Author Topic: Celtics vs Lakers  (Read 16001 times)

body88

Re: Celtics vs Lakers
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 05:20:31 AM »
dont get your panties in a bunch...im just being a fan...dios mio...a bit touchy today arent we

I'm good. I must have been taking your replies to me the wrong way. No problem.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 10:22:53 AM »
Kobe can get his 30. I hope he tries to do it all again, just like in 08. As long as they don't let him go crazy and they do a good job on the role players, they have a good chance.

Imo, the Celtics can hurt LA more ways than LA can hurt the Celtics. More weapons. More ways to score. A very good defensive team - etc.

It will be a good series no doubt.

I think the Lakers have the more talented team:  Bynum over Perkins, Pau over KG, Pierce over Artest, Kobe over Allen, Rondo over Fish, and Odom over anyone off the Celtics' bench.  

But I agree it will be a good series.  I'm very happy the Celtics made it instead of the Cavs or Magic.

body88

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
Bynum over Perkin (If his knee is ok. He had it drained Monday and just said the fluid is back).

Pau over KG.

Pierce over Artest.

Kobe over Allen.

Rondo over Fish (by a lot).

Odem over Sheed and baby. This is also a problem for the Lakers. Odem can't bang with them both and the Lakers have no big men off the bench that are as good as Sheed or Baby.

Imo, the Celtics have a much better bench.

Should be good.

I dont see the Celtcs winning game one. To much energy. I see them taking game two, then 2 out of three in Boston.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »
Bynum over Perkin (If his knee is ok. He had it drained Monday and just said the fluid is back).

Pau over KG.

Pierce over Artest.

Kobe over Allen.

Odem over Sheed and baby. This is also a problem for the Lakers. Odem can't bang with them both and the Lakers have no big men off the bench that are as good as Sheed or Baby.

Should be good.

I dont see the Celtcs winning game one. To much energy. I see them taking game two, then 2 out of three in Boston.
This will go 7.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

Pau over KG.

Pierce over Artest.

Kobe over Allen.

Should be good.

It sounds like Bynum's knee will be the same as it has been throughout the playoffs.  I suspect he'll play about 20 minutes or so and have about 10 and 8.  Thereabouts. 

He actually had good games against Perkins this year. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »
I don't think so. Pierce has always played well against Artest. Also, the Lakers played poor D at times vs the suns.

Rondo is arguably the best point guard in the NBA and a much improved player since the first time these two teams met. Kobe couldn't guard him off the dribble two years ago, and Ray has been on fire in the playoffs. The Celtics pose several match up issues for the Lakers.

I also love how people are talking about Bynum (who just had his knee drained). If he does not play well, that means Odem and Pau have to bang in the paint with the dirt dogs like Perk and Baby. Which poses problem when Baby is playing, because he can hit 15 foot jumpers and requires attention at all times, which opens up the floor for KG and so on.

I'm not saying the Celtics will win...but, this talk about Laker's winning easy is insane. The Celtics beat Wade and the heat, James and the Cavs and Superman and the Magic. They can beat Kobe and the Lakers.

Ps, Guts, tell me how the Laker's bench is "deeper? than the Celtics.

The Lakers are definitely deeper than the Celtics. Hard to believe you're debating that one. Who do the Celtics have coming of the bench beside broken down Rasheed and Davis? Tony Allen is a good defender but doesn't score enough. Finley is 100 years old and Nate Robinson has had one good game.

The Lakers have the better bench, offensively and athletically. When you have a player as talented as Lamar Odom coming off the bench, you're a deep team. Odom, Farmar, and Brown. The Lakers are 8 or 9 deep while the Celtics are 7 deep, at best.

Just my opinion, Body88. I hope the Celtics win, though. Something just tells me that the Lakers win in 5 games, maybe 6. The Lakers are the best team in the NBA for a reason.

body88

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »
The Lakers are definitely deeper than the Celtics. Hard to believe you're debating that one. Who do the Celtics have coming of the bench beside broken down Rasheed and Davis? Tony Allen is a good defender but doesn't score enough. Finley is 100 years old and Nate Robinson has had one good game.

The Lakers have the better bench, offensively and athletically. When you have a player as talented as Lamar Odom coming off the bench, you're a deep team. Odom, Farmar, and Brown. The Lakers are 8 or 9 deep while the Celtics are 7 deep, at best.

Just my opinion, Body88. I hope the Celtics win, though. Something just tells me that the Lakers win in 5 games, maybe 6. The Lakers are the best team in the NBA for a reason.

Then why has the Celtics bench played  better during the playoffs and also outscored the 08 teams bench (which was supposedly the advntage the Celtics had over the Lakers last time they played)?

