Author Topic: bench press routine  (Read 2756 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
bench press routine
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:25:27 AM »
how many times a week should a person bench press???

i am thinking of benching at least twice a week......just wondering what you guys might have to offer???

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: bench press routine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:59:07 AM »
1 day of speed, 1 day of max effort.

thebear

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
I think it's good to mix things up every 6 weeks or so. ME and DE day routines are definitley top notch, but they can become "stale" after a while -in my opinion. I have had good results doing 6 week waves with ME and DE days, GVT,  rest pause type training, and high frerquency training -benching 5 days a week, but you have to be careful with the intensity level or you will fry your CNS -speaking from experience here.
Mike Mahler has some good stuff on HFT as well as Pavel, t-nation has some good routines, also dragondoor,you just have to search a little bit to find them. The HFT system has produced good results for me and it gives my joints a break from all the ME and speed work that tends to break up my shoulders and elbows.
I think assistance work is where you can make or break your benching ability also, it's easy to do way too much of it and wind up killing your bench.
Just my $.02 bro
 :)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:23:14 AM »
I was trained by JM Blakely back in the day, and he had me doing 4*6 on the bench and also 4*6 on close-grip bench every 5 days or so. He would always say that the bench press is 75% triceps. I never did do JM presses though LOL I remember seeing him at one meeting with well over 500 pounds on the bar, and laughing while he had it paused on his chest while waiting for the press signal... A fvcking beast!