Author Topic: Brewer: driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship  (Read 4054 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Brewer: driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »
June 1, 2010

"But Brewer said Tuesday the law does not target an individual's specific race. She also made clear driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06/01/obama.arizona.governor/index.html?hpt=C1

???

Did she say that on the clip?  Here is the excerpt from the article:

But Brewer said Tuesday the law does not target an individual's specific race. She also made clear driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship.

"It wouldn't matter if you are Latino or Hispanic or Norwegian," she said. "If you didn't have proof of citizenship and the police officer had reasonable suspicion, he would ask and verify your citizenship. I mean, that's the way that it is. That's what the federal law says. And that's what the law in Arizona says."

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 12:54:13 PM »
Did she say that on the clip?  Here is the excerpt from the article:

But Brewer said Tuesday the law does not target an individual's specific race. She also made clear driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship.

"It wouldn't matter if you are Latino or Hispanic or Norwegian," she said. "If you didn't have proof of citizenship and the police officer had reasonable suspicion, he would ask and verify your citizenship. I mean, that's the way that it is. That's what the federal law says. And that's what the law in Arizona says."

I can't watch the clip.  I just read the article.  Beach, if driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship, do you see what's wrong with this?  Are citizens now required to carry passports or birth certificates with them at all times if they drive through Arizona?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »
I can't watch the clip.  I just read the article.  Beach, if driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship, do you see what's wrong with this?  Are citizens now required to carry passports or birth certificates with them at all times if they drive through Arizona?

I think it is burdensome for American citizens to have to carry anything other than a DL or state ID to prove citizenship during something like a traffic stop or other encounter with law enforcement.  States ought to make people provide proof of citizenship before issuing DLs and IDs. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 01:11:35 PM »
the clip doesnt say anything about this and neither does the article

all it says is But Brewer said Tuesday the law does not target an individual's specific race. She also made clear driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship.

where in there or the clip does it give anything that leads to that conclusion?... ::) not all states require you to prove citizenship for a drivers license so maybe if she did allude to that she was referring to that...

nothing in the clip or article that I have read would bring anybody to the conclusion that this thread is about... :o

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »
the clip doesnt say anything about this and neither does the article

all it says is But Brewer said Tuesday the law does not target an individual's specific race. She also made clear driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship.

where in there or the clip does it give anything that leads to that conclusion?... ::) not all states require you to prove citizenship for a drivers license so maybe if she did allude to that she was referring to that...

nothing in the clip or article that I have read would bring anybody to the conclusion that this thread is about... :o

tonymctones,

What are you talking about?  It is right there in the article, and you yourself quoted it above.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
If this is true,then Id say the law is crap.A drivers license should be enough to prove citizenship.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »
Phoenix Vice Mayor Michael Nowakowski sent a letter to City Manager David Cavazos, suggesting that if the bill becomes law, police should request citizenship proof from everyone they stop in order to avoid charges of racial profiling.

The bill states that an Arizona driver's license is sufficient to prove citizenship. Nowakowski argued that licenses from other states, however, may not be sufficient because some states do not require proof of citizenship to get a license, as Arizona does.

"That means that anyone who drives in the city of Phoenix and gets pulled over better have a passport or a visa," he said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/04/21/20100421arizona-immigration-bill.html#ixzz0pjHcSSYe

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 01:31:50 PM »
Phoenix Vice Mayor Michael Nowakowski sent a letter to City Manager David Cavazos, suggesting that if the bill becomes law, police should request citizenship proof from everyone they stop in order to avoid charges of racial profiling.

The bill states that an Arizona driver's license is sufficient to prove citizenship. Nowakowski argued that licenses from other states, however, may not be sufficient because some states do not require proof of citizenship to get a license, as Arizona does.

"That means that anyone who drives in the city of Phoenix and gets pulled over better have a passport or a visa," he said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2010/04/21/20100421arizona-immigration-bill.html#ixzz0pjHcSSYe

Thats insane!!Who carries a passport when your going from say Indiana to AZ?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 01:41:46 PM »
tonymctones,

What are you talking about?  It is right there in the article, and you yourself quoted it above.
what did she say that brought the author to that conclusion? I understand the article says that but if you read it there is nothing to suppor that statement in the article...KINDA LIKE IF YOU READ THE LAW there is nothing to support the idea that it promotes racial profiling... ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »

This is what I said, and is what is likely meant by the intentionally misleading article and thread...

if the states did what they needed to than guess what arizona wouldnt need this law...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »
This is what I said, and is what is likely meant by the intentionally misleading article and thread...

if the states did what they needed to than guess what arizona wouldnt need this law...