Odem is a 30 min player, not really a "bench" guy. After him, there is a massive dropoff. How many minutes have the Lakers bench players averaged throughout the playoffs? They were exposed in the sun series. Farmar and brown are bench players and they have been pretty limited. Look at their minutes. Why so few? Who then, Sasha? That's not a "talented" bench. Factor in the Bynum injury and thats more minutes Odem will need to play as a starter. He's going to bang with Baby and Perk for a whole series if Bynum is limited?

You call Wallace names, but he has played well recently and baby is a good big man who must be defended because he can shoot, too. What big men do the Lakers have off the bench, that can play d, score and has avg 15 ppg like baby? Finley is old, but again, has been part of a bench that had averaged 23 ppg. nate Robinson had a great game vs the magic and you are taking away from him and calling out bench players on the Lakers who play very limited minutes. Tony Allen is a good player and your downplaying his skills. How about Daniels.

The lakers are 6 deep and their starting 6 is very good. Bynum won't be 100.

They Lakers might win in six. They might win in five. My beef was with you saying that they would win easy, that's all : - )

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »
Game on where is regmac?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 06:18:30 PM »
Then why has the Celtics bench played  better during the playoffs and also outscored the 08 teams bench (which was supposedly the advntage the Celtics had over the Lakers last time they played)?

Odem is a 30 min player, not really a "bench" guy. After him, there is a massive dropoff. How many minutes have the Lakers bench players averaged throughout the playoffs? They were exposed in the sun series. Farmar and brown are bench players and they have been pretty limited. Look at their minutes. Why so few? Who then, Sasha? That's not a "talented" bench. Factor in the Bynum injury and thats more minutes Odem will need to play as a starter. He's going to bang with Baby and Perk for a whole series if Bynum is limited?

You call Wallace names, but he has played well recently and baby is a good big man who must be defended because he can shoot, too. What big men do the Lakers have off the bench, that can play d, score and has avg 15 ppg like baby? Finley is old, but again, has been part of a bench that had averaged 23 ppg. nate Robinson had a great game vs the magic and you are taking away from him and calling out bench players on the Lakers who play very limited minutes. Tony Allen is a good player and your downplaying his skills. How about Daniels.

The lakers are 6 deep and their starting 6 is very good. Bynum won't be 100.

They Lakers might win in six. They might win in five. My beef was with you saying that they would win easy, that's all : - )

All good points. But I'm sticking to my guns with my prediction. But my heart wants the Celtics to win.  :D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »
Its over kobe is on lakers win this one.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »
Game over.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »
Good win.  Kobe played a great game again.  The two most notable plays of the game to me:

- Kobe blocking Tony Allen's shot at the rim. 

- KG missing two put backs in the fourth.  He looked tired. 

Game 2 will be a battle. 

body88

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
As mentioned, the Celtics had little chance to win the first game. The Lakers have been hearing how "soft" they are, and about how they don't play defense like the Celtics, for the last two years. They came out on fire, which is to be expected of a team playing at home (with a chip on their shoulder(s))

A couple points:

Bynum played much better than I thought he would. As I said, I think he is the key to the series, since he gives the Lakers an extra big man with more length. I did notice that he started to fade, and they used him much less as the game wore on. I suspect his knee is pretty swollen today. He might become less and less effective as the series goes on.

The Celtics looked lethargic, were outworked, and looked nothing like the team that played in the Magic series. Part of this was the Lakers awesome play and part was poor effort by the Celtics (that Farmar steal was unacceptable -- not boxing anyone out, etc).

The LA media (like most fans) are overreacting to a single game. Burying the Celtics and thinking the series is over.

Peirce must guard Kobe. Ray getting so many fouls fucked up everything. Without Ray, the floor is not spread as it should be. When Kobe did have offensive trouble last night, Peirce was on him. This is because Peirce has a lot more length and is strong enough to be somewhat effective on Bryant.

The Celtics will adjust and I think things will be different for game 2.

Pau was awesome. Beastly, infact. KG will step it up.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
As mentioned, the Celtics had little chance to win the first game. The Lakers have been hearing how "soft" they are, and about how they don't play defense like the Celtics, for the last two years. They came out on fire, which is to be expected of a team playing at home (with a chip on their shoulder(s))

A couple points:

Bynum played much better than I thought he would. As I said, I think he is the key to the series, since he gives the Lakers an extra big man with more length. I did notice that he started to fade, and they used him much less as the game wore on. I suspect his knee is pretty swollen today. He might become less and less effective as the series goes on.

The Celtics looked lethargic, were outworked, and looked nothing like the team that played in the Magic series. Part of this was the Lakers awesome play and part was poor effort by the Celtics (that Farmar steal was unacceptable -- not boxing anyone out, etc).

