory yet.

"We need to watch it very, very carefully," he said.

- AFP

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: BP well stabilised, oil stopped
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
Finally

After a billion gallons of oil came out. :P
And I'll say it. The question will be, "Did Obama let this go on too long without the gov't stepping in?"

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
And I'll say it. The question will be, "Did Obama let this go on too long without the gov't stepping in?"
I contend that this administration didn't know what to do.  What's more, shouldn't we find it interesting that this oil was GUSHING for over a month without any signs of letting up?  But we don't want to drill for our own oil???  This is the first major oil rig incident over over 31 years.  31 years!  Yet, there are those that say we shouldn't drill. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:51 AM »
Why not?  Bush got blasted for the Govt taking THREE DAYS to get down to NO.  

Obama blasted Bush for Katrina, so now he gets to live by the same sword he chose to swing back then.

Screw him, he made his bed and now has to sleep in it.  

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »
Come on,NO ONE here hates Obama more then me.But what could he have done?Send in the government?They couldnt stop a drip in a faucet.They stayed away and its a good thing they did or this would have gone on for years.

Now,unlike others,I think Obama is pissed the well is plugged.This gave hoim room to bash oil companies for a few weeks.Now he has to find another straw man.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:49:06 AM »
Come on,NO ONE here hates Obama more then me.But what could he have done?Send in the government?They couldnt stop a drip in a faucet.They stayed away and its a good thing they did or this would have gone on for years.

Now,unlike others,I think Obama is pissed the well is plugged.This gave hoim room to bash oil companies for a few weeks.Now he has to find another straw man.

Billy - I think you and I are close on that bro. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
Massive failure on the govt. and BP's part. If this ends up working, I wonder why they didn't try this first instead of some stupid dome?

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
It just shows the lack of foresight by both BP and the US Government to not have a solid set of contingency plans in case of emergency.  Whether or not this is the first or hundredth disaster it is one too many.  Ban all offshore drilling until they can consistently come up with fail safe plans and follow and enforce regulations.  Until then no more drilling. 
Abandon every hope...

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »
Massive failure on the govt. and BP's part. If this ends up working, I wonder why they didn't try this first instead of some stupid dome?
I am in the Technical field that has much to do with equipment in oil and gas industry and I was horrified to learn at a conference last week that there is no contingency plan for blow outs at those depths.
The idea is that your equipment must have enough redundency and over compensation manufactured in to the "equation" that this should never happen.

And remember there are wells that drill even deeper than this!

They had to make up the rescue plan as they went along and the goverment would not have been able to do anything either.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »
It just shows the lack of foresight by both BP and the US Government to not have a solid set of contingency plans in case of emergency.  Whether or not this is the first or hundredth disaster it is one too many.  Ban all offshore drilling until they can consistently come up with fail safe plans and follow and enforce regulations.  Until then no more drilling. 

If enviro kooks wouldnt force them to go out 65 miles into the sea and drill 5,000 ft down this would have been avoided.Let them drill closer to shore and a disaster like this can be avoided.However,when gas jumps to 7 dollars a gallon you will be the first one on here crying for the poor who cant drive cars to get to work because they cant afford gas.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »
Whats' amazing is thatt he left wing fanatics expect us to trust the USD Govt to tackle so called "climate change" while they/it cant even take care of an oil spill. 

Do you libs understand now why most people mock you loons?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »

Good points x 2 BILLY.

Coast Guard has been there the entire time... but BP was the company with the equipment that could reach a mile down.  ANd yes, obama has to go back to trashing banks again.

Now, the Q also has to be asked... why the F won't Repubs let them raise the BP liability to 10 billion?  Why are they leaving it at 75 mil?

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 09:39:14 AM »
I was starting to worry about this oil leak becoming a problem  ::)
RIP Bob Probert

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 09:44:44 AM »
If enviro kooks wouldnt force them to go out 65 miles into the sea and drill 5,000 ft down this would have been avoided.Let them drill closer to shore and a disaster like this can be avoided.However,when gas jumps to 7 dollars a gallon you will be the first one on here crying for the poor who cant drive cars to get to work because they cant afford gas.

Well Billy that's assuming the oil is sufficient enough there to drill for in the first place, secondly if a disaster happens they have even less time than they currently do before it hits shore.  Could you imagine the destruction this level of spill would cause if it were closer?  I hate to think of it.  You might say it'll be closer to shore so easier to fix, yeah okay  ::) this disaster has proven both government and oil have plenty of ideas and respond oh so fast when faced with this type of issue.
Abandon every hope...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 10:05:22 AM »
Well Billy that's assuming the oil is sufficient enough there to drill for in the first place, secondly if a disaster happens they have even less time than they currently do before it hits shore.  Could you imagine the destruction this level of spill would cause if it were closer?  I hate to think of it.  You might say it'll be closer to shore so easier to fix, yeah okay  ::) this disaster has proven both government and oil have plenty of ideas and respond oh so fast when faced with this type of issue.

