Author Topic: Celtics vs Lakers  (Read 16005 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: Celtics vs Lakers
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »
Which is the point I was trying to make at the start of the series.

Odem is not a bench player. He's a bench player who plays starter minutes and is very up and down. He can kill you or do nothing. He did nothing last night, and outside Odem, the Lakers bench does not match up well with the Celtics. Outside Odem, the Lakers bench is a liability. Davis is better than any Lakers bench player, and if bench players are forced to play extended minutes because Kobe has to focus on Rondo....ruh ro.

Rondo is the key. If he plays well the Lakers are in trouble. Especially with this thing going back to Boston 1-1.

Rondo is definately the key to this series in my mind if he is on the Lakers could be in trouble.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:03 PM »
The Lakers don't need an answer for Rondo.  They didn't have an answer for Nash or Williams from Utah, and Williams is the best point guard in the NBA.  The Lakers hardly ever have an answer for an opposing team's point guard.

What the Lakers have to do is pound the ball inside, keep playing good D on Pierce, and stop leaving Allen wide open for threes.  They contained Allen in the second half.  I doubt we see career nights from Allen.  He hasn't been that consistent in the playoffs.

And think about this:  Boston won by 9 points (it was actually closer than that), which means they needed pretty much every single one of Ray Allen's threes.     

Regarding turnovers, the Lakers made several bone headed turnovers down the stretch that cost them the game. 

Great series so far. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »
Just a tad overconfident.   :)

Another bold comment from Pierce
ESPNBoston.com

Striking a similar tone as he did in Orlando in the Eastern Conference finals, Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce directed a bold prediction at Lakers fans in the final minutes of his team's victory in Game 2 of the NBA Finals on Sunday night in Los Angeles.

Forsberg: Nothing wrong with confidence

What exactly did Paul Pierce say that was wrong? Should athletes not believe their teams are capable of winning three straight games? Is there not a possibility that the Celtics could actually win three more games in a row and not have to fly back to the West Coast? Chris Forsberg

After Pau Gasol committed a hard foul on Kendrick Perkins with 1:12 remaining in Game 2 and the Celtics leading, 97-90, Pierce, as he helped his teammate off the floor along the baseline near the hoop, was heard on video replays yelling, "We ain't coming back to LA!"

The Celtics evened the NBA Finals at a game apiece with a 103-94 victory on Sunday and can lock up their second NBA title in three years by winning the next three games -- all in Boston. Pierce, who grew up in Los Angeles, seemed to be referring to the possibility of the series not returning to the West Coast in his comment.

After leading the Celtics with 24 points in Game 1, Pierce struggled in Game 2, scoring 10 points on 2-of-11 shooting.

This isn't the first time during these playoffs that Pierce incited anger in an opposing team's fan base with a bold statement. After a Game 2 victory against the Magic in Orlando, which gave the Celtics a 2-0 series lead, Pierce looked into the camera during a postgame interview on ESPN and told Celtics fans "We're coming home to close it out."

A message also appears on Pierce's Twitter account inferring the Celtics were going to sweep the Magic, but Pierce later said the account was hacked and that message did not come from him.

The Celtics lost one of the next two games in Boston and returned to Orlando for Game 5, but eventually closed out the Magic in Game 6 in Boston.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5261222

body88

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »

The ironic thing about this, is all the Laker fans who were talking smack about the Celts using the Llama's comments as motivation, are know running wild using these comments as motivation.

It's funny how both fan bases are totally ridiculous, ha-ha.

body88

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
The Lakers don't need an answer for Rondo.  They didn't have an answer for Nash or Williams from Utah, and Williams is the best point guard in the NBA.  The Lakers hardly ever have an answer for an opposing team's point guard.

This is wrong. I'm sorry, but if Rondo is allowed to do what he did in game 2, the Lakers will lose the series.

The reason Allen was contained in the second half was because Kobe shut him off, which allowed Rondo to run wild, and if Rondo is running wild, he's running the Celtics the way that leads to multiple scoring threats and ball distribution.

Utah is a totally different team, so I'm not even going to waste time on that argument.

Rondo does things unlike any other pg in the NBA. He's a freakish athlete.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/playoffs/2010/06/07/20100606_phantom_bos_3.nba/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »

The ironic thing about this, is all the Laker fans who were talking smack about the Celts using the Llama's comments as motivation, are know running wild using these comments as motivation.

It's funny how both fan bases are totally ridiculous, ha-ha.

Really?  Where? 

body88

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
Really?  Where? 