Are you okay with Arizona law enforcement requesting citizenship proof from everyone they stop?  Are you okay with Arizona requiring all American citizens visiting the state to have their passport or birth certificate at all times?  

According to Phoenix Vice Mayor Michael Nowakowski, that is the case no matter what the law says.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »
Are you okay with Arizona law enforcement to request citizenship proof from everyone they stop?  Are you okay with Arizona requiring all American citizens visiting the state to have their passport or birth certificate at all times? 

According to Phoenix Vice Mayor Michael Nowakowski, that is the case no matter what the law says.
LOL man you like to twist the facts dont you...

first off they never said that out of state licenses wouldnt count as proof they said they MAY not count as proof....

second off yes im ok with LEO requesting PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION, which if the states did their jobs would be sufficient in ascertaining proof of citizenship

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »
LOL man you like to twist the facts dont you...

first off they never said that out of state licenses wouldnt count as proof they said they MAY not count as proof....

second off yes im ok with LEO requesting PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION, which if the states did their jobs would be sufficient in ascertaining proof of citizenship

The law is crap no matter what.  It says that out of state licenses do count as proof of citizenship, when everybody knows that some states do not require proof of citizenship to get a license, as Arizona does.  So how can that be sufficient proof?  

You say "if states did their jobs."  What is that supposed to mean?  You already know some states don't require proof of citizenship to get a license.  How can anybody enforce the Arizona law this way?  It doesn't make any sense.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
So to everyone who supports this law...

Are you now okay with AZ police requiring PASSPORT or BIRTH CERTIFICATE of people they stop?

And do you want such a law in your state?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
I thought central issuance of driver's licenses required stricter ID standards in order to prevent fake ID's, among others.
Not every state requires citizens to carry identification with them.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »
So to everyone who supports this law...

Are you now okay with AZ police requiring PASSPORT or BIRTH CERTIFICATE of people they stop?

And do you want such a law in your state?

If it meant ridding my state of every scumbag pofs illegal alien stealing and raping my state blind yes absolutely.

NYS is on the brink of fiscal collapse and the illegal alien vermin are greatly adding to this mess.  

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
She probably meant that if the person provides a bogus out of state license that proves fraudulent, that alone will not be enough to stop further inquiry. 

Here in NY, the illegals all get NC drivers licenses, which are utter bs.
Many illegals come from NC and work their way up the Eastern seaboard. Prince William Co, Va in effect, threw them out, then they came to MD, which is like a "safe state", it's almost like "slave states", "free states", and "border states". Maryland has mad a move to stop being "santuary".

Many drive w/o licenses, and when questioned say that it cost too much.
I have personally seen a dude wearing a Mexican b-ball jersey, Mexican flag tattoo on his arm, and has been living in NC for 5 yrs and has never gotten a NC license! He said he applied 2 yrs ago...he was in MD, but he works in Delaware.

Then the Guatemalan Consulate helps get people "papers", or should I say "provides papers"...one big scam.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
The law is crap no matter what.  It says that out of state licenses do count as proof of citizenship, when everybody knows that some states do not require proof of citizenship to get a license, as Arizona does.  So how can that be sufficient proof?  

You say "if states did their jobs."  What is that supposed to mean?  You already know some states don't require proof of citizenship to get a license.  How can anybody enforce the Arizona law this way?  It doesn't make any sense.
show me where this bill states that out of state licenses count as proof...

you make it seem that they are only going off of drivers licenses...even if you have a valid drivers license but it maybe tampered with then they are still going to ask you questions more than likely...

you get stuck on one thing loco and miss the forest for the trees...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
show me where this bill states that out of state licenses count as proof...

you make it seem that they are only going off of drivers licenses...even if you have a valid drivers license but it maybe tampered with then they are still going to ask you questions more than likely...

you get stuck on one thing loco and miss the forest for the trees...

The bill states that a person is presumed to not be an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States if the person provides to the law enforcement officer any valid state or local government issued identification.

http://www.keytlaw.com/blog/2010/04/anti-illegal-immigration-law-part-1/

An out of state drivers license is a valid state issued identification, but not necessarily proof of citizenship.  This law doesn't make any sense.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
If it meant ridding my state of every scumbag pofs illegal alien stealing and raping my state blind yes absolutely.