The LA media (like most fans) are overreacting to a single game. Burying the Celtics and thinking the series is over.

Peirce must guard Kobe. Ray getting so many fouls fucked up everything. Without Ray, the floor is not spread as it should be. When Kobe did have offensive trouble last night, Peirce was on him. This is because Peirce has a lot more length and is strong enough to be somewhat effective on Bryant.

The Celtics will adjust and I think things will be different for game 2.

Pau was awesome. Beastly, infact. KG will step it up.
Yea game 2 the Celts will come to play it will be close.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »
15-Love
((-::

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 06:22:41 PM »

KG is looking old and very soft, PG was kicking his ass.
Deffensively KG gives Pau too much space. Sheed/BiG Baby had no impact what so ever in the game. Ron Artest played well against Paul Pierce. I pray to god that LA doesnt win, cant stand them. the 2-3-2 set up favors LA

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
I pray to god

Well, that's progress.   :D

body88

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 08:00:33 AM »

KG is looking old and very soft, PG was kicking his ass.
Deffensively KG gives Pau too much space. Sheed/BiG Baby had no impact what so ever in the game. Ron Artest played well against Paul Pierce. I pray to god that LA doesnt win, cant stand them. the 2-3-2 set up favors LA

He did look that way.

He looked like the KG of old in the series before.

It's one game, and based on history, game one outcomes (aside from Phil Jackson coached teams) have meant little. There are many examples of teams being blown out in game one and going on to win the series.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 09:52:26 AM »
KG looked the same to me in the last series.  He's only averaging about 14 a game in the playoffs.  I don't know what he averaged against Orlando, but couldn't have been much more than that.  He only scored 10 points in game 6 against Orlando.  He was also being guarded by Rashard Lewis. 

Came across this blurb and thought it was kinda funny:

Gasol driven to 'embarrass' KG

Pau Gasol is being driven by a long memory. [Gasol] never forgets the way Kevin Garnett belittled and humiliated him, treating the European's arrival to the NBA as an invitation to berate him with sharp words and sharper elbows. Gasol hates Garnett for it, they will tell you. There's a visceral disdain that's stayed with the Los Angeles Lakers star, an obsession that goes beyond beating Garnett, but embarrassing him. When Gasol grabbed a rebound over Garnett late in the Lakers' 102-89 Game 1 victory, missed a shot, grabbed the ball again and laid it into the basket, he couldn't help himself. Out of nowhere, out of character, Gasol flexed his arms and screamed into the Staples Center din. It was an unmistakable mimic of K.G., a sarcastic ode to a bully he vows will never take his lunch money again.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba?eref=sihp

I think there will be at least one flagrant foul in game 2. 

body88

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »
KG played very good in the Orlando series; the Celtics are not a team that depends on a single player to win a game. When playing well, multiple players score, which is why no one has led the team in scoring on consecutive nights.

Gasol has proven that he is a flopping pussy, so I don't really have an opinion on that article. Trash talk is part of the NBA, and Gasol can't embarrass KG, because everyone knows KG s on the back nine of his career, and if the two met while KG was in his prime, Gasol would be the one getting embarrassed. Shit, two years ago KG schooled him and he was pretty much on the back nine then, also.

I love the overaction from Lakers fans (not talking about you). One win and all the sudden its all over (it might be over, but don't be so quick to gloat). "They" said the same thing when the Cavs spanked the Celtics early in that series.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
KG played very good in the Orlando series; the Celtics are not a team that depends on a single player to win a game. When playing well, multiple players score, which is why no one has led the team in scoring on consecutive nights.

Gasol has proven that he is a flopping pussy, so I don't really have an opinion on that article. Trash talk is part of the NBA, and Gasol can't embarrass KG, because everyone knows KG s on the back nine of his career, and if the two met while KG was in his prime, Gasol would be the one getting embarrassed. Shit, two years ago KG schooled him and he was pretty much on the back nine then, also.

I love the overaction from Lakers fans (not talking about you). One win and all the sudden its all over (it might be over, but don't be so quick to gloat). "They" said the same thing when the Cavs spanked the Celtics early in that series.
X2

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »

I agree a player doesn't have to score a lot of points to play a great game.  Bynum is one example.  Odom another.  Still, I didn't really see "great" from KG and he was guarded by a very weak defender in Lewis.   

Gasoft was soft, but "a floping pussy"?  I wouldn't go that far.  He was one of the most skilled big men in the league before he was traded, which is why probably every GM in the NBA dropped F bombs after the trade. 

I don't place much on trash talk, "bulletin board material" and whatnot when professional athletes are involved. 