On Bruce Jacobs show. Not you. My friends who live in LA, etc.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2010, 06:00:05 PM »

This is wrong. I'm sorry, but if Rondo is allowed to do what he did in game 2, the Lakers will lose the series.

The reason Allen was contained in the second half was because Kobe shut him off, which allowed Rondo to run wild, and if Rondo is running wild, he's running the Celtics the way that leads to multiple scoring threats and ball distribution.

Utah is a totally different team, so I'm not even going to waste time on that argument.

Rondo does things unlike any other pg in the NBA. He's a freakish athlete.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/playoffs/2010/06/07/20100606_phantom_bos_3.nba/

Rondo has turned into a great player, but he's not going to carry the Celtics to a championship.  He can score his 10 to 18 points, dish, grab some rebounds, etc., and they will lose unless someone else steps up.  

He won't do any more damage than Nash, who had better all around shooters than Boston, or Williams, or even Westbrook.  

If the Celtics had run the Lakers off the court, led by Rondo, you might have a point.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
On Bruce Jacobs show. Not you. My friends who live in LA, etc.

That's dumb.  I'll say the same thing I said about Pau's comments:  if the Lakers need comments like this to get motivated they are in serious trouble. 

body88

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »

The Celtics did do that until Sheldon Williams touched the ball  :o  Yikes.

Rondo scored 19 points, had the first triple double in the finals since 2003, scored over 7 footers, ran the point well and set the tempo which helped the Celtics dominate for a large portion of the game. Rondo has proven he can score more than 19 points and take over games against very good teams in the playoffs.

As mentioned, if Rondo cannot be contained, the Lakers will open themselves up to guys like Allen (who had a historic night) but will continue to do damage if he is getting wide open looks, because bench players are forced to guard him (who can't gaurd him) while Kobe takes care of Rondo.

Peirce will have a good game or two, and frankly, Artest's amazing d is negated by his horrid ball handling, inability to score and general affinity for fucking shit up on the offensive side of the ball.

On a side note, do you know why Kobe and Allen dislike one another? I heard Sir Charles mention that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »
The Celtics did do that until Sheldon Williams touched the ball.

They ran the Lakers off the floor until Sheldon Williams touched the ball?  He played for four minutes.  

Boston had a six point lead at the half was down by three late in the fourth.  

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »
The Celtics did do that until Sheldon Williams touched the ball.
Yep celts have got to keep Garnett out of foulf trouble he has had a rough series Wallace has stepped up to cover so far.

body88

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
They ran the Lakers off the floor until Sheldon Williams touched the ball?  He played for four minutes.  

Boston had a six point lead at the half was done by three late in the fourth.  

Beach, the Celtics dominated a huge portion of that game and before the half stupid mistakes and poor ball handling cost them several possesions. You act as if the Laker's stormed back and kicked ass while the Celtics played their best game. The Celtics let them back in, and in the end, it wasn't enough anyway.  Celtics foul trouble forced role players to play extended min which led to poor possesions and such.

I'm not saying that the Celtics are a much better team. Both teams are pretty even, actually.

I'm interested to hear what you think about the second portion of my post, above.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »
Beach, the Celtics dominated a huge portion of that game and before the half stupid mistakes and poor ball handling cost them several possesions. You act as if the Laker's stormed back and kicked ass while the Celtics played their best game. The Celtics let them back in, and in the end, it wasn't enough anyway.  Celtics foul trouble forced role players to play extended min which led to poor possesions and such.

I'm not saying that the Celtics are a much better team. Both teams are pretty even, actually.

I'm interested to hear what you think about the second portion of my post, above.

Body I didn't say any of that.  I said if the Celtics had run the Lakers off the court, led by Rondo, then I would agree with you that the Lakers need an "answer" for Rondo to win the series.  Didn't say anything about the Lakers kicking anyone's butt, the Celtics playing at the top of their game, etc.

The Celtics haven't been playing their best basketball on offense because the Lakers have been playing good defense.   

The Celtics didn't dominate a huge portion of the game.  They won the first and fourth quarters and Lakers won the second and third quarters.  The only time they had a large lead was when Ray Allen drained his seven threes in the first half.  The game was tight the entire second half.  The game was a complete toss up till about 2 minutes to play. 

Not sure what portion of your post you want me to address?  Can you clarify?   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:42 PM »
Interesting stats.  If history is any guide, game 3 is the series. 

1. Top Things To Know For Game 3
Compiled by Peter Newmann
ESPN Stats & Information

•  In the 2-3-2 series format (since 1985), when the NBA Finals is tied 1-1, the winner of Game 3 has gone on to win the series on all 10 occasions.

