Author Topic: Unemployment Benefits Lapse Causes Panic And Confusion For The Jobless  (Read 731 times)

Mons Venus

1 TRILLION FUCKING DOLLARS and counting for George W Bush's Wars.....but no help for unemployed.

Amazing.

Robert Lovejoy and his wife are losing sleep because they're unexpectedly losing their unemployment benefits.

"We get up earlier -- we can't sleep in because our minds are racing," said Lovejoy, who told HuffPost he'd received his final check on Wednesday, six months after losing his job as a video colorist for a production company in Philadelphia. "It's the difference between having health insurance, having an automobile and not being in default with my creditors."

The Lovejoys are among 42,800 long-term unemployed who will stop receiving benefits from the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry by the end of this week, according to U.S. Labor Department data. Across the country, 323,400 will prematurely exhaust their benefits this week because Congress failed to reauthorize several domestic aid programs before they lapsed on June 1, after the House and Senate left Washington for a Memorial Day recess.

The House passed its version of the "tax extenders" bill to preserve the unemployment benefits -- along with money to help states administer Medicaid programs and extra reimbursement for doctors who see Medicare patients, among other things -- on May 28, after the Senate had already skipped town. Now senators are fighting over the cost of the package and will probably not get it done until next week. The stimulus and several subsequent bills had given the unemployed extra weeks of benefits on top of the standard 26 weeks made available by states. In some areas, laid-off workers could get 99 weeks of benefits.

People like the Lovejoys will receive any benefits they missed after the president signs the bill, whenever that happens. Until then, they'll have to make do. Even one missed check can make life difficult for people who have already gone six months on only $320 week, the average size of an unemployment check.

"I think it's terrible that families, on top of everything else, are going through an emotional roller coaster," said Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) when asked by HuffPost Wednesday about the people missing checks. "Up and down. What's going to happen to them? Are they going to be able to make the house payment? Are they going to be able to put food on the table?"

"I think this is outrageous," said Sen. Jack Reed, Democrat of Rhode Island, where the unemployment rate is above 12 percent. "We have never failed to extend emergency benefits while the unemployment rate in the country is above 7.4 percent. This goes back several decades, several different administrations, it was done routinely, it was done because these people need our help."

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Good thing the near-trillion Obama dumped into the economy fixed this. LOL.  ::)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Mons is like a fucking broken record constantly bringing up the mistakes of the past administration while completely ignoring the total fuck ups of the current administration.  ::) If you want anyone to take you seriously at least try to tone down your bias a little bit instead of spreading your cheeks for this Pres everytime you post.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
I thought the TRILLIONS we spent since 2009 were supposed to deal with this?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
I thought the TRILLIONS we spent since 2009 were supposed to deal with this?

It's not a lack of money, it's a lack of them actually reauthorizing the legislation.  Big difference, chief.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
1 TRILLION FUCKING DOLLARS and counting for George W Bush's Wars.....but no help for unemployed.

The problem isn't helping the unemployed people looking for work and/or more training in order to find a better job. 

The problem is that the system enables and rewards people for not getting jobs.  There's no incentive at all to do anything but collect your money.  Why look for a shitty job that won't pay well when you can get unemployment?  Why take a shitty job that doesn't pay well when unemployment runs out when you can never work again and collect welfare checks that would be higher than what you'd make at any shitty job that would hire you? 

Why go into debt to get an education when you can just sit at home and let other people pay your bills for you? 

Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The problem isn't helping the unemployed people looking for work and/or more training in order to find a better job. 

The problem is that the system enables and rewards people for not getting jobs.  There's no incentive at all to do anything but collect your money.  Why look for a shitty job that won't pay well when you can get unemployment?  Why take a shitty job that doesn't pay well when unemployment runs out when you can never work again and collect welfare checks that would be higher than what you'd make at any shitty job that would hire you? 

Why go into debt to get an education when you can just sit at home and let other people pay your bills for you? 

QFT - when I was unemployed after school, I knocked on doors, cold calls, hit the pavement. 

I dont see many people doing that because they simply can collect for 96 weeks. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

That's not the way unemployment works (at least, not in Florida). I know that, when I was on it, you HAD to show up (bare minimum) once a week and apply for jobs. I remember that dot matrix printer, spitting out the location and phone number, hourly wage, etc. That was MANDATORY, or your UE $$$ went bye-bye (not that you got that much, anyway).

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
From what I understand, all you have to do is make a phone call now. 

I would round up all the unemployed and send them to LA if they wanted to keep collecting.