This series is far from over.  Anyone who thinks the series is over is crazy. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2010, 09:28:51 AM »
This brouhaha is silly.  I heard a reporter say the Celtics have watched Pau's comments twice and will watch it again before game 2.   ::)

Gasol's assessment of KG on mark
Celtics had better hope Garnett shows more going forward
By Peter May
Special to ESPNBoston.com

LOS ANGELES -- They were utterly benign remarks. They were honest, thoughtful, articulate, measured and, most of all, accurate. Pau Gasol said Kevin Garnett has lost some of his explosiveness. Gasol also said that everyone slows down over time. Gasol also praised Garnett, calling him "a terrific player, a terrific competitor."

That constitutes trash talk/bulletin board material now?

Apparently it does, at least in the small but active brains of some media members who tried to get Garnett to respond to Gasol's supposed "inflammatory" comments on Friday. Garnett said he was "not going to get caught up with Pau talking about whatever. I'm not going to play those games. I'm going to stick to my guns and not take any of this [expletive] that's going on. You know what I mean?"

Here's what got everyone's blood boiling, figuratively. Gasol was asked how much Garnett's game has changed over the years.

"On Kevin's part, he's lost a little of his explosiveness," Gasol said. "He's more of a jump shooter now, you could say, comes off the lane. Before, he had a really, really quick first step and was getting to the lane and was more aggressive then. Time passes and we all suffer it one way or another, but he is still a terrific player, a terrific competitor and he's going to bring everything he's got. You can count on that."

Not quite the same thing as Cedric Maxwell mocking Bernard King in 1984, adding that in no way was "the b---- going to score 40 on me." But in the politically correct era in which we live, an honest assessment of an opponent, warts and all, amounts to calumny or slander.

What made Gasol/Garnett a storyline after Game 1 was the former's total dominance of the latter. Gasol was fluid, active and aggressive, the unquestioned star of the game, with 23 points, 14 rebounds and three blocked shots in the Lakers' 102-89 whuppin' of the Celtics on Thursday night.

Garnett? He was Mikki Moore. Through three quarters, the 6-foot-11 Garnett had one rebound. One. He finished with four, but two of those were off his own misses, one of which was an uncontested dunk/layup that he bungled. He looked like the Kevin Garnett we saw a lot of in the regular season, the one who got faked out by Ersan Ilyasova or beaten off the dribble by Andray Blatche. He looked nothing like the Kevin Garnett who averaged 19 points and 8 rebounds against the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

The big unknown -- and for the Celtics, it is a big unknown -- is whether the Game 1 Garnett is, for whatever reason, the real Garnett. If it is, the Celtics are doomed. He really didn't have a great series in the conference finals against Orlando -- 14 points and 12 rebounds in the Game 4 loss was his high point -- and he was, like many of his teammates, awful in Game 1 against L.A.

More on Celtics-Lakers

But to hear the talk Friday, both sides expect the terrifying, menacing, lane-clogging, constantly talking and more effective Garnett to make his NBA Finals debut in Game 2.

He had better.

There's no question as to the will. The question is what he has left to give.

"I expect him and the whole team to be more aggressive," Gasol said. "And with a sense of urgency, understanding the importance of Game 2. But I expect us to be more aggressive and be ready for the type of intensity they might bring."

Said Garnett, "I've got to be in control, be more aggressive. What I do well is make plays for other guys, bring a sense of making sure guys are communicating defensively, bringing a solid presence to that end, and I did none of those things [in Game 1]."

In the aftermath of the opener, Garnett said he played "like horse-[bleep]." He was not a happy man. When asked if Garnett would even talk to the media after Game 1, a Celtics public relations official said, "I don't know. When he's like that, I don't go near him."

Doc Rivers, the Celtics' head coach, said he thought Garnett was too "hyped up" for the series opener and wasn't able to slow himself down and get any kind of rhythm or tempo. But Rivers also acknowledged the obvious. His most important player stunk.

"He didn't have a great game," Rivers said of Garnett. "But he's fine healthwise and all that. With our team, whenever we don't play well, it always comes down to either health or age. It's usually we just don't play well. I thought it was more of that.

"He had one of those nights," Rivers added. "We all have them. We're just not used to seeing him have them unless there's something wrong. But he's fine. I can guarantee you that."

He just can't do the things he used to do when he was younger, quicker and more agile. That's nature. The Celtics can only hope he is able to do what he did two weeks ago against the Cavaliers. They can live with Kobe Bryant getting 30. They cannot live with Gasol overpowering their best defensive player and turning him into a cipher.

Longtime Celtics reporter Peter May is a contributor to ESPNBoston.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=5253411

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
;D good call
The French Open had me in  a big tennis mood!
((-::