•  How important is Game 3 of the NBA Finals? In NBA Finals history, the series has been tied 1-1 on 32 occasions. The Game 3 winner has gone on to win 28 of those 32 series (87.5 percent).

•  On the defensive end, Boston's magic number to win is 95. The Celtics are 12-0 when allowing 95 or fewer points this postseason. Boston is 1-6 when allowing 96 points or more.

•  Many people thought Game 1 of the NBA Finals was a fairly ugly game after a combined 54 fouls were called on the two teams. In Game 2, there were even more fouls called. Referees called a combined 58 fouls in Game 2. There have been 112 fouls called in the first two games of the NBA Finals, the most in the first two games of the NBA Finals since 1996 NBA Finals (113 fouls -- 56 in Game 1, 57 in Game 2.)

•  Remember that the Celtics were 3-0 at home against the Lakers in the 2008 NBA Finals, including the 39-point clincher in Game 6. Boston's averaging margin of victory in those three games was 18.3 points. Games 3, 4 and 5 will be played in Boston.

•  The Lakers were just 23-18 on the road in the regular season, which was tied for third-best in the Western Conference and tied for sixth in the NBA. Los Angeles is 4-4 on the road in the postseason.

•  The Lakers scored 94 points in Game 2's loss to the Celtics. It was the first time that the Lakers had failed to score at least 100 points in 11 straight games. Los Angeles had scored at least 100 points in every game since Game 1 of the conference semifinals against the Jazz and were 9-2 during that 11-game streak.

•  In Game 2, the Lakers had 14 blocked shots, setting a NBA Finals record. Andrew Bynum had seven blocks and Pau Gasol had six as they became the first teammates in Finals history to each have five or more blocks in a game.

•  In this series, Kobe Bryant is a combined 1-6 FG (four total points) in 54 possessions when guarded by Tony Allen or Rajon Rondo. Bryant had 42 touches in those 54 possessions. In 16 possessions when defended by Rondo in this series, Bryant has 14 touches but has not attempted a shot and scored zero points.

•  Bynum had 21 points in Game 2 of the NBA Finals, which tied his postseason career high. He also had 21 points in Game 5 against the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round. Bynum had seven blocks in the conference finals (six games) against the Suns. Bynum had six blocks in Game 2 against the Celtics in the NBA Finals.

•  The Celtics had zero second-chance points in their Game 1 loss to the Lakers. In Game 2, Boston had 13 second-chance points.

• Ray Allen made an NBA Finals-record eight three-pointers in Game 2. Seven of those were of the catch-and-shoot variety, meaning no dribbles once he caught the ball.

•  To put a little perspective on how phenomenal Allen's accomplishment was, our friends at Accuscore.com simulated the game 10,000 times: Allen hit seven consecutive three-pointers 11 times in 10,000 simulations, or 0.11 percent of the time. Allen hit seven in a row in the first half in just two of 10,000 simulations.

•  Rondo had a triple-double for the Celtics in Game 2. It was the first triple-double in the Finals for a Boston player since Larry Bird had one in Game 6 in the 1986 NBA Finals. The last player to have a triple-double in the NBA Finals was Tim Duncan for the Spurs in 2003 (Game 6).

•  Rondo is the barometer for the Celtics. In the 2010 postseason, when Rondo's plus/minus is +2 or better, Boston is 13-0. When it is +1, even or negative, Boston is 0-6.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100608/daily-dime

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
Fisher's response to Paul Pierce's statement that Boston will win the next three.   :)

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=136778@kcbs.dayport.com

lol . . . .

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »
Tough win.  I figured Ray Allen would cool off, but didn't see 0-13 coming.   :o 

Kobe looked gassed in the fourth.

Great game by KG, although he still looked tired late in the game.

I thought the Celtics bench kept them in the game, but when I looked at the box score after the game the bench scoring was about equal.  Very surprising, because it didn't look that way during the game.

Artest does another good job on Pierce.  That might be the key to the series. 

I just love Fish.  Little bulldog.     

The refs absolutely suck.  Just terrible officiating in this series. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
Tough win.  I figured Ray Allen would cool off, but didn't see 0-13 coming.   :o 

Kobe looked gassed in the fourth.

Great game by KG, although he still looked tired late in the game.

I thought the Celtics bench kept them in the game, but when I looked at the box score after the game the bench scoring was about equal.  Very surprising, because it didn't look that way during the game.