From what I have heard/read the "top kill" procedure has been used before in much more shallow water and at a high success rate.  The well being in the deeper water is why they were hesitant to try it, because they weren't sure it would work.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
From what I have heard/read the "top kill" procedure has been used before in much more shallow water and at a high success rate.  The well being in the deeper water is why they were hesitant to try it, because they weren't sure it would work.

If they were close to shore the well would have been plugged in days not weeks.But leave it to enviro whack jobs to determine whats best.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
The envirofreaks have been utterly silent over this.

Its all politics over anything else with them.   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
If they were close to shore the well would have been plugged in days not weeks.But leave it to enviro whack jobs to determine whats best.

Exactly.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
Oh please.  It may have been plugged sooner but the leaking still would have effected the shore line a lot faster and hurt the environment just the same.  Offshore drilling always will hold too greater risk and will never be full time solution to our energy needs. 

Alternative sources and investment in their development is the only way to a) create large scale manufacturing jobs in the this country, b) stop our reliance on international oil and c) cut emissions to sustainable levels. 

Abandon every hope...

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
You're a retard. You talk about not wanting to rely on international oil and then you cry about off-shore drilling. As if they're just going to pull an alternative energy source out of thin air.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »
I contend that this administration didn't know what to do.  What's more, shouldn't we find it interesting that this oil was GUSHING for over a month without any signs of letting up?  But we don't want to drill for our own oil???  This is the first major oil rig incident over over 31 years.  31 years!  Yet, there are those that say we shouldn't drill. 

Actually Colossus that's not true. there have been plenty of oil rig incidents. they happen all the time, it's just that they're not close to us and they're not as heavily publicized. This was a sexy one because it was politicized, close to shore and had potential to devastate many industries. There have been worse disasters that simply didn't make the news.

It's absolutely ridiculous to be drilling without any contingency plans.

The difference between Bush's lack of response for 3 days and Obama's delay, is in NO people's lives were on the line. The entire city was crippled including emergency first responders, people were dying and any delay was the difference between life & death for many. the deep Water Horizon was in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, other than the 11 who died in the explosion, no human lives were at risk, and most importantly, those deceitful MF'ers at BP lied about the seriousnessness of the spill. They downplayed it every step of the way.

If someone tells you you have a leaky faucet in your bathroom, you're not gonna necessarily rush home from work for a couple of drips a minute. If you knew the whole fixture had been blown off, and water was gushing out like Old Smokey, and the water could not be turned off, ...you might have a whole other sense of urgency.

Congrats to powerpack on the scoop.  :D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »
You're a retard. You talk about not wanting to rely on international oil and then you cry about off-shore drilling. As if they're just going to pull an alternative energy source out of thin air.

They don't have to pull an alternative energy source out of thin air, ...they can simply reach onto the shelf and take any one of the number of alternative energy sources that have been developed over the years and shelved at the behest of big oil.
w

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
Yes, because we can expect that to happen, what with big oil money lining Obama's pockets.  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »
Yes, because we can expect that to happen, what with big oil money lining Obama's pockets.  ::)

LOL. I can see where you might have a point. this is the dilemma faced by every president.

Reminds me of a Jackie Chan move I saw the other day "The Spy Next Door".
Sometimes, it's enough to just kind of make you want to cheer for the Russians to win.
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 01:18:18 PM »
Actually Colossus that's not true. there have been plenty of oil rig incidents. they happen all the time, it's just that they're not close to us and they're not as heavily publicized. This was a sexy one because it was politicized, close to shore and had potential to devastate many industries. There have been worse disasters that simply didn't make the news.

It's absolutely ridiculous to be drilling without any contingency plans.

The difference between Bush's lack of response for 3 days and Obama's delay, is in NO people's lives were on the line. The entire city was crippled including emergency first responders, people were dying and any delay was the difference between life & death for many. the deep Water Horizon was in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, other than the 11 who died in the explosion, no human lives were at risk, and most importantly, those deceitful MF'ers at BP lied about the seriousnessness of the spill. They downplayed it every step of the way.

If someone tells you you have a leaky faucet in your bathroom, you're not gonna necessarily rush home from work for a couple of drips a minute. If you knew the whole fixture had been blown off, and water was gushing out like Old Smokey, and the water could not be turned off, ...you might have a whole other sense of urgency.

Congrats to powerpack on the scoop.  :D
Off the coast of the US?  I'm not sure you're correct on that, Jag.  Go to itopf.com and check out some of their information.  I'm sure there's more out there, so I'll keep looking and post what I find.