Author Topic: Water filter  (Read 2809 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Water filter
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 05:09:31 AM »
Contaminants, pathogenic bacterial/planktonic organisms. Regarding long term health studies, i'm not sure, but would expect that there is a monitoring system in place. I can only speak for Scotland.

Chlorine vs chloramine i think would basically come down to two things: cost and taste/odour. Chloramine hangs around longer, so less frequent use/lower amounts required and hence likely lower expenditure. Chloramine isn't as noticeable in water, chlorine can put some people off drinking water.

One of the things I heard about US water is that the number of polio cases (I think) dropped so drastically after they introduced chlorination that it was regarded as the greatest thing since sliced bread and no one really bothered to have a good look at possible downsides.  Is it the case that chlorine will inhibit magnesium absorption, or in some way fuck with a person's magnesium levels?

They also put fluoride in US water.  Sounds like a good idea except it helps aluminium get into the brain, and the US has a disproportionately high incidence of Alzheimers.  Is aluminium sulfate connected somehow with chloramine water treatment?  As an organic matter precipitant or something?  If so, is it removed in some way?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 06:52:11 AM »
No thanks,I'll keep the drugs and chemicals :)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 08:59:41 AM »
One of the things I heard about US water is that the number of polio cases (I think) dropped so drastically after they introduced chlorination that it was regarded as the greatest thing since sliced bread and no one really bothered to have a good look at possible downsides.  Is it the case that chlorine will inhibit magnesium absorption, or in some way fuck with a person's magnesium levels?

They also put fluoride in US water.  Sounds like a good idea except it helps aluminium get into the brain, and the US has a disproportionately high incidence of Alzheimers.  Is aluminium sulfate connected somehow with chloramine water treatment?  As an organic matter precipitant or something?  If so, is it removed in some way?
So Tape your recommendation so as I dont have to spend loads of cash is Spring Bottled Water and a Britta?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:29 AM »
So Tape your recommendation so as I dont have to spend loads of cash is Spring Bottled Water and a Britta?

Or just drink beer.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »

Or just drink beer.
Good point fuck water.

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
Well water for us country folk without filtration but the water is superb. I live in an area where they bottle alot of water out of our springs and it tastes better than the spring water to me.

newmom

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »
Well water for us country folk without filtration but the water is superb. I live in an area where they bottle alot of water out of our springs.

and its free, amen to well water

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
Well water for us country folk without filtration but the water is superb. I live in an area where they bottle alot of water out of our springs and it tastes better than the spring water to me.
Yep you got the ticket man I'm sure Tapeworm will agree.

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 12:48:31 PM »
I got a Mavea pitcher. Really like it. The filter lasts a long time and it's slick looking.

http://www.mavea.com/mavea/index.html?L=0

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 12:59:45 PM »
anybody using a water filter?
 i was thinking of getting this one  http://www.aquasana.com/product_detail.php?product_id=1
supposedly get rid of hormones,drugs and chemicals and keep the natural minerals...
most of this is a bunch of crap, years back i bought one of the originals of these things, long story short it got recalled because it might cause cancer. end of water filters for me.
F

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 08:55:51 AM »
Yep you got the ticket man I'm sure Tapeworm will agree.

Lol.  Don't go putting too much stock in my bs.  But ya you can't go wrong with spring water imo.  No need to filter it.

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
Lol.  Don't go putting too much stock in my bs.  But ya you can't go wrong with spring water imo.  No need to filter it.

Except that the plastic bottles leak BPA into the water. BPA has been linked to increased risk of cancer, diabetes and reproductive problems. Mimics estrogen in the body.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »
Except that the plastic bottles leak BPA into the water. BPA has been linked to increased risk of cancer, diabetes and reproductive problems. Mimics estrogen in the body.

True but I thought this only happened with heat or UV exposure?

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »
True but I thought this only happened with heat or UV exposure?

Unfortunately not. And to make matters worse, often times the bottles will sit in hot trucks or cargo crates, speeding up the process. It's a mess.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »
Unfortunately not. And to make matters worse, often times the bottles will sit in hot trucks or cargo crates, speeding up the process. It's a mess.

Aren't those big plastic bottles that you put on a water cooler made of PET tho?

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »
Yup. They're even worse than the soft plastic ones. It's a mess. I guess at some point you just have to throw up your hands and realize you ain't gonna live forever. Unless you're Arnold.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »
That sucks!