Artest does another good job on Pierce.  That might be the key to the series. 

I just love Fish.  Little bulldog.     

The refs absolutely suck.  Just terrible officiating in this series. 

There was the difference Ray Allen . This will go 7.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »
There was the difference Ray Allen . This will go 7.

He's not going to set another NBA record.  He'll hit some, miss most. 

They played much better D on Allen.  He's really a one dimensional player.  He can't consistently create his own shot.  He has to catch and shoot.  Plus he was probably tired from chasing Kobe. 

I'll be surprised if this goes 7. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »
I wonder if the tape included the numerous offensive fouls that were not called on Boston and the Rondo foul on Odom on the out-of-bounds play late in the game?   :)

Rivers complains about officiating
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

BOSTON -- Doc Rivers spent quite a bit of time Wednesday discussing the state of the officiating in the NBA Finals after sending a videotape to the league office documenting what he said were several uncalled offensive fouls against the Los Angeles Lakers. It may have been an off day Wednesday in the L.A.-Boston series, but Rivers was very much on his game when it came to working the refs.

"I think it was a ton of moving screens they got away with," Rivers said the day after the Celtics' 91-84 loss to the Lakers in Game 3 put the Celtics behind 2-1 in the best-of-7 series. "As far as off-the-ball action ... you are not allowed to hold, you are not allowed to bump, and you are not allowed to impede progress. I read that this morning, and I'm positive of it. So, you know, when that happens it has to be called."

Rivers said he had sent a tape to the league office documenting several instances in which the Lakers were not called for moving screen violations, a type of offensive foul. By his count, the Celtics were called for one such violation and the Lakers none.

Rivers also commented on the general state of officiating in the NBA and how it differs from when he was a player. Although it did not appear as though he had said anything egregious enough to merit a fine from the league office, commissioner David Stern will have the final say on that matter -- and Stern has shown less tolerance than in past years for coaches working the refs in between games.

Rivers also continued to sound incredulous that Lakers coach Phil Jackson had complained about the foul calls against Kobe Bryant in Game 2 (Jackson called them "unusual fouls") when Bryant racked up five personals, noting that foul trouble had impacted his own team much more than it had the Lakers.

"I think he [Phil Jackson] is good, I think we're all pretty good at it," Rivers said. "But listen, if Phil Jackson says something the day before and it happens, I hope that has nothing to do with the officials."

In Game 3, Paul Pierce was limited to 34 minutes because of foul trouble. In Game 2 it was Kevin Garnett who spent more than half the game watching from the bench because of fouls, and in Game 1 Ray Allen was the recipient of at least two questionable foul calls that limited him to 27 minutes.

"It's huge," Rivers said. "We've had all three games where one of our quote-unquote Big Three has not been able to play.

"Last night, Paul was never in his rhythm. He couldn't be. He played for four minutes, he was back on the bench, played for five minutes. I mean, I played Paul at times last night when I should not have had him on the floor with four fouls, but I had no choice. You've got to get him on the floor at some point.

"But it clearly -- you know, we watched film today, and I showed Paul, it's funny. I said 'Paul, that's a driving lane. You've got to get to the basket.' His response was: 'I was worried about getting another foul.' It's tough to play that way." Through three games, the Celtics have been whistled for 84 personal fouls to the Lakers' 75. Pierce and Kevin Garnett have been whistled for 13 fouls apiece, while Lamar Odom of the Lakers leads all players with 14 personals. Odom has played an average of just 21 minutes per game after averaging nearly 30 minutes over the first three rounds of the postseason.

The Lakers have attempted 96 free throws in the three games to Boston's 86, and there has generally been an inordinate amount of conversation over the past six days regarding the quality of the refereeing.

"When I played, it was just two officials, so that was a while ago," Rivers said. "And I also thought back then it was more they just called the game, what they saw. Now, it's much more technical and in some ways better, and in some ways not, because officials won't call something that's not in their area, if you know what I mean, even if they see it at times.

"But it's tough. I think the game is more athletic, the game is faster, and it's brutal. We're hard on them, everybody is hard on them. But it's a difficult game to call," Rivers said. "I think what we all want is just consistency. It's tough to get that, but I think that's what everybody wants."

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5268744

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Waaaa!  Who does he think he is, Phil Jackson?   :D

Rivers: Fisher a really good flopper
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

BOSTON -- Count Celtics coach Doc Rivers as one person who won't be marching in the Derek Fisher appreciation parade that commenced Tuesday after the 14-year veteran scored 11 of his 16 points in the fourth quarter to lead the Lakers to a 91-84 Game 3 victory in the Finals.

