Author Topic: What's in your protein drink  (Read 2720 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
What's in your protein drink
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:54 AM »
"Here are the average amounts of metals we found in three servings of these protein drinks. The maximum limits for them in dietary supplements proposed by the U.S. Pharmacopeia are: arsenic (inorganic), 15 micrograms (µg) per day; cadmium, 5 µg; lead, 10 µg; mercury, 15 µg. Amounts at or exceeding those limits are in bold. Experts said three servings a day is common." - Consumer Reports

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: What's in your protein drink
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »
I find their test(s) (chart) very misleading since they're not equal comparisons.
For instance:
EAS' comparison is based on 126 grams of protein and BSN is based on 63 grams of protein.

"serving size" means nothing
:

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
Still interesting.  I read the consumer's report article. 

I use gnc whey, which wasn't on the list.  Hopefully i'm good to go with it.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
It's scary to think that these companies might some day start getting their protein powder from China to keep costs down.  Then we might see high levels of metals, toxic or radioactive waste in our protein drinks.  I'm glad that companies like Consumer Reports and ConsumerLab.com test these products from time to time.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »
We probably absorbed more than these amounts into our systems playing with the “unregulated” toys we had as kids.

Nobody ran laboratory tests on our Happy Meal toys, which, coincidentally, were manufactured in the same countries they are today.
In grade school, my friend and I used to play with tiny lead soldiers his Dad passed down to him.
Sr. Anita had us physically touch & “play” with a daub of Mercury in the chem lab.

We‘re still here.
And come to think of it, none of the kids in my school were ever allergic to peanuts, nor did we have to pop Zyrtec and Benadryl like M&M’s just so we could play outside in the summer.

What happened?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »
there is no need for concern....i drink an ungodly amount of shakes.....if it were a problem, i would surely be dead by now!!!

bench

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:10:34 AM »
there is no need for concern....i drink an ungodly amount of shakes.....if it were a problem, i would surely be dead by now!!!

bench

;D

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »

bench

Maybe you are?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
It's scary to think that these companies might some day start getting their protein powder from China to keep costs down.  Then we might see high levels of metals, toxic or radioactive waste in our protein drinks.  I'm glad that companies like Consumer Reports and ConsumerLab.com test these products from time to time.

I spoke about this 6 yrs ago and everyone thought i was nuts. The company I was promoting at the time had their own facilities to test the raw ingredients they got in, and quite frequently would reject shipments. Whenever that happened, the supplier would say "Don't send it back. We'll send you a shipping label". The company would then simply slap the shipping label they got from the supplier onto the shipment and send their rejected shipment onto a competitor who gladly took the toxic batch. It's downright scary when you start to realize what's out there.
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
I spoke about this 6 yrs ago and everyone thought i was nuts. The company I was promoting at the time had their own facilities to test the raw ingredients they got in, and quite frequently would reject shipments. Whenever that happened, the supplier would say "Don't send it back. We'll send you a shipping label". The company would then simply slap the shipping label they got from the supplier onto the shipment and send their rejected shipment onto a competitor who gladly took the toxic batch. It's downright scary when you start to realize what's out there.

Proof that you spoke on it or it didn't happen. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 06:03:46 AM »

Isn't that highly unethical?  Sending known toxic products to a competitor knowing also that it will end up with the consumers out there?  Why not just send it back to the supplier or drop the supplier all together?  I would not promote a company that does this.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »
This is what's in mine:

"Undenatured Whey Protein Isolate, instantising agent (soy lecithin) [a very small amount is added]. Flavoured Options Also Include: Cocoa Powder (chocolate flavours only), Flavouring, Maltodextrin, Sucralose®, Colouring (Quinoline)."

It's pretty pure stuff IMO.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
hopefully some protein.....
No doubt about it...