Well, we all know that removing EVERY illegal is impossible, so... is that a NO?

We now know that in many circumstances, police in AZ will need to see a passport or birth cert when they stop you.  And they are now going to card everyone they stop.

So is this a good idea in 50 states?  It is suddenly going to make the predictions of "Papers please!" come true, ya know.  Needing to show birth cert or passport to drive in america.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
The bill states that a person is presumed to not be an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States if the person provides to the law enforcement officer any valid state or local government issued identification.

http://www.keytlaw.com/blog/2010/04/anti-illegal-immigration-law-part-1/

An out of state drivers license is a valid state issued identification, but not necessarily proof of citizenship.  This law doesn't make any sense.
actually the revised bill doesnt include that language...AGAIN DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... ;)

legal residents of the United States or otherwise lawfully present in the United States shall submit at least one of the following documents to the entity that administers the federal public benefit demonstrating lawful presence in the United States:

1.  An Arizona driver license issued after 1996 or an Arizona nonoperating identification license.
2.  A birth certificate or delayed birth certificate issued in any state, territory or possession of the United States.
3.  A United States certificate of birth abroad.
4.  A United States passport.
5.  A foreign passport with a United States visa.
6.  An I-94 form with a photograph.
7.  A United States citizenship and immigration services employment authorization document or refugee travel document.
8.  A United States certificate of naturalization.
9.  A United States certificate of citizenship.
10.  A tribal certificate of Indian blood.
11.  A tribal or bureau of Indian affairs affidavit of birth.

not knowing and passing judgement seems to be your thing in regards to this bill loco

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
Well, we all know that removing EVERY illegal is impossible, so... is that a NO?

We now know that in many circumstances, police in AZ will need to see a passport or birth cert when they stop you.  And they are now going to card everyone they stop.

So is this a good idea in 50 states?  It is suddenly going to make the predictions of "Papers please!" come true, ya know.  Needing to show birth cert or passport to drive in america.
we already live in a papers now society 240, what do you think a drivers license is?

now will this lead to a more papers please society perhaps just depends on how long ppl want to keep ignoring the problem...the reason we are at this point now is b/c of the actions that are being continued...do you want to be an open borders country? well brosky thats the way we are heading...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
actually the revised bill doesnt include that language...AGAIN DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... ;)

legal residents of the United States or otherwise lawfully present in the United States shall submit at least one of the following documents to the entity that administers the federal public benefit demonstrating lawful presence in the United States:

1.  An Arizona driver license issued after 1996 or an Arizona nonoperating identification license.
2.  A birth certificate or delayed birth certificate issued in any state, territory or possession of the United States.
3.  A United States certificate of birth abroad.
4.  A United States passport.

5.  A foreign passport with a United States visa.
6.  An I-94 form with a photograph.
7.  A United States citizenship and immigration services employment authorization document or refugee travel document.
8.  A United States certificate of naturalization.
9.  A United States certificate of citizenship.

10.  A tribal certificate of Indian blood.
11.  A tribal or bureau of Indian affairs affidavit of birth.

not knowing and passing judgement seems to be your thing in regards to this bill loco

If this is true, then this only confirms what I've been saying all along, and it confirms my fears.  American citizens shouldn't be required to carry these things with them at all times.  But I see Arizona, and soon the rest of your country, will become a police state.  Good luck with that!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »
If this is true, then this only confirms what I've been saying all along, and it confirms my fears.  American citizens shouldn't be required to carry these things with them at all times.  But I see Arizona, and soon the rest of your country, will become a police state.  Good luck with that!
LMAO coming from a person who is against any and all legislation that targets illegals this doesnt mean much  ;)

the same thing could be said for those against this legislation...its going to lead to open borders...

but you see that much like your analogy is a straw man...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
LMAO coming from a person who is against any and all legislation that targets illegals this doesnt mean much  ;)

the same thing could be said for those against this legislation...its going to lead to open borders...

but you see that much like your analogy is a straw man...

It targets non-whites, whether they are American citizens or not.  You can't enforce this law without racial profiling, and both the Mayor and the Vice Mayor of Phoenix agree.

It will turn Arizona into a police state.  I don't see how you can support this.

This law does not address the border at all.  Illegals will get deported only so that they can come right back.

Why are you arguing that Brewer said driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship?  What you posted confirms that what the article claims she said is true.  Why wouldn't she have said it?