When asked how Fisher was able to be so successful drawing fouls while being screened, Rivers replied: "What? Besides flopping? He doesn't do a lot extra.

"He plays hard. He's been in the game long enough to understand. I thought he got away with a lot last night. I thought there was a lot of holding going on and a lot of flopping going on and he finally showed that last one."

Fisher was able to draw three offensive fouls in Game 3, one on Kendrick Perkins in the first quarter and two more on Ray Allen in the second and fourth quarters.

"He's good at it, he's always been good at it," Rivers said. "We knew that going into the series. He's one of the best charge takers in the game. He's always been that. And some of them are charges and then some of them are flops, but all of them are tough to call. It is a brutal call to make; it really is a tough one.

"But as far as the off-the-ball action, single double action, you are not allowed to hold. You're not allowed to bump and you're not allowed to impede progress. I read that this morning, and I'm positive of it. So you know, when that happens, it has to be called."

Fisher said he is able to draw as many offensive fouls as he does because of the nature of the players who he is guarding.

"Guys that I play against every night are involved in 30, sometimes 40 different actions, screen rolls, screens, back picks," Fisher said. "So if three times out of 40 there's an offensive foul called, it's not that I've done anything spectacular necessarily to draw the foul. I just think that because I'm in that situation so many times in a game, you know, there are just times when the referee sees it and makes the call and then there are other times where it's still an illegal screen, they just didn't see it or didn't call it and that's just a part of the game."

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said that Allen was so successful in Game 2, going 8-for-11 on 3-pointers, partially because of how the officials allowed him to elude Fisher's defense through contact.

"[Allen] was able to go both ways be walking Fish into a position where he was taken off balance," Jackson said. "So he couldn't hold his ground, he had to give ground because he was getting called for a foul ... Allen had either way to go off the screens, and we wanted to go one direction and we wanted to hold that position. We wanted to be able to have a defensive position, allow the defensive player and the offensive player, not dislodge the defensive player, which is part of the rules."

Boston has been called for nine more personal fouls through three games than Los Angeles has and an irritated Rivers said that he sent "a lot" of video to the league offices pointing out what he perceived as moving picks set by the Lakers.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Fisher has drawn 20 offensive fouls in the playoffs, more than any other player this postseason -- second and third are Boston's Glen Davis (11) and Paul Pierce (10).

During the regular season, Fisher drew 48 offensive fouls, which tied him for fifth in the league. (Jared Jeffries, who split his season with New York and Houston, drew an NBA-high 59 in 2009-10.)

Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com. Follow him on Twitter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5268743

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »
this series is over.

body88

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »
this series is over.

Celtics win. Series tied 2-2

I don't expect kneejerk reactions out of you, Athiest.

This series is far from over, and as the Celtics showed tonight, their bench is starting to be the x factor in these games. Infact, the bench was responsible for a large portion of their points tonight, with big time performances from Robinson, Allen on D and Baby. The bench won the game, and multiple starters contributed, also. Pierce, Garnett and Allen all played well -- (all in all 6 players in double figures). Finally, the Celtics are playing as a team, and when they play like this, it's hard to beat them. I hope they keep it up.

As mentioned in one of my posts awhile back, Bynums's knee has become an issue, and I don't expect much from him for the rest of the series. Odem will be forced to play more and now the Lakers might be a little thin on the bench, and obviously their length advantage has been somewhat equalized.

Kobe "went off" tonight, and was hitting shots left and right. Good that is happened in a loss. Tony Allen did a great job on him late.

Celtics win the last game of this series, loose in LA and win game 7.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
Another good game.  My observations:

- Davis and Robinson were the difference for Boston on offense.  They carried Boston. 

- Kobe was awful.  He looks hurt.  Not sure what it is.  His seven turnovers were a killer.  I think nearly all of them led to Boston points.  He shot o.k., but he didn't even try getting to the basket for most of the game.  That, in my view, was the difference in the game. 

- The Laker offense was terrible.  Didn't move the ball.  Failed to work the ball inside.

- Pau is a stud.

- Many of the Boston players act like schoolyard punks.  "Big Baby" was literally foaming at the mouth after making a good play.  KG pounding his chest.  Nate Robinson getting a T.  Rasheed crying like a girl every single time a foul is called on him.   ::)

Following the pattern of the Lakers in these playoffs, I think they probably win the next two. 

Good series.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »
Act like you've made a play before